No announcement yet.

[Dark Eras fan] Byzantine Empire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And here is first version of Introduction subchapter...

Introduction

This book is work of heart from fans of Chronicles of Darkness and history. It’s fan expansion of canon of CofD gamelines as Dark Eras setting in times of great empire on the East – Byzantium, the Rome of East. All shown here materials are not CofD canon – but they derived and are based on canon sources. Many times I point to official materials from what those ideas spring. Here is short list of those product that maybe needed for you to use some of concepts inside this book.

Chronicles of Darkness products
    • Contagion Chronicles – One of most impactful struggles that Byzantines needed to confront was Plague of Justinian that returned to Empire for over two centuries, shaping its history to what we know today. However, there were also other hazards for the peace of nation – one of them was Iconoclasm conflicts inside of Empire. Both of those events were having supernatural repercussions as two Contagion strains that worked on the Empire. Contagion Chronicles will let you better understand those phenomena – and aspects of many monster races fighting with repercussions of those in Eastern Roman Empire, in cross-races factions, known as Sworn and False.
    • Dark Eras products – List is a bit long, as this fan setting connects them in Byzantium times, stretching over 1000 years of history:
    • After the Fall, Dark Eras 1 – DtD era about Byzantine Empire after Ottomans defeated it, from 1453 AD
    • Forsaken by Rome, Dark Eras 1 Companion – WtF era about Roman Uratha in 1st century.
    • 1001 Nights, Dark Eras 2 – VtR and BtP setting about Abbasid Caliphate in Islamic Golden Age (750 to 1258)
    • Requiem for Rome: Fall of Camarilla – Precursor to Dark Eras settings line itself, it marks vampires society from the time of fall of Rome to rules of Justinian in 532 AD.
    • VtR: Ancient Mysteries – Book for Vampire: The Requiem, full of historical settings.
    Inspirations

History of Byzantium podcast – One of best source on constant narrative of Byzantine Empire, from its start as Eastern part of Roman Empire in 4th century – till it’s fall under Ottomans in 15th century. Great journey that will show you all the Byzantine history, intertwined and in context of previous and later events. I highly recommend it to you! Source - HoB on Podbean

Mini-Eras

Byzantium Empire history is too much for only one Dark Eras setting. In order to encompass it all, we need to divide it into 4 smaller periods subchapters, with proper settings ideas and materials. Because of historical implications, each new Era will be based on information from previous one.
    1. Dawn of Byzantium - End of Western Empire and Justinian dynasty (480 – 626)
    2. Shrinking Empire - Shrinking borders and Macedonian dynasty (626 – 1025)
    3. Broken Eagle - Komnenian dynasty and the Crusades (1025 – 1204)
    4. Fall of Byzantium – Up to conquer by Ottomans (1204 - 1475)
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-30-2019, 05:38 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

First, I want to thanks users that helped me on this project! Many thanks to: nikink, Khanwulf , LostLight , Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll , Second Chances , nofather and Spencer from The Hills - without you guys, we would not have all we have now in it. I want to hear from you what do you think about now ready text.

Second, I finalized First Draft of 1/3 of the Dark Era - Introduction and Dawn of Byzantium chapter. It's probably the most informative and rest half of mechanical and setting changes will be in next chapter - ( so if you don't see your idea, it will probably be in next part ) - but it lays groundwork for the setting and points to main elements like Sworn, False, new Covenants, new Protectorate or new Orders. I also analyze life in Byzantium in 6th century, hoping to show how it was different from Western Roman times of official Dark Eras to this date. I hope that you like what you read - and point me where it should be improved.

Here is first part of First Draft -
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkr50m0h3n...20PDF.pdf?dl=0

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

When you uncover that Game of Thrones is great inspiration for stories in Byzantium! Here is new Inspirations sum-up I added to Dark Era drafts and sidebar on eunuch in Empire.

Game of Thrones TV series / Song of Ice and Fire books series – Epic fantasy series that have a lot of common themes with Byzantine Empire history. Multinational medieval country that is successor to great empire that conquered half of then known world. The state undergoing constant trial from plague that can easily be God’s Judgment ( Plague of Justinian / Black Death and hordes of undead ), torn apart by struggles of noble families that could practically be independent kingdoms (dynasties of specific provinces) or rebels taking power from a ruling dynasty - and then clearing the country of the descendants of the previous one. There are also eunuchs possessing powerful influences in the palace, an unusual substance that allows you to burn every enemy (Greek Fire) or barbaric peoples of the Great Steppe that you have to tame - or get along with them. In this Dark Era we go a step further and say that among real world Plague victims is new undead threat. Both TV series and book series nicely show us what can happen then to protagonists.

Eunuchs

One of unusual traditions of the Byzantine Empire was more and more important role of eunuchs in day-to-day life. Banned practice of castration in early centuries in country itself, it was very popular to get one slave for your nobility household, from the boarders outside of state. Sometimes, poor families inside the empire made the illegal procedure to ensure better life for boys not fit to live from field. Eunuchs were valued as not aggressive, sexual safe servants, with no family and work driven. With coming centuries, more and more respect was given to them. Narses ( 476 to 573 ) was eunuch important to ruler Justinian – he was one of his closest advisors, later general and province governor ( exarch ). It was official that Emperor Chamberlain position could only be for them.
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-04-2019, 12:01 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
          *Hears NDA ninjas land on the roof*

Or [REDACTED]. I'll circle back to this when I can talk about it.
          Okay, I can come back to this now. The Blood Talon could be descended from a rite master al-Ma'mum summoned to study the Refrain. The family and tribe have been part of the Rosetta Society ever since, hunting the Pure – and the Contagion – in Cairo.

Black Lives Matter

He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

As we have Dark Eras 2 PDF, look over for new stuff in Byznatium here in coming weeks.

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
            Okay, I can come back to this now. The Blood Talon could be descended from a rite master al-Ma'mum summoned to study the Refrain. The family and tribe have been part of the Rosetta Society ever since, hunting the Pure – and the Contagion – in Cairo.
            Oh, where those are in 1001 Nightmare era in Dark Eras 2 text? I would love to read more on it, as I'm diving into text of it...

LGBT+ through Ages
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
              As we have Dark Eras 2 PDF, look over for new stuff in Byznatium here in coming weeks.

Oh, where those are in 1001 Nightmare era in Dark Eras 2 text? I would love to read more on it, as I'm diving into text of it...
              Scattered throughout the Where We Are Now and What Is to Come sections. The Refrain itself is mostly in Playing The Game.

Black Lives Matter

He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

Working...
              X