What if? The Marvel Universe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if? The Marvel Universe

So anyone who knows Marvel knows one famous question. What if? So not to beat around the bush...

What if the Marvel Universe was set in the Chronicles of Darkness?

Part of why I'm asking is just that this is a fun conversation to have, but part of it is also that I've always wanted to do own take on a unified, coherent Marvel storyline. That motivation actually predates the MCU by several years. I also enjoy doing CofD crossovers, so it hit me that it would be interesting to try and blend the two together. Ironically, I'm not actually a huge comic hound, but I grew up on the Spiderman and X-Men animated series, so I'd also appreciate suggestions as to what to read and avoid.

Just to lay some base rules, I'm totally open to people discussing multiple possibilities for who characters would be and how the world would work. Interpretations could range from obvious (most everyone is a Deviant, Doctor Strange is a Mage) to plausible (the Xavier Institue houses a variety of Proximi, Offspring, Fractals, Ghouls, and other demi-splats) to really out there (Peter Parker, Spider-Gwen, and Mike Morales make a Forsaken Pack with a Spider Totem that grants them powers). In my eyes, all of those are equally valid and worthy of discussion.

So what do you think? What if the Marvel Universe took place in the Chronicles of Darkness?

Black Lives Matter

He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Doesn't Mage Chroniclers Guide have a riff on this? I remember Captain America being a Frankenstein, which I love.

2E Legacy Updates
    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
    Storm Keepers

Comment

hmm, I know it sounds like a lot of superheroes are Deviants from their origin, but do they all define themselves entirely around how they relate to two or more people, organizations or ideals? I don't know. That said, I'm totally for all the Mutants to be Proximi

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Well in the vein of the upcoming Netflix Defenders mini-series, I always saw:
        • Daredevil as an Eshmaki Nemesis
        • Jessica Jones as an Ogre Changeling of the Summer Court (manikin or truefriend kith, maybe?)
        • Luke Cage as a Deviant
        • Iron Fist as a Thyrsus of the Adamantine Arrow.

...otherwise for most of them it's like "yup. Deviant. Almost all of 'em"
        Last edited by tasti man LH; 08-13-2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

I think Blade might be a Dhampyr.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
            hmm, I know it sounds like a lot of superheroes are Deviants from their origin, but do they all define themselves entirely around how they relate to two or more people, organizations or ideals? I don't know.
            Okay, all was hyperbolic, although I think almost everyone can be stretched to be a Deviant. The obvious ones in the comic canon being the X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron-Man post-Extermis, Weapon X, Cap, Winter Solider, Kamala Khan, Nick Fury, and Black Widow. In the timelines where everything can be traced back to attempts to recreate Cap's Supersoilder Serum (at least initially, that could have changed, I only read the early run and it has been some time), yes, I think pretty much everyone could be a Deviant. Which is not to say that Deviants are the only things they could be, but that their origins and struggles are a close match even if the exact story arcs aren't.

That said, I'm totally for all the Mutants to be Proximi.
            Yeah, I love that idea too. It's not obvious, but it works, explains why all all of the Mutants have different powers, and provides set limits they can do. Now my only questions is what to do with Xavier and Magento. While I've toyed with the idea of uncoupling Magneto from the Holocaust and making him a Jew of a different nationality caught in a different genocide, I'm wondering if there may be a way write him up as a Beast, keep his origin story, and make him longer lived.

Black Lives Matter

He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

Saying this as a Jew, do not uncouple Magneto from the most interesting part of his character

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

Okay, all was hyperbolic, although I think almost everyone can be stretched to be a Deviant. The obvious ones in the comic canon being the X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron-Man post-Extermis, Weapon X, Cap, Winter Solider, Kamala Khan, Nick Fury, and Black Widow. In the timelines where everything can be traced back to attempts to recreate Cap's Supersoilder Serum (at least initially, that could have changed, I only read the early run and it has been some time), yes, I think pretty much everyone could be a Deviant. Which is not to say that Deviants are the only things they could be, but that their origins and struggles are a close match even if the exact story arcs aren't.
                Yeah, I'd prefer to get creative with the interpretations in order to avoid going all the same splat. Hulk, for example, also works as a Ghost Wolf or an Anakim.

Yeah, I love that idea too. It's not obvious, but it works, explains why all all of the Mutants have different powers, and provides set limits they can do. Now my only questions is what to do with Xavier and Magento. While I've toyed with the idea of uncoupling Magneto from the Holocaust and making him a Jew of a different nationality caught in a different genocide, I'm wondering if there may be a way write him up as a Beast, keep his origin story, and make him longer lived.
                I saw it as a Mysterium/Sliver Ladder Mystery cult split. But I admit that was something I had considered for a convention one-shot that never happened.Might return to it (and share) once more 2nd edition comes out.

(It was a Suicide Squad/Thunderbolts style game; Company Zero team under a TF:V Hunter, a Slasher, Seemingless changeling, Proximi Magneto, Second Sight psychic and an Inferno Possessed.)

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Saying this as a Jew, do not uncouple Magneto from the most interesting part of his character
                  I wouldn't dare. The thought had crossed by mind to make him a Tutsi Jew caught in Rawandan Genocide and while I think it's an interesting idea, I'm not the person to write it. Hence, I need some way for him to be active and spry today while still having him live through WWII.

Black Lives Matter

Comment

Run in with a Time Mage?

Comment

I wouldn't dare. The thought had crossed by mind to make him a Tutsi Jew caught in Rawandan Genocide and while I think it's an interesting idea, I'm not the person to write it. Hence, I need some way for him to be active and spry today while still having him live through WWII.
                      Put him on ice? It worked for Captain America.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

If he's a Proximi, maybe he has some sort of age-defying spell?

Comment

Marvel themselves will need to come up with something pretty soon. With Cap they can just keep increasing the time he was frozen, but magneto is just getting older and older...

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                            Marvel themselves will need to come up with something pretty soon. With Cap they can just keep increasing the time he was frozen, but magneto is just getting older and older...

Mags has actually been de-aged once before I think

Comment

Doctor Strange is pretty clearly an Obrimos of the Ascended Adept Legacy, with a generous spread of dots in virtually all of the arcana (save perhaps Death, as that's the inferior arcanum for his path and I can't recall many examples from the comics of him using death or darkness spells). Not sure what Order he'd be; conventional wisdom would place him as either Adamantine Arrow (mystic protector of Earth and concerned with helping Sleepers) or Mysterium (collecting and preserving arcane knowledge and artifacts which might otherwise be lost).

I've come up with concepts for Iron Man as a Moros mage and Spider-Man as a Skitterskulk changeling, so not too worried about making everybody with a science-y origin into a Deviant.

Comment

Working...
                              X