[Dark Eras 2] One Thousand and One Nights - Islamic Golden Age Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Dark Eras 2] One Thousand and One Nights - Islamic Golden Age Thread

We need sooner or later one, so let’s have start now, with DE2 funded. 😊 Kickstarter on book is still rolling, so we see what’s come out of it.

On start I want to point that even if I still hope for one backer rising Changeling as part of this Dark Era – Changeling like The Magnificent Century TV series ( even if few century behind it ) would be truly beautiful, working with Era title ( 1001 Nights in feel ) and let us see ‘real’ Jinn ( as True Fae of West, but slight other in feel )!

On second note – beside above, I’m rather okay with choosing of Vampire and Beasts as gamelines for this period. Only I hope that Beast’s one page crossover sections ( like those from DEC Fearful Lesson ) will return here and we could see few paragraphs on Mage Islamic Diamond Orders and maybe some Nameless. I would very like to read how Diamond idea spread to those terrains and how diplomacy between local Darshanas ideas, especially coming from Rome Empire. I also want to point that this Era is time when Tremere Order join Diamond alliance from Eastern Europe territory.

And returning to Vampire and Beast – I hope to see ideas on ‘real’ Ghūl – Would they be non-Kindred flesh eating vampires ( like from Walking Dead VtR book )? Or maybe various Begotten with different Hungers? Or both? It remind me our Tokyo Ghoul as inspiration discussion, two years back. 😊

What are your’s ideas or hopes for this Dark Era?

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
    WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

I'm still not sure how "750-present" counts as a setting, really.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
      I think that it's about vampires Torpor, with Elders going sleep after unlife in Gold Age, and awakening in modern nights. With Changeling, it would be simply ( but weird ) going Durance in Golden Age and returning millenium later.

Comment

Some thing about Ghuls in Beast: The Primodrial I found long ago...

Originally posted by Beast: The Primordial Chapter 1
        While some Namtaru wear faces of fear, the Arabic ghul wears any face it pleases. A shapeshifter most comfortable as a monstrous hyena, it is revolting not for its face or voice but for its eating habits —it prefers human flesh, a diet few Namtaru tolerate in the present day. Some Namtaru say the ghul hunts primarily in the dreamscape, using its Primordial Self as a deception to lure.

Comment

I assume it means we'll get things like Covenant writeups that cover them in thier still active modern nights forms, etc.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

There is a 1,001 nights court in the Changeling core for Toronto, the tie in for Modern Changeling is obvious.

Comment

I would very like to read how Diamond idea spread to those terrains and how diplomacy between local Darshanas ideas, especially coming from Rome Empire.
              It probably wouldn't need to. The Arab Empire included some of the major centres of the Roman Empire, the Orders were probably already in place before the Muslim Conquest.

Could it be a typo? I mean, the title already has BCE instead of CE. Also, the text is pretty clearly referring to the specific era.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It probably wouldn't need to. The Arab Empire included some of the major centres of the Roman Empire, the Orders were probably already in place before the Muslim Conquest.
                And more to the point, multiple Islamic Empires (not just the Arab ones) saw themselves as being the inheritors of Rome's legacy. There was an entire Sultanate in Anatolia that was simply called Rum. Most Westerners know that the German Kaiser and Russian Tsar both titled themselves after the Roman Caesars at the outbreak of WWI, but one of the Ottoman Caliph's titles was Kayser-i Rum. I don't think I need to translate that for you.

On top of that, Islamic scientists and philosophers deeply respected both Plato and Aristotle, translating many of their works from Greek to Arabic and writing extensive commentaries on them. Western science and philosophy owes and extremely deep debt to Arab and Persian writers that unfortunately goes unacknowledged all too often. If anything, the Diamond was likely reforged to something closer to what we know today by the Islamic Golden Age.

Anyhow, here are possible expansions for 1001 Nights I'm contemplating:
                • 1001 Nights: Add Deviant for Islamic Science
                • 1001 Nights: Add Demon for Pre-Quaranic Angels
                • 1001 Nights: Add Mage for the Nizari State and historically accurate/not racist Subtle Ones Legacy (building on/rewriting/reintegrating Tome of the Watchtowers)
                • 1001 Nights: Add Hunter for Ahl al-Jabal, including the Ismaili diaspora after the Mongol Invasions (building on Ancient Bloodlines)

CofD booklists:
                Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

While in the modern age, Destroyer Wolf is wrecking the place, it's doing so because Dana-Ur, Creator Wolf, has been buried or imprisoned in Basra, Iraq for a long time that could coincide with the Islamic Golden Age. If so, it could offer another tribe, fallen in modern nights without their totem. Potentially the Warden, from Werewolf's Modern Day Dubai, could have an origin there, as the mysterious being seems to rise with the city's prosperity.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                    And more to the point, multiple Islamic Empires (not just the Arab ones) saw themselves as being the inheritors of Rome's legacy. There was an entire Sultanate in Anatolia that was simply called Rum. Most Westerners know that the German Kaiser and Russian Tsar both titled themselves after the Roman Caesars at the outbreak of WWI, but one of the Ottoman Caliph's titles was Kayser-i Rum. I don't think I need to translate that for you.

On top of that, Islamic scientists and philosophers deeply respected both Plato and Aristotle, translating many of their works from Greek to Arabic and writing extensive commentaries on them. Western science and philosophy owes and extremely deep debt to Arab and Persian writers that unfortunately goes unacknowledged all too often. If anything, the Diamond was likely reforged to something closer to what we know today by the Islamic Golden Age.

Anyhow, here are possible expansions for 1001 Nights I'm contemplating:
                    • 1001 Nights: Add Deviant for Islamic Science
                    • 1001 Nights: Add Demon for Pre-Quaranic Angels
                    • 1001 Nights: Add Mage for the Nizari State and historically accurate/not racist Subtle Ones Legacy (building on/rewriting/reintegrating Tome of the Watchtowers)
                    • 1001 Nights: Add Hunter for Ahl al-Jabal, including the Ismaili diaspora after the Mongol Invasions (building on Ancient Bloodlines)
                    Your not even considering Changeling?

Comment

Yeah, Jinni sound a lot like Fae

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

One of the major True Fae in Night Horrors: Grim Fears is basically a genie forced to give wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

Your not even considering Changeling?
                          Not even slightly. I'll unpack why though and nothing is stopping one of the other four backers from adding Changeling in.

Here's the thing, I totallyget why people want Changeling I this era, and I agree that it seems like a good fit. Really good. Like, if I had enough time, I could write it myself and I have written modern courts for Abu Dhabi where the Changelings view themselves as Jinn. Given that I'm plugging a lot of money into this, I'd rather not add a gameline that I could write and actually have started to build. If someone else adds it, I will ecstatic, but I won't be the one to do it.

One top of that, I have a lot of history with Islam. One of my two majors on my first degree was history and a lot of my classes were Islamic History or the History of Science, in which there is a great deal of overlap. That also means that in the seven years finishing that degree, I have continued an extraordinary amount into Islamic history and culture for fun. On top of that, I lived and travelled in the Middle East for three years, I have lots of friends who are Muslim, both in Canada and Abroad, and my pattern is an Ismaili Shi'ite (as will be any mini-mes, whenever that bridge gets crossed). So I have a lot of fish to fry when it comes to the Middle East and Islam. Changeling doesn't really scratch any of those itches.

Deviant and Promethean do through Islamic science and alchemy.

Werewolf does, its linked to the history of Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

Demon does, pre-Quaranic religion is an awesome fit for the Unchained, and there's probably only a couple hundred people on the planet who know about it. I'm one of them.

Mage and Hunter do. They are already linked to Ismailis through other products, and the history of Ismailis will be the history of my kids. It would be so cool to use Vampire, Mage, and Hunter to play games that explore their culture and faith. Plus, I would love to see Ismailis finally described in CofD without using the word heresy once.

Now, all of that said, I don't even know if I'm going to expand 1001 Nights. I'm just posting to generate ideas and see what people think about them (including if there's an idea I missed). Honestly, if you see me adding Changeling to an Era, WWI is likely your best bet. The home front, recruitment, and later conscription are all things scream into to use the Others as metaphors.

CofD booklists:
                          Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Also, not really familiar with Mage or the Golden Age of Islam (bar one class on Muslim Spain). Could you please help me understand what was wrong with the Subtle Ones Legacy as originally written

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

Not even slightly. I'll unpack why though and nothing is stopping one of the other four backers from adding Changeling in.

Here's the thing, I totallyget why people want Changeling I this era, and I agree that it seems like a good fit. Really good. Like, if I had enough time, I could write it myself and I have written modern courts for Abu Dhabi where the Changelings view themselves as Jinn. Given that I'm plugging a lot of money into this, I'd rather not add a gameline that I could write and actually have started to build. If someone else adds it, I will ecstatic, but I won't be the one to do it.

One top of that, I have a lot of history with Islam. One of my two majors on my first degree was history and a lot of my classes were Islamic History or the History of Science, in which there is a great deal of overlap. That also means that in the seven years finishing that degree, I have continued an extraordinary amount into Islamic history and culture for fun. On top of that, I lived and travelled in the Middle East for three years, I have lots of friends who are Muslim, both in Canada and Abroad, and my pattern is an Ismaili Shi'ite (as will be any mini-mes, whenever that bridge gets crossed). So I have a lot of fish to fry when it comes to the Middle East and Islam. Changeling doesn't really scratch any of those itches.

Deviant and Promethean do through Islamic science and alchemy.

Werewolf does, its linked to the history of Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

Demon does, pre-Quaranic religion is an awesome fit for the Unchained, and there's probably only a couple hundred people on the planet who know about it. I'm one of them.

Mage and Hunter do. They are already linked to Ismailis through other products, and the history of Ismailis will be the history of my kids. It would be so cool to use Vampire, Mage, and Hunter to play games that explore their culture and faith. Plus, I would love to see Ismailis finally described in CofD without using the word heresy once.

Now, all of that said, I don't even know if I'm going to expand 1001 Nights. I'm just posting to generate ideas and see what people think about them (including if there's an idea I missed). Honestly, if you see me adding Changeling to an Era, WWI is likely your best bet. The home front, recruitment, and later conscription are all things scream into to use the Others as metaphors.
                              Wow, okay then, at least I know who to go to if I have any questions about Islamic History on this board ;D

I'm curious as to why pre-Quaranic religion would be a good fit for Demon, that seems interesting and I'm only alittle bit familiar with that religion, I've heard of the Asnam, and I think Allah was originally a Moon God in Arabian polytheism, I know the holy site at Mecca predates Islam, but it used to have idols back then. Not much more then that.

Comment

Working...
                              X