Awakening Kindred, Devoured Werewolves, and other Hybrids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awakening Kindred, Devoured Werewolves, and other Hybrids

I gotta admit, I like the concept of mixing splats up to make something strange and new. The Admontoria were something I throughly enjoyed, and I think concepts like the Crone/Wyrm Mage/Beast Hybrids are fun and make for an excellent addition to a game, especially if you have a troupe that's well-versed in the ChroD. This is why I thought it might be nice to dedicate a thread to gathering ideas, potentially working a select few out some more =)
    If nothing else, working this stuff out gives me a deeper appreciation of the different games' themes and moods.
    Of course, one should look to Hybrids not going the Samuel Haight-route - rather than Munchkining, the result should be thematically intriguing and suitable for play in some way.
    I hope to find some inspiration in your ideas, and hope that some of my write-ups will likewise cause someone's wheels to start turning.

Something I thought might be fun: Kindred/Begotten
    Rather than a human, a Vampire is plagued by recurring Nightmares, and when the Horror tries to Devour the willing Kindred, their very own Beast rears its head in greeting. However, the vampiric Soul is quite dissimilar from a human's - stronger in some ways, weaker in others. As a result, the Devouring is imperfect, and rather than a common Beast, the result is something different: an incarnation of vampiric fears inhabiting an undead body. A Nightmare of the Burning Sun, Eternal Hunger or Endless Servitude, rather than a Nightmare of Powerlessness, Darkness, Repulsion etc.
    In the wake of their Horror
    These Scourges Feed on Kindred rather than humans (although Low-integrity humans qualify as meals, too) and teach Lessons of Loss and Humanity, to forever remind their undead Kin that they are glorified parasites who have lost so much more than they gained.
    A Scourge can mechanically be treated like Vampire, except for the following points:
    - they have access to a Lair and Lair traits, but do not gain immunity to traits other than the ones they themselves inflict upon the world (a Scourge with Burning WILL burn like any other Kindred in a burning building, but is immune to the flames they call down in a dark room). In addition, the Blazing Sun Lair Trait is no longer available. They can only open Primordial Pathways to a Chamber they have claimed, or it's physical location.
    - furthermore, they have access to one Family's Atavisms (chosen at creation), but lose access to any and all in-Clan or Bloodline-restricted Disciplines.
    - their Blood tastes kind of bland - to other Kindred, they are clan-less. Due to that, they do not have a clan-specific Weakness. Instead, Heroes may place Anathema on them when they are Sated.
    - they do not have an Integrity stat, and fuel their abilities from both Vitae and their Horror's Satiety. Their Power Stat is Blood Potency. They need Vitae to function like a normal Kindred, but also to stabilize the bloody nightmare that is their Lair – they need to spent an additional Vitae per day as upkeep for the Lair. When Starving, the body needs another Vitae to function.
    - a Scourge may sate her Horror with Vitae – converting 7 Vitae into purest life essence allows raising the Satiety by 1, once per night. The Horror will not be satisfied with any further attempts.
    - Scourges do not enter Frenzy, unless they are Starving.
    - When Ravenous, a Scourge is, for all purposes, a mindless monster under the control of his Horror.
    - Scourges cannot learn Coils/Scales of the Dragon or Miracles, but instead can learn Obcasus Rites
    - Scourges can immediately refill both Vitae and Satiety by Amaranth, in addition to it's usual benefits.
    Thoughts? What else needs to be addressed/detailed?
    Other concepts that will be posted some time later:
    Begotten/Kindred - modified Ghoul template (Fiends as a name, I thought)
    Kindred/Mage - Pattern-devouring, reality-consuming eldritch willworkers (Bloodmages?)
    Begotten/Uratha - lliteral shapeshifting horrors (Shoggoths! =D)
    Uratha/Begotten - Werewolf-hunting Jäger, Nightmares of Silver Collars, of crumbling Walls, of Isolation and Stagnation.

ammm the main thing that I'll change to the vampire/ begotten hybrid is that instead of it being a vampire Devoured by an Horror, I would have tied the Embrace and the Devouring into the same event- for example, a vampire who is haunted by nightmares Embrace a mortal- only for the mortal in question to be Devoured by something far older and dangerous. Or perhaps we could make it into a Revanant which is Uplifted by an Horror instead of a Kindred. So it is less about "harnessing a new Template" as much as "gaining a modified/hybrid template".

As for Kindred/Mage, I think that's what the Sons of Phobos and the Tremere are for (each from a different angle). There was also in the forums a version for a Demon/Mage hybrid, but it seems like I haven't bookmarked it.

EDIT- so after a short search, I've found a number of draft for such hybrid templates:

- The Admonitoria (the original which has started the all thing, Changeling/Vampire)
    - Warlocks (Changeling/Mage hybrid, by Satchel)
    - Kindy Ones (Changeling/Beast, by Mad Maudlin)
    - Ravani (Demon/Mage, by Caladriu)
    - Tremere (Vampire/Mage version, by Inodiv)
    - Crones and Wyrms (Beast/Mage, by Second Chances)
    Last edited by LostLight; 03-23-2018, 03:00 PM.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

An easy way to do Awakened Werewolf, or at least justify it, might be to have them become like a Pangaean, through the gathering of omphalos stones or devouring of Pangaean carcasses.

I believe Guayota, or at least his plot hook, would be a way to do werewolf/mummy or even werewolf/sin-eater.

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
      Guayota has become a disembodied spirit, roving far and wide on strange and bizarre affairs. Now, however, it has returned its attention to the real world, and wishes to return to existence. It is manipulating the Tibicenas into performing something akin to the Rite of Return used by the Shaniatu of Irem, having pried that lore loose from the world on its travels. It plans to establish itself as a ghost-king, with the Tibicenas as cursed wolf-mummies grovelling before its throne.
      Last edited by nofather; 03-23-2018, 03:33 PM.

Comment

rewritting the Hollow as Mummy/Vampire seems like it may have some interesting potential, IMO.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
          - Tremere (Vampire/Mage version, by Inodiv)
          A more fleshed out version can be found here

It's a forever WIP, but I've done a fair amount of playtesting and it works. Mr. Gone was also kind enough to make a sheet for it, which should be hosted on his site.

Comment

The Kindly Ones probably need a revision in light of the Beast Player's Guide.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
              EDIT- so after a short search, I've found a number of draft for such hybrid templates:
              - The Genius (Demon/Mage hybrid, by Milo v3)

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

Awesome!
                Thanks everyone for the Contributions so far!
                I gave quite a lot of respect for the amount of work those long writeups take.
                LostLight That is perfectly fair. I think there is a lot of room for different concepts: a revenant uplifted by a Devouring Could Result In Something Different From A Beast being embraced, or a Kindred being devoured, or even a mortal experiencing the Devouring during that Brief moment in between life and Death in the embrace. (Or stranger ways still - a Beast bathing in kindred vitae in a magical rite, a Kindred diablerizing a Horror, etc..)
                My approach was to try and take the idea that Begotten are fears made Manifest, and trying to apply that to Kindred -specific fears. Still needs work, needs more thought putninto it as it was a Spur of the moment thing, but I think it's a good concept, in and of itself.

Comment

Other hybrid concepts (lacking material so far):
                  • Demon + Werewolf - Demon calls in a Soul Pact just before or during a First Change; An Offspring/Fractal undergoes the First-Change and it super-charges their Demon blood as well; An Angel possesses someone undergoing the First Change and ends up Fallen, fused, and blended with the new Werewolf; Something funky happening with a Demon as the Totem of a Pack;
                  • Werewolf + Mage - Soul-theft shenanigans involving a Werewolf; The "lucky" individual undergoes the First Change while in their Mystery Play; Weird interactions of a Spirit-based Legacy, acting as the Totem for a Pack, and a bad Totem's Wrath (Wolf Gift Facet).
                  • Demon + Vampire - Cover Embraced while the Demon was Going Native or Play Possum; Ordo Dracul researcher gets too happy with grafting Demonic Form parts to themselves and "reactivates" them; Strix Synthesis fun;
                  • Promethean + Demon - Guess whose parts were used for that Frankenstein or Unfleshed?; Demon accepts an offer from a powerful Quashmallim;
                  • Promethean + Mage - Body used was of a Lich (of a resurrecting variety), and the returning spirit agrees to joint custody;
                  • Geist + Mage - Geist fuses with a Ghost-Mage before or after the Bargain;
                  • Geist + Demon - When the Geist came from an Echo;
                  Last edited by Vent0; 03-25-2018, 09:22 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Demon + Promethean makes me Wonder how to pull of a fallen Quashmallim. It would be closer to a new template, I guess, but still.

If you wanna go crazy cross-over:
                    A mage died, his body was turned into a promethean, but his ghost Hung on, turning into a Geist. Some time After the promethean achieved the New dawn, he died, and the original then soul now Geist makes the bargain. Rather than a normal sin-eater the result is.... something else. But it has the death arcana

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                      Geist + Mage - Geist fuses with a Ghost-Mage before or after the Bargain;
                      This is definitely something I'd like to write once Geist 2e comes out. A ghost-mage who somehow (possibly by drinking from a peculiar River) gains the Bargain Manifestation and changes the Geist-dependent part of the Bound template.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

So just to add my two fils on the topic, one thing that I've noticed is that if you try and mash two splats together, you create lots of complexity very quickly. When I try to create a mashup, what I do is mash a splat with a demisplat. So when I created the Crones and Wyrms, I combined a Beast with a Proximus. Part of that was due to Mage metaphysics, a Mage can't be devoured and a Beast can't awaken, but it is also because Proximi Blessings are much easier to substitute for Nightmares or Atavisms than full Arcana would be.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Another, less overt method of mixing would be giving a splat aspects of the other without actually porting in powers. Like vampires with weakness to iron and powers over illusions and binding-your-promises, but referring to none of actual Contracts and pledges from changelings. Easier said, I know, but just throwing ideas here.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                            So just to add my two fils on the topic, one thing that I've noticed is that if you try and mash two splats together, you create lots of complexity very quickly. When I try to create a mashup, what I do is mash a splat with a demisplat. So when I created the Crones and Wyrms, I combined a Beast with a Proximus. Part of that was due to Mage metaphysics, a Mage can't be devoured and a Beast can't awaken, but it is also because Proximi Blessings are much easier to substitute for Nightmares or Atavisms than full Arcana would be.
                            I may need to take a closer look at Mages, because Crones and (especially) Wyrms look badass.

Comment

I would personally not include Mummies(Rite of Return wise anyway, got no problem with Lifeless failures to duplicate the Rite though) in this but beyond that, go hog wild. In particularly I feel like there is tons of room for God Machine hybrid horrors.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Working...
                              X