[2E] Debt - Aspiration or Condition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Debt - Aspiration or Condition?

My player in 2E Werewolf come to me with character concept that his PC is in debt from his father actions. He wrote this as Aspiration on char sheet, but Debt to me also sounds as Persistent Condition to me. Should it be one or another? Or maybe both?

Do character with Debt Condition and Aspiration 'To pay up families Debt' will gets twice the Beats from session trying to pay up?

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Depends. While yes, having a condition that models debts and an aspiration (likely long term) to get rid of it, that would feasibly yield beats when a) the condition itself unfortunates the character; and b) when he takes steps at resolving said debt.

When Baby takes on a getaway driver job to pay off his debt to Doc, he's risking his well-being in order to finally fulfill that condition as per his aspiration. When Bats decides he's gonna put the fear of the reaper on Debbie to get under Baby's skin, he should take a beat from the condition.

Comment

So, yes, both as appropriate to the character, and providing Beats for both. Players should be rewarded for coming up with compelling multifaceted story hooks for their characters.

Comment

And what if the same character have Greed as Vice - would collecting money be next source of Willpower/Beats for character?

Note: I run with small house rule that players get's 'Roleplaying Beats' for trying to work their Anchors ( Virtue & Vice, Blood & Bone, etc. ) in gameplay of character. Mostly it's 1-2 Beats per session.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
        My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
        MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
          And what if the same character have Greed as Vice - would collecting money be next source of Willpower/Beats for character?

Note: I run with small house rule that players get's 'Roleplaying Beats' for trying to work their Anchors ( Virtue & Vice, Blood & Bone, etc. ) in gameplay of character. Mostly it's 1-2 Beats per session.
          Are they endangering themselves (physical, socially, or mentally) and/or furthering the story? Then yes.

If it is enhancing play, reward it.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

I'd say having a Virtue of Responsible or something similar would work better there. Greed would imply that they wanted the money for themselves rather than to pay off debts.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
            Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Working...
            X