No announcement yet.

[Fan Dark Era] Conquest of Paradise - Age of Exploration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third version of Beasts Families – I cleared entry to Beasts situation, moved and expanded converso problems – and repercussions of those on Begotten population. Also cleared Namtaru, as they do not need minorities in their write-up now. Eshmaki are last to go – if you got some ideas on those – I’m all ears.

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Beasts Families in XVI century

XVI century is time of great changes in society. With those, European Begotten must adapt – or need to journey to new lands, hoping for the new start. They also find alien Horrors of those fringe soil and must go to fight or agreement with local monsters. But the greatest problems for Children of Dark Mother are the Catholics Monarchs.

In 31st March Queen Isabella declares Alhambra Decree on Jews to convert to Catholicism in four months or be forced to leave their kingdoms. The so called Marranos ( Jewish converts) only in public changed their faith – in secret many still practiced Judaism. The almost the same story went with Muslim minority under Catholics Monarchs - Treaty of Granada from 1491 guaranteed religious tolerance towards Muslims, for a few years before Islam was outlawed in 1502 in the Kingdom of Castile and 1527 in the Kingdom of Aragon, leading to Spain's Muslim population becoming nominally Christian Moriscos ( Muslim converts). That forces converso (converts to Catholicism ) from Jewish and Muslim religions to adhering to their new state faith or leaving newly forming. Inquisition start their ‘witch hunts’ for those practicing religion of their fathers in secret, looking for any signs of heresy.

This social pressure borne nightmares – and nightmares borne Begotten. Beasts in Spain and Portugal of this Era see rising numbers of Devourings in repressed religious minorities of their kind with Horrors from the myths and legends of their forefathers – Ghouls and Djinn for Muslims or Dybbuk and Behemoth for Jews, to name few. Those new Children of the Dark Mother ( that many Jewish Beasts connect with Lilith ) are actively opposing Inquisition and trying to destroy Catholic Church in their kingdoms. There are even stories about Horrors based on monotheistic dark Angels, Hunger for fighting other Abrahamic faiths in response. Other Begotten are joining ships set to New World, Africa and Orient, to start new life and found others of their kind in the rest of the world. One is sure – it’s interesting times to be a Beast, as say one Chinese curse!

Anakim

Many Anakim believe the Basajaun to be a tribe of Giants that dwelt in Basque country in the time before recorded history. As the tales come down, these stocky, hairy Anakim had a prodigious Hunger, but sated it entirely on their massive flocks of livestock. They taught useful skills to the mortal newcomers and the non-Beasts of their own tribe, and built hundreds of monuments to their own strange gods that still stand today. Modern Giants often like to speculate that the Basajaun still haunt the remote regions of Basque country, but it’s been centuries since any native Beast has claimed to see one. Jewish Anakim are Old Testament Behemoth. In general Europe they are Giants and Cyclops. In Americas they are Wendigo.

Eshmaki

In Europe they are popular as Banshee or Dybbuk.

Makara

Krakens and Sirens – those monsters of the ocean are most palpable for the people of that time. Sailors and sea travelers are most likely to be Devoured by those Nightmares of the Depths. And as more and more people are sailing overseas, Makara are becoming majority in Begotten population. But it’s not only about water - they dwell deep in to secrets and forgotten lore, finding lost civilizations or treasures buried under rocks. Foreign lands have their own share of Makara – various monsters of the lakes or seas, primordial hunters piercing human memories. In Americas they are Ogopogo or Ahuizoti.

Namtaru

Disease sweeps the world in XVI century, when they brought across the seas, from Old to New World and vice versa. Many die, most will survive with rise of medicine from the times of Black Death. Sick will live, but they also stop being pretty. Pimples, cysts or scars are often view in those populations. It’s not even treated as ugliness in those times. But stories about witches ‘third nipple’ or ‘devils marks’ are starting to spread in population under watchful eye of Inquisition. Namtaru are answer to Nightmares of Revulsion that spreading in the heart of kingdom. On general in Europe they are represented as Basilisk, Chimera or Medusa. In Americas local Namtaru have souls of beings like Chupacabra.

Ugallu

Exposure is crucial to the Age of Exploration. Not only you must be exposed to the new lands to truly understand living in there – you also must open your mind to go out of your day to day life and look for something more. It’s not coincidence it’s Leonardo Da Vinci, one of greatest minds in those times, was looking for the way to let human to fly. Freethinkers are said to be ‘free as birds’ – and Ugallu really understand what does this mean. But this do not imply that Nightmares of Exposure are not monsters in this Era – contrary, they are the ones more dangerous. In Europe they are Dragons, Harpies or Phoenixes. in Americas they are Thunderbird or Jersay Devil. In India they are Uchchaihshravas ( 7 headed flying horse ) and Airavata ( winged elephant ). In Oceania the Rainbow Serpent represent Ugallu.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Spanish Empire

Map of Spanish Empire at the life of Philip II of Spain ( r. 1556-1598 ) – best showing spread and colonization directions of Spain Crown till the end of Era.

After Columbus, the Spanish colonization of the Americas was led by a series of soldier-explorers called conquistadors. The Spanish forces, in addition to significant armament and equestrian advantages, exploited the rivalries between competing indigenous peoples, tribes, and nations, some of which were willing to form alliances with the Spanish in order to defeat their more-powerful enemies, such as the Aztecs or Incas—a tactic that would be extensively used by later European colonial powers. The Spanish conquest was also facilitated by the spread of diseases (e.g. smallpox), common in Europe but never present in the New World, which reduced the indigenous populations in the Americas. This sometimes caused a labour shortage for plantations and public works and so the colonists informally and gradually, at first, initiated the Atlantic slave trade.

One of the most accomplished conquistadors was Hernán Cortés, who, leading a relatively small Spanish force but with local translators and the crucial support of thousands of native allies, achieved the Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire in the campaigns of 1519–1521. This territory later became the Viceroyalty of New Spain, present day Mexico. Of equal importance was the Spanish conquest of the Inca Empire by Francisco Pizarro in 1532-38, which would become the Viceroyalty of Peru.

After the conquest of Mexico, rumours of golden cities (Quivira and Cíbola in North America and El Dorado in South America) motivated several other expeditions. Many of those returned without having found their goal, or finding it much less valuable than was hoped. Indeed, the New World colonies only began to yield a substantial part of the Crown's revenues with the establishment of mines such as that of Potosí (Bolivia) and Zacatecas (Mexico) both started in 1546. By the late 16th century, silver from the Americas accounted for one-fifth of Spain's total budget.

Eventually the world's stock of precious metal was doubled or even tripled by silver from the Americas. Official records indicate that at least 75% of the silver was taken across the Atlantic to Spain and no more than 25% across the Pacific to China. Some modern researchers argue that due to rampant smuggling about 50% went to China. In the 16th century "perhaps 240,000 Europeans" entered American ports.

Further Spanish settlements were progressively established in the New World: New Granada in the 1530s (later in the Viceroyalty of New Granada in 1717 and present day Colombia), Lima in 1535 as the capital of the Viceroyalty of Peru, Buenos Aires in 1536 (later in the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata in 1776), and Santiago in 1541.

Florida was colonized in 1565 by Pedro Menéndez de Avilés when he founded St. Augustine and then promptly defeated an attempt led by the French Captain Jean Ribault and 150 of his countrymen to establish a French foothold in Spanish Florida territory. Saint Augustine quickly became a strategic defensive base for the Spanish ships full of gold and silver being sent to Spain from its New World dominions.

The Portuguese Ferdinand Magellan died while in the Philippines commanding a Castilian expedition in 1522 which was the first to circumnavigate the globe. The Basque commander Juan Sebastián Elcano would lead the expedition to success. Therefore, Spain sought to enforce their rights in the Moluccan islands, which led a conflict with the Portuguese, but the issue was resolved with the Treaty of Zaragoza (1525), settling the location of the antimeridian of Tordesillas, which would divide the world into two equal hemispheres. Thenceforth, maritime expeditions led to the discovery of several archipelagos in the South Pacific as the Pitcairn Islands, the Marquesas, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, the Solomon Islands or New Guinea.

Portugal Empire

John II (r. 1481–1495) famously restored the policies of Atlantic exploration, reviving the work of his great-uncle, Henry the Navigator. The Portuguese explorations were his main priority in government, pushing south the known coast of Africa with the purpose of discovering the maritime route to India and breaking into the spice trade. Manuel I (r. 1495–1521) proved a worthy successor to his cousin John II, supporting Portuguese exploration of the Atlantic Ocean and the development of Portuguese commerce.

Under John III (r. 1521–1557), Portuguese possessions were extended in Asia and in the New World through the Portuguese colonization of Brazil. John III's policy of reinforcing Portugal's bases in India (such as Goa) secured Portugal's monopoly over the spice trade of cloves and nutmeg from the Maluku Islands. As a result, John III has been called the "Grocer King". On the eve of his death in 1557, the Portuguese empire spanned almost 1 billion acres (about 4 million square kilometers). During his reign, the Portuguese became the first Europeans to make contact with both China, under the Ming Dynasty, and Japan, during the Muromachi period. John III abandoned Muslim territories in North Africa in favor of trade with India and investment in Brazil. In Europe, he improved relations with the Baltic region and the Rhineland, hoping that this would bolster Portuguese trade.
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-07-2017, 05:46 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

More I read about period, more I see that proper Era should end later - probably at the time when Crown of Portugal was in union with Spanish Crown by Philip II of Spain from year 1580 - from that moment, both Empires become one and race have stopped until 1640, the Portuguese Restoration War. What do you think about this idea as end date? Circumnavigation voyage of Magellan date is nice, but in reality, many explorations by both Spain and Portugal were made after this journey.
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-08-2017, 02:44 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I'm a bit in dead end - I do not know what to research and write about next for this Era. Lords Cinder and LostLight, maybe you point me one way or another? For now I have two subjects on my head that probably should be shown here, but I'm not sure on to which start - or that maybe other topic is more pressing then for playing Era? And should I moved end date to personal union of Portugal and Spain in 1580 AD? Last Inca conquest ended in 1572 also.

Here is subjects list:
          1. Unification of Spain - It's a bit complex topic, with future Spain starting as coalition of various Iberian Peninsula kingdoms in start of this Era, but ending it as world power described as "the empire on which the sun never sets" ( they were first before British ones ).
          2. Many Atlantis(is) - I.E. 'Lost' civilizations of conquered by Spain and Portugal lands that could work as Temples of Time Before.
          3. Possible other important topic to write now?
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-08-2017, 02:46 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Prepared Unification of Spain, in the end.

The Empire On Which The Sun Never Sets – Unification of Spain
            This Era starts in Anno Domini 1492 - times where Iberian Peninsula has just been consolidate by 3 large kingdoms – Portugal, Castile and Aragon - two of them will become one larger known as Spain in less than 25 years. Yes, in that time Portugal is leader in Peninsula on the spread of its overseas colonies and trading posts, compared to other kingdoms – but Kingdom of Castile just annexed rest of Granada, ending Reconquista. With personal union in Catholic Monarchs - Queen Isabella I of Castile and King Ferdinand II of Aragon – joined terrains of two kingdoms are taking up ¾ of Iberian Peninsula. However, Castile and Aragon are not single country, yet, and are ruled officially separately by Isabella and Ferdinand – even if in practice, most of their decisions are made for both kingdoms.

When Isabella died in 1504 she left kingdom to her daughter Joanna of Castile. As her father, Ferdinand served as regent during queens insanity after Joanna loss of her husband Philip the Handsome in 1506 AD. Ferdinand also conquered the southern part of Navarre in 1512 and annexed it to what was to become Spain. In 1516, after his death, Joanna inherited the kingdom of Aragon, but was kept prisoner at Tordesillas as insane. As Joanna's son, the future Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, did not want to be merely a regent, he was proclaimed king of Castile and Aragon jointly with his mother in Brussels, in the same year. Subsequently, Castilian and Aragonese Cortes alleged oath to him as co-king with his mother. Upon her death in 1555, he became sole King of Castile and Aragon, and the thrones were thereafter united permanently as Crown of Spain.

The phrase, "El Imperio En El Que Nunca Se Pone El Sol" (The Empire On Which The Sun Never Sets) originated with a remark made by Fray Francisco de Ugalde to Charles I ( r.1515 -1556 ) – he had an empire, which included many territories in Europe, islands in the Mediterranean and Atlantic, cities in North Africa and vast territories in the Americas.
            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-08-2017, 09:29 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

And second great event in Era - this time, at the end of it, in the kingdom of Portugal...

Iberian Union - Portuguese succession crisis of 1580

Crisis (Portuguese: Crise de sucessão de 1580) came about as a result of the death of young King Sebastian I of Portugal in the Battle of Alcácer Quibir in 1578. The Cardinal Henry, Sebastian's great-uncle, became ruler in the immediate wake of Sebastian's death. Henry had served as regent for Sebastian after 1562, and succeeded him as king till his death. Henry renounced his clerical offices and sought to take a bride for the continuation of the Aviz dynasty, but Pope Gregory XIII, affiliated with the Habsburgs, did not release him from his vows. The Cardinal-King died two years later – in 1580 -, without having appointed a Council of Regency to choose a successor. As Sebastian had no immediate heirs, this event prompted a dynastic crisis, with internal and external battles between several pretenders to the Portuguese throne. In addition, because Sebastian's body was never found, several impostors emerged over the next several years claiming to be the young king, further confusing the situation. Ultimately, Philip II of Spain gained control of the country, uniting the Portuguese and Spanish Crowns in the Iberian Union, a personal union that would last for 60 years, during which time the Portuguese Empire declined.

António, Prior of Crato (1531–1595) was a claimant of the Portuguese throne during the 1580 crisis and, according to some historians, King of Portugal (during a short time of 38 days in 1580 in mainland Portugal, and since then until 1583, in the Azores). António was the illegitimate son of Infante Luis (1506–1555), and therefore grandson of King Manuel I. It was precisely because of his illegitimacy that his claim to the throne was weak and considered invalid. Following the death of King Sebastian, Antonio had put forward his own claim, but his pretensions were overlooked in favour of Cardinal Henry. In January 1580, when the Cortes Gerais were assembled in Almeirim to decide upon an heir, the old Cardinal-King Henry died and the Regency of the Kingdom was assumed by a Council of five members.

Philip II of Spain managed to bring the aristocracy of Portugal as support to his side. For the aristocracy, a personal union with Spain would prove highly profitable for Portugal at a time when the state finances were suffering. António tried to seduce the people for his cause, comparing the present situation to that of the Crisis of 1385. Then—just as in 1580—the king of Castile had invoked blood descent to inherit the Portuguese throne; and the Master of Aviz (John I), illegitimate son of King Peter I, asserted his right to the throne at the Battle of Aljubarrota, which ended in a victory for John's troops, and in the Cortes of Coimbra in 1385.

On July 24, 1580, António proclaimed himself King of Portugal in Santarém, followed by acclamation in several locations throughout the country; his domestic government lasted for 20 days, until he was defeated in the Battle of Alcântara by Habsburg armies led by the Duke of Alba. After the fall of Lisbon, he purported to rule the country from Terceira Island, in the Azores, where he established a government in exile until 1583; António even had coins minted—a typical assertion of sovereignty and royalty. Some authors consider him the last monarch of the House of Aviz (instead of Cardinal-King Henry) and the 18th King of Portugal. His government in Terceira island was only recognized in the Azores, whereas on the continent and in the Madeira Islands power was exercised by Philip II, who was acclaimed king in 1580 as Philip I of Portugal and recognized as official king by the Cortes of Tomarin 1581. The new king's election was carried on condition that the kingdom and its overseas territories should remain separate from Spain and keep their own laws and Cortes.

After his defeat in the Azores, António went into exile in France—traditional enemy of the Habsburgs—and courted the support of England. An invasion was attempted in 1589 under Sir Francis Drake—leading the so-called English Armada—but ended in failure. António continued to fight until the end of his life for his rights to the throne.
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-08-2017, 11:38 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

If I would go to name this 'Era chapter' it could have title - 'Conquest of Paradise' - on homage to 1992 movie about Columbus first journey. Title also greatly works with what Spain and Portugal wanted to do in real life and 'conquering the world'. The movie itself is great inspiration for Era.

Second inspiration is 'The Fountain' - movie of 2006 by Daren Aronfosky - 3 intertwined stories about immortality, one of them is about Conquistador send from Spain to look for it Fountain of Youth in Central America.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Relevant to this thread, there's a certain vampire bloodline called the Corajoso that I believe also has its history traced to this Era?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Yes, they appear in Ancient Bloodlines, and in Ancient Mysteries there's an setting in this Era (Iberian Nights: The Gremio do Corajoso).

LAND OF THE DAMNED: SPAIN (Spanish): Land of the Damned: Spain, Kingdoms of Blood: Spain; Cities of the Damned: Barcelona, Valencia, Carthian Constitution (1812), Three Arrows Pact:

OTHERS (Spanish): Demon: The Redemption, Bloodlines: The Forgotten

Comment

I was wanting to write that 1E Toreador Bloodline also comes from this times, but sadly, it's two hundred later on. Pitty, it would so great occasion to update them to 2E rules here...

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Conquests of Spain and Portugal
                        Below are most important discoveries and events in Conquest of Paradise for Portugal and Spain ( last one till year 1516 it’s marked as kingdom of Castile ). Added events of 10 years before the start of Era as those are in direct impact on beginning of setting.

1480s

• 1482 – Diogo Cão for Portugal reaches the Congo River, where he erects a "padrão" (pillar of stone).
                        • 1485–86 – Cão for Portugal reaches Cape Cross, where he erects his last padrão.
                        • 1487–92 – Pêro da Covilhã for Portugal travels to Arabia, down to the mouth of the Red Sea, eastward by sail to the Malabar Coast (visiting Calicutand Goa); later sails down the east coast of Africa (visiting the trading stations of Mombasa, Zanzibar, and Sofala); on his return he visits Mecca and Medina before reaching Ethiopia in search of the mythical Prester John.
                        • 1488 – Bartolomeu Dias for Portugal rounds the "Cape of Storms" (Cape of Good Hope).

1490s

• 1492 – Christopher Columbus for Castile discovers the Bahamas, Cuba, and "Española" (Hispaniola).
                        • 1493–94 – Columbus for Castile discovers Dominica and Guadeloupe, among other islands of the Lesser Antilles; also discovers Puerto Rico and Jamaica.
                        • 1494 - Treaty of Tordesillas – treaty signed at Tordesillas on June 7, 1494, and authenticated at Setubal, Portugal, divided the newly discovered lands outside Europe between the Portuguese Empire and the Crown of Castile, along a meridian 370 leagues west of the Cape Verde islands, off the west coast of Africa.
                        • 1497–98 – Vasco da Gama for Portugal sails to India and back.
                        • 1498 – Columbus for Castile discovers the mainland of South America.
                        • 1499 – Alonso de Ojeda for Castile explores the South American mainland from about Cayenne (in modern French Guiana) to Cabo de la Vela (in modern Colombia), discovering the mouths of the Orinoco and entering Lake Maracaibo.
                        • 1499 – Amerigo Vespucci for Castile discovers the mouth of the Amazon River and reaches 6°S, in present-day northern Brazil.
                        • 1499 – João Fernandes Lavrador, together with Pêro de Barcelos, for Portugal sight Labrador.
                        • 1499 – Gaspar and Miguel Corte-Real for Portugal reach and map Greenland.

1500s

• 1500 – Vicente Yáñez Pinzón for Castile reaches the northeast coast of what today is Brazil at a cape he names "Santa Maria de la Consolación" (Cabo de Santo Agostinho) and sails fifty miles up a river he names the "Marañón" (Amazon).
                        • 1500 – Pedro Álvares Cabral for Portugal makes the "official" discovery of Brazil, leading the first expedition that united Europe, America, Africa, and Asia.
                        • 1500 – João Fernandes for Portugal reaches Cape Farewell, Greenland ("Terra do Lavrador", or Land of the Husbandman).
                        • 1500–02 – Gaspar and Miguel Corte Real discover and name the coasts of "Terra Verde" (likely Newfoundland) and Labrador for Portugal.
                        • 1500-01 – Diogo Dias for Portugal discovers Madagascar and reaches the gate of the Red Sea, the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait.
                        • 1500 – Rodrigo de Bastidas for Castile explores the Colombian coast from Cabo de la Vela to the Gulf of Urabá.
                        • 1501-02 – Gonçalo Coelho for Portugal discovers "Rio de Janeiro" (Guanabara Bay).
                        • 1502–03 – Columbus for Castile explores the North American mainland from Guanaja off modern Honduras to the present-day border of Panama and Colombia.
                        • 1505 – Juan de Bermúdez for Castile discovers Bermuda.
                        • 1506 – Lourenço de Almeida for Portugal reaches the Maldives and Sri Lanka.
                        • 1506 – Tristão da Cunha for Portugal discovers the island of Tristan da Cunha.
                        • 1509 – Diogo Lopes de Sequeira for Portugal reaches Sumatra and Malacca.

1510s

• 1511 – Duarte Fernandes for Portugal leads a diplomatic mission to Ayutthaya Kingdom (Siam and Thailand).
                        • 1511 – Rui Nunes da Cunha for Portugal leads a diplomatic mission to Pegu (Burma and Myanmar).
                        • 1511–12 – João de Lisboa and Estevão de Fróis for Portugal discover the "Cape of Santa Maria" (Punta Del Este) in the River Plate, exploring its estuary, and traveling as far south as the Gulf of San Matias at 42ºS, in present-day Uruguay and Argentina (penetrating 300 km (186 mi) "around the Gulf").
                        • 1511–12 – António de Abreu for Portugal sails through the Strait of Malacca, between Sumatra and Bangka, and along the coasts of Java, Bali, Lombok, Sumbawa, and Flores to the "Spice Islands" (Maluku).
                        • 1513 – Jorge Álvares for Portugal lands off the coast of China, on Nei Lingding Island at the Pearl River Delta.
                        • 1513 – Vasco Núñez de Balboa for Castile crosses the Isthmus of Panama and reaches the Bay of San Miguel, discovering the "Mar del Sur" (Pacific Ocean).
                        • 1513 – Juan Ponce de León for Castile discovers "La Florida" (Florida) and the Yucatan.
                        • 1514–15 – António Fernandes for Portugal reaches present-day Zimbabwe.
                        • 1515 – Gonzalo de Badajoz for Castile crosses the Isthmus of Panama at the site of Nombre de Dios, reaching as far as the interior of the Azuero Peninsula.
                        • 1516 – Juan Díaz de Solís for Spain explores the River Plate estuary and names it "La Mar Dulce" ("The Fresh-Water Sea").
                        • 1516 – Portuguese traders land in Da Nang, Champa, naming it Cochinchina (modern Vietnam).
                        • 1518 – Lourenço Gomes for Portugal reaches Borneo.
                        • 1518 – Juan de Grijalva for Spain explores the Mexican coast from "Patouchan" (Champotón) to just north of the Pánuco River.
                        • 1519 – Hernán Cortés for Spain travels from Villa Rica de la Vera Cruz to the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan on Lake Texcoco.
                        • 1519 – Alonzo Alvarez de Pineda for Spain sails around the Gulf of Mexico to the Pánuco, proving its insularity; also discovers the "Father of Waters" (the Mississippi).
                        • 1519 – Gaspar de Espinosa for Spain sails west along the west coasts of modern Panama and Costa Rica as far as the Gulf of Nicoya.

1520s

• 1519–22 – Ferdinand Magellan's expedition for Spain completes the first circumnavigation of the globe, exploring the coast of Patagonia and discovering and traversing the Strait of Magellan. Magellan is dead one year before the end of journey, completes it Juan Sebastián Elcano.
                        • 1520–21 - João Alvares Fagundes for Portugal explores Burgeo and Saint Pierre and Miquelon in Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia.
                        • 1521 – Francisco Gordillo and Pedro de Quexos for Spain find the mouth of a river they name "Rio de San Juan Bautista" (perhaps Winyah Bay at the mouth of the Pee Dee River in modern South Carolina).
                        • 1521 – Cristóvão Jacques for Portugal explores the Plate River and discovers the Parana River, entering it for about 23 leagues (around 140 km), to near the present city of Rosario.
                        • 1522 – Gil González Dávila for Spain explores inland from the Gulf of Nicoya, discovering Lake Nicaragua, while his pilot Andrés Niño explores along the coast to the west, discovering the Gulf of Fonseca and perhaps reaching as far as the southwestern coast of modern Guatemala.
                        • c. 1524 – Aleixo Garcia for Portugal travels westward from Santa Catarina, across the Paraná (perhaps sighting Iguazu Falls) to the Paraguay near the site of Asunción, then across the Gran Chaco to the Andes and the Inca frontier, somewhere between Mizque and Tomina in modern Bolivia.
                        • 1524–25 – Francisco Pizarro and Diego de Almagro for Spain explore from Punta Piña (7° 56’ N) on the southern coast of Panama to the San Juan River (4° N), on the west coast of Colombia.
                        • 1525 – Estêvão Gomes for Spain probes Penobscot Bay, Maine.
                        • 1525 – The Portuguese reach "Celebes" (Sulawesi).
                        • 1525 – Diogo da Rocha and Gomes de Sequeira for Portugal discover the Caroline Islands.
                        • 1526 – Alonso de Salazar for Spain discovers the Marshall Islands (Bokak Atoll).
                        • 1526–28 – Pizarro and his pilot Bartolomé Ruiz for Spain explore the west coast of South America from the San Juan River south to the Santa River (about 9° S), becoming the first to sight the coasts of Ecuador and Peru.
                        • 1526–27 – Jorge de Menezes for Portugal discovers New Guinea.
                        • 1527–28 – Sebastian Cabot for Spain explores several hundred miles up the Paraná River, past its confluence with the Paraguay.
                        • 1528 – Diogo Rodrigues for Portugal explores the Mascarene Islands (which he names after Pedro Mascarenhas), naming the islands of Réunion, Mauritius, and Rodrigues.
                        • 1529 - Treaty of Saragossa (Zaragoza) - a peace treaty between the Spanish Crown and Portugal, signed on 22 April 1529 by King John III and the Emperor Charles V, in the Aragonese city of Zaragoza. The treaty defined the areas of Castilian (Spanish) and Portuguese influence in Asia, in order to resolve the "Moluccas issue", which had arisen because both kingdoms claimed the Moluccas islands for themselves, asserting that it was within their area of influence established by the Treaty of Tordesillas in 1494.

1530’s

• 1528–36 – Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca and three others are the only survivors of a group of several hundred colonists who travel for Spain from the coast of western Florida to the Rio Sinaloa in northern Mexico, where they encounter Spanish slavers.
                        • 1531 – Diego de Ordaz for Spain ascends the Orinoco to the Atures rapids, just past its confluence with the Meta.
                        • 1532–33 – Pizarro for Spain explores and conquers inland to Cajamarca and Cuzco.
                        • 1533 – Fortún Ximénez for Spain finds the tip of Baja California.
                        • 1535 – Fray Tomás de Berlanga for Spain discovers the Galapagos Islands.
                        • 1535–37 – Diego de Almagro for Spain leads en expedition from Cuzco to the south, taking the Inca highway to the southwest shore of Lake Titicaca, through the altiplano and the Salta valley to Copiapó; a detachment continues south to the Maule River. Almagro takes the coastal route back, through the Atacama Desert.
                        • 1539 – Francisco de Ulloa for Spain sails to the head of the Gulf of California and around Baja California to Cedros Island, establishing that Baja is a peninsula.

1540s

• 1539–43 – Hernando de Soto's expedition for Spain explores much of the modern American South, becoming the first to cross the Appalachians (over the Blue Ridge Mountains) and the Mississippi.
                        • 1540–42 – Francisco Vásquez de Coronado for Spain searches for the mythical Seven Cities of Cibola, only to find villages of mud and thatch. He sends out smaller parties, one of which, under García López de Cárdenas, discovers the Grand Canyon; another finds a city of gold called Quivira (in modern Kansas), which Coronado later visits — although he finds no gold.
                        • 1540 – Hernando de Alarcón for Spain ascends the Colorado River to the confluence of the Gila River (near present-day Yuma, Arizona).
                        • 1541–42 – Francisco de Orellana for Spain sails down the length of the Amazon.
                        • 1542–43 – Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo for Spain explores the coasts of modern Baja and California from Punta Baja to the Russian River, discovering the Channel Islands; after his death, his second-in-command, Bartolomé Ferrer, reaches Point Arena.
                        • 1542 or 1543 – Fernão Mendes Pinto, Diogo Zeimoto and Cristóvão Borralho for Portugal reach Tanegashima, Japan.
                        • 1543 – Ruy López de Villalobos for Spain discovers three islands (Fais, Ulithi and Yap) in the Carolines and eight atolls (Kwajalein, Lae, Ujae, Wotho, Likiep, Wotje, Erikub and Maloelap) in the Marshall Islands.

1550-1580

• 1557–59 – Juan Fernández Ladrillero and Cortés Hojea for Spain explore the Chilean coast from Valdivia (39° 48’ S) to Canal Santa Barbara (54° S); the former passes through the western entrance of the Strait of Magellan to its eastern entrance and back.
                        • 1565 – Miguel López de Legazpi for Spain discovers Mejit, Ailuk and Jemo in the Marshall Islands, while his subordinate Alonso de Arellano discovers Lib in the same island group, as well as five islands (Oroluk, Chuuk, Pulap, Sorol and Ngulu) in the Caroline Islands.
                        • 1568 – Álvaro de Mendaña for Spain discovers the Solomon Islands.
                        • 1577–80 – Sir Francis Drake for British Crown completes the second circumnavigation of the globe.
                        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-12-2017, 05:36 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Final version of opening post

Conquest of Paradise – Spain and Portugal, 1492 – 1580 AD – Mage & Beast
                          The end of XIV and start of XV is time of great journey and adventures leading to uncovering new and strange lands. It’s also time of grand conflicts, sating desires of selfish humans and spread of exotic diseases. All under new naval empires of Spain and Portugal that spread Christian ways to newly discovered Americas and new routes to Asia. Conquistadors are clamming lands for their Kings, Queens and Jesus Christ. Terrifying beasts are hunting oceans of water and nightmares of sailors – and lost cities of uncovered civilizations are there to be found and discovered. Begotten are finding strange legends and monsters of their soul contrasting with local beings of myths and dreams, fighting over sating their Hungers – yet learning their are all Children of the same Dark Mother. Diamond Orders, with just century old Mysterium as their member, are setting sails to finally found their promised Atlantis, just over horizon.

Conquest of Paradise - Introduction
                          It’s Anno Domini 1492. On 12th October Christopher Columbus landed with his crew on the San Salvador, starting era of exploration to the New World for Europeans. He previously plead to king of Portugal John II - Perfect Prince - to finance his expedition, but ruler declined few times. Columbus could get to New World only by the support from Catholic Monarchs - Queen Isabella I of Castile and King Ferdinand II of Aragon – rulers of the joined kingdom that will become Spain in future.

They just ended Reconquista of Muslims states in Iberian Peninsula in January by conquering last free Emirate of Granada. To force unity of new kingdom, Monarchs declare Alhambra Decree in 31st March on Jews to convert to Catholicism or be forced to leave kingdoms. In 1502 the Crown of Castile issued an edict which banned Islam for all people living in Granada. Fulfilling those decrees fall upon Tribunal of the Holy Office of the Inquisition (Spanish: Tribunal del Santo Oficio de la Inquisición), commonly known as the Spanish Inquisition (Inquisición española), that was hunting for secret Jews, Muslims and other heretics in the kingdom.

In year 1494, on June 7th, there was signed Treaty of Tordesillas that divided the newly discovered lands outside Europe between the Portuguese Empire and the Crown of Castile. It practically split the world in half for Portugal and Spain to conquer. The race to spread their word of Jesus Christ and powers of those two Empires begun.

In 1498, Vasco da Gama returns from India, opening new ways to Orient that Columbus wanted. Year later Amerigo Vespucci for Castile discovers the mouth of the Amazon River and reaches 6°S, in present-day northern Brazil.

In 1513, Jorge Álvares sailing for Portugal, lands off the coast of China, on Nei Lingding Island at the Pearl River Delta, opening sea travel for Europeans without need to go by Ottoman Empire.

In 1521, Hernán Cortés conquers Aztec empire.

In 1522, Portugal commander Ferdinand Magellan that sailed for newly created Spain in 1519, dies in tries first circumnavigation of the Earth. His journey is ended Juan Sebastián Elcano – one of commanders that rebelled against Magellan before his death.

In 1533, Francisco Pizarro finally conquers Peru.

In 1540–42, Francisco Vásquez de Coronado searches for the mythical Seven Cities of Cibola – even when he found only dust and mud, he finds out 1/5 of modern USA territory.

In 1542 or 1543 Fernão Mendes Pinto, Diogo Zeimoto and Cristóvão Borralho for Portugal reach Tanegashima in Japan – opening Country of Cherry Blossoms for Europeans.

This Era ends with Iberian Union of 1580 when Crowns of Portugal and Spain are joined by person of Philip II, stopping the race against two powers as they are for next 60 years one global empire. In the same year Sir Franics Drake completes second circumnavigation of the globe, showing other colonial powers rose to the prominence with famous English Armada ruling overseas…

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I'd put the beginning earlier, with the creation of the School of Navigation of Sagres in Portugal.

LAND OF THE DAMNED: SPAIN (Spanish): Land of the Damned: Spain, Kingdoms of Blood: Spain; Cities of the Damned: Barcelona, Valencia, Carthian Constitution (1812), Three Arrows Pact:

OTHERS (Spanish): Demon: The Redemption, Bloodlines: The Forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Uxas View Post
                              I'd put the beginning earlier, with the creation of the School of Navigation of Sagres in Portugal.
                              Why do you think it's more important event than Columbus uncovering of Americas? Dark Eras are opened and close on particular dates based on their repercussions to the history and possibilities to make particular stories. With Conquest of Paradise I see 'race of Portugal and Spain to conquer the world' as main story here. Creation of navigators school does not seems to me as direct starting this race - but I'm maybe mistaken. Write more about why you think it is better date than Columbus landing.

Either way, we still may need to mention it, as some events or places directly affecting the Era background maybe way in past of it. Like Forsaken for Rome gives us all Uratha history in Republic, even when the Era itself is about 4 years at the start of Roman Empire, few hundred years later. With School of Navigators probably will be the same. If you have better resources on it - maybe you write about it? Or at least point me to better sources ( that I could get on Internet in English, as I live in east end of Poland ).
                              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-09-2017, 09:23 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Added Theme and Mood section of the Era on Opening Post.

Theme: Colonialism
                                Colonialism is the policy of a nation seeking to extend or retain its authority over other people or territories. It’s involves unequal relationships between the colonial power and the colony and often between the colonists and the indigenous peoples. It’s ambiguously rated – on one hand it’s giving advances of particular periods greater civilization to less developed societies. On the other – it creates dependency on colonial power, often with forgetting of indigenous culture. Many times it’s very hard to judge was colonialism being good or bad for particular population, in the end.

But it’s not limited only to humans - just like Spain and Portugal want’s to convert Indians to Catholicism, Diamond Orders want to spread as far as they can, as from the times of Alexanders the Great and Roman Empire they stayed in mostly the same territory of Europe and East. Even if Orders really want to build ‘better tomorrow for everyone’ – they doing this just the same as mortals colonial powers, often showing darker sides of mage culture contacts.

Beasts, on the other hand, are those people uncovering or embracing their ethnic legacy. By becoming monsters from their forefathers myths and legends, they sustaining traditions of their people, literally becoming their stories – and nightmares. And when there is pressure from invaders on their groups to leave, they move – often to the place where they become outsiders invading another land.

Mood: Race to Conquer the World
                                In this Era, Portugal and Spain are literally racing to take as much of the world for themselves. Even if expeditions takes years to finalize – and wars to win – everyone knows that those first on the finishing line are those dealing the cards. Every conquistador, every navigator, every missionary and even every diplomat knows and feels it in his bones. ‘We must be first!’ is subconscious motto every expedition is reciting in their minds. They telling stories only about winners, in the end.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                                X