Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Psychokinesis and physical materials

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Psychokinesis and physical materials

    Hello, can Psychokinesis apply to a physical material (the classical elements, metal, plastic)??

  • #2
    Not as written as it is meant to be used to manipulate different forces, but it's ridiculously simple to houserule that limitation away.


    Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tessie View Post
      Not as written as it is meant to be used to manipulate different forces, but it's ridiculously simple to houserule that limitation away.
      True, though (@Ibeaumanior) pay attention to what it does mechanically and the implications as well. It is used to manipulate and attack with X, and at 5 dots can create X.

      Also look at a medium restricted form of Telekinesis to gauge whether that might be a better fit. It might vary, based on what you are trying to do.


      Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks, now I can use this for my own Chronicle.

        Comment


        • #5
          From what I remember in the rule book, controlling an actual substance or element is classified as a specific type of psionic perk. For example, if you want to control fire, you take Pyrokinesis, if you want ice, you take Cryokinesis, and if you want electricity, you take Electrokinesis. est.

          Other possibilities that come to mind include:

          Geokinesis = earth and rock

          Aerokinesis = wind and air

          Hydrokinesis = Water
          Last edited by Nyrufa; 09-30-2017, 10:06 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            But everything changed when the pyrokineticists attacked.


            Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
              Technokinesis = Machines

              Biokinesis = Biology
              Not sure about these two - they seem exceedingly general. 5 dots means you can create any machine or lifeform? Even at 3 dots, you can control anything in those categories?

              But then, what would Automobilekinesis be like?
              Last edited by Vent0; 09-30-2017, 08:55 AM.


              Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

                Not sure about these two - they seem exceedingly general. 5 dots means you can create any machine or lifeform? Even at 3 dots, you can control anything in those categories?

                But then, what would Automobilekinesis be like?

                Hmm, yeah, didn't think about the 5 dot versions of those.

                Also, it doesn't seem like characters are able to use a very large amount of these forces at a time. The first rank can only inflict 1 point of Lethal damage, with the second rank inflicting 2 points. Add to the fact that you need to spend a point of willpower every time you use it and it doesn't seem like a very powerful ability.

                Unless I'm underestimating how effective 2 points of Lethal damage can be?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                  The first rank can only inflict 1 point of Lethal damage, with the second rank inflicting 2 points.
                  The three-dot version counts as a +1L weapon that bumps up to +2L at five dots. That's equivalent to a hatchet or a machete with no Strength requirement, no Initiative penalty, no physical reach constraint, and also you can do other stuff with it.

                  Unless I'm underestimating how effective 2 points of Lethal damage can be?
                  It's a third of the average person's Health.


                  Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                  Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    It's a third of the average person's Health.
                    Almost half counting a single success to a 2L weapon.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Biokinesis is already a thing. It lets you shift your attributes within certain limits that make it mathematically impossible to use at a 5 dot level, despite the merit going that high.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                        The three-dot version counts as a +1L weapon that bumps up to +2L at five dots. That's equivalent to a hatchet or a machete with no Strength requirement, no Initiative penalty, no physical reach constraint, and also you can do other stuff with it.

                        It's a third of the average person's Health.


                        Oh, it adds lethal damage? I thought it did a flat 1 / 2. That makes it much better, then.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                          It lets you shift your attributes within certain limits that make it mathematically impossible to use at a 5 dot level, despite the merit going that high.
                          If you have fewer than five dots between you and a full Physical spread of 5/5/5, sure, but there's nothing to indicate that "move dots from one to another" means "move dots from one to only one other," particularly given the obvious hole that creates from normal human Attributes having a universal minimum of 1.

                          Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                          Oh, it adds lethal damage? I thought it did a flat 1 / 2. That makes it much better, then.
                          The regular manifestations deal a flat amount of damage where appropriate, but using the force as a direct offensive implement counts it as a weapon.


                          Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                            If you have fewer than five dots between you and a full Physical spread of 5/5/5, sure, but there's nothing to indicate that "move dots from one to another" means "move dots from one to only one other," particularly given the obvious hole that creates from normal human Attributes having a universal minimum of 1.
                            If you let them go to zero, I guess. But aside from that there's not a single legal transfer you can't do with less.

                            But this is off-topic. As far as psychokinetic manipulation of living matter goes I'd probably count blood, muscle, bone and all that as separate substances.

                            So you'd have haemokinesis, osteokinesis... I'm not sure what muscle manipulation would be called.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                              If you have fewer than five dots between you and a full Physical spread of 5/5/5, sure, but there's nothing to indicate that "move dots from one to another" means "move dots from one to only one other," particularly given the obvious hole that creates from normal human Attributes having a universal minimum of 1.
                              Even if you do allow transfer between all three Attributes you can always optimize the shifts so that you never move more than four dots. The only time the fifth dot in this Merit can matter is if the character has managed to get more than five dots in an Attribute.


                              Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X