Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That Moment When...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • That Moment When...

    I love hearing about little parts of people's gaming experiences. Especially the things that are most memorable in a game, that stick with you even years later. Please share a "moment" in your game that tickles you, touches you or horrifies you. (Maybe it reached out in the dark to tickle you in a horrifying way.. )

    I'll probably share some more as I think of them, but here goes for a shot out of the barrel:

    That moment when your werewolf player decides they absolutely have to hunt down and eat that minor, but critically plot important mortal.. and his grandmother and auntie.

    The minor character was just an easy going drug-selling college student, who happened to be one of the first links in a nasty social network of drug dealers that were central to the game. This character was important because he got into the drug dealing via a high school friend who was deeper in the network, and thus was a plot element.

    The student went home to his grandma and auntie's house to lay low for a while when HIS drug supplier wound up missing, with evidence of violence. The wolf easily tracked him there, staked him out for a while, and then barged in. As an ST I tried to discourage the action by having Granny grab her shotgun under the couch and that was a big mistake. The wolf went Garou and ate everyone.

    It was the first of many scenes were the wolf walked/drove down the road as the sound of sirens fired up in the distance. He went on to eat many people.. let's see. A werewolf assassin(hunter) whom he got a drop on, a teenage wolf blooded girl who had fallen in with a vampire controlled gang, a few other more grizzled gang members, and a very nice old lady and her husband who happened to be ghouls..

    No body, no crime?

  • #2
    Looks like he took a page from the wolf in Red Riding Hood's story.

    Comment


    • #3
      Their Harmony must be abysmal by now.


      Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

      Comment


      • #4
        In our time travel adventure a character lost their ghost familiar, who wasn't with them when they fell through time (it having occurred during a fight with other mages and not being able to entirely rely on him in case one was a Death mage). They got the Merit dots back but I was going to introduce another one. They didn't know the territory, it being thousands of years ago and far, far away, so they overheard the tale of the javelin-thrower who got healed by Snake in exchange for not using javelins. He came from their village and one day a half-giant, one of the nephilim, grabbed a kid to eat while he was out foraging. The hunter went after him and, fighting a foe far beyond his means, eventually threw the javelin he was so good at throwing and kept on him to remind him of his debt. It killed the nephilim and with his last words he managed to tell the kid how to get home.

        So I figure by now the mage is going to find this noble hunter's ghost and make it their familiar, going so far as to stat it out with amechra's Minor Template here, as it's sort of cursed by Snake.

        They got ready for Ghost Summon or whatever the spell is and I was looking forward to having this new character around. But instead, they summoned the nephilim. A massive, cannibalistic savage of a ghost who was more than willing to ally with the mage providing they would let him continue being a monster. Ended up using an Advanced Familiar Merit for it but there you go.

        Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
        Their Harmony must be abysmal by now.
        Potentially, but while killing humans is a break towards spirit, breaking an Oath like 'Do Not Eat The Flesh Of Man,' breaks towards Flesh so they might have ended up where they started.
        Last edited by nofather; 07-13-2017, 08:15 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Writing mine before I read the above examples so that it's fresh in my memory. (some of these are as a player and some as the ST)

          D:tD:
          • That moment when a player's amorphous black goo demon w/ a hobo Cover (The Good Doctor) is so desperate to get a better cover w/ a better quality of life to better provide for it's Daughter that the character stalks, frightens, and threatens a wealthy business person into signing over her soul. Then coming to pick up the debt the next day, accidentally suffocating one of the cops parked outside the APT complex (it's amorphous liquid-ish goo) and claiming the debt only for the daughter to not fully understand why her father doesn't exist anymore. So many different emotions at that table: horror at the character who would be a Mr. Freeze-like villain anywhere else, sympathy for the situation, sadness for the daughter.
          • That moment when the characters realized that the scared, newly fallen demon in the shape of a schoolgirl that one of the characters befriended is the chess master angel turned Unchained (named Vesuvius) that murdered their friend in the last Story and they've been hunting ever since. They found out a lot more early than I intended but it was so great.
          • And to tie the above moments together: just before the Ring found out that the Demon they've been hunting (Vesuvius) was the squeamish young schoolgirl that one of the characters had befriended, both the "useless" demon and the daughter of The Good Doctor from the first moment, were told to hide in the bolt hole (a private pocket dimension that a character can own) of another character. the former because "She'd only be in the way" and the latter because agents of Vesuvius have been hunting for The good Doctor's daughter for the whole story so this would keep her safe. Vesuvius took the daughter's soul as its Cover and when the above moment (of them finding out), the Good doctor was devastated.
          Really loved the whole chronicle really.


          Dreamscaping Innocents:
          • That moment that my character and her friends ran from room of a house to room of a house trying to escape some wraith. Doesn't sound like much but I tell you, this whole game was amazingly terrifying.
          Last edited by xiongrey; 07-13-2017, 01:21 PM.



          Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

          Comment


          • #6
            xiongrey I have never dived into Demon, but I love that epic feeling of a big reveal - it tips a hat to the ST who had some mad planning skills to get to that reveal.

            nofather That's hilarious, I love big monsters

            Vent0 Yes, he had some harmony drop - but t's a roll each time and we didn't roll on a per-person basis but more on a per-situation basis. As an ST it's really fun to watch players just dive into that monster spiral and embrace it. It can be surprisingly impossible to pull them back out of it and why would you??

            Thanks for the comments all, any one else got stories to share?

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm running a Promethean game at the moment and a few sessions back everyone at the table realised I was never going to be able to top the horror we all felt at one of the player characters. The group's resident Galateid, Elsie, was built to be this character whose idea of humanity was based largely on magazines and 1930s housewife tropes without actually understanding the underlying emotions that were meant to accompany that behaviour. So she's a possessive kidnapper who stole an infant because a woman's got to have a child (and a husband, she's always hunting for a husband, the current top contender is probably a Sublimati and honestly I think that's the safest option available for everyone concerned), but doesn't actually care about the child and only feeds it infrequently as this rote behaviour she feels she's expected to do, not because the child is hungry. And all of that was bad enough, but then she picked up the Choke Hold merit and the player decided that one part of Elsie's character they hadn't explored yet was the sexual element that undercut all of the above mothering/wife behaviour.

              Anywho, a few sessions back the characters need a pen and Elsie goes off with no money to get one. She tries to steal one from the corner shop, is spotted, and ends up in a grapple with the shopkeeper. The player busts out that Choke Hold manoeuvre, and at their request I describe the ensuing fight scene in the most sexualised terminology I can come up with, both in metaphor (the victim stiffening just before he expires) and in actuality (Elsie grinding herself against her victim's body).

              I don't normally include a massive amount of sexual stuff in my games, so... uh, that made for a change of pace.

              Comment


              • #8
                Azahul That moment when the players realize their personal relationships will never be quite the same... :P That sounds pretty awkward and poignant. I love the idea of the Mother Role twisted into something monstrous (as you might imagine!)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mother's Love View Post
                  Azahul That moment when the players realize their personal relationships will never be quite the same... :P That sounds pretty awkward and poignant. I love the idea of the Mother Role twisted into something monstrous (as you might imagine!)
                  Hahaha, I can see how it might appeal The player once described her character idea as, "How bad of a mother could I actually be if all I cared about was the idea of being a mother", and it has led to more than a few moments in the game where we've all paused for a spot of nightmarish reflection on how we got to this point.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Azahul View Post
                    I'm running a Promethean game at the moment and a few sessions back everyone at the table realised I was never going to be able to top the horror we all felt at one of the player characters. The group's resident Galateid, Elsie, was built to be this character whose idea of humanity was based largely on magazines and 1930s housewife tropes without actually understanding the underlying emotions that were meant to accompany that behaviour. So she's a possessive kidnapper who stole an infant because a woman's got to have a child (and a husband, she's always hunting for a husband, the current top contender is probably a Sublimati and honestly I think that's the safest option available for everyone concerned), but doesn't actually care about the child and only feeds it infrequently as this rote behaviour she feels she's expected to do, not because the child is hungry. And all of that was bad enough, but then she picked up the Choke Hold merit and the player decided that one part of Elsie's character they hadn't explored yet was the sexual element that undercut all of the above mothering/wife behaviour.

                    Anywho, a few sessions back the characters need a pen and Elsie goes off with no money to get one. She tries to steal one from the corner shop, is spotted, and ends up in a grapple with the shopkeeper. The player busts out that Choke Hold manoeuvre, and at their request I describe the ensuing fight scene in the most sexualised terminology I can come up with, both in metaphor (the victim stiffening just before he expires) and in actuality (Elsie grinding herself against her victim's body).

                    I don't normally include a massive amount of sexual stuff in my games, so... uh, that made for a change of pace.
                    And doesn't deliberately inflicting Galateid Disquiet on an infant count?

                    Mine's a lesson in rush jobs, broken expectations, imprecise naming, and crossover gone sideways. It ended with a Promethean shoving a spear (that may or may not have been the Spear of Destiny) representing a Plot-Device-Level main-line connection to the Principle straight into the maw of Ammut (from Mummy). Yeah, player action blew up my prior planning and I just played it by ear (leaning perhaps too heavily on Rule of Cool) into that. Had to wrap up the Chronicle anyways, and at least it was momentous.


                    Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

                      And doesn't deliberately inflicting Galateid Disquiet on an infant count?
                      Oh yeah, that happened.

                      Making Elsie jealous is playing with fire. When one of the other player characters started actually taking proper care of her baby she used the fact that her Disquiet causes dark, possessive attraction towards her to force the baby to want her more.

                      This character disturbs me on a truly visceral level. Seriously.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                        Yeah, player action blew up my prior planning and I just played it by ear (leaning perhaps too heavily on Rule of Cool) into that. Had to wrap up the Chronicle anyways, and at least it was momentous.
                        Players doing the way unexpected is pretty much why the rule of cool exists, I think. It's much better than going "oh well guys, didn't see that coming - totally need to stop and plan now so... we'll meet next week."

                        I think going along with xiongrey 's comment about running around the house like crazy.. I had a moment in a game where I was a mortal surrounded by vampires chatting and casually posturing to each other (as vampires seem to love to do) and it was very cool and freaky.

                        I'll throw in another one that was from that same mortal's experience.. That moment when in game, and out of game you're not sure what's real and what's not real when dealing with mind influencing powers. (As in your character understanding, and you as the player thinking about your character in a meta-game understanding way..)

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X