No announcement yet.

[Fan Dark Era] Conquest of Paradise - Age of Exploration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wyrd, I want to clarify a thing: I'm not replying to this thread because, even though the specific years are distant, both this Era and mine are about colonialism and inevitably share themes and topics. I'm aware we have some differences when it comes to tones, focus, ideas about the setting and stylistical choices (not saying my perspective is right nor that yours is wrong) and I don't want to look like the guy that says "been there, done that, so I'm better than you". We just look have different preferences, which is obviously natural for everyone.

I have this little paranoia about me looking like an arrogant jerk and I really aren't (except when it comes to Lovecraft, but that's justified) so I'd rather remain silent and let you have a shot at doing an Era you clearly are enthusiastic about without me coming in and spoiling your fun and dedication.

All this to say that I'm not avoiding the thread because I could not be bothered. I'm not, I appreciate your compliments about my work and I'm flattered you'd look at what I write as a good example. Rather, it's me feeling I would do more harm than good. That said, good luck about this project. The one bit of experience I'm willing to share is that, speaking as one who wrote half of it, Dark Eras aren't easy but they're really rewarding if you manage to pull them off decently.
    Last edited by Cinder; 08-12-2017, 10:46 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Cinder, thank you for kind words. Hopes that my Era project will some day comes to yours levels.
      And now next bigger article, central to understanding shift in scholars and daily lives of people of that Era, markings possibilities to new Awakenings in it.

Renaissance and Printing Revolution
      The 15th century Renaissance was a cultural movement that profoundly affected European intellectual life in the early modern period. Beginning in Italy, and spreading to the rest of Europe by the 16th century, its influence was felt in literature, philosophy, art, music, politics, science, religion, and other aspects of intellectual inquiry. Renaissance scholars employed the humanist method in study, and searched for realism and human emotion in art. The intellectual basis of the Renaissance was its own invented version of humanism, derived from the rediscovery of classical Greek philosophy, such as that of Protagoras, who said that "Man is the measure of all things."

Renaissance humanists sought out in Europe's monastic libraries the Latin literary, historical, and oratorical texts of Antiquity, while the Fall of Constantinople (1453 AD) generated a wave of émigré Greek scholars bringing precious manuscripts in ancient Greek, many of which had fallen into obscurity in the West. It is in their new focus on literary and historical texts that Renaissance scholars differed so markedly from the medieval scholars of the Renaissance of the 12th century, who had focused on studying Greek and Arabic works of natural sciences, philosophy and mathematics, rather than on such cultural texts.

In the revival of neo-Platonism Renaissance humanists did not reject Christianity - quite the contrary, many of the Renaissance's greatest works were devoted to it, and the Church patronized many works of Renaissance art. However, a subtle shift took place in the way that intellectuals approached religion that was reflected in many other areas of cultural life. In addition, many Greek Christian works, including the Greek New Testament, were brought back from Byzantium to Western Europe and engaged Western scholars for the first time since late antiquity. This new engagement with Greek Christian works, and particularly the return to the original Greek of the New Testament promoted by humanists Lorenzo Valla and Erasmus, would help pave the way for the Protestant Reformation, started in 1517 by Martin Luther and his Ninety-five Theses.

Well after the first artistic return to classicism had been exemplified in the sculpture of Nicola Pisano, Florentine painters led by Masaccio strove to portray the human form realistically, developing techniques to render perspective and light more naturally. Political philosophers, most famously Niccolò Machiavelli, sought to describe political life as it really was, that is to understand it rationally. A critical contribution to Italian Renaissance humanism Giovanni Pico della Mirandola wrote the famous text "De hominis dignitate" (Oration on the Dignity of Man, 1486), which consists of a series of theses on philosophy, natural thought, faith and magic defended against any opponent on the grounds of reason. In addition to studying classical Latin and Greek, Renaissance authors also began increasingly to use vernacular languages; combined with the introduction of printing press ( see below ), this would allow many more people access to books, especially the Bible.

In all, the Renaissance could be viewed as an attempt by intellectuals to study and improve the secular and worldly, both through the revival of ideas from antiquity, and through novel approaches to thought. Some scholars, play down the Renaissance in favor of the earlier innovations of the Italian city-states in the High Middle Ages, which married responsive government, Christianity and the birth of capitalism. This analysis argues that, whereas the great European states (France and Spain) were absolutist monarchies, and others were under direct Church control (like Portugal), the independent city republics of Italy took over the principles of capitalism invented on monastic estates and set off a vast unprecedented commercial revolution that preceded and financed the Renaissance. And it’s are said could not be possible without printing press…

Gutenberg Printing Press

In year 1440, Johannes Gutenberg revolutionize exchange of knowledge – he made Printing Press, stopping relaying on copyists monks to made new books. His invention made production of books relatively cheap and so – aristocrats, merchants and missionaries – all could have their own copies of Latin Bible ( called Vulgate ). The last one took even few copies with them to New World to teach reading on them native population – and giving them light of Almighty.

As to invasion itself - having previously worked as a professional goldsmith, Gutenberg made skillful use of the knowledge of metals he had learned as a craftsman. He was the first to make type from an alloy of lead, tin, and antimony, which was critical for producing durable type that produced high-quality printed books and proved to be much better suited for printing than all other known materials. To create these lead types, Gutenberg used what is considered one of his most ingenious inventions, a special matrix enabling the quick and precise molding of new type blocks from a uniform template. His type case is estimated to have contained around 290 separate letter boxes, most of which were required for special characters, ligatures, punctuation marks, and so forth.

Gutenberg is also credited with the introduction of an oil-based ink which was more durable than the previously used water-based inks. As printing material he used both paper and vellum (high-quality parchment). In the Gutenberg Bible, Gutenberg made a trial of coloured printing for a few of the page headings, present only in some copies. A later work, the Mainz Psalter of 1453, presumably designed by Gutenberg but published under the imprint of his successors Johann Fust and Peter Schöffer, had elaborate red and blue printed initials.

The invention of mechanical movable type printing led to a huge increase of printing activities across Europe within only a few decades. From a single print shop in Mainz, Germany, printing had spread to no less than around 270 cities in Central, Western and Eastern Europe by the end of the 15th century. As early as 1480, there were printers active in 110 different places in Germany, Italy, France, Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, England, Bohemia and Poland. From that time on, it is assumed that "the printed book was in universal use in Europe".

In Italy, a center of early printing, print shops had been established in 77 cities and towns by 1500. At the end of the following century, 151 locations in Italy had seen at one time printing activities, with a total of nearly three thousand printers known to be active. Despite this proliferation, printing centres soon emerged; thus, one third of the Italian printers published in Venice.

By 1500, the printing presses in operation throughout Western Europe had already produced more than twenty million copies. In the following century, their output rose tenfold to an estimated 150 to 200 million copies. European printing presses of around 1600 were capable of producing about 1,500 impressions per workday. By comparison, book printing in East Asia, did not use presses and was solely done by block printing.

Of Erasmus's work, at least 750,000 copies were sold during his lifetime alone (1469–1536). In the early days of the Reformation, the revolutionary potential of bulk printing took princes and papacy alike by surprise. In the period from 1518 to 1524, the publication of books in Germany alone skyrocketed sevenfold; between 1518 and 1520, Luther's tracts were distributed in 300,000 printed copies.

The rapidity of typographical text production, as well as the sharp fall in unit costs, led to the issuing of the first newspapers which opened up an entirely new field for conveying up-to-date information to the public. Incunable are surviving pre-16th century print works which are collected by many of the libraries in Europe and North America.

Circulation of information and ideas

The printing press was also a factor in the establishment of a community of scientists who could easily communicate their discoveries through the establishment of widely disseminated scholarly journals, helping to bring on the scientific revolution. Because of the printing press, authorship became more meaningful and profitable. It was suddenly important who had said or written what, and what the precise formulation and time of composition was. This allowed the exact citing of references, producing the rule, "One Author, one work (title), one piece of information". Before, the author was less important, since a copy of Aristotle made in Paris would not be exactly identical to one made in Bologna. For many works prior to the printing press, the name of the author has been entirely lost.

Because the printing process ensured that the same information fell on the same pages, page numbering, tables of contents, and indices became common, though they previously had not been unknown. The process of reading also changed, gradually moving over several centuries from oral readings to silent, private reading. Over the next 200 years, the wider availability of printed materials led to a dramatic rise in the adult literacy rate throughout Europe.

The printing press was an important step towards the democratization of knowledge. Within 50 or 60 years of the invention of the printing press (circa 1490-1500), the entire classical canon had been reprinted and widely promulgated throughout Europe. Now that more people had access to knowledge both new and old, more people could discuss these works. Furthermore, now that book production was a more commercial enterprise, the first copyright laws were passed to protect what we now would call intellectual property rights. On the other hand, the printing press was criticized for allowing the dissemination of information which may have been incorrect.

A second outgrowth of this popularization of knowledge was the decline of Latin as the language of most published works, to be replaced by the vernacular language of each area, increasing the variety of published works. The printed word also helped to unify and standardize the spelling and syntax of these vernaculars, in effect 'decreasing' their variability. This rise in importance of national languages as opposed to pan-European Latin is cited as one of the causes of the rise of nationalism in Europe.

A third consequence of popularization of printing was on the economy. Printing press was associated with higher levels of city growth. Publication of trade related manuals and books teaching techniques like double-entry bookkeeping, increased reliability of trade and led to decline of merchant guilds and rise of individual traders.

Finally, printing press let to copying very rare or controversial texts in time of days – if printer was enough encouraged by money – like many esoteric or occult texts in places where Inquisition did not become one rule on the minds of people. This lead to eruption of occult movements in countries of Reformation, intermingled with Renaissance humanists groups. Even in Spain or Portugal many new copies of esoteric text come to the small groups, leading many times to Awakenings in their midst.
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-12-2017, 02:36 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Hermeticism
        In XVI century many Sleepers philosophers and Awakened sorcerers rediscover Hermeticism ( also called Hermetism ) - a religious, philosophical, and esoteric tradition based primarily upon writings attributed to Hermes Trismegistus ("Thrice Great"). These writings have greatly influenced the Western esoteric tradition and were considered to be of great importance during both the Renaissance and the Reformation. The tradition claims descent from a prisca theologia, a doctrine that affirms the existence of a single, true theology that is present in all religions and that was given by God to man in antiquity.

An account of how Hermes Trismegistus received the name "Thrice Great" is derived from the Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus, wherein it is stated that he knew the three parts of the wisdom of the whole universe. The three parts of the wisdom are alchemy, astrology, and theurgy. The Poimandres points that "They called him Trismegistus because he was the greatest philosopher and the greatest priest and the greatest king." The Suda - a large 10th-century Byzantine encyclopedia of the ancient Mediterranean world - states that "He was called Trismegistus on account of his praise of the trinity, saying there is one divine nature in the trinity."

In Hermeticism, the ultimate reality is referred to variously as God, the All, or the One. God in the Hermetica is unitary and transcendent: he is one and exists apart from the material cosmos. Hermetism is therefore profoundly monotheistic although in a deistic and unitarian understanding of the term. "For it is a ridiculous thing to confess the World to be one, one Sun, one Moon, one Divinity, and yet to have, I know not how many gods." It's philosophy teaches that there is a transcendent God, or Absolute, in which we and the entire universe participate. It also subscribes to the idea that other beings, such as aeons, angels and elementals, exist within the universe. This over-reaching power is subscribed by Awakened scholars with general Supernal forces that Fallen World is merely imperfect reflection, made by False Gods - Exarchs.

Much of the importance of Hermeticism arises from its connection with the development of science during the time from 1300 to 1600 AD. The prominence that it gave to the idea of influencing or controlling nature led many scientists to look to magic and its allied arts (e.g., alchemy, astrology) which, it was thought, could put Nature to the test by means of experiments. Consequently, it was the practical aspects of Hermetic writings that attracted the attention of scientists.

Late Antiquity

In Late Antiquity - circa 200 AD - Hermetism emerged in parallel with early Christianity, Gnosticism, Neoplatonism, the Chaldaean Oracles, and late Orphic and Pythagorean literature – all of which were influenced or was influencing forming of Awakened culture with Diamond Orders. These doctrines were "characterized by a resistance to the dominance of either pure rationality or doctrinal faith" – opening Sleepers to understanding better the Lie, yet still grasping Supernal Laws.
        The books now known as the Corpus Hermeticum were part of a renaissance of syncretistic and intellectualized pagan thought that took place from the 3rd to the 7th century AD. These post-Christian Greek texts dwell upon the oneness and goodness of God, urge purification of the soul, and defend pagan religious practices such as the veneration of images. Their predominant literary form is the dialogue: Hermes Trismegistus instructs a perplexed disciple upon various teachings of the hidden wisdom. Almost any Awakened student reads them as Hermes pointing mages to seek Mysteries and summon Supernal forces to this Fallen World.

Many lost Greek texts and many surviving vulgate books contained discussions of alchemy clothed in philosophical metaphor. One of these, known as The Asclepius (lost in Greek but partially preserved in Latin), contained a bloody prophecy of the end of Roman rule in Egypt and the resurgence of paganism in Egypt.

XV century

After centuries of falling out of favor, Hermeticism was reintroduced to the West when, in 1460, a man named Leonardo de Candia Pistoia brought the Corpus Hermeticum to Pistoia, in Italy. He was one of many agents sent out by Pistoia's ruler, Cosimo de' Medici, to scour European monasteries for lost ancient writings. With Guttenbergs invention of printing press, Hermeticism texts spread in Europe, awakening ( and Awakening ) new people to it’s ideas.

Philosophy of Hermeticism and Awakened

Parts of dogma of Hermetics have stunning similarities to Awakened Truth about Reality and Fallen World. Many times it was implied by Orders that Hermeticism, as movement, was based or at least influenced by mages in previous Eras - an enormous number of the same elements between those two systems can not simply be the case of coincidence.

Prisca theologia

Hermeticists believe in a prisca theologia, the doctrine that a single, true theology exists, that it exists in all religions, and that it was given by God to man in antiquity. In order to demonstrate the truth of the prisca theologia doctrine, Christians appropriated the Hermetic teachings for their own purposes. By this account, Hermes Trismegistus was (according to the fathers of the Christian church) either a contemporary of Moses or the third in a line of men named Hermes—Enoch, Noah, and the Egyptian priest-king who is known to us as Hermes Trismegistus. Many times this ‘secret truth’ concept equated with Gnosis in Awakened circles.

"As Above, So Below."

The actual text of that maxim, as translated by Dennis W. Hauck from The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus, is: "That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracle of the One Thing." Thus, whatever happens on any level of reality (physical, emotional, or mental) also happens on every other level. Awakened often equal it with Supernal Law of Sympathy, expressing in Arcana of Space and Time.
        This principle, however, is more often used in the sense of the microcosm and the macrocosm. The microcosm is oneself, and the macrocosm is the universe. The macrocosm is as the microcosm and vice versa; within each lies the other, and through understanding one (usually the microcosm) a person may understand the other.

The three parts of the wisdom of the whole universe

Alchemy (the operation of the Sun): Alchemy is not merely the changing of lead into gold. It is an investigation into the spiritual constitution, or life, of matter and material existence through an application of the mysteries of birth, death, and resurrection. The various stages of chemical distillation and fermentation, among other processes, are aspects of these mysteries that, when applied, quicken nature's processes in order to bring a natural body to perfection. This perfection is the accomplishment of the magnum opus (Latin for "Great Work"). As literally called Alchemists, Moros mages are closest to those practices. However, the truest reflection of it is in Uncrowned Kings Legacy, connected in this Era with Silver Ladder Order and Moros Path.

Astrology (the operation of the stars): Hermes claims that Zoroaster discovered this part of the wisdom of the whole universe, astrology, and taught it to man. In Hermetic thought, it is likely that the movements of the planets have meaning beyond the laws of physics and actually hold metaphorical value as symbols in the mind of The All, or God. Astrology has influences upon the Earth, but does not dictate our actions, and wisdom is gained when we know what these influences are and how to deal with them. The Path mostly connected to this practice is Acanthus, for correlating movement of stars with coming events by Arcanum of Time.

Theurgy (the operation of the gods): There are two different types of magic, according to Giovanni Pico della Mirandola's Apology, completely opposite of each other. The first is Goëtia (Greek: γοητεια), black magic reliant upon an alliance with evil spirits (i.e., demons). The second is Theurgy, divine magic reliant upon an alliance with divine spirits (i.e., angels, archangels, gods). Both are having direct connections to two of Paths – Goetia practicing Warlocks of Mastigos Path and literal Theurgs of Obrimos Path. The first are specialized in Clavicularius Legacy, and second are dedicated in Thrice-Great Legacy. In Conquest of Paradise Era there is also rousing new Legacy – Scions of God – that use those theories of Theurgy, intertwine them with native communities practices. to become immortal mage-gods.

Posthumous lives

Reincarnation is mentioned in Hermetic texts. Hermes Trismegistus asked:
        O son, how many bodies have we to pass through, how many bands of demons, through how many series of repetitions and cycles of the stars, before we hasten to the One alone? Good and evil

Hermes explains in Book 9 of the Corpus Hermeticum that nous (reason and knowledge) brings forth either good or evil, depending upon whether one receives one's perceptions from God or from demons. God brings forth good, but demons bring forth evil. Among the evils brought forth by demons are: "adultery, murder, violence to one's father, sacrilege, ungodliness, strangling, suicide from a cliff and all such other demonic actions."

This provides evidence that Hermeticism includes a sense of morality. However, the word "good" is used very strictly. It is restricted to references to God. It is only God (in the sense of the nous, not in the sense of the All) who is completely free of evil. Men are prevented from being good because man, having a body, is consumed by his physical nature, and is ignorant of the Supreme Good.
        A focus upon the material life is said to be the only thing that offends God:

As processions passing in the road cannot achieve anything themselves yet still obstruct others, so these men merely process through the universe, led by the pleasures of the body.

One must create, one must do something positive in one's life, because God is a generative power. Not creating anything leaves a person "sterile" (i.e., unable to accomplish anything).

Cosmogony

A creation story is told by God to Hermes in the first book of the Corpus Hermeticum. It begins when God, by an act of will, creates the primary matter that is to constitute the cosmos. From primary matter God separates the four elements (earth, air, fire, and water). Then God orders the elements into the seven heavens (often held to be the spheres of Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, the Sun, and the Moon, which travel in circles and govern destiny).

"The Word" then leaps forth from the materializing four elements, which were unintelligent. Nous then makes the seven heavens spin, and from them spring forth creatures without speech. Earth is then separated from water, and animals (other than man) are brought forth.

The God then created androgynous man, in God's own image, and handed over his creation.
        Man carefully observed the creation of nous and received from God man's authority over all creation. Man then rose up above the spheres' paths in order to better view creation. He then showed the form of the All to Nature. Nature fell in love with the All, and man, seeing his reflection in water, fell in love with Nature and wished to dwell in it. Immediately, man became one with Nature and became a slave to its limitations, such as gender and sleep. In this way, man became speechless (having lost "the Word") and he became "double", being mortal in body yet immortal in spirit, and having authority over all creation yet subject to destiny. Of course many Awakened are connecting act of Men falling in love with Nature as Fall, probably being putted on him by Exarchs that were jealous of his marvelous achievements. The weakness of sleep is equated with Sleeping Curse that was lay on humanity.

Major Texts

There are three major texts that contain Hermetic doctrines:
        • The Corpus Hermeticum is the most widely known Hermetic text. It has 18 chapters, which contain dialogues between Hermes Trismegistus and a series of other men. The first chapter contains a dialogue between Poimandres (who is identified as God) and Hermes. This is the first time that Hermes is in contact with God. Poimandres teaches the secrets of the universe to Hermes. In later chapters, Hermes teaches others, such as his son Tat and Asclepius.
        • The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus is a short work which contains a phrase that is well known in occult circles: "As above, so below." The actual text of that maxim, as translated by Dennis W. Hauck, is: "That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracle of the One Thing". The Emerald Tablet also refers to the three parts of the wisdom of the whole universe. Hermes states that his knowledge of these three parts is the reason why he received the name Trismegistus ("Thrice Great" or "Ao-Ao-Ao" [which mean "greatest"]). As the story is told, the Emerald Tablet was found by Alexander the Great at Hebron, supposedly in the tomb of Hermes.
        • The Perfect Sermon (also known as The Asclepius, The Perfect Discourse, or The Perfect Teaching) was written in the 2nd or 3rd century AD and is a Hermetic work similar in content to The Corpus Hermeticum.
        Other important original Hermetic texts include the Discourses of Isis to Horus, which consists of a long dialogue between Isis and Horus on the fall of man and other matters; the Definitions of Hermes to Asclepius; and many fragments, which are chiefly preserved in the anthology of Stobaeus.

Hermeticism and Orders

In XV and XVI century, Diamond Orders are vitally interested in Hermeticism circles. With so much of Trismegistus doctrine resonating with their dogmas, they want use movement to get needed connections in society and popularize their ideas. With so much weight putted on godhood and freeing from limits of the body, Silver Ladder most openly use Hermetecism for their goals and recruitment, spanning Cryptopolies based on it. Adding spice of it being mostly practice of elites, adds to Tearchs natural marriage of magic and power. On the other hand, Mysterium use Hermetism to promote discover of knowledge and studying the world. Guardians of Veil, even if in their dogma totally opposite of the values of hermetics, see this great intellectual movement as perfect stage for many faces of it’s Labyrinth. The only Order not moved by teachings of Hermes is Adamantine Arrow – but even they can relate to Macrocosmos-Microcosmos relation from those. The true enemy of those teachings are Seers of Throne, as Hermetics see world as possibility from what you can control it from your’s will. Adding that Exarchs are often equated with Demiurge, False Creator, means that Seers try to depose the movement whenever they see it. There are even rumors that Inquisition is supported by some highly placed Seers in Spain and Vatican.
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-12-2017, 05:46 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

(Double post, sorry. )
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-17-2017, 10:29 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

​Added Table of Contents to the Opening Post. I see we have nice bundle of articles about this Era, but I still lack many on New World and native society. Also, good would be adding somehow pieces about Portugal School of Navigators - but I still do not have good sources on it. In a meantime - have a good reading, in more ordered way now.

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            Table of Contents

Introduction, Theme and Mood

Inspirations

What Has Come Before

1. Renaissance and Printing Revolution

· Gutenberg Printing Press

· Circulation of information and ideas

2. Hermeticism

· Late Antiquity

· XV century

· Philosophy of Hermeticism and Awakened
            o Prisca theologia

o "As Above, So Below."

o The three parts of the wisdom of the whole universe
            § Alchemy

§ Astrology

§ Theurgy

o Posthumous lives

o Good and evil

o Cosmogony
            · Major Texts

· Hermeticism and Orders

What is to Come

3. Conquests of Spain and Portugal

4. Spanish Empire

5. Portugal Empire

6. The Empire On Which The Sun Never Sets – Unification of Spain

7. Iberian Union - Portuguese succession crisis of 1580

The Supernatural

8. Orders in XVI century

· Adamantine Arrow

· Guardians of the Veil

· Mysterium

· Silver Ladder

· Seers of Throne

· Nameless

9. Many Atlantis(is) – Looking for Time Before

10. Beasts Families in XVI century

· Anakim

· Eshmaki

· Makara

· Namtaru

· Ugallu

Playing the Game

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Collage Humor made Adam Ruins Colombus finding America

Video is technically accurate, but calling Columbus 'Murderous Moron' is a bit stretch - those events and his motivations are not so black & white - like everything about Colonialism in that Era. Christopher was idealist that wanted to find India ( and gold ), then Paradise ( and gold ), then created this Paradise ( that went to hell ) - but was also looking to create perfect society, under guide of his advisers, went with slavery of native population. Seeing he could not create this Paradise on Earth, he left San Salvador colony and tried to explore more what later be Bahamas, understanding he cannot be ruler, only explorer.
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-17-2017, 05:45 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

He was a moron in that he made several mistakes trying to find India, and never accepted that he found something else. And he was murderous in that he showed off the dismembered bodies of dissidents during his (thankfully short) rule in America to dissuade revolts. I haven't seen the video (on a road trip right now) but I guess it didn't bring up that he also forced slaves to engage in prostitution. According to documents written by the man himself the youngest girls was only nine years old.
                So I'd personally claim he was a monster in addition to being a murderous moron.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                  He was a moron in that he made several mistakes trying to find India, and never accepted that he found something else. And he was murderous in that he showed off the dismembered bodies of dissidents during his (thankfully short) rule in America to dissuade revolts. I haven't seen the video (on a road trip right now) but I guess it didn't bring up that he also forced slaves to engage in prostitution. According to documents written by the man himself the youngest girls was only nine years old.
                  So I'd personally claim he was a monster in addition to being a murderous moron.
                  It's not exactly easy for me saying this, considering Columbus is not only a national hero but he was born in city next to mine, where there are statues of him everywhere and he is considered a source of pride (around here we all grew up with him depicted as hero, visiting the places he lived in, etc.) but yes, that guy deserves being called this and worse. Screw him.
                  Last edited by Cinder; 08-17-2017, 11:27 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

There's a damn reason why Columbus Day is being replaced with Indigenous People's Day across North America. Good riddence and it's not happening fast enough.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Re-reading Princes of Conquered Lands to prepare presentation about Dark Eras , I found this interesting quote...

Originally posted by Dark Eras Companion, p. 125
                      Missionaries
                      Portugal, like Spain, has close ties to the Catholic Church. The Church views this age of exploration as a unique opportunity to spread the Gospel to people who have never heard of Jesus. Wherever the explorers go, Catholic missionaries are sure to follow. The accounts of these missionaries make it clear that these men see themselves (or want their target audience to see them) as righteous heroes bringing the word of God to the natives of faraway lands. They do not treat their hosts’ beliefs as something worthy of note except insofar as parallels between indigenous religions and Christian doctrines offer potential leverage to convert them. As a result, these accounts rarely document indigenous beliefs at all, and when they do, the underlying assumption in the text is that they are backwards, bizarre, or just plain wrong. European technology frequently awes the natives in these tales, who convert to Christianity quickly.

Many missionaries surely write their accounts in this way in earnest. This kind of ministry is legitimately dangerous — not just because the indigenous people might prove hostile to the explorers but also because sea voyages are still dangerous and the new lands often have dangerous new wildlife and diseases — so it tends to attract the most zealous believers. The attitude of the Church toward heretics plays a role as well. While the Inquisition tends to focus its attention on rooting out those who recently converted to Christianity but might secretly practice their former faith, it also has an interest in heretics against the Church. A missionary who appears too sympathetic to faiths that are not compatible with the Catholic doctrine could attract the Inquisition’s unwanted attention.

Portugal, in turn, benefits from the work of Catholic missionaries. A military occupation of every new colony is not practical or cost effective. To rule in the long term the Portuguese need the support of at least a sizable fraction of the native population. Converting the indigenous peoples of those colonies facilitates the recruitment process. European nations have become extremely good at using religion to legitimize their laws, establish order, and maintain the status quo, so a native population that has opted into that religious framework is more apt to cooperate with the colonizing forces. This helps maintain the peace, but it also opens the door to the flagrant abuses of power by the colonists and missionaries (particularly slavery) in later centuries.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                      X