Pacts for all

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacts for all

So, if you're anything like me, you both loved the Summoners book from Mage 1e, and loved using its optional system for Pacts for even non-mages. But if you're even more like me, you always regretted that the systems are so slanted towards Mages, and so require no small amount of finagling to work with other types of characters, too. And of course, the fact that it's first edition is itself a difficulty for those (still like me) that primarily stick to 2nd edition now.

About a month ago, I decided to do something about that, and today, I've gotten it to the point where I'd call this "fan book" I've been working on a "Very rough, incomplete first draft". It's about 50 pages long, mostly "crunch", but with some general fluff and story hooks included, with the goal of essentially providing ways for any and all Chronicles of Darkness games to include Pacts with otherworldly (or more local) entities.

A small overview of some of what's in it:
    *New mechanics for Mortals, including a new merit and a new Minor Template.
    *New mechanics for Vampires, including merits, Rituals/Miracles (including updates for 1e Spirit Cruac), and an elder Coil.
    *New mechanics for Werewolves, including a Pack tactic and a Lodge.
    *A new Nightmare for Beast
    *Updated Summoners spells/merits from Summoners for Mages (with a few being switched to work for more than just Mages)
    *A new spell that lets Mages forge limited Pacts
    *Mechanics for what exactly happens on the side of the entity forging the Pact, including a way for Demons to use the new system.
    *Updated and consolidated Pact mechanics that can be used by anyone

Some notes ahead of time:
    *I know some splats better than others. Vampire got a lot of content because I love and am pretty proficient (in my opinion) with its mechanics. Mage got a ton of updated spells (and will eventually get Legacies) because I've similarly learned its mechanics well enough to be able to do so. But this does means splats that I know less or not at all got less attention or got omitted. This is the nature of a single-author fan book. There's nothing really on Prometheans, for instance (as I don't really know them at all in 2e), and nothing about Demons summoning things (as I don't know enough about their fluff to offer advice there).
    *Along those same lines, I might have some fluff wrong; feel free to let me know if anything in the 2e books directly contradicts something I've written. I don't think I purposely redefined anything entirely.
    *Beast, while I love it, has little design space right now for anything "Summoning" oriented, but if the Players Guide offers anything in the right design space I'll throw them some updates.
    *Changeling's not done yet, and I don't want to rewrite stuff, so the Fae side of this will be added in the future, after Changeling comes out.
    *In general, I have other ideas and will likely expand on this more in the future.
    *Yes, I very purposely changed the number of Pacts you can have to rely on Occult. It does make Occult that much more powerful for supernaturally-focused characters, but nothing else makes sense; I don't like it relying on Supernatural Tolerance like in 1e. Feel free to use that old rule if you prefer it.

So, keep criticisms constructive, and if you have any suggestions for other things to add, feel free to let me know and I'll add it to my list. And if you see formatting errors and such, I'll deal with that later. Same with stuff not being in alphabetical order; I tended to go through various books and add them in the order I found them. I'll rearrange it later on.

Link:
    A Deal With Darkness
    Last edited by falco1029; 10-01-2017, 09:38 PM.

My CofD Homebrew

The pack tactic is lacking themes, needs three more. Also, your first paragraph in the Forsaken part implies Pure have Ithaeur, which they do not. Nevermind the lack of mention of Bale Hounds, who get boons such as immortality from their Wounded patrons. Director's sacred hunt should note Prey's Blood working regardless of the cover assumed by the quarry, that would be more elegant.

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post
      The pack tactic is lacking themes, needs three more. Also, your first paragraph in the Forsaken part implies Pure have Ithaeur, which they do not. Nevermind the lack of mention of Bale Hounds, who get boons such as immortality from their Wounded patrons. Director's sacred hunt should note Prey's Blood working regardless of the cover assumed by the quarry, that would be more elegant.
      All good points that I'll correct the next time I'm at my main PC! The pure lacking auspices was definitely a brain fart for me. Bale hounds I avoided simply due to lack of 2e info.

EDIT: Fixed.
      Last edited by falco1029; 10-02-2017, 07:41 AM.

My CofD Homebrew

Comment

Nice. Only got a quick look at it so far, but looks like you've got some good ideas there. One thing I noted that the mage spells seem a bit off, as in that they require a few too many arcana often, which 2e doesn't really do anymore. For example Summon Cryptid should have no need for space (but may be Spirit 3, Life 3, really depends on how you want to handle cryptids as for 2e there are no decisive rules for them), Look within the Gauntlet doesn't need Space (though wether looking into the Gauntlet would require just fraying or unraveling/pattering might be up for debate), Other Channel... is really hard to say. I'd personally put it at Spirit 4 since Spirit is the most primarily otherworld Arcanum and this is definitly building a doorway to somewhere where no door was meant to exist, which sounds like unravelling to me. But idk, maybe Space does serve a purpose here, depending on how you view the metaphysics of this spell. Hostile Space does not need space, as enchanting an area does not require space (anymore). Instead I'd say this is a Spirit 3 spell that degrades certain otherworldly entities or a Mind 3 spell that degrades mental actions, possibly with fate 2 mixed in to only hit certain targets.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Flinty View Post
          Nice. Only got a quick look at it so far, but looks like you've got some good ideas there. One thing I noted that the mage spells seem a bit off, as in that they require a few too many arcana often, which 2e doesn't really do anymore. For example Summon Cryptid should have no need for space (but may be Spirit 3, Life 3, really depends on how you want to handle cryptids as for 2e there are no decisive rules for them), Look within the Gauntlet doesn't need Space (though wether looking into the Gauntlet would require just fraying or unraveling/pattering might be up for debate), Other Channel... is really hard to say. I'd personally put it at Spirit 4 since Spirit is the most primarily otherworld Arcanum and this is definitly building a doorway to somewhere where no door was meant to exist, which sounds like unravelling to me. But idk, maybe Space does serve a purpose here, depending on how you view the metaphysics of this spell. Hostile Space does not need space, as enchanting an area does not require space (anymore). Instead I'd say this is a Spirit 3 spell that degrades certain otherworldly entities or a Mind 3 spell that degrades mental actions, possibly with fate 2 mixed in to only hit certain targets.
          Yeah I was pretty 1 to 1 with them. I left the Space in a few places simply to cover the "unnatural realm' aspect, the idea being that Space covers stuff like pocket realms, so you'd combine that with spirit to access "Otherworldly pocket realms" and similar. I can see what you mean for the Gauntlet and Cryptid spells, though, I'll definitely change that. For now I'll leave look into the Gauntlet as Fraying.

My CofD Homebrew

Comment

Up to Mages so far. The Vampire entries were good, from what I could tell. Was Group Summons a Pack Tactic, or a Pack Rite? It says Tactic, but looks like a Rite. Also, it doesn't matter much for a Werewolf focused game, but crossover-wise, the Directors of the Sacred Gears powers violate a bit of Demon's material. Being able to ignore spoofing is something even the G-M can't reliably manage, and being able to determine the truth of a Demon's statements is a unique (and not even standard) Fractal ability.

(If I had to offer up alternatives, I'd say either sensing Aether or Aether Expenditures, or sensing Embeds are a good alternative. Being able to track by blood through Cover is good, and already there, and maybe add being able to intuit the Demon's Form Abilities might fit as well. All of which makes the better at hunting Demons without outright ignoring core Template abilities.)

Also, this seems similar to Pacts for Everyone. Convergent thought?
            Last edited by Vent0; 10-04-2017, 12:01 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
              Up to Mages so far. The Vampire entries were good, from what I could tell. Was Group Summons a Pack Tactic, or a Pack Rite? It says Tactic, but looks like a Rite. Also, it doesn't matter much for a Werewolf focused game, but crossover-wise, the Directors of the Sacred Gears powers violate a bit of Demon's material. Being able to ignore spoofing is something even the G-M can't reliably manage, and being able to determine the truth of a Demon's statements is a unique (and not even standard) Fractal ability.

(If I had to offer up alternatives, I'd say either sensing Aether or Aether Expenditures, or sensing Embeds are a good alternative. Being able to track by blood through Cover is good, and already there, and maybe add being able to intuit the Demon's Form Abilities might fit as well. All of which makes the better at hunting Demons without outright ignoring core Template abilities.)

Also, this seems similar to Pacts for Everyone. Convergent thought?
              I'll look into that. I can probably remove the lie detection without removing the hunt's efficacy, but spoofing I feel needs at least some penalty relating to them, instead of 1 success = spoofed. Maybe it basically becomes a Clash of Wills or similar?

As for the given link, I'll glance that over, it's possible I've seen it before but I just pulled from the books for this.

My CofD Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by falco1029 View Post

I'll look into that. I can probably remove the lie detection without removing the hunt's efficacy, but spoofing I feel needs at least some penalty relating to them, instead of 1 success = spoofed. Maybe it basically becomes a Clash of Wills or similar?

As for the given link, I'll glance that over, it's possible I've seen it before but I just pulled from the books for this.
                Clash of Wills would indeed be thematic. A similar effect might be penalizing all Spoofing rolls by Primal Urge (increasing chances of Failure and Dramatic Failure).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Frankly, the blood taste is good enough on it's own to put 2 and 2 together on a hunt. The lodge is basically elimination infrastructure.

Comment

Well they still need a blessing. I've toned it down a notch (made it a CoW) and removed the lie detection for now.

EDIT: Oh, and group summons was a pack tactic. It's basically doing the 'mortal' method of Summoning in the Core, but with some pack flair.
                    Last edited by falco1029; 10-04-2017, 08:34 PM.

My CofD Homebrew

Comment

Working...
                    X