Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of isekai CofD supernatural predator would you be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, okay.

Still stand by the choice.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
    Work Blog Coming Soon
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Well, the fact the godlike being is limiting your reincarnation choices to some kind of predatory supernatural certainly suggests some kind of ulterior motive for their behavior and they are not simply doing it to give you some extra chance to (un)life. It might be building you up as a tool for some kind of divine political struggle or game, to make some kind of experiment out of you, or even for capricious fun. In a meta sense, I may point out that the actors that often create the reincarnation scenario for the MC in the isekai/virtual world genre do it for all kinds of reasons, ranging from bumbling benevolence (In Another World With My Smartphone, Konosuba), malevolent experiment (Tanya the Evil), wish to set up a game w/o regard for the consequences (Sword Art Online), using the MC as a tool to fix up the new world (No Game No Life), and so on. The fact you are allowed to customize and supercharge your power set and keep your outside-context knowledge of both worlds may fit with all of these motivations.The encouragement to embrace nakama/harem tropes (or alternatively the badass loner ones) may comply with most of these motivations.

Comment

Originally posted by Irioth View Post
        Well, the fact the godlike being is limiting your reincarnation choices to some kind of predatory supernatural certainly suggests some kind of ulterior motive for their behavior and they are not simply doing it to give you some extra chance to (un)life. It might be building you up as a tool for some kind of divine political struggle or game, to make some kind of experiment out of you, or even for capricious fun. In a meta sense, I may point out that the actors that often create the reincarnation scenario for the MC in the isekai/virtual world genre do it for all kinds of reasons, ranging from bumbling benevolence (In Another World With My Smartphone, Konosuba), malevolent experiment (Tanya the Evil), wish to set up a game w/o regard for the consequences (Sword Art Online), using the MC as a tool to fix up the new world (No Game No Life), and so on. The fact you are allowed to customize and supercharge your power set and keep your outside-context knowledge of both worlds may fit with all of these motivations.The encouragement to embrace nakama/harem tropes (or alternatively the badass loner ones) may comply with most of these motivations.

Wait, predatory is required, then?

Yeah, changing my choice to a Darkling of the Autumn Court, which is also known as "letter rather than spirit"-it's highly likely I will have to scare or bully someone to get Glamour juice.

Assuming I can't point out that I am preying on people simply by using Mind magic-technically. After all, Mastigos power revolves around influence and forced compliance to the caster, so that's a form of "predatory". Not a temptation I hope I succumb to, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

Yeah, changing my choice to a Darkling of the Autumn Court, which is also known as "letter rather than spirit"-it's highly likely I will have to scare or bully someone to get Glamour juice.

Assuming I can't point out that I am preying on people simply by using Mind magic-technically. After all, Mastigos power revolves around influence and forced compliance to the caster, so that's a form of "predatory". Not a temptation I hope I succumb to, but still.

I dunno about Changeling. Nothing says that you can't get forgo the bonus Glamour from Fear and just get all your glamour from other emotions, Goblin Fruit and dreams. Unlike, say, a vampire who will never find a way to fuel their powers without drinking blood.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

Yep. I struggled more than a little to translate the 'predatory supernatural' concept in CofD character creation rules. This is how I currently define it:

1) predatory splats by nature (vampires and beast): always allowed
            2) non-predatory splats by nature, but may have sub-splats that are predatory by nature (mages, prometheans, mummies): normally not allowed, but the sub-splats are an acceptable choice
            3) splats that may feed a Beast through Family Dinner in the right circumstances (changelings, werewolves): allowed, but they get a compulsion to act in a manner that would fulfill Family Dinner as much as 1) or 2).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

I dunno about Changeling. Nothing says that you can't get forgo the bonus Glamour from Fear and just get all your glamour from other emotions, Goblin Fruit and dreams. Unlike, say, a vampire who will never find a way to fuel their powers without drinking blood.

For Changeling the deal is: you may pick being one, but you get a compulsion to have a lifestyle that makes you as much of a predator as a vampire or beast. This more or less means reaping most of your Glamour from 'dark' emotions such as fear, lust, anger, sorrow, or despair, or nightmares.

Comment

Unlike, say, a vampire who will never find a way to fuel their powers without drinking blood.
                Technically there's an option for them, too, in breath-drinking.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

Technically there's an option for them, too, in breath-drinking.
                  My mistake, should have said draining life-force or something

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

My mistake, should have said draining life-force or something
                    I was more related to the predatory thing. At first you still have to feed directly off people, but once you get it to 5 you can basically just sit in a room with people and drain them, or walk down a crowded street and take in the life as you walk. It's much more like suspension feeding than hunting.

Just one of those quirky things vampires have available to them.

Comment

I vaguely remember rules for VtR breath-drinking being given as an option in some 1st ed. supplement or another, but I have no idea if they have been updated for 2nd ed. or not.

Comment

Yeah, Mythologies had breath-drinking and liver eating. Liver eating, I think, required an actual fresh human liver so would probably still count as requiring predatory methods. I doubt it's been updated officially, though there's probably a homebrew.

Comment

Going a different direction than everyone else:

A Body Thief with 100xp worth of Supernatural merits. Especially if I get to play some hypothetical 2e version.

We're playing Fallen today, friends. With a side of The Thing.

Now, who do I want to be today...

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Being the most true to myself, I'd probably go with an Anakim Nemesis. Horror would be something draconic, possibly the Zmey Gorynych. I've always wanted super strength and fire breathing, and being able to satisfy my urge by going after bullies and abusers of power would be pretty damn cathartic. Alternatively, going vampire would probably result in me just saying "fuck it" and throwing Humanity to the wind...

While I normally hate delayed gratification, taking a flat 100 xp over 10x xp gain forever is a fool's bargain.

Comment

At 10x xp gain, are we getting 10 xp/5 beats? Or 2 xp/1 beat? Either way that's functionally 2-4 xp/day with little effort.

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

Working...
                              X