Contagion Chronicle book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
    I think more than so, if steering away from the God-Machine is a reason to steer away from the Contagion. It kinda implies the God-Machine is mandatory (or at least has enough ties to make it difficult to remove) if you want to include the Contagion in your setting.
    My read is that the default for Contagion is that it assumes all splats exist, so each one of them is embedded in the Chronicle. I'm sure advice will be offered for how to adjust things if you don't want everyone at the party.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
    He/His Pronouns
    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
      To narrow the question, then: how much does it have to offer that doesn't focus on the Contagion or the Sworn or False?
      The Sworn and False are the crossover groups. It's a reason for a vampire and mage and Promethean to hang out and the 'crossover' part of the Crossover Chronicle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
        My read is that the default for Contagion is that it assumes all splats exist, so each one of them is embedded in the Chronicle. I'm sure advice will be offered for how to adjust things if you don't want everyone at the party.
        Of course, but I also think it's going to be relatively easy to remove one or several splats without having to change the Contagion. That does not seem to be the case with the God-Machine.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Of course, but I also think it's going to be relatively easy to remove one or several splats without having to change the Contagion. That does not seem to be the case with the God-Machine.

In the Cryptocracy preview just released, they mention the God-Machine all of twice, and removing those mentions doesn't really change the write-up. Just because one of the signs of Contagion is Infrastructure going wonky doesn't mean you can't just take it out and use all the other signs and effects of Contagion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Florin View Post

In the Cryptocracy preview just released, they mention the God-Machine all of twice, and removing those mentions doesn't really change the write-up. Just because one of the signs of Contagion is Infrastructure going wonky doesn't mean you can't just take it out and use all the other signs and effects of Contagion.
            Three. It mentions infected Infrastructure. Also note not that it's mentioned, but why and what's the context. I mean just looking at it seems that one of the main things they do is monitor the GM, so while there seems to be other signs that an outbreak is happening. What is does to the Machine seems to be the biggest and most noticeable.

Comment

• "When the Contagion is in remission: We continue lurking behind the scenes, taking precautionary measures to keep humanity’s natural entropic urges in line. We explore new ways to spread our influence, plant the seeds of philosophies we want to encourage in the population’s subconscious and dreams, and insert ourselves into human institutions as fixtures they can’t easily dislodge in times of crisis."

They clearly have things to do even when the Contagion isn't in play, this seems like a section every faction has.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post

Three. It mentions infected Infrastructure.
                True, and it mentions one of the things they recruit people for is being able to hijack Infrastructure, which I presume is the hook into the splat for Demons.

I mean just looking at it seems that one of the main things they do is monitor the GM,
                Which can easily be broadened to monitoring for signs of Contagion in general. I don't think eliminating the GM is really going to affect the tone of the game.

Comment

• I'm gonna assume the GM mentions are just to include demons in the mix until I hear otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Florin View Post

I wasn't talking about the preview. I was talking about the comment about the upcoming NH: The Tormented that specifically said the Contagion wouldn't had been included if it had been developed by the time of writing because they didn't want to include the God-Machine.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                      I'm gonna assume the GM mentions are just to include demons in the mix until I hear otherwise.
                      To be fair, God Machine Chronicle came out before Demon: the Descent did, and is not technically a Demon-only thing. That said, I'm pretty sure that Contagion Chronicle isn't God-Machine Chronicle, Part Deux.
                      Last edited by Dataweaver; 06-12-2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Even if people have an issue with the God Machine it's an ambiguous enough thing that, as someone noted above, you can swap it out for something else or just don't use the name and have it be part of the mystery of the Chronicles of Darkness world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post

Three. It mentions infected Infrastructure. Also note not that it's mentioned, but why and what's the context. I mean just looking at it seems that one of the main things they do is monitor the GM, so while there seems to be other signs that an outbreak is happening. What is does to the Machine seems to be the biggest and most noticeable.
                          maybe because that among the many supernatural structures, the Machine is the biggest and the most noticeable? I mean, the chances that a know-to-nothing mortal would stumble upon an infrastructure are much, much higher than the chances they would stumble upon an Avernian Gate, Locus, Neithian Architecture, Hallow, Hedge gates and Wastelands combined, most probably

(yeah, I'm a bit exaggerating, but Infrastructures are still the most common occult matrix, simply because the God Machine is the most dominant power in the material world. Well, maybe Ley lines and nodes can compete with infrastructures, but when infrastructures fall down the impact is much more obvious and cataclysmic. It is like that the global warming/climate change influence the whole world, but scientists still watch the icebergs at Antarctica in order to measure how advance it is, and not the amount of rain in Britain, for example)

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

I wasn't talking about the preview. I was talking about the comment about the upcoming NH: The Tormented that specifically said the Contagion wouldn't had been included if it had been developed by the time of writing because they didn't want to include the God-Machine.

I know you weren't talking about the preview. I brought it up as a counter example since it is actually from the Contagion Chronicle book.

Comment

• It's all very exciting, isn't it?

Matthew Dawkins
                              In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

~Hapax Legomenon~

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
                                It's all very exciting, isn't it?
                                It is. And it's also bloody amazingly well written,I know Meghan was good from her work on changeling,but now I'm thinkingg she may be as good as Rowling or Gaiman or even Rein-Hagen

Comment

Working...
                                X