Anonymity for supernaturals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anonymity for supernaturals

I'm curious to hear your opinion about the usefulness of Anonymity for supernaturals. It seems to me it might be rather useful for those supernatural splats that may often face investigation in their affairs or attempts to track them by enemies with mundane means, such as vampires, mages, beasts, and demons. I'm also wondering about possible synergy with other 'hiding' Traits, such as Occultation, Shadow Name, Spoor, or Cover.
    Last edited by Irioth; 11-04-2017, 08:57 AM.

It depends a lot on the individual, even for those splats. Anonymity isn't really a requirement on CoD. People don't believe in the supernatural far more because they don't want to than anything else. A supernatural being can find it useful to keep a low profile, but can also find other ways to live, be it by isolation, intimidation, or creating a cult or other parasitic or symbiotic relation with the locals.

That said, other "hiding" traits can depend upon anonymity more than benefit it. A Shadow Name, as an example, is something a Mage uses to not have to dangerously share real names with other Mages. If you don't keep anonymity, it is easier to other Mages to find your real name. That said, if you don't really care about that, you don't have as many reasons to keep anonymity as other Mages would.

Sorry if I seem too straightforward, or if I don't get you. Autism isn't a forgiving condition.

Comment

Originally posted by monteparnas View Post
      It depends a lot on the individual, even for those splats. Anonymity isn't really a requirement on CoD. People don't believe in the supernatural far more because they don't want to than anything else. A supernatural being can find it useful to keep a low profile, but can also find other ways to live, be it by isolation, intimidation, or creating a cult or other parasitic or symbiotic relation with the locals.
      Well, I was not really thinking of supernaturals using Anonymity to disguise themselves from random mundane detection, since as you point out CofD background conditions already do it adequately with little effort from PCs. I was more focused on using the Merit's effects to protect oneself from the purposeful efforts of enemies that have social influence (e.g. the Seers for mages, Kindred rivals for vampires) or may use mundane investigation to track the characters (e.g. Heroes for beasts, hunters for pretty much any supernatural).

That said, other "hiding" traits can depend upon anonymity more than benefit it. A Shadow Name, as an example, is something a Mage uses to not have to dangerously share real names with other Mages. If you don't keep anonymity, it is easier to other Mages to find your real name. That said, if you don't really care about that, you don't have as many reasons to keep anonymity as other Mages would.
      On the other hand, Anonymity and the other 'hiding' traits of the various supernatural splats are not a prerequisite for each other, which seems to suggest they may independently and their effects may stack and synergize.
      Last edited by Irioth; 11-04-2017, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Anonymity can be very useful as long as you don't need to interact with anything official like being employed, owning a home or business or having a driving license.

Comment

Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
          Anonymity can be very useful as long as you don't need to interact with anything official like being employed, owning a home or business or having a driving license.
          Anonymity sure has its practical drawbacks, but I assume supernaturals can typically cope with it more or less the same way fugitives, members of organized crime, and illegal immigrants do, and supernatural powers provide many more effective options to do so. Most supernaturals have to keep a Masquerade of some sort, off-the-grid lifestyle is not that different. Of course, it is not the best choice if a supernatural wants to keep an extensive power base and wealth, unless the character resorts to manage their Social Merits the way gangsters typically do.

Comment

Working...
          X