Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To portray actions longer than a scene?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To portray actions longer than a scene?

Hi there all, long time fan of CofD, but never participated in a game. Because of that, there are some aspects that I haven't been able to really wrap my head around. The biggest ones are extended actions and doors-how do you portray them in-game? By extended actions, I mean ones that can go on for days or even weeks, the same goes for doors. I just can't figure out in my head how to connect dice rolls at the table to activities that can stretch out over significant in-game time, can anyone out there enlighten me?

Generally speaking these kinds of actions are handled by downtime - you don't have to run your sessions in real time. So if someone is spending x amount of time trying to open Doors in SM, they simply describe the steps they take day by day or week by week, eg.

'I take him our to a nice dinner on Saturday night so we can discuss our interests. I casually mention the project I'm working on to see if he bites.' -> Roll
    'The next Monday, I arrange a meet up so we can talk about the specs -> Roll
    I give him a call that Wednesday night after finishing with his proposed changes, to see if we're okay to proceed with production -> Roll.

The other players can chip in on how they choose to spend the downtime, providing narrative justification for certain merits, or taking on their own extended actions (research, crafting, etc).

Comment

Thanks, that really helps.

Comment

If such actions are handled in game, do a montage.

Comment

Interesting problem is when you need to break those long actions with other activities - like character is trying. I don't know - take over the cities higher-ups and rest of gang need to run from the police, for example. You know, one player have 'master plan' that can take weeks, but rest of the group needs to do action NOW. I think that best is simply makes 'master plan' to be written on separate note sheets - like 'Date XX.YY.ZZZZ - Vance take out 3 Doors of the Mayor, 2 to go for Master Plan TM' - and roll with much instant scene of rest group. Those complex manipulations, in the end, will come to effect later in chronicle.

And remember you can also change any Social Maneuvering into one much harder instant roll of Forcing the Doors - you just risk you will not be able to make another attempt on this particular NPC, it's 'all or nothing' action then. Better is too grind slowly NPC with normal take, but sometimes you just need things now.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
          My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

"Taking over a city's elected officials" is more involved than a generic extended action, it'd warrant a story, or even a chronicle. There's a reason Kindred never ghoul/blood-bind the mayor, but a trusted advisor instead, but by all means, work of gathering those allies and contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post
              "Taking over a city's elected officials" is more involved than a generic extended action, it'd warrant a story, or even a chronicle. There's a reason Kindred never ghoul/blood-bind the mayor, but a trusted advisor instead, but by all means, work of gathering those allies and contacts.
              Okay, split it into couple 'Taking over councilman X' actions - even each one of them would take at least VERY BIG Social Maneuvering, repeated for each one of councilman in city.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
              My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post
                If such actions are handled in game, do a montage.
                ...I had to!

Comment

These are all really useful pieces of advice, thank you all.

Comment

Working...
                  X