Elseworlds - DC Chronicles of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elseworlds - DC Chronicles of Darkness

Like I did with Marvel, it could be fun to speculate about who would be what if the DC Universe also took place in the Chronicles of Darkness. Like with Marvel, I may try to write some CofD crossover fiction at some point, but for now, lets just have fun brainstorming.

As before, I'm totally open to people discussing multiple possibilities for who characters would be and how the world would work. Interpretations could range from obvious (Etrigan is a Demon, Batman is a mortal with shit-ton of fighting merits) to plausible (Captain Atom as a Mage of Matter and Life, the Flash as Master of Space) to really out there (Joker as a Beast that genuinely wants to help people but keeps getting demonized by Heroes). In my eyes, all of those are equally valid and worthy of discussion.

Also, if you were to make an expanded universe out of a DC/CofD crossover, who would you start with and how would you go about it?

So, what do you think?
    Last edited by Second Chances; 09-08-2017, 07:04 PM.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Ra's al Ghul seems like a classic Immortal. Instead of a Blood Bather he has his Lazarus Pits, with grants a debilitating Madness Condition when used. The Tribe of Ubu, League of Shadows and League of Assassins, sometimes different things, sometimes different names for the same, are Mystery Cults with him at the head. High occult and science.

I know people prefer to go with gamelines, but a lot of the villains are easily Urged, Ridden or outright Claimed, like Poison Ivy and Swamp Thing, Animal Man and so forth. You could probably do them as Deviants but we don't really know the Deviant capability yet. Vixen has a Skinchanger amulet that grants her the attributes of animals. Manbat could be a thing from Skinchangers or a Deviant.

Simon Dark is an Extempore of Gotham. Kafka one of the Unclean. I like to imagine daemonites as an extraterrestrial host, trapped here when Pangaea fell.

While I could see an argument for the New Gods as Mages, some of them seem like they would be more fitting as outright Supernal beings. The Highfather as an Oracle, Darkseid is effectively all the Exarchs, with the other New Gods of Apokalips lesser reflections of him. If you went by the argument that the Exarchs are, in turn, lesser shades of some darker Tyranny, it would be an easy to go to Darkseid for that.
    Last edited by nofather; 09-08-2017, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I prefer to have Batman and Joker as a Hunter and a Slasher, respectively. However, they could also work as Beasts (an Ugallu Nemesis and Namtaru Ravager, respectively). Many of Batman's Rogues Gallery work as Slashers or Deviants.

Superman works well as an Unchained. A Guardian Inquisitor, most likely. The Clark Kent persona is his main Cover, the Man Of Steel is his Demonic Form and the Fortress Of Solitude is a super Bolthole.

The various versions of the Flash are either Deviants or Mages with a Time/Forces Legacy.

Mr. Mxyzptlk is either an epic True Fae or an Archmage.

Solomon Grundy is a Promethean, likely an Extempore.

John Constantine is a Mastigos Apostate with 2 dots across several Arcana, surprisingly decent Wisdom and high Gnosis + tons of Praxes to compensate for his lack of Rotes.

Wonder Woman at first seemed like a Galateid Promethean to me, but I don't think she struggled with anything like Disquiet/Wastelands/Pilgrimage. It is possible that she is an unique creation of the Divine Fire.

The Green Lanterns are likely Mages of the Adamatine Arrow with a Prime/Mind Legacy.

Martian Manhunter is...I don't know, some kind of benevolent Idigam? How would that even work?

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...ity-of-secrets
        Did this ages ago, I've explained it a bit in post 714 of the think of a fictional character thread.
        Alternitive take is Batman is a True Fay.

Comment

Benevolent aren't necessarily evil, they're more alien. They really don't like werewolves, though.

Eclipso would be a good example of an idigam. I realize now that as a sort of 'evil entity' this goes against my previous statement, but he exists in a coalesced form, his Black Diamond shards capable of turning people into heralds and other servants to promote his goal. The Blue Scarab might be a good example of a lower-powered idigam.

They could be another way to do the Lantern Corps. Each Lantern Central Power Battery being a sort of lair for these entities associated with different emotions, the ringbearers being heralds granted with some of the idigam's Influences. Talking about a Universe-wide cult powered by entities who are likewise universal embodiments of different emotions.

Comment

Superman and Lex Luthor I would view as a modern classical example of the relationship as Beast and Hero.

Lex checks out on many of the traits of modern Heroes as described in BtP: selfish and arrogant, believes metahumans, especially Superman, as being detrimental to human/mortal society, he's one of the few that's truly qualified to take them down, but has no issue using whatever means necessary...even if it means coercion, bribery, and violence to bring down metahumans. And how deep down, he has his own self-loathing on wanting to be like Supes, to get all the fame and glory for himself. Not because he's altruistic about keeping metahumans in line (unlike, say, Amanda Waller).

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
              Superman and Lex Luthor I would view as a modern classical example of the relationship as Beast and Hero.

Lex checks out on many of the traits of modern Heroes as described in BtP: selfish and arrogant, believes metahumans, especially Superman, as being detrimental to human/mortal society, he's one of the few that's truly qualified to take them down, but has no issue using whatever means necessary...even if it means coercion, bribery, and violence to bring down metahumans. And how deep down, he has his own self-loathing on wanting to be like Supes, to get all the fame and glory for himself. Not because he's altruistic about keeping metahumans in line (unlike, say, Amanda Waller).
              I also think this is a very good fit, although Demon!Superman works well too.

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Amanda Waller using supernatural creatures as a spear point for TFV to protect Americas interests, try and get a ghoul into congress and you can expect a visit.

Comment

I've been running a DC based CofD game for almost a decade now, it's a lot of fun. Some concepts gave me headaches to fit in (Lantern Corps, I'm looking at you) but all of the players enjoy it. We started it set in 2012 with villains. Somehow we ended up at 1999 with the teen titans. Good times. I did take some stranger takes on some characters, and a few of the players went even stranger with the PC heroes and villins, but.. we do our homework.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
                    I've been running a DC based CofD game for almost a decade now, it's a lot of fun. Some concepts gave me headaches to fit in (Lantern Corps, I'm looking at you) but all of the players enjoy it. We started it set in 2012 with villains. Somehow we ended up at 1999 with the teen titans. Good times. I did take some stranger takes on some characters, and a few of the players went even stranger with the PC heroes and villins, but.. we do our homework.
                    Lanterns are limited by creativity, right? Sounds like several legacies Mages, with Green Lanterns as a legacy specializing in Forces. I'm not nearly as verse in the others to comment on them though. DC needs to hurry up and get a Marvel Unlimited-style subscription up and running.

Comment

For the most part. There's some ridiculous Lantern stuff out there. Green Rings are for the most part the simplest, will it, it comes into being as green energy. The Black Lantern Rings return the dead to life, as sort of life-draining zombies. The Orange Lantern Ring lets you absorb the 'identity' of a person and then make them as a construct. The Blue Lantern ring has a special power to refill the energy of and supercharge other rings. The Red Ring replaces the bearers heart, turning their blood into fire and 'red energy,' which burns. The potential is limitless, but limits pop up all the time.

If you want to go mage they would be attainments, I guess. But it's still hard to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

I would go so far as to specifically say that Superman is specifically an Anakim Tyrant who establishes dominance by making himself the biggest hero around. His Brood includes Obrimos Green Lantern, Levinquick Changeling Flash, Were-bat Batman, Tammuz Wonder Woman (going with the "made from clay" origin), Order-Claimed Doctor Fate, Deviant Plastic Man, and Noble Shazam (specifically a Champion of Cups). Among so many others. And I'm kind of mixing JSA and JLA here.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post
                          Noble Shazam (specifically a Champion of Cups).
                          This is a fansplat?

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

This is a fansplat?
                            Yeah, Princess.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

For the Lantern Corps, I did go with a mage legacy--specifically, Seers of the Throne, with the "guardians of the universe'' being their euphemism for the Exarchs. They're a Prime/mind based legacy based on construction of eidolons and such, with Rings and Lanterns largely serving as mana batteries. The entities within the rings are either powerful goetia of the emotions, or perhaps even Supernal, though some (Larfleeze especially) seem more like archmasters.

Superman was a shoe in for me due to crossover that was already in the works, but.. my justice lineup...

Batman: a one man tier 3.5 Hunter conspiracy, that pretends to be an unknown supernatural being. There is no Batgirl or Batwoman--rather, all three dress as the Bat to make it seem Omnipresent, even sometimes during the same fight (thus allowing the ''solo'' Batman to use tactics). Dick Grayson was infected with the Mekhet Curse, Jason Todd is a Bound and Torn Reaper, Alfred is a ''retired'' angelic agent..

Wonder Woman, rather unshockingly, is a Galateid Promethean. She hasn't been directly introduced yet, and her creation, Donna Troy, has been seeking her out on the Pilgrimage. Wonder Woman has only been seen through athanors and elpis visions, flashbacks, and the like.

Aquaman is an Atlantean-faithed mage, destined to lead the Consilium after he returns from exile. Topo is his familiar, and he is excavating an undersea Atlanta ruin to use as his sanctum. One of his ''lads'', Tempest, has recently become a Tamer of Rivers, like Tula before him. Ocean Master is a scelesti. Meta hasn't been introduced yet, but I'm leaning towards Changeling or Beast (with kinship to mages, changeling, and Atlantis).

The Flash, so far, is likely a demon, but so far he is a mystery. Bart Allen is a Fractal, so its possible that the ''lightning bolt'' was the Flash's fall, and Barry Allen and the job as a lab tech was retroactively added as Cover.

The Arrow is a changeling of the Winter Court, likely a Soldier and Woodwalker. I went with a mixture of Link and Legolas, but with more darkness and cold oriented, evergreens and starry nights. The Island was his durance, and he never met his Keeper. Though a fetch of him was made, it was made incorrectly--it came out the wrong age, with no memories, in a native American tribal reserve. He was raised as Roy Harper, who would eventually find The Arrow and have a troubled relationship with him.

Cyborg is a Deviant, likely Loyal.

The Martian Manhunter hasn't been revealed, but due to shapeshifting prowess and an unusual bane and backstory, I'm slating him as a Huntsman, though not one sent to capture any of the Lost associated with the teams. Miss Martian is a changeling of the same keeper, but unlikely to be the Manhunter's target unless I can make their familial or romantic affection in the end.

Hawkman is a falcon headed Maa'kep who may have chronologically been the first Justice Society member, having been part of something akin to it since the beginning of human society. He still has memories of the Su-Menent that performed the Rite upon him, and fears he has died at its hands many times since. Hawkgirl is a psychopomp Angel that has inserted itself into Hackman's life and memories as his ''handler'', and is secretly trying to use the Justice League as the God-machine's secret task force and brute squad. She will eventually be discovered to be a traitor and spy, and will have to choose between loyalty to her alien agenda or loyalty to her earthly allies and lover.

Ironically, I haven't read Princess yet, but somehow that does seem like it'd be a great fit for Shazam.

Comment

Working...
                              X