[New Horror] The Forest King

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [New Horror] The Forest King

Once upon a time, a boy dared to enter the forest at night to spite his parents. He brought with himself a hunting knife, flint and steel, and food and water. He planned to stay there for a night, and left as silent a mouse. But along the way, he got lost. The cold was worse than he thought, and it started to rain, so he could not make a fire. He began to feel hungry, but saw that his food had been eaten by wild beasts. And so he went to hunt, shivering, afraid and alone.

Never in his life did the boy regret a decision so much. Try as he might, the animals always stayed just out of sight, only flickering by in the shadows to scare him even more. There were many eyes upon him, he could feel that in his bones. He sat down beneath a tree, sad, wet and hungry, and tried to sleep it away. That was when an unearthly scream from no human or animal throat startled him back to awareness, and he saw that the trees around him were covered in huge claw marks. By itself this was bad enough, but the truly terrifying visage was a huge tree that was not there before, with a face of a snarling wolf in its bark staring at him. The boy did not think twice, and ran in the other direction, dropping his flint and steel.

He ran and ran until his legs could not handle it anymore, but the forest had become like a maze. He collapsed near a river, and since he was dying of thirst, drank the water despite the risks. Before his eyes the water turned to blood and cracked skulls rose up from the depths. The boy retched and heaved with disgust and shock, and started to pray for forgiveness and for his life. After what felt like an eternity, he heard a conversation from beyond the river. Filled with hope, he crossed the water and sneaked around to see who it might be.

His hopes were crushed, for they were no men. They were monsters. A horned and masked giant clad in leather and tattoos spoke in a sibilant whisper with wolves the size of bears and phantoms shaped from the very elements. The wolves growled and the phantoms hissed, seeking each other's end. When they came to blows, the giant raised his hand with a thunderous shout, making wolves grow quiet and the phantoms grow still. The boy remembered legends about this giant, and how he could not harm those who respected the forest. So far, he had been a petulant invader, so he did the only thing he could think of.

With his whole body in agony, he went to the monsters and kneeled, offering his hunting knife as a token of regret. The giant spoke to the boy in mortal language, and said that if he wanted to go back home, he would have to earn it. And so for three months, three weeks and three days the boy was forced to train in the art of the hunt by the giant and the other monsters. He was not given any mercy, but not shown cruelty either. He killed a boar, shot down a bird from the sky with a bow and even defeated the giant in a challenge of wits and might. When the time came for the boy to return, he hugged his parents like never before and shared the wisdom of his encounter with the Forest King with the people of his village, and they never disrespected nature again.

Virtue: Cunning/Noble
    Vice: Savage
    Aspirations: To Enjoy And Share Simple Pleasures, Protect The Forest, Hunt Worthy Prey

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 8, Resolve 6
    Physical Attributes: Strength 9, Dexterity 5, Stamina 9
    Social Attributes: Presence 7, Manipulation 3, Composure 7

Skills: Academics (Folklore) 1, Crafts (Traps) 2, Investigation 1, Medicine (Traditional Methods) 2, Occult (Spirits) 3, Athletics (Chasing, Archery) 3, Brawl (Natural Weaponry) 2, Stealth (Stalking) 4, Survival (Tracking) 4, Weaponry (Spear) 2, Animal Ken 2, Empathy (Intentions) 2, Expression (Wisdom, Storytelling) 3, Intimidation (Primal) 4, Persuasion (Diplomacy) 3, Subterfuge (Elusive) 2

Merits: Area Of Expertise 1 (Primal), Direction Sense 1 (Advanced 2), Holistic Awareness 1, Interdisciplinary Specialty 1 (Primal), Virtuous 2, Greyhound 1, Iron Will 2, Table Turner 1, Untouchable 1, Killer Instinct 3 (Advanced 3)

Willpower: 22
    Defense: 8
    Initiative: 12
    Speed: 24
    Health: 17 (Size 8)
    Potency: 9

Weapons/Attacks
    Natural Weaponry [Melee, 17 dice,+2L]
    Huge Bow [Ranged, 60/120/240 Yards, 14 Dice, +2L]
    Boar Killing Spear [Melee Or Thrown, 17 Dice, +3L, +1 Defense]
    Psychokinesis (Plants) [Wits + Survival + Primal + Advanced, 19 Dice, +2L]

Ban: Must always give a sporting chance to its prey
    Ban: Must always mark its territory
    Ban: Cannot harm those who respect the forest
    Ban: Must wear a trait indicating his true nature when using Mortal Mask
    Bane: An axe or other cutting tool used to bring down a tree that is over 1000 years old

Dread Powers: Beastmaster, Chameleon Horror (Invisible Horror), Gatecrash (Shadow), Home Ground (Forest), Influence (Retribution 1), Madness And Terror, Maze, Numen (Banshee Wail, Binding Vow, Hallucination, Mortal Mask, Occult Sight, Weather Control [Heavy Rain]), Regenerate 1, Psychic Talent x 2 (Forestwalker 3*, Omen Sensitivity 3, Psychokinesis 5/Advanced 5/Epic 2 [Plants]), Price Of Power x 5

Banshee Wail:The entity creates an earsplitting scream that deafens anyone nearby. Anyone within 20 yards of the entity must succeed on a Resolve + Stamina roll – the number of successes gained or suffer the Stunned and Deafened Tilt. The Numen costs one Essence to activate.

Binding Vow: This Numen is frequently possessed by conceptual spirits like those of law and order. Some of these entities may be willing to accept words freely spoken while under duress, while others may not. An entity with the Numen may spend Essence to perform Sealings like a Changeling. If it wishes to reinforce a Seal, it may spend a Willpower point to do so.

Forestwalker: As per the Citywalker Supernatural Merit, but uses Wits + Survival + Primal (14 Dice) instead of Resolve + Streetwise.

Gatecrash: A Horror with this Dread Power can open a gateway to other planes of existence (such as the Hedge, Primordial Dream, Shadow, Underworld or Astral Realms). The Horror spends a point of Willpower and makes an appropriate dice pool roll; if successful a gateway into the destination realm opens. The creature can hold the gate open for a number of turns equal to its Potency. Gatecrash can only open a gate to a specific realm, but may be selected multiple times, each time applying to specific Realm.

Invisible Horror (Prerequisite -Chameleon Horror): The Horror becomes wholly invisible. The penalty the Horror imposes upon attempts to perceive it granted by Chameleon Horror becomes -6 in all circumstances. Supernatural perceptions can pierce this Invisibility, invoking a Clash of Wills against the Horrors Composure + Potency to negate the penalty imposed by this Dread Power until the end of the scene. In addition, the Horror receives Rote Quality on Stealth rolls, and may make Stealth rolls even when moving at full Speed. In most cases Invisibility is a permanent aspect of the creature, but some can control when they are visible. In the latter case, altering its visibility for a scene costs the Horror one point of Willpower. The creature’s Invisibility imposes a Ban - which is always condition where it does not apply (such as infrared light or when observed by children).

Occult Sight: The entity is sensitive to supernatural phenomena. It notices the active use of supernatural abilities within the range of its senses and may make Perception rolls to approximate their distance and direction. In addition, by spending a point of Willpower, it can see through powers of concealment, illusion and deceit with a Clash Of Wills using his Wits + Potency as its dice pool. Lastly, it always knows when it is being targeted by a supernatural power and may mimic the Aura Reading Supernatural Merit, but without drawback.

Psychic Talent: Creatures with this dread power are endowed with great powers of the mind. Each dot in this Dread Power grants a creature a number of Merit dots equal to its Potency. These Merit dots may be used to purchase Supernatural Merits.

Weather Control: Typically possessed by entities of Rank 3+, this Numen allows the entity to summon a brief but powerful weather storm. The Numen costs 3 Essence to activate. If successful, the entity may impose an Environmental Tilt over an area with a radius of up to [Power x 100] yards until the end of the scene. This area is treated as an Intensity 2 Extreme Environment. An exceptional success creates an Intensity 3 Extreme Environment instead. The entity may use their Influence to further augment the weather storm’s size, duration and Intensity (where appropriate). This Numen only creates one type of Environmental Tilt, but may be purchased multiple times.

Price Of Power: By taking on an additional Ban or Bane, an entity can increase its repertoire of abilities. Each additional Ban or Bane can give it one of the following.

* Two Numina, Influence dots, or Manifestations.
    * An increase of its maximum Essence pool by 5.
    * A Dread Power.

An entity may take this Numina a number of times equal to its Rank.

Note: For the Invisible Horror Dread Power, the Forest King is visible to those who respect the forest. He is also capable of seeing into and interacting with the Spirit frequency of Twilight, has an honorary Rank of 4 for Spirits, can speak the First Tongue and his attacks are considered supernatural.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 11-14-2017, 11:41 AM.

"I hope you will have a long and happy life, if only so you can realize how stupid and wrong you are."

Interesting. I’ll be using this thing in my own games!

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
      Interesting. I’ll be using this thing in my own games!
      You have no idea how happy that makes me. Feel free to alter his stats for the purposes of your game. Also, could you please send me a private message after you use him to tell me how it went?

"I hope you will have a long and happy life, if only so you can realize how stupid and wrong you are."

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
        You have no idea how happy that makes me. Feel free to alter his stats for the purposes of your game. Also, could you please send me a private message after you use him to tell me how it went?
        No problem!

I’ve got a Beast game set in Japan, and this Forest King will be excellent for Japan’s much-vaunted ‘suicide forest’.

Comment

I changed the flavor text to be more fairy tale-like and flow more naturally.

Comment

I changed the flavor text to be more fairy tale-like and flow more naturally.
            I dig it! Very Beast-like, actually, yet also very appropriate for Changeling!

Comment

Why is his Animal Ken so low?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                Why is his Animal Ken so low?
                It was a calculated decision. He is also supposed to be a diplomat as hinted in the flavor text, and he is more likely to roll for Diplomacy than Training Animals during play. Besides, with his Primal Area Of Expertise + Interdisciplinary Specialty, he has an effective Animal Ken of 3, plus a Presence of 5 for a Training Animals dice pool of 8, and that is before he uses Equipment like food for the animals and such.

Comment

It was a calculated decision. He is also supposed to be a diplomat as hinted in the flavor text, and he is more likely to roll for Diplomacy than Training Animals during play. Besides, with his Primal Area Of Expertise + Interdisciplinary Specialty, he has an effective Animal Ken of 3, plus a Presence of 5 for a Training Animals dice pool of 8, and that is before he uses Equipment like food for the animals and such.
                  Gotcha, that seems reasonable. He's just naturally good with animals instead of being trained in training them

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

I barely get on the forums now due to work, but I am very impressed by this Horror.
                    XD
                    Nicely done, man! I really liked how you adapted Binding Vow and Price of Power to make him very formidable. Admittedly, I never thought what would happen if the latter was taken by a Horror for a Numen.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                    X