Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compatibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Compatibility

    Are these systems, under Chronicle of darkness, (new world of darkness, 2nd edition being formal title i believe); all able to play and interact with each other. Could I successfully run a game with a vampire, werewolf, and changeling? With only minimal effort to make sure play power levels are all with in ball park of each other?

  • #2
    Originally posted by thecowley View Post
    Are these systems, under Chronicle of darkness, (new world of darkness, 2nd edition being formal title i believe); all able to play and interact with each other. Could I successfully run a game with a vampire, werewolf, and changeling? With only minimal effort to make sure play power levels are all with in ball park of each other?

    Yes, you can.

    The whole point of having say... humans as the default instead of a supernatural was that it essentially means rules wise, all supernaturals are humans mechanically plus whatever baggage they had as part of being a supernatural.

    you might need to do some slight Homebrew in that some rule or power interactions might not be intended, but it's totally doable.


    Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
    DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
    Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

    Comment


    • #3
      so with in reason, most systems should over lap with out much difficulty

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by thecowley View Post
        Are these systems, under Chronicle of darkness, (new world of darkness, 2nd edition being formal title i believe);
        I think the formal title is "Chronicles of Darkness?"

        all able to play and interact with each other. Could I successfully run a game with a vampire, werewolf, and changeling?
        Yup.

        With only minimal effort to make sure play power levels are all with in ball park of each other?
        Well.... "minimal" is the word you want to watch out. CoD games give compatible systems, not balanced systems. Even the developers acknowledge that demons, mummies, and mages in general are going to roll over everybody else.

        Also something of note is the definition of "power level." For example, a vampire whose character concept isn't being a combat specialist will have a tough time duking it out with a werewolf. But the forte of the Kindred in general is to avoid getting into physical fisticuffs in the first place.


        MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post



          Also something of note is the definition of "power level." For example, a vampire whose character concept isn't being a combat specialist will have a tough time duking it out with a werewolf. But the forte of the Kindred in general is to avoid getting into physical fisticuffs in the first place.
          true enough. I'm not worried if every one can fight equally per say. but that every one can shine in unique ways that seem to be of equal footing. While I expect that werewolf character to out brawl the other two, the vampire has their deceptions, and the changeling straight up charms. just examples, ive only seen the mage system so far myself

          Comment


          • #6
            .
            Originally posted by thecowley View Post
            Chronicle of darkness, (new world of darkness, 2nd edition being formal title i believe)
            Just to clear this up...
            • August 2013, The God-Machine Chronicle was published. It was sold as a setting (or, "Chronicle") book for the game that was known at the time as World of Darkness (colloquially as "new World of Darkness"), featuring optional rules updates for the game's system, the Storytelling System.
            • December 2013, Blood and Smoke: the Strix Chronicle was published. Like The God Machine Chronicle, it was sold as a setting book featuring optional rules updates to Vampire: the Requiem, to bring it up to date with the revisions to the core Storytelling System.
            • August 2014, the updated Storytelling System were officially announced as the second edition of the Storytelling System, and became re-branded as the Revised Storytelling System. A new book, World of Darkness, 2nd Edition was announced, which would be a full core rulebook for the Revised Storytelling System, featuring the rules that had been presented as optional in The God-Machine Chronicle written in as the default rules. The Revised Storytelling System books that were under development at the time, Tooth and Claw: The Idigam Chronicle and Mystery Play: the Fallen World Chronicle, as well as the recently-announced Too Solid Flesh: the Huntsman Chronicle, were consequently renamed Werewolf: the Forsaken, 2nd Edition, Mage: the Awakening, 2nd Edition, and Changeling: the Lost, 2nd Edition respectively.
            • December 2014, Blood and Smoke: the Strix Chronicle was re-released with a new cover and new title, now being called Vampire: the Requiem, 2nd Edition.
            • March 2015, Werewolf: the Forsaken, 2nd Edition was published.
            • October 2015, publishing rights forClassic World of Darkness (known colloquially as "old world of darkness"), World of Darkness, and the other White Wolf Publishing Intellectual Properties, as well as the name "White Wolf Publishing" were bought from Crowd Control Productions by Paradox Interactive. They created a new subsidiary under the name White Wolf Publishing.
            • December 2015, the new White Wolf Publishing changed the name of the intellectual property previously known as Classic World of Darkness to World of Darkness, and the name of the intellectual property previously known as World of Darkness to Chronicles of Darkness. The book that had previously been in development under the title World of Darkness, 2nd Edition was consequently renamed Chronicles of Darkness, and released later that same year under that title.
            So no, Chronicles of Darkness is not formally titled New World of Darkness, 2nd Edition. The fist edition of Chronicles of Dakness is just colloquially referred to as New World of Darkness.I don't blame you for being confused. I would be utterly baffled myself if I hadn't been spending half my life on these forums for the past five years.
            Last edited by Charlaquin; 07-16-2017, 12:50 AM.


            Onyx Path Forum Moderator

            My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

            Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
              .
              Just to clear this up...
              • August 2013, The God-Machine Chronicle was published. It was sold as a setting (or, "Chronicle") book for the game that was known at the time as World of Darkness (colloquially as "new World of Darkness"), featuring optional rules updates for the game's system, the Storytelling System.
              • December 2013, Blood and Smoke: the Strix Chronicle was published. Like The God Machine Chronicle, it was sold as a setting book featuring optional rules updates to Vampire: the Requiem, to bring it up to date with the revisions to the core Storytelling System.
              • August 2014, the updated Storytelling System were officially announced as the second edition of the Storytelling System, and became re-branded as the Revised Storytelling System. A new book, World of Darkness, 2nd Edition was announced, which would be a full core rulebook for the Revised Storytelling System, featuring the rules that had been presented as optional in The God-Machine Chronicle written in as the default rules. The Revised Storytelling System books that were under development at the time, Tooth and Claw: The Idigam Chronicle and Mystery Play: the Fallen World Chronicle, as well as the recently-announced Too Solid Flesh: the Huntsman Chronicle, were consequently renamed Werewolf: the Forsaken, 2nd Edition, Mage: the Awakening, 2nd Edition, and Changeling: the Lost, 2nd Edition respectively.
              • December 2014, Blood and Smoke: the Strix Chronicle was re-released with a new cover and new title, now being called Vampire: the Requiem, 2nd Edition.
              • March 2015, Werewolf: the Forsaken, 2nd Edition was published.
              • October 2015, publishing rights forClassic World of Darkness (known colloquially as "old world of darkness"), World of Darkness, and the other White Wolf Publishing Intellectual Properties, as well as the name "White Wolf Publishing" were bought from Crowd Control Productions by Paradox Interactive. They created a new subsidiary under the name White Wolf Publishing.
              • December 2015, the new White Wolf Publishing changed the name of the intellectual property previously known as Classic World of Darkness to World of Darkness, and the name of the intellectual property previously known as World of Darkness to Chronicles of Darkness. The book that had previously been in development under the title World of Darkness, 2nd Edition was consequently renamed Chronicles of Darkness, and released later that same year under that title.
              So no, Chronicles of Darkness is not formally titled New World of Darkness, 2nd Edition. The fist edition of Chronicles of Dakness is just colloquially referred to as New World of Darkness.I don't blame you for being confused. I would be utterly baffled myself if I hadn't been spending half my life on these forums for the past five years.
              thanks for the explanation, will help me in describing it to my other newcomers to the system as well

              may I also venture a guess that any of the line published after 2014 are the ones meant to be interchangeable with each other
              Last edited by thecowley; 07-16-2017, 12:55 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                .Just to clear this up...
                Charlaquin , I really think this post should be made like sticky to main boards and just be quoted for everyone asking this kind question. You really nailed it here - just do not let to make it go away with topics flood in coming weeks.


                Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
                My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

                Comment


                • #9
                  So, I've actually played in a crossover game, so let me offer my advice.

                  The games systems are not balanced, but that doesn't mean they aren't fair. Let me explain.

                  I played the sole vampire in a game with two werewolves, a beast, and a mage. I was also the character with the lowest supernatural tolerance.

                  While the other characters were more powerful, I had more merits, and thus more connections to get us out of trouble (vampires in general have some really awesome merits that are focused on mortal society).

                  Let me point out my proudest moment in the game. Our mage was trapped in a time loop of shifting sands by a master of time. He was unable to escape, but then I walked onto the scene. My BP 1 vampire used dominate 1 to defeat this master of time; "Don't Cast Magic" is a three sentence phrase.

                  So as I said, the systems may not be balanced, but that doesn't mean they aren't fair.

                  (We ruled using mana to clear mental conditions as casting magic, for those who might not understand why the mage didn't just clear mesmerize. We also ruled that they had to actually know about the possibility of a condition, and dominate is very subtle.)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ever Professional View Post
                    So, I've actually played in a crossover game, so let me offer my advice.

                    The games systems are not balanced, but that doesn't mean they aren't fair. Let me explain.

                    I played the sole vampire in a game with two werewolves, a beast, and a mage. I was also the character with the lowest supernatural tolerance.

                    While the other characters were more powerful, I had more merits, and thus more connections to get us out of trouble (vampires in general have some really awesome merits that are focused on mortal society).

                    Let me point out my proudest moment in the game. Our mage was trapped in a time loop of shifting sands by a master of time. He was unable to escape, but then I walked onto the scene. My BP 1 vampire used dominate 1 to defeat this master of time; "Don't Cast Magic" is a three sentence phrase.

                    So as I said, the systems may not be balanced, but that doesn't mean they aren't fair.

                    (We ruled using mana to clear mental conditions as casting magic, for those who might not understand why the mage didn't just clear mesmerize. We also ruled that they had to actually know about the possibility of a condition, and dominate is very subtle.)

                    Pretty much what i meant. I figured each creature/pc type/race would have its one advantages, but so long as they mesh well enough, I can make it work

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by thecowley View Post


                      Pretty much what i meant. I figured each creature/pc type/race would have its one advantages, but so long as they mesh well enough, I can make it work
                      Yeah, if you know what you're doing then you can make it work. However, if you're gonna run a crossover game then I'd suggest having everyone make characters together so that there isn't a lot of overlap.

                      Like vampires in general have some of the best merits socially, but mages with certain arcana can just cast a spell (admittedly at the highest levels) to have social mertis without spending xp on them. I believe werewolves also have some gifts and rites that affect organizations, while in general vampires have to rely on the merits.

                      So the real challenge to a crossover game isn't balancing the systems (don't try it, just trust me on this one), it's keeping every player relevant and giving each one a time to shine.

                      Though I think there is supposed to be a crossover chronicle coming out at some point (admittedly, I know next to nothing about it). So, when that comes out that should provide some helpful tips, and probably some good stories as well.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by thecowley View Post
                        Pretty much what i meant. I figured each creature/pc type/race would have its one advantages, but so long as they mesh well enough, I can make it work
                        I recommend having all the players play the same splat. The different splats are designed for certain types of games with different themes, and most splats have their unique social conditions and goals that won't mesh well.
                        Vampires will have a hard time doing anything during the day. Werewolves need to have contact with Spirits or they won't be able to buy Renown and unlock new Gifts. Mages will outshine all other splats (except Mummy and Demon) in the areas they're good at. Changelings are hunted by their Keeper and by Huntsmen. Demons are hiding en masse from the God-Machine and spend most of their time trying to mess around with it in various ways.
                        The different gamelines are compatible ruleswise as in a cabal of mages can run into a throng of prometheans and start obsessing over this new mystery or a vampire NPC has joined the PCs' pack of werewolves for whatever reason, but the themes and challenges in one gameline are specifically designed for that particular splat.


                        Bloodline: The Stygians
                        Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Chronicles of Darkness splats are a bit like Bionicle sets. If you want to connect them together all the components will fit, but the end result might not be pretty.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                            Chronicles of Darkness splats are a bit like Bionicle sets. If you want to connect them together all the components will fit, but the end result might not be pretty.
                            But when you do manage to make it work, it looks fuckin' awesome.


                            Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I do recommend crossovers, though, once you're familiar with the gamelines.
                              (If you're not familiar with them you risk getting overwhelmed by all the splat specific rules.)
                              We've had great fun doing ventures into the Shadow and mucking about with werewolves in our Vampire campaign (as well as broking shady deals with the Seers, exploring different branches of TFV, going on expeditions in the Underworld, etc). Mage is literally built for exploring mysteries and the other gamelines are ripe with them. The Pack (a Werewolf sourcebok) is a great source for how other splats might join and take part of a pack. I remember seeing that a demon can take another supernatural creature as a Cover.

                              Edit: What malonkey1 said.
                              Last edited by Tessie; 07-17-2017, 11:34 AM.


                              Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X