[Micro-template] Conjurers - Power born of sanity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Micro-template] Conjurers - Power born of sanity

There are those who say they can pull objects from thin air, call for demons to do their bidding, and command the elements themselves. They’re (largely) full of crap, but there is at least some truth to their rantings.

Conjurers can create items without having the raw materials at hand. But it isn’t from nothing - they spin pieces of their own mind and soul into material being. While this is taxing on their minds, the flexibility it allows is formidable.

Conjurer (Supernatural, • to •••••)
    Prerequisites: Integrity, having a soul
    Effect: You’ve figured out how to craft bits of your own soul into material objects. Doing so involves spending a Willpower point and deciding what they wish to create (which may require making an Intelligence + Crafts or other Skill roll) - Conjurers can only create items they could have otherwise made themselves, given the time and materials. Each such item, or group of items, created requires “investing” at least one point of Integrity per Size (reducing Integrity by that amount, to a minimum of 1), though the final Size and other characteristics (such as Armor, Durability, or Equipment Bonuses) are limited to no higher than your dots in this merit. You can reclaim your Integrity by banishing the item as an Instant action.
    Drawback: Other than lowering your Integrity while your Conjured items are in existence, if those creations are destroyed, you roll a number of Breaking Points equal to the Integrity invested in the item.

Other Merits:

Flash Conjuration (•••)
    Prerequisites: Conjurer •, Wits •••
    Effect: You can now spin things into existence at a moment’s notice, Conjuring as a Reflexive action.
    Drawback: Unfortunately, swiftly made, swiftly fade - anything Conjured as a Reflexive action only lasts 1 Turn before automatically being dismissed.

Efficient Conjuration (• to •••••)
    Prerequisites: Conjurer ••
    Effect: You can extend the bits of your soul further than other Conjurers. For each dot in this merit, you can support one more Size, bonus, or other value for your Conjurations without Investing additional Integrity. Each Conjuration still requires a minimum of 1 Integrity, and still cannot have a value higher than your dots in Conjurer.

Expanded Conjuration (• to •••••)
    Prerequisites: Conjurer •
    Effect: You are able to exceed the normal dimensions of your talent, Conjuring larger items. For each dot in this merit, you can Conjure objects 1 Size larger than your normal limit as determined by your Conjurer dots. You still must bind 1 Integrity per Size, as normal, for these creations.

Triflings (•)
    Prerequisites: Conjurer ••
    Effect: You grant a bit of permanency to the least of your creations. Once per Scene, you can create a small amount of disposable materials (such as screws, bits of bread, or bullets) of cumulative Size 1. These do not require investing any Integrity, but must be used by the end of the Scene and cannot have notable material worth (Availability of the items is limited to 1, or 2 in rare cases).

Pyrotechnics (••)
    Prerequisites: Conjurer •
    Effect: You can now Conjurer forms of energy, like flame and light, sustaining them through means of your power (and soul) alone. The force will persist until dismissed, though any consequences (such as material ignited through Conjured fire) will persist even after the original source is dismissed.

Gift of Life (•••••)
    Prerequisites: Conjurer •, Medicine •, Animal Ken •
    Effect: You can now call forth living creatures from the depths of your being. Create an animal no more than Conjurer in Size, and with Attributes and Skills capped at that threshold as well.
    Note: The animal is generally typical for its type, within the limits imposed above, and usually well disposed toward its creator. Other than its continued existence, no special bond exists between animal and Conjurer, and Animal Ken is necessary to get it to perform atypical actions.

Material Servant (•••)
    Prerequisites: Conjurer •••
    Effects: You can invest Integrity into an item, creating a Retainer equal to the amount of Integrity invested. Roll Wits + Occult. For each success, you can give the Retainer one command it will follow (such as "fetch me a towel" for one Success, or "Pick up water from this well, then dump it in that basin. And then stop once the basin is full" for 3 Successes).

[Notes for other ideas]

Invisible Stalker (••••)
    Prerequisites: Conjurer •••
    Effect: [Create a Rank 1 Ghost and assign it a task. Its Anchors are you and the task. Attributes and Essence are capped at the amount of Integrity invested.]

Mortar of Will - Patches and reinforces an object? Cheaper than creating it whole-cloth? Can add Tags to existing items?

Mortar the Flesh - Can add Health boxes. And/Or restore missing limbs?

Eldritch Whispers - Can “create” metaphysical and mental things, like Clues, Plans, and knowledge representing Equipment Bonuses. But you get a Condition like Guilty or Obsessed from the supernatural information.

Eldritch Lore - Can add Skills and Specializations. Gain Impostor Condition or similar?

Eldritch Secrets - Can trade Integrity for Supernatural Merits (up to Conjurer in dots for any one Merit per instance). They keep their Drawbacks.

I'll edit and expand this post as I iron out more ideas.
    Last edited by Vent0; 07-25-2017, 06:22 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Nice. Looking forward to what you have in store.

MtAw Homebrew:
    Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
    New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

As far as I can tell, there's no limitation on complexity. If I've got Conjurer •, it looks like I could generate a Size 1 hunk of solid platinum or a copy of the Mona Lisa. Heck, couldn't I just conjure something that's not technically possible, like a copy of tomorrow's New York Tribune (or the formula for the cure for cancer)?

I mean, this is incredibly bare-bones, but... I'm not exactly getting what makes these guys a micro-template, rather than just being a Supernatural merit that has a bunch of other merits that require it.

If you look at other micro-templates, they tend to work on a basis of "merit + mechanical gimmick":

• The Dreamers and Psychic Vampires have their own fuel stats - heck, Dreamers have a pair of unique conditions.
      • The Infected have a Condition chain that their merits all build off of.
      • Lost Boys have powers that fluctuate based off of when their last hit of sweet, sweet Neuropozyne was.
      • The Plain suffer Breaking Points from observing violence, let alone participating in it.
      • Stigmatics get a Catastrophic Glitch, forcibly marking them as different.

The one exception that I can think of is the Atariya... but I also think that it's one of the weakest official minor templates.

Ultimately, what makes these guys Conjurers, and not just guys who can make things pop into existence?

A good template can't be ignored - even if you stop using your cool powers, you still can't avoid that, hey, you're a sleeper agent (or a cyborg, or the vector of a mystical plague, etc). Meanwhile, a Conjurer could just... choose not to conjure things anymore. Heck, they have more choice in the matter than someone who with Psychokinesis, and no-one's calling Psychokinetics their own minor template.

What makes this a thing you are, instead of just a cool trick?

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Are conjurers not people who are defined by their ability to just make things pop into existence?

Kelly R.S. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

[QUOTE=ArcaneArts;n1118837]Are conjurers not people who are defined by their ability to just make things pop into existence?[/QUOTE

That's... not really my problem with this (probably a problem with how I communicated my problem, however).

If I were to rename Psychokinesis to Psychokinetic (and packaged it with all of the "upgrade" merits from Hurt Locker), would I be justified in calling it a micro-template? Because that's essentially what this is - Conjurer (with maybe a rename) wouldn't be too amiss next to Apportation, Telekinesis, or Telepathy as just a straight Supernatural merit.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
            As far as I can tell, there's no limitation on complexity. If I've got Conjurer •, it looks like I could generate a Size 1 hunk of solid platinum or a copy of the Mona Lisa. Heck, couldn't I just conjure something that's not technically possible, like a copy of tomorrow's New York Tribune (or the formula for the cure for cancer)?
            I clarified a bit (specifically what the Intelligence + Skill roll was called for). Conjurers can only create what they could otherwise do so with time and materials (Integrity handles the materials, and Willpower handles the time).

So, they could only replicate a Size 1 Mona Lisa if they could make a reasonable forgery (in which case, why don't they?), and tomorrow's Newspaper or the cure for cancer are limited to their own ability to write or invent them (again, why don't they?). They certainly can create a Size 1 chunk of platinum (provided they know what platinum is).

Of course, for all these things, they exist only so long as the Conjurer invests Integrity into them. They reclaim that Integrity, or the item gets irrevocably altered? It vanishes (and they roll Breaking Points if it was "destroyed" doing so). Pay someone Conjurered money and then dismiss it once you leave? You can, but what you paid them ends up "missing". Great for cons, not so much for getting rich without incident.

I mean, this is incredibly bare-bones, but... I'm not exactly getting what makes these guys a micro-template, rather than just being a Supernatural merit that has a bunch of other merits that require it.
            It is still a work-in-progress. I just posted what I have so far because it is usable.

From what I recall, a Micro template, as opposed to a Minor template, is really nothing more than a thematic merit chain.

Ultimately, what makes these guys Conjurers, and not just guys who can make things pop into existence?

A good template can't be ignored - even if you stop using your cool powers, you still can't avoid that, hey, you're a sleeper agent (or a cyborg, or the vector of a mystical plague, etc). Meanwhile, a Conjurer could just... choose not to conjure things anymore. Heck, they have more choice in the matter than someone who with Psychokinesis, and no-one's calling Psychokinetics their own minor template.

What makes this a thing you are, instead of just a cool trick?
            Working on that.

Comment

True but i like conjurer its cool and im going 2 use it hopefully my storyteller will alow me 2 cure cancer

Comment

How does the Triflings merit interact with the notion of gold or platinum screws?

Comment

i see only things they can make themselves this is great and balanced if i play a croseover gam them other then a hunter or mage or mummy or devent or ghost or changeling or purefied or lost boys or sorcerer then i'd play this and i know that's a lot but that's because there so good not because this is bad oh not counting some fan made micros on this vary site
                  and i was notnaming them in order

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                    How does the Triflings merit interact with the notion of gold or platinum screws?

Good point. I need to add a limitation for high value objects to that one. It is meant to let a Conjurer create things like bullets, arrows, or small bits of food without tanking their Integrity. Might have to scrap the whole merit.
                    Last edited by Vent0; 07-21-2017, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Damn if you're taking this away then never mind about them being cool i realize a nage is able 2 do this better

Comment

What you could do is have the concept of "triflings" be based on the character's intent. If they are literally just going to make some stuff to throw away like bullets it's fine, but the notion "I am going to make lots of little expensive things and sell them" makes them not count because it would leave behind a tangible existence in the money.

This would let you make silver bullets as long as you intend to load them into a gun and shoot a werewolf, but not if you plan to sell them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ameraaaaaa View Post
                          Damn if you're taking this away then never mind about them being cool i realize a nage is able 2 do this better
                          In that case you could skip on all the minor templates and most if not all Supernatural Merits because mages are able to do all of those better.

I see that the Merits doesn't take the Availability rating into account. Triflings could be stuff that has an Availability rating of 1 (or less) on top of the other limitations.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Actually reading again it's not clear how size 0 items work. Is there just always a minimum of 1 integrity cost? That seems most logical.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                              Actually reading again it's not clear how size 0 items work. Is there just always a minimum of 1 integrity cost? That seems most logical.
                              Seems logical, but then you should be able to create a bunch of the stuff up to a combined Size of 1. Instead of one nail it's a packet of nails. Or maybe that removes some of the useability of Triflings.

I think it's better to not roll Breaking Points more than once. I think it's already a general rule (or a common houserule) to just roll the worst Breaking Point the character is exposed to in a scene, and rolling the same thing multiple times is generally bad design. Rather, I think only one Breaking Point should be rolled but with a penalty equal to the Integrity dots spent in the destroyed object.

I'd also like to see a clarification of Invisible Servant before I can comment on that and Invisible Stalker.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                              X