Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of isekai CofD supernatural predator would you be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of isekai CofD supernatural predator would you be?

Well, we have done the "you as a supernatural" topic a few times already, but pop culture teaches us there may always be room for a new tweak on a classic trope, and recent viewing of a few isekai anime shows inspired me to do an equivalent scenario for the CofD world, with a twist. Assume one day in the near future you suffer a near-death experience because of a freaky accident or act of random violence, and in the moment of your passing you meet a godlike being of bossy attitude and questionable morality. It tells you for its own unfathomable motives it shall make you reincarnate in a world closely resembling the CofD setting as some kind of supernatural predator for mortals. Available choices include all the splats whose hunting activities would be able to feed a Beast that had Family Ties with them (vampires, beasts, werewolves, changelings) or that otherwise have a need for a predatory lifestyle (demons). Other supernaturals that do not have a significant need to be a hunter/predator for mortals (mages, mummies, prometheans, sin-eaters) are not acceptable choices, although in the case of sub-splat variants that are predatory by nature (e.g. Tremere, Zeka, and Shuanksen) you may pick them as well. In any case, you shall be forced to adopt a predatory lifestyle in a manner appropriate to your chosen splat, be it by nature or acquired compulsion. Mortals, human-like lesser splats, hunters, or heroes are strictly forbidden, since the apparent point of the exercise is to be reborn as a monster, not its victim or someone who hunts monsters. In the case The godlike being warns that refusal to cooperate in good faith with the process or suicidal behavior as an act of defiance would be punished horribly (picture the fate you fear the most).

You shall keep your memories of your old life and extensive knowledge of the CofD setting, and be able to customize your new self much like a videogame-interface equivalent of the character-creation process in the appropriate CofD gameline. This includes picking your preferred looks within the boundaries of teenager or young adult appearance (as traditional for isekai shows) and gender. For obvious reasons, the scenario ignores the trope that isekai MC are usually cis straight male Japanese high-school students or middle-aged salarymen, although the apparent age limits stand. All the necessary knowledge about the new skills and powers you choose to have shall be downloaded in your brain. About your old life's skills, you can choose to keep them by spending the points to buy the equivalent for your new form, or drop and forget them. As a compensation for your inconvenience, and since isekai main characters are usually quite overpowered, you shall be gifted with 100 extra Xp, making you the instant equivalent of an elder supernatural. Alternatively you may choose to get +0 extra Xp and a x10 Xp gaining rate, allowing you to grow into an overpowered character in short order.

Since isekai MC are usually rootless drifter newcomers at the beginning of their journey in the new world, you are forbidden from buying any Social Merits that would mean an established power base or social network - you shall have to build any allies, contacts, etc. from scratch. Resources are an exception: if you buy them, you shall gain money in quick order by various kinds of lucky events that bestow you with wealth. Since isekai MC often develop nakama/harem parties of friend/lover true companions, you are encouraged to buy at least 4-5 dots in Allies. They represent NPC of various supernatural splats (your choice) that won't be available to you at the beginning of your new life, but you shall meet and befriend (or fall in love with) them over time.

They shall form the core of your coterie/coven/pack/family party of adventuring companions. They shall have features you would find congenial for close friends and/or lovers, you shall feel driven to respect and cherish them as close friends, lovers, or adopted family (your choice), and they shall usually reciprocate, apart from some recurrent, mutual bickering or misunderstanding driven by odd circumstances. Such bickering/misunderstanding may often make your existence interesting in the troublesome sense, but shall never be abusive or threaten your bond. Destiny shall usually manipulate circumstances to make members of your party your best and often only true options for close friends, lovers, or family. If you are romantically/sexually active at all, you shall get a strong urge to be polyamorous and treat members of your harem equally.

The scenario summarily ignores the trope of the MC becoming pathetically shy, indecisive, or oblivious to love with one's harem since it is just too obnoxious, but you have the option to stay celibate by picking only non-romantic variants for your party. You may also entirely opt out of the nakama/harem clichés by tapping into the alternative trope of the badass loner, but in such a case destiny and your own acquired urges shall conspire to make and keep you a rootless loner and nomad.

What kind of isekai-style CotD predatory supernatural would you be?

For those who wonder, inspirations for the scenario include Saga of Tanya the Evil, In Another World With My Smartphone, Sword Art Online, High School DxD, and Yu Yu Hakusho.
    Last edited by Irioth; 10-26-2017, 10:46 PM.

That's pretty easy, werewolf. I'm a werewolf fan. And 100 Xp can go a long way in second edition. You can get to Primal Urge 10 with just 45, I think that's the same with vampires. It would cost 66 to get all possible Renown, too, after character creation so you're not too far off from that.

Comment

Not to come in an shit on a thread, but Changelings and Demons aren't exactly required to be predatory. They can be, but those lines are more geared towards being prey than being predator.

Also, while I don't quite understand why the splat must be "predatory", what about predatory/harmful sub-splats like the Tremere, Zeka, and Shuanksen?

Oh, and to be actually helpful, you could handle the harem/nakama angle with the coterie/pack/coven/etc. angle. Something like, "what sort of coterie/coven/pack/etc. would you run with?"

Also, preemptive mod note: If this thread devolves into "what would you do with a harem" it's gonna get shut down right quick. Be respectful please.

Onyx Path Moderator
      Mod Voice is RED*
      *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
      Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
        That's pretty easy, werewolf. I'm a werewolf fan. And 100 Xp can go a long way in second edition. You can get to Primal Urge 10 with just 45, I think that's the same with vampires. It would cost 66 to get all possible Renown, too, after character creation so you're not too far off from that.
        Well, an integral part of the scenario concept is to be reborn as an overpowered monster character, and various gamelines (e.g. Vampire, Beast) that suit it perfectly give 100 extra Xp as an upper.threshold option for more powerful, elder-like PC, so I think it fits. Admittedly I'm nowhere as familiar with Werewolf character creation as I am with Vampire, Beast, or Mage, but I suppose changing the rules too much for different splats would be awkward. Certain splats get summarily excluded as an option since they don't really suit the concept and/or too many people would pick them.

Comment

Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
          Not to come in an shit on a thread, but Changelings and Demons aren't exactly required to be predatory. They can be, but those lines are more geared towards being prey than being predator.
          I think for Changeling at least it comes from feeding on other peoples emotions and, at points, inspiring those emotions so you have more to harvest. I guess Demons would be considered predatory in their 'gathering' of souls for Cover?

Also, while I don't quite understand why the splat must be "predatory", what about predatory/harmful sub-splats like the Tremere, Zeka, and Shuanksen?
          I figured it was part of the trope, I'm not familiar with the genre, it seems like (some) LitRPG stuff, where you are reborn into a game. I only saw the first couple episodes of Tanya and Sword Art.

Here's hoping this doesn't count as replying to red text.

Originally posted by Irioth View Post
          Well, an integral part of the scenario concept is to be reborn as an overpowered monster character, and various gamelines (e.g. Vampire, Beast) that suit it perfectly give 100 extra Xp as an upper.threshold option for more powerful, elder-like PC, so I think it fits. Admittedly I'm nowhere as familiar with Werewolf character creation as I am with Vampire, Beast, or Mage, but I suppose changing the rules too much for different splats would be awkward. Certain splats get summarily excluded as an option since they don't really suit the concept and/or too many people would pick them.
          Oh it's fine, I wasn't complaining, just remarking. I don't think I could justify that much Renown in a newly created character without a lot of...I forget the term, but basically padding to the backstory that wouldn't fit the character I'd be. Years later and I'm still pleased at how second edition brought costs down.
          Last edited by nofather; 10-26-2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Irioth View Post
            It'd probably be more in theme to start at +0xp, but gain it at 10x the normal rate. Isekai characters don't generally start overpowered, but grow into it in record breaking time.

Onyx Path Moderator
            Mod Voice is RED*
            *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
            Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

Fair point on both counts, but I didn't wish to limit the scenario too much by restricting options to vampires and beasts. Would it work better if I would say most splats would be acceptable as long as one picks the sub-splat option that is predatory by nature like the ones you quotes, or acquires a compulsion to behave in a predatory manner suitable for the splat? Although hunters, Heroes, mortals, or lesser-splats are still right out.

As it concerns why the splat must be a predatory one, it is simply part of my inspiration for the concept: a combo of wishing to equalize the field between splats, adapting the isekai tropes to the much less lighthearted CofD setting, getting inspired by Saga of Tanya the Evil and other shows where the MC is a less-than-benevolent flawed antihero, and my favouritism for Beast.

Oh, and to be actually helpful, you could handle the harem/nakama angle with the coterie/pack/coven/etc. angle. Something like, "what sort of coterie/coven/pack/etc. would you run with?"
              Good point as well, although I may point out in all the isekai/"trapped in a virtual world" shows I can think of, the MC meets and develops their harem/nakama AFTER the beginning of the story. They may often be overpowered the moment they enter their new world, but they usually build up their party during the story. Although you are right there might be a way to add this notion to the scenario in CofD character-creation terms. Perhaps a "you need to buy at least a few Allies dots. They shall not be available to you at the beginning of your new story, but represent NPC characters belonging to some supernatural splat you shall meet and befriend or develop a romantic/sexual relationship with over time. They shall form your coterie/covenant/pack/family and your adventuring companions. What kind of party would you run with"?

Well, no problem whatsoever with me about keeping the scenario respectful as it concerns harem stuff. My golden standard about this particular trope in the genre is In Another World With My Smartphone and High School DxD where the MC and his battle harem soon end up forming a happy polyamorous family and nakama party where everybody deeply loves, cherishes, and respects everyone else and they'd give their lives for one-another.
              Last edited by Irioth; 10-26-2017, 07:26 PM.

Comment

It'd probably be more in theme to start at +0xp, but gain it at 10x the normal rate. Isekai characters don't generally start overpowered, but grow into it in record breaking time.
                Well, it depends. Some shows go this way, in others the MC is truly overpowered at least in potential from the moment they begin their new life. They may need to be shown how to do magic and stuff, but they show instant, overwhelming proficiency in it the moment they get basic instruction. Although I suppose the scenario might give both options for avatar-character creation, either get a lump sum of 100 extra Xp or a x10 Xp gaining rate to represent both variants.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                  I think for Changeling at least it comes from feeding on other peoples emotions and, at points, inspiring those emotions so you have more to harvest. I guess Demons would be considered predatory in their 'gathering' of souls for Cover?
                  More or less, yes.

I figured it was part of the trope, I'm not familiar with the genre, it seems like (some) LitRPG stuff, where you are reborn into a game. I only saw the first couple episodes of Tanya and Sword Art.
                  Isekai and 'trapped in a game' subgenres indeed show extensive similarities, especially if in the latter case the transition is an effectively permanent personality uploading and the MC does not have the option of eventually returning to the 'real' world or their 'real' body dying by neglect or old age. If you have seen Tanya you know where I picked a lot of the inspiration for making your new self some kind of supernatural predator, and the godlike being creating the scenario being a capricious bully. I think the CofD fits in nicely as a dark urban fantasy replacement for a magitek equivalent of WWI.

Comment

I edited the scenario to include suggested alternative options for available splats, Xp development, and nakama/harem tropes (except making you a pathetic wimp in love, since I loathe that cliché). I hope I got translation right of harem/nakama tropes in CofD terms.
                    Last edited by Irioth; 10-26-2017, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Tremere because normal mages and demons are out of the window and I enjoy being top dog.

Comment

Wait. I'm confused. How is this actually any different from a "What supernatural creature would you be?" be thread that just has the stipulation of "You don't get to say 'I stay human'?" OP or rapid power growth asides, this strikes me by and large as the same. is the question more about the sort of companions we'd want, or...what? What's the twist on the subject here?

*after a second's thought* Is it just that certain options become more open because you don't become them like you normally would, like "Changeling, but without the durance"?

I mean either way, still an Ugallu Nemesis.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                        Work Blog Coming Soon
                        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Beast (Makara Tyrant) or Mage. Being able to bring meta-game your own life brings a lot of power to Mage in particular, even if you are a soul sucking lich.
                          Last edited by Gallus; 10-27-2017, 03:00 PM.

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

I'd definitely go Tremere. Eating souls kinda sucks but you don't really need to do that that often, at least not at first. Regardless, I can freely choose my victims, so I can limit it to only taking the souls of people who more or less deserve it or the already dying. I'll probably go with the option of starting at 0xp with 10x growth rate and try to rush my way to Archmastery.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                              Wait. I'm confused. How is this actually any different from a "What supernatural creature would you be?" be thread that just has the stipulation of "You don't get to say 'I stay human'?" OP or rapid power growth asides, this strikes me by and large as the same. is the question more about the sort of companions we'd want, or...what? What's the twist on the subject here?

*after a second's thought* Is it just that certain options become more open because you don't become them like you normally would, like "Changeling, but without the durance"?

I mean either way, still an Ugallu Nemesis.
                              ​You have a bunch of meta-knowledge, are at the heart of a lot of important stories, and know of a godlike being that customized your power set for you

​Seeing as how CofD!isekai is likely to be a deconstruction and the being that gave me my new face is likely malevolent and simply wants to use me as a weapon im some political struggle, I'll go with Mastigos of the Silver Ladder and reinvent myself as Duke Leliel, the Prostrate Sage (what interests my first cabalmate is the fact that I join the Clavacularius-and promptly annoy them when I state the beggar in their favorite analogy is a stronger man than the king he kneels before, because he had the will and hope to truck through hell and lands purely for a chance for a man who has never suffered personal hardship in his youth will take pity on him and help without reward). That way, I'll notice when the knife is aimed at my back.

Comment

Working...
                              X