Your Mortal merits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Mortal merits

You have to live in the Chronicles of Darkness, as a mere Vanilla mortal - no supernatural items, powers, allies. No microtemplate, no Hunter cell. You are pretty much part of Human: the Dying.

To clarify: until this very moment, you have not had direct contact with the things that go bump, night or otherwise. Your Current job carries Over Into the ChroD. It is, for all intents and ourposes, you finding out right now that there is something in the shadows. What do you encounter? A Horror, vampire, Spirit, Beast, Ghost, Uratha, Fae?
    If you had a free choice of 10 + (Your age -18) Merit points (something you would like to have or have already, your choice, but nothing supernatural), what would you chose? Why?
    What is your likely goal?

Example: I have 20 points to spend.
    I'd take common sense, since I like to think of myself as able to avoid stupid mistakes. Most of the time.
    Language (German), too, as that is one of my languages.
    Encyclopedic Knowledge (Occult), due to having had an interest in that stuff since forever.
    Library (Science)2 is something I'd like to get, and Sympathetic is something I believe applies to me. Also Chokehold, Clinch Strike and Iron skin 2 are things I believe apply to me.
    For my remaining four I would like to take Eidetic Memory And Eye for the Strange.
    With this, I would have a foundation with which to delve into the weirdness surrounding me, which would help in my goal to possibly join one of the splats or null misteriis, and make myself useful enough to possibly survive this craziness.
    Last edited by Wormwood; 08-12-2017, 03:49 PM. Reason: giving me as an example

17 Merit Points (it would be 18 in two months, but whatev...)

Merits that already apply to me:
    (3) Common Sense: As someone whom everyone in my life looks to when they need grounding, I'd like to think this applies to me.
    (2) Interdisciplinary Specialty: Linguistics and Narratives. Actually true.
    (1) Language: Hebrew. Actually true.
    (1) Tolerance For Biology: Once, stuck on the road while the intersection I needed to get through was being cleared of a horrible accident, I watched firemen help a woman out of her smashed car a few yards away, and watched them realize that one of her feet was sliced almost clean off at the ankle. My first thought was, "Huh. I wonder what in the car did that. Probably one of the peddles."
    (2) Iron Will: Same general reason as Common Sense and Tolerance for Biology. I'm not an easily moved person.

Merits I'd like to get with the remaining points:
    (2) Indomitable
    (3) Meditative Mind
    (3) Parkour

I call it the Integrity build. Whatever supernatural I encounter, I won't start moaning about how my whole life has been a lie. The only splat I'd actually care to join is Sin-Eater, but regardless, I'd mostly like to survive and possibly gather supernatural resources/wealth. I could say I'd do something to make the world better, but honestly...long lost treasure, y'all.

For fun, Merits that I would be barred from ever taking:
    Direction Sense
    Small-Framed

Comment

Resources 5 (Unfairly rich spouse)
      Status 5 ("reality" TV)
      Fame 3 (That one or two sex tape(s) that got leaked *wink, wink*)

Comment

Eidetic Memory
        Language - Mandarin, Russian, Hebrew, Hindi, Arabic, Portuguese, French, German
        Meditative Mind 4
        Patient
        Resources 5
        Retainer 5
        Safe Place 4

I'd probably just duck out of adventures, and with my new merits I'd likely be able to afford to. Plus languages because there's a lot of foreign literature I've always wanted to get into and my language teacher said I'd never be fluent as a native so now I can be. The others, Patient and Eidetic Memory, are vastly needed improvements.

Comment

*misread thread. please ignore*

Comment

So I'd have 10 points I'd have big for 6 dots because im big and I'd need help fir the rest

Comment

Originally posted by Ameraaaaaa View Post
              So I'd have 10 points I'd have big for 6 dots because im big and I'd need help fir the rest
              The Giant Merit costs 3 dots under 2ED rules, which I assumed, so you'd have another 7!
              For the rest, you could look at a) things you can do right now or b) things you would like to have to survive in this scenario.
              Do you shooting guns or would like to be able to under these circumstances?
              Maybe a Fighting style to Defend yourself?
              Resources is a favoured pick And Makes Things at Least More comfortable.

Comment

Aright so oh guess sorcerer that leaves 2 so oh tolerance and barfly

Comment

Probably has-

Eye for the Strange
                  Encyclopedic Knowledge (mythology, science)
                  Anonymity (1)
                  Iron Will
                  Demolisher (2)
                  Area of Expertise (chemistry)

Want-

Trained Observer (3)
                  Inspiring
                  Fast Talking (2)

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
                  I now blog in here

Comment

Concept: Happily-Married IT-support Army-Veteran Storyteller

• Anonymity
                    • Area of Expertise - Expression (Role playing games)
                    • Direction Sense
                    •​• Encyclopedic Knowledge - Occult
                    •​• Eye of the Strange
                    •​• Hobbyist Clique -Expression
                    • Interdisciplinary Specialty - (Role playing Games)
                    •​• Fighting Style: Firefight
                    •​• ​Fighting Style: Marksmanship
                    • ​Library - Academics
                    • Library - Crafts
                    • ​Library - Medicine
                    •​• Mentor - Wife (Medicine, Animal Ken, Empathy)
                    •​• Mentor - Best Friend (Drive, Empathy, Expression)
                    • Mystery Cult Initiation - Calvinistic Christianity (Academics Specialization - Theology)
                    • Patient
                    •••​ Professional Training (Asset: Computers. Empathy, Investigation; •• Contacts - Co-Workers, Online IT community)
                    • Resources
                    • Retainer - Dog (Field: Comforting me)
                    •​ Status - My Work
                    •••​ True Friend - Wife
                    •••​ True Friend - Best Friend
                    Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 08-14-2017, 10:35 AM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                    "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

A lot of people are saying Anonymity, but I thought you needed to live off the grid and make cash purchases only and stuff like that to have it. Not just not being famous
                      Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 08-14-2017, 10:52 AM.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                        A lot of people are saying Anonymity, but I thought you needed to live off the grip and make cash purchases only and stuff like that to have it. Not just not being famous
                        yep, that's my life

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                          yep, that's my life

Then how are you posting here? VPN or something?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Then how are you posting here? VPN or something?
                            oh no- I simply use my sister's account. I'm not try to maintain my anonymity or something like that- but I know for fact that it is harder for other people to find me because of certain aspects of my lifestyle, so Anonymity of 1 sounds appropriate.

I now blog in here

Comment

A lot of people are saying Anonymity, but I thought you needed to live off the grid and make cash purchases only and stuff like that to have it. Not just not being famous
                              I'd either have it be Safe Place or One Dot Anonymity because you can't look up where I live, because I pay cash and it isn't an address on any records related to me. I didn't go with Safe Place because I don't feel the implied security would be appropriate. Also my real life name is extremely common.

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                              oh no- I simply use my sister's account. I'm not try to maintain my anonymity or something like that- but I know for fact that it is harder for other people to find me because of certain aspects of my lifestyle, so Anonymity of 1 sounds appropriate.
                              I came to the same conclusion about my life.
                              Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 08-14-2017, 01:43 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                              "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Working...
                              X