Contagion Chronicle book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
    Am I the only one whose hoping that the Contagion can have anything to do with the Abyss? Obviously not caonically, but thematically close enough that with some cobbling or such that it can fit right.

This is just a personal touch of mine, but one of the things I've always found challenging about talking to people who got a bad taste of mage from Ascension was explaining my excitement about the Abyss. I find the Abyss compelling enough that I'm disappointed that its treated as "just a mage thing" -- I mean not from the developers, but from a lot of people I've chatted with. I think the Abyss is so... fascinating and antagonizing on its own that, instead of it being "mage only" I could see a great story panning from having a Chronicle that has the Abyss but no Mages (scandalous).

I can't wait for the book, and I'm definitely going to ditch my idea if it just wooon't work at all, but, what I'm hoping to do with the Contagion, if it pans out post-release, is relate the two phenomenon so that the Abyss can be scary to everyone, and not just Mages. Everything into the endless dark!
    Because of the unique way the Abyss interacts with mages I think it's difficult to make it ambiguous enough, unless they completely ignore how mages would interact with the Contagion using Supernal magic or mage sight in the so called crossover chronicle.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Chambers do not form? The Astral is harder to reach? Can't recongise Kin outside your own Family anymore? The Lair won't let you in? The Dark Mother is missing when youncalk for her?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

I think the Abyss is so... fascinating and antagonizing on its own that, instead of it being "mage only" I could see a great story panning from having a Chronicle that has the Abyss but no Mages (scandalous).
        I felt the same way about the Supernal World (before its reformulation in the second edition). Then again, I'd originally hoped that "mage" would be a mechanical/thematic superstructure that could applied to mortals or supernaturals alike.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Because of the unique way the Abyss interacts with mages I think it's difficult to make it ambiguous enough, unless they completely ignore how mages would interact with the Contagion using Supernal magic or mage sight in the so called crossover chronicle.
          [edit] Sorry everyone. I dont want to be one of those mage players who forces their ideas on everyone else. Please just forgive me. I should be more mindful and I got overexcited.
          Last edited by Scarlet Witch; 08-03-2018, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• Nah. Contagion should be utterly divorced from Mage canon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malus View Post
              Nah. Contagion should be utterly divorced from Mage canon.
              Well, not utterly utterly. Crossover should include vectors for affect and influence. It just shouldn't be the majority factor.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• Chronicles of Darkness is (in)famous for not giving answers about the true nature of things. Why should the Contagion, of all things, be any different?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                  Chronicles of Darkness is (in)famous for not giving answers about the true nature of things. Why should the Contagion, of all things, be any different?
                  I hope it does not seem like I wasnt expecting that to be the case. I am hoping for a plothook down that line but I do not want it to be the most likely.

I do not want a clear perfect answer. But I am excited for any potential abyssal hooks, any at all.

I mean look at all the hooks for Idigam. I love *all* the hooks. But my favorite is the void spirit one. Thats all.

Comment

• Look, I would pay for a blue book style Inferno about the Abyss and its horrors, but let the Contagion be its own thing- if only because it gives you the chance for the unlikely alliance between the Diamond and the Scelesti, as even the Abyss has its enemies.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Okay, I'm sorry. I just thought it was okay to at least talk about it. I wasn't trying to start a fight. I can't seem to delete the offending posts. I guess just ignore them for now.

Comment

• Eh; no need to delete. With your clarification (that it's a personal preference of yours, and you don't want it to be the official explanation), your earlier past is quite reasonable. I could totally see the Abyss as a viable origin for the Contagion.

Put another way, “it must not come from the Abyss” is nearly as problematic as “it must come from the Abyss”.

And Inferno is an interesting thing to reference, as I remember that when it came out, there were a lot of objections to the idea that the Inferno is part of the Lower Depths.
                        Last edited by Dataweaver; 08-02-2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Eh; no need to delete. With your clarification (that it's a personal preference of yours, and you don't want it to be the official explanation), your earlier past is quite reasonable. I could totally see the Abyss as a viable origin for the Contagion.

Put another way, “it must not come from the Abyss” is nearly as problematic as “it must come from the Abyss”.

And Inferno is an interesting thing to reference, as I remember that when it came out, there were a lot of objections to the idea that the Inferno is part of the Lower Depths.
                          I think Inferno was considered one for a time, but was never called out as such in print.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• It was (and, last I checked, still is) considered one by the guy who wrote the book. That's as close to “canon” as something not in print can get. That, and I think Imperial Mysteries might have actually put it in print.

Comment

It was (and, last I checked, still is) considered one by the guy who wrote the book. That's as close to “canon” as something not in print can get. That, and I think Imperial Mysteries might have actually put it in print.
                              I am pretty sure it is listed in Imp Mysts as well.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Okay, I'm sorry. I just thought it was okay to at least talk about it. I wasn't trying to start a fight. I can't seem to delete the offending posts. I guess just ignore them for now.
                                Nothing you wrote was offending. I'm sorry if I came out a bit aggressive in my post- that's why I usually don't post when I'm tired and worn out. All is well

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                                X