No announcement yet.

Jackals [Zombie mini template]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, following some of amechra's (and others') suggestions, I have revised the Jackal Template to include the following changes-

- fixed the Craving/Carving issue, and separated it to its own section

- revised the Soulless Condition to be a bit less harsh

- renamed Imagine to Sarcophagus (I mean, it literally has "flesh eating" in the name. How didn't I thought about it before?)

- reduced the Necrosis pool to just Sarcophagus

- replaced Dread Powers with Zombie powers from Antagonists called Tachrichim. Sure, those are also not meant for players originally, but I revised them a bit, limited the way they can be bought and added Banes (based upon the Zombie Weaknesses) in order to balance it out a bit.

Now I just hope I haven't made an even greater mess than before :P

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
    I now blog in here

Comment

The Tachrichim (how are you supposed to pronounce those "ch" sounds, anyway? Hard, soft, or back-of-the-throat?) are... messy. May I suggest taking a look here for a 2e take on the Zombie powers?

Also, they could be formatted better. Something like:

Upon Deathly Winds (• - •••••)
      The Jackal may call upon Death to carry them through the night - add the Jackal's dots in Upon Deathly Winds to their Speed.
      Additionally, there's a massive difference in power level between them. Compare Dancing Plague to Shadow Cloaking - one of those is a waste of a slot.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Seconding on the formatting. And some of the power do seem I'm balanced or need clarification - does the ••• Dancing Plague also apply to those killed by the Horde, or just sentient Jackals?

For additional power ideas, what about absorbing some of the memories of their "meals" (for some iZombie fun), or looking at the individual abilities for some if the Sheut-based Mummy Affinities?

For Weaknesses, how about being plagued by the impluses of the last person you ate - a Condition, or replacing one of your Aspirations with theirs? Or being distracted by witnessing death, or the whispers of the spectral dead.
        Last edited by Vent0; 10-08-2017, 02:54 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
          The Tachrichim (how are you supposed to pronounce those "ch" sounds, anyway? Hard, soft, or back-of-the-throat?) are... messy. May I suggest taking a look here for a 2e take on the Zombie powers?

Also, they could be formatted better. Something like:

Additionally, there's a massive difference in power level between them. Compare Dancing Plague to Shadow Cloaking - one of those is a waste of a slot.
          ammm about the formatting- no problem, once I'll have time. As for the power balance- yeah, I may have not been too careful when I updated the powers. I would have liked to say that I would remake the powers, but the chances that I'll actually have time (and willpower) to do so are a bit slim. I would give a look at the thread, however- maybe something in there would "click".

As for how to pronounce the word- I'm not a linguist, so while I think I understand the principle, I'm not sure how exactly to literally describe the sound. The "ch" in Tachrichim (both of them) is of the same sound as Chemistry or Michael. Not an easy word for a latin based throat :P

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
            Seconding on the formatting. And some of the power do seem I'm balanced or need clarification - does the ••• Dancing Plague also apply to those killed by the Horde, or just sentient Jackals?
            I would say yes, at least for the general form of zombies. An Horde which rise because of a specific supernatural force (like Supernal Magic, or the Awful Ice *shameless promotion*) would not, but the common living dead rise from the grave because of the same metaphysical power as the one which operates the Jackal's corpse.

For additional power ideas, what about absorbing some of the memories of their "meals" (for some iZombie fun), or looking at the individual abilities for some if the Sheut-based Mummy Affinities?

For Weaknesses, how about being plagued by the impluses of the last person you ate - a Condition, or replacing one of your Aspirations with theirs? Or being distracted by witnessing death, or the whispers of the spectral dead.
            Those sound all nice- but as I said earlier, I'm really not sure I'll manage to write new powers, or revise the existing ones. If someone has the inspiration to do so, feel free and I'll add them to the main post!

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
              As for how to pronounce the word- I'm not a linguist, so while I think I understand the principle, I'm not sure how exactly to literally describe the sound. The "ch" in Tachrichim (both of them) is of the same sound as Chemistry or Michael. Not an easy word for a latin based throat :P
              I don't know how you pronounce Chemistry, but that would mean that you pronounce it "Takrikeem", which is pretty easy to say.

It's not like, say, "sure, w is a vowel" Welsh.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

Comment

I don't know how you pronounce Chemistry, but that would mean that you pronounce it "Takrikeem", which is pretty easy to say.

It's not like, say, "sure, w is a vowel" Welsh.
                because it is not "k". Believe me, I would have said so if that was the case :P

here, this is a better representation of the sound

I now blog in here

Comment

It sounds Hebrew. I forget the letter but I know what you mean.

This guy has it. I should note that the Guest does it well while the automated voice is reading it phonetically.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                    It sounds Hebrew. I forget the letter but I know what you mean.

This guy has it. I should note that the Guest does it well while the automated voice is reading it phonetically.
                    you are correct- Tachrichim is the Hebrew word for Shrouds.

I now blog in here

Comment

It's the letter Chet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heth) And it is pronounced as Lostlight's link says.

For those who are interested, it's the answer to the age old question of 'is it spelled Hanukkah or Chanukkah'; neither it is spelled חֲנֻכָּה (that's read right to left by the way).

Comment

Sounds like a "k" sound to me - then again, I'm also a bit hard-of-hearing.

I'm assuming that you're supposed to pronounce it a bit further back in the throat?

Comment

Sounds like a "k" sound to me - then again, I'm also a bit hard-of-hearing.

I'm assuming that you're supposed to pronounce it a bit further back in the throat?
                          yeah, it should be pronounced from the back of the throat- but there is a common phenomena that people who can't pronounce a certain sound also can't hear it, hence the difficulties. Anyway, you I assume you can pronounce "Tachrichim" as "Takrikim" and the Academy for Hebrew Language (it's a thing) won't send their language ninjas and cut your throat, but I still do enjoy this :P

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post
                            It's the letter Chet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heth) And it is pronounced as Lostlight's link says.

For those who are interested, it's the answer to the age old question of 'is it spelled Hanukkah or Chanukkah'; neither it is spelled חֲנֻכָּה (that's read right to left by the way).
                            Actually, the letter is called Chaf- which is a letter that has two to to be pronounces, depends where it is found in a sentence- either as "k" or "ch". In theory, there is a difference between Heith and Chaf, but even most modern hebrew speakers can't hear or pronounce it (certain communities excluded), so it is, in practice, the same sound.

I now blog in here

Comment

Actually, the letter is called Chaf- which is a letter that has two to to be pronounces, depends where it is found in a sentence- either as "k" or "ch". In theory, there is a difference between Heith and Chaf, but even most modern hebrew speakers can't hear or pronounce it (certain communities excluded), so it is, in practice, the same sound.

Oh really, guess that's what I get for not looking up the word in question. I just assumed a Chet, but yeah, the difference between Kof and CHet can be lost depending on speaker (my pronounciation is terrrible since I come from an Ashkenazi family but grew up in Washington state where there are like 10 jews total and they are all Sephardic (I kid a bit)).

Comment

yeah, it should be pronounced from the back of the throat- but there is a common phenomena that people who can't pronounce a certain sound also can't hear it, hence the difficulties. Anyway, you I assume you can pronounce "Tachrichim" as "Takrikim" and the Academy for Hebrew Language (it's a thing) won't send their language ninjas and cut your throat, but I still do enjoy this :P
                                I probably wouldn't be able to hear it even if I could pronounce it. Hearing for me involves a lot of mind reading.

Comment

Working...
                                X