Mystic Eyes of Death Perception

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystic Eyes of Death Perception

I've made a lot of content for Chronicles of Darkness games and I have finally decided to post it to the forums. So, here is a supernatural merit:

Mystic Eyes of Death Perception (5): By spending a point of Willpower, your character can see the death inherit in everything in the form of lines. This allows them to attack those lines, causing all non-crushing melee attacks to do aggravated damage. However, this power is costly and deals 1 point of bashing damage every turn it is active.
    The Mystic Eyes also allow the user to attack beings in the shadow when active with their normal effects. Anything killed by cutting the lines is annihilated completely. They cannot become a ghost, be resurrected, or exist in any form after their death.
    There can only be 1 person with the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception from a universe at any given time. So, while Mystic Eye users may meet each other if they travel to other universes or travel through time, there will never be 2 Mystic Eye users from a universe from the same time.

This feels like it should be a full minor template, not just a Merit.

Comment

Yeah, it probably would be better as a minor template, due to the variations of the Mystic Eyes. I mainly made it into a merit because it was one of the earlier things I created and I wasn't creating minor templates at the time.

Comment

Yeah as a merit, it's insanely overpowered with no real drawback and a quite a heavy unique snowflake feel to it. It does things that's all over the board and is straight up better then most high level major splat powers.

Comment

Alright, here it is as a minor template:

Base Merits:
          Mystic Eyes of Death Perception (5):
          This merit allows your character to see the death inherit in everything. When active, it causes the character to do aggravated damage with all non-crushing melee attacks.
          Drawback: This power cannot be turned off and every turn that it is activated, it does 1 point of bashing damage to the character in the form of splitting headaches.

Suppressing Glasses (3):
          These glasses allow the possessor of the Mystic Eyes to effectively turn off their ability by wearing them.
          Drawback: The character's abilities may overclock if they are stressed. Should the character gain the Deprived, Shaken, or Spooked conditions or the Insane tilt, the glasses will not shut off the Mystic Eyes.

Comment

Other Merits:

Shadow Perception (5): You can perceive and attack creatures in the Shadow with your Mystic Eyes.
            Drawback: Your character may see things they shouldn't. Once per game session, when the Mystic Eyes are activated, the Storyteller may impose a Resolve+Composure roll upon the character, as they have seen something truly disturbing. If they fail the roll, they gain the Shaken or Spooked condition.

Superior Training (5): The character has been trained in the use of their Mystic Eyes. Their eyes are normally shut down and a point of Willpower can be spent to activate them.

Annihilation (5): Anything killed by cutting the lines seen with the Mystic Eyes is completely annihilated. They no longer exist and nothing can bring them back, even as a ghost.

Counterspell (4): Your character can attack spells with their Mystic Eyes. The character can cancel out certain spells and supernatural merits by rolling the same amount of successes in attacks and the caster rolled to create the effect. However, this can only be done on abilities that have long-term effects on the world. For example, the Mystic Eyes would not be able to dispel a fireball or a telekinetic attack but they would be able to dispel a ward or a mind-reading effect on someone.

Comment

Acquisition: In order the acquire the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, the character needs to undergo a near-death experience. If they actually undergo heart death, it is even more likely. This death causes them to go into a coma lasting anywhere from weeks to months. It also causes them to lose a point of Integrity. Once the coma ends, they will have the Mystic Eyes but will not have a way to control them. As a result, most of the Mystic Eye holders die during or after the coma. The ones that survive are typically ones that encounter someone with the ability to create Suppressing Glasses and/or the ability to give them training early on. This person is typically a mage of some sort, though demons, angels, powerful spirits, and others can do this as well.

Comment

The Mystic Eyes of Death Perception should be a lot less overpowered now. They are still a bit overpowered, but nothing compared to what they were in the source material or in my merit write-up.

Comment

If they are still too overpowered, please let me know so I can alter it again.

Comment

Originally posted by xela_nut View Post
                    If they are still too overpowered, please let me know so I can alter it again.

It seems you're basing this on something ( a anime/manga by my google-fu) that I'm not experienced with at all. So I can't really help you get in the right feel for this, but I can say that I don't think any power so far for mortals allows you to deal more then 1 point of agg damage, however that's the last thing in some fighting styles. Doing agg is, and should be hard to do in 2ed.

If you want this to be able against supernatural things, i would perhaps go with a Base merit that allows you to spend a willpower and make a successful Resolve+Occult check and "bless" your weapon to count as a Bane against Supernatural creatures (not only ehemerals) for a number of attacks equal to successes with a drawback. I wouldn't give bashing damage, it's only meaningful in combat and usually hand-waved away between scenes. Instead perhaps a version of the Distracted Condition, but with a resolution to fail because of those -2 penalties. If you want some cool sunglasses to suppress the distraction, maybe go with an added "with a special kind of occult glasses these penalties are suppressed while wearing them, but so is every power relating to the mystical eyes, and for 5 turns - resolve (min 1) the penalty doubles after removing them"

Personally i think this still is a bit op, maybe letting it deal Lethal damage, or normal damage + count as touching a bane I.e 1 Agg for ephemerals.

Guess that could be the base kit for the template. It might be a cost associated with it and the following examples but what cost I don't really know.

About the Shadow, are you sure you mean in the Shadow, across the Gauntlet and not in Twilight?
                    Either way for now I give a take on the Shadow Perception power you talked about above.

Shadow Perception (some cost-merit)
                    Allows you to perceive and interact across the Gauntlet, as a reflexive action you can loose (one or more) sense(s) from the normal world and perceive the Shadow by a successful wits+occult roll - The Gauntlet Strength. With a point of Willpower you can interact with the Shadow, reaching across the Gauntlet for the rest of the scene, however you can only interact with things you can perceive in the Shadow and all rolls to affect it is penalized by the Gauntlet Strength.
                    Drawback: when your perception is in the Shadow, you're senseless to the real world around you, gaining the Blind/Deaf/etc. tilts in combat. Also once per session the ST can impose a suitable Condition if you fail a Resolve + Composure roll.

Annihilation (some cost merit)
                    Your enemies rest in peace, slain by a weapon 'blessed' by the Mystic Eyes of Death leaves no ghost behind. Any attempt by a supernatural power to resurrect a slain person must win in a Clash of Will against the character in which the character rolls Resolve+Compuse+Integrity modifier.

Counterspell (some cost merit)
                    With a point of Willpower, the character can attempt to cancel out certain spells and supernatural effects by winning a contested action in which the character rolls Resolve+Composure +(integrity modifier) Vs the original roll. This can only break spells and abilities with ongoing effects not instant ones.
                    Last edited by Poseur; 03-11-2018, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Thank you so much. Yes, I meant Twilight and not the Shadow.

So, this is mainly a combat ability, which is why I gave it bashing damage for its use. But you're right that bashing damage for use isn't very good outside of combat. Since its supposed to give you headaches, the damage isn't really permanent, so bashing damage could still be used in combat as its cost. However, I wan't all that satisfied with bashing damage as I realized that it wouldn't make the headaches as distracting as they should be.

The intention of the base merits was to make it the basis of a minor supernatural template, but I'm still trying to figure out how to make good supernatural templates. In addition, the high merit cost was supposed to balance out the aggravated damage a little bit, but thanks to your input I think I know how to balance it better. So I'm going to actually make 3 variations of the previous base merit. The first one is more powerful but with greater costs. The second one is less powerful but with less costs. And the third one will be a lot closer to a standard Chronicles of Darkness merit. Hopefully at least one of these will be balanced.

Your suggestion to put in a downside for the glasses is a very good one and the downside that certain tilts may cause the Mystic Eyes to activate on their own wasn't quite good enough for a merit this powerful.

Mystic Eyes of Death Perception 1 (5): This merit allows the character to do aggravated damage with cutting melee weapons.
                      Drawback: Each turn in combat or minute out of combat, roll Resolve+Composure. If you fail, gain the Distracted condition. There is a penalty for the Resolve+Composure roll equal to the number of turns spent in combat. Also, every turn in combat take 1 point of bashing damage. This ability cannot be turned off.

Mystic Eyes of Death Perception 2 (5): This merit allows the character to make a Resolve+Occult roll to strike at the lines where the death inherit in everything lies. This attack does lethal damage but acts as a bane to supernatural creatures, doing 1 aggravated damage in addition to the lethal damage. For mortals, the extra damage is lethal and not aggravated. This merit requires a cutting melee weapon to be used
                      Drawback: Each turn in combat or minute out of combat, roll Resolve+Composure. If you fail, gain the Distracted condition. The Resolve+Composure roll has a penalty equal to the number of turns spent in combat.

Mystic Eyes of Death Perception 3 (5): Spend a point of Willpower to activate the Mystic Eyes. Once active, roll Resolve+Composure. This blesses a non-crushing melee weapon for a number of turns equal to the roll. The weapon counts as a bane against supernatural creatures for the duration of the effect.
                      Drawback: Each turn the Mystic Eyes are active, roll Resolve+Composure with a penalty equal to the number of turns it has been active. A failure gives the character the Distracted condition.

Suppressing Glasses (For Mystic Eyes 1)(3): These glasses suppress both the penalties for Mystic Eyes and any powers related to them.
                      Drawback: Taking off the glasses gives the character information overload, doubling the penalties for 5-Resolve (minimum 1) turns after removing them. Also, the Mystic Eyes may overload the senses under certain conditions even with the glasses. Should the character gain the Deprived, Shaken, or Spooked conditions or the Insane tilt, the Mystic Eyes will activate on their own.

Suppressing Glasses (For Mystic Eyes 2)(3): These glasses suppress both the penalties for Mystic Eyes and any powers related to them.
                      Drawback: Taking off the glasses gives the character information overload, doubling the penalties for 5-Resolve (minimum 1) turns after removing them.

The third Mystic Eyes merit doesn't require glasses as it has to be activated.

Now, the Shadow Perception merit was supposed to be Twilight Perception but I miss-wrote it. I'm not certain if its necessary for the last two Mystic Eyes, as they already count as banes to supernatural creatures. It may be necessary for the first one, though.

For the Annihilation ability, your version is definitely better for balancing. However, in terms of getting the right feel, it isn't really right. Simply put, the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception is a very dangerous and somewhat evil ability. Simply put, there are 2 major characters who have the Mystic Eyes. One of them is neutral at best but could be better described as lawful evil. The other one...has issues.

As for the Counterspell ability, I honestly think you have it pretty much perfect. It should only be usable when the Mystic eyes are active for the third Mystic Eyes merit I have here. I would say that it should cost 3 or 4 points.

Thank you very much for your time and input. It is very helpful for me.

Comment

Also, please let me know what you think of these new merits.

Comment

Originally posted by Poseur View Post

It seems you're basing this on something ( a anime/manga by my google-fu) that I'm not experienced with at all. So I can't really help you get in the right feel for this, but I can say that I don't think any power so far for mortals allows you to deal more then 1 point of agg damage, however that's the last thing in some fighting styles. Doing agg is, and should be hard to do in 2ed.
                          There is always explosives that mortals have access to, which deal agg under Hurt Locker rules.

Given I am actually familiar with the source material, the easiest way would to do this would to just accept that these are and will always be OP by CoD rules :P. "Power: Kill anything" is always going to be overpowered in a setting where things don't like to be killed. I always thought the concept would work well as a 5 dot 2E Mage spell, one of the "Save or Die" ones. If you are still looking to balance them, the 2E Hunter playtest had a "Build-an-Endowment" system that might work well for what you are trying to do (balance wise), and has a prerequisite system that might work well with the concept. It should still be under the hunter thread somewhere, if you want to check that out.

--Slight edit--
                          The 2E Opendev Revised Endowments goes into a bit more detail then the playtest did, might want to start there instead. The playtest does have a couple more examples though.
                          Last edited by Ruger; 03-11-2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Another suggestion is to build up from the Killer Instinct Merit (was this the right name?) and its Advanced version from Beast 2E core. A Style Merit, or a full-blown Supernatural Merit Template built up from those sound reasonable.

Or, since the Eyes are basically a Death Making spell effect, you could go with a very odd Proximus with one Blessing that does that (which still breaks standard rules for Proximi).

(Short on time so couldn’t read all you wrote already, sorry)

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by xela_nut View Post
                              Thank you so much. Yes, I meant Twilight and not the Shadow.

Text...

Thank you very much for your time and input. It is very helpful for me.

You're welcome.

Some small things. I'd go with Scene outside of combat instead of minutes. Or if it minutes, just go with a "you'll get Distracted after 10-resolve+composure minutes, because with that many unnecessary rolls, they'll fail eventually.
                              For the 2nd merit, I'd still go with that the aggravated still applies to mortals, if it's just one more it's still a pretty good upgrade, and all weapons already deal lethal to mortals.
                              Turning it into three separate merits might be a good idea, giving some development to the characters powers and balancing them out a bit. However I do actually think it's a pretty steep cost. Sure the power themselves are pretty strong, but maybe not worth the cost. However that's just from my perspective, playstyles differ.
                              I would still bake the glasses thing in to the original merits, maybe crafting them is a Int+Occult roll or something but if you want them as a stand alone merit, I would at least lower the cost to a 1-2 dot merit, allowing the higher one work for the level 2-3 mystic eyes.
                              I kinda guessed you meant Twilight, just change the wording a bit, and get rid of the things about Gauntlet strength. Just give the ability to see things in twilight.
                              Well if you're actually playing in another setting then CofD or just want to amp up the right feel, just go with whatever you feels best for these abilities or anything else in the game for that matter, Annihilation included of course =)

Comment

Working...
                              X