No announcement yet.

Contagion Chronicle book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems more 'natural' than what you see coming out of the Abyss, which is impossible to be here, 'Eat the Meat God; Be the Meat God.' Breakdowns in communication are all too common, I'm sure everyone's come across it. And the Abyss spreads, but we've seen that in other things as well, Prometheans, Inferno entities, various things done with the Gauntlet.

But the Cryptocracy is, I think, the biggest glimpse we've seen of the Contagion. Their section was quoted from in the first podcast or so, and while many others have been name dropped, and some attitudes have been hinted at, we haven't seen how they've reacted to whatever has alerted them to some sort of Contagion. And we know there's antagonists related to it like the Geryon, so presumably there will be other ways the Contagion shows itself.

It will be interesting seeing the other types of Contagion (vectors, were the term, I think?) and if they remain human-centric.
    Last edited by nofather; 06-14-2018, 03:09 AM.

Comment

• I must say that I do wonder if the Abyss would grant a certain immunity from the Contagion- as it always tries to replace what that is by what that isn't, which would allow to remove the "contagious parts" of the object in question. It may even be used as some sort of chemotherapy- you know, using a poison to kill the disease, and hope that the cancer would die before the patient. Inferno, on the other hand, may go way too well with the Contagion, like a mold which grows over the rotting corpses killed by the plague. It could be fun to try and throw the all three into a closed room and see what kind of supernatural "super bacteria" would get out :P

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• In this case I think you'd get the wrong kind of immunity. So far we just have an entropic breakdown in communication, personal relationships, dyad and up. It's natural on its own, but there's an 'infectious' nature to it. An Abyss cure would be something like the Cancerverse in Marvel. No breakdown in communication, at all, ever, in fact, constant link in communication, turning people into a hive-minded maelstrom of chaotic thoughts that come through completely clearly and understood. Makes me think a little of Charles Stross' Singularity Sky. An Infernal entity seems like it would make use of the breakdown in communication to get people to do bad things against the wishes of others. Turn it into a recruiting tool, infect religion, infect morality lessons until no one can agree what's right or wrong anymore, even to themselves.
        Last edited by nofather; 06-14-2018, 03:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
          In this case I think you'd get the wrong kind of immunity. So far we just have an entropic breakdown in communication, personal relationships, dyad and up. It's natural on its own, but there's an 'infectious' nature to it. An Abyss cure would be something like the Cancerverse in Marvel. No breakdown in communication, at all, ever, in fact, constant link in communication, turning people into a hive-minded maelstrom of chaotic thoughts that come through completely clearly and understood. Makes me think a little of Charles Stross' Singularity Sky. An Infernal entity seems like it would make use of the breakdown in communication to get people to do bad things against the wishes of others. Turn it into a recruiting tool, infect religion, infect morality lessons until no one can agree what's right or wrong anymore, even to themselves.
          I've never thought otherwise- only something that desperate characters may think to try in the setting, or a recruitment tool for the Scelesti during the Contagion- "you want to survive? Join us, and rejoice"

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
            So, for someone who hasn’t been following CC previews... What do we know about Contagion? From this latest one, I gather that it is somehow connected to humanity, and seems to get worse when there is large-scale disorder within human structures, and to exacerbate that disorder in turn. I also gather that it has some kind of negative impact on reality, warping the laws of physics and such. A bit like the Abyss in Awakening, yeah? I got the impression that it works similarly to infectious disease (surprise, surprise), with the world being the infected organism and humans being something like its immune system - when the immune system is compromised, it can’t effectively fight off the disease, so the gets worse, which makes it harder for the immune system to do its job, and there you have the feedback loop mentioned Is that essentially accurate to what we know so far?
            The Contagion is a Disease that affects supernatural beings and humans alike,It can make a vampire's blood tate like battery acid,a werewolf to change form without control
            the are groups that want to defeat the contagion,they are called the Sworn.
            Other groups wants the contagion to keep existing so they can use them as a weapon,those are the False
            Both these groups have acess to Vectors,powers related to their philosphy. The cryptocracy can do things based on being in charge,manipulating people,,manipulating ideas ad commanding people
            The contagion can be a very subtle threat or a very blunt one,and those infected by it show some changes,their natures get twisted as mentioned with the werewolf and vampire above
            The are a new kind of being called the Geryo,they are tied to contagion,werewolf and to Beast: The Primordial.
            That's what I know

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
              Also, on the subject of ways this preview reminds me of Awakening, anyone else get an Exarch-y vibe from these cryptocracy guys?
              I get the sense Seers join a bit, but the core praxis of the Cryptocracy is "humanity decides the fate of the world, we secretly lobby for the right choices." My guess is that's a bitter pill to swallow for Seers, who have "mages are better than you" as an article of faith. The Seers who join are probably the ones harboring hidden doubts.

Which is awesome. It allows for more espionage tropes and some moral ambguity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                I get the sense Seers join a bit, but the core praxis of the Cryptocracy is "humanity decides the fate of the world, we secretly lobby for the right choices." My guess is that's a bitter pill to swallow for Seers, who have "mages are better than you" as an article of faith. The Seers who join are probably the ones harboring hidden doubts.
                I could see some members (of any species) seeing humanity as the levers of power more than the wielders,* much like the Invictus does - but yes, doubts sound likely all the same. Come to think of it, it might be common for members of Sworn factions to have doubts about their respective higher powers, simply because the Contagion seems to defy them.

* Likewise, I could see the "contagion is evolution" faction regarding humanity as the environment and shape of selective pressures.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leliel View Post

Which is awesome. It allows for more espionage tropes and some moral ambguity.
                  I think Seers who join do so as a means to an end, the accumulation of power, and only pay lip service and do only as much as serves their interests and that is required of them.

Lets me honest most of these organizations would have individuals and faction members who may or may not agree with the stated goal of the group, but have their agendas that they see the organization useful for.

Comment

• I think I'll post something to the blog about one of the False factions, shortly.. We've been too long without Contagion hype

Matthew Dawkins
                    In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

~Hapax Legomenon~

Comment

• Much hyped

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
                        I think I'll post something to the blog about one of the False factions, shortly.. We've been too long without Contagion hype

In the immortal words of Janet (damn it), Tease me, tease me, tease me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Florin View Post

In the immortal words of Janet (damn it), Tease me, tease me, tease me.

You wanna be dirty?

Matthew Dawkins
                          In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

~Hapax Legomenon~

Comment

• It would be great if you could thrill me and chill me.

Comment

• Am I the only one whose hoping that the Contagion can have anything to do with the Abyss? Obviously not caonically, but thematically close enough that with some cobbling or such that it can fit right.

This is just a personal touch of mine, but one of the things I've always found challenging about talking to people who got a bad taste of mage from Ascension was explaining my excitement about the Abyss. I find the Abyss compelling enough that I'm disappointed that its treated as "just a mage thing" -- I mean not from the developers, but from a lot of people I've chatted with. I think the Abyss is so... fascinating and antagonizing on its own that, instead of it being "mage only" I could see a great story panning from having a Chronicle that has the Abyss but no Mages (scandalous).

I can't wait for the book, and I'm definitely going to ditch my idea if it just wooon't work at all, but, what I'm hoping to do with the Contagion, if it pans out post-release, is relate the two phenomenon so that the Abyss can be scary to everyone, and not just Mages. Everything into the endless dark!

Comment

• Scarlet Witch, agreeing with your point - I also fall in love with Mage because of Abyss. And too think that using it as one of explanation is great way to use both Contagion and Abyss in general CoD games. ( And Beast - I now everywhere see a stamp of Dark Mother... )

This leads me to interesting thinking - What can be point on Beasts with Contagion? People cannot dream so Horrors go totally frenzy? Hungers overwhelm Begotten?

LGBT+ in CoD games
                                Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
                                Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
                                Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
                                My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

Working...
                                X