[Dark Eras] Medieval Ireland 750-850 CE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Dark Eras] Medieval Ireland 750-850 CE

Whatever if Era wins or not race with Golden Age of S-F for Dark Eras 2 corebook, I wanted to start discussion on it, even as fan based setting ideas. Lately we had some great topic in this vain about Arthurian Britain or Britain - Forsaken by Rome. So maybe we asked nicely fan experts from those to look over this a bit fresher sister Era? Lord Arcanist, Lord Khanwulf ?

Myself, I mostly look for Werewolf related material, using Medieval Ireland as sequel – or expansion – to Wolf & Raven Viking Era from DE 1, in mostly the same time. But will gladly look over for other gamelines ideas if you bring them.

So let’s start by quoting basic Era sum up from Kickstarter:

Originally posted by 'Dark Eras 2 Kickstarter
    Following the Irish Dark Age until the beginning of the Viking Age, this era marks the introduction of Christianity and Latin literacy. The latter part of the period gives way to illuminated manuscripts, such as the Book of Kells, and Viking raiders who attack the coastline of Ailech and the rest of Ulster. In the Chronicles of Darkness, its denizens are used to the changes in leadership, but worry Viking raiders will discover their lairs and attack at will. This is an era of faith and fear, art and blade.
    So from it, important locations looks as Ailech and Ulster as generalWhat about them in this times you can say to us? What are it’s ethnics composition? How old are they Christian?

I was thinking Era was centered on Dublin, but I then read in Wolf & Raven this settlement was FOUNDED in 853, so 3 years after end of Era range. What do you know about Dublin’s origins? You think it’s just some omission on Era idea author?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-05-2017, 07:57 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

well, if we were to get this Era, I hope for it to be at least partly Vampire, we would would finally get some more information about the Blood Blessed which were mentioned in Requiem for the Regina.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Medieval Ireland Era did not got to the book, but we still can make research and fan story hooks ourselves. Here are some questions some Irish forumers or historicians of period could answer me:

1. When did Ireland been fully Christianized? Are most Irelanders still 'pagan' in day to day life? Era idea sounds as Christianization was only a generation or two before, but I know that Irish bishops was sent 2 centuries before even to Iona Isle, for example.
      2. What does Ailech means in Era idea context? From Wikipedia, I see it's Celtic ruling dynasty of land that will become Ireland.
      3. From Wikipedia, again, it seems that Ulster was one of then bean kingdoms (later provinces) that would become Ireland. Most on the North one on Island, so most open to Norseman Vikings. Question then is this - From what date Viking raids could start on Ulster? First raid on Lindisfarne was in 793, so I suppose that few years later on Ulster could start?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Book of Kells - Ireland's greatest early medieval artifact - is digitalised and ready to be seen by you all!

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

An tricky ers for vampires, surely, as anything that could be construed as a city is only just beginning. Prior to the Vikings, there were no real cities in any serious sense in what becomes Ireland.

Comment

Working...
          X