Awakening Kindred, Devoured Werewolves, and other Hybrids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An idea seed for Created with a side of Beast:

'Flux is not the only thing down that path - a voice beckoned me, spurred me on to ever greater acts, but they needed a certain context. Finding that one was hard, but finally, I felt embraced. The flickering flame went out, and something like a worm took its place inside. Now, I feel better than ever. And I am better off than all those fools on Aurum, Ferrum and the others.'

Centimani are on a dead end - or so everyone thought. Turns out, however, that by becoming a monster, you CAN attain a soul- it is always hungry, sure, but it alleviates the waste Land and disquiet problems.
    When a Promethean spreads enough fear, but is advanced enough on the Path, they can be embraced by the Dark Mother.
    This allows them to keep their Bestowements, as well as acquire nightmares, atavisms and Passing resemblance.
    While weaker than a promethean, seeing how they lack access to Transmutations, they can buy both beast and promethean merits, and retain their knowledge of Alchemy.
    Mechanically, an Abject is an Alchemist who does not suffer from Exposure to pyros, can use Nightmares, identify supernaturals on sight, and buy superhuman merits. They cannot have more Atavisms than Magnitude/2 rounded down.

Instead of just Heroes, however, Quashmallim too hunt the Abject, because the Principle does decidedly not like it when the Dark Mother meddles in its affairs. In addition, other prometheans feel very uncomfortable Around abjects, as their mere existence raises questions most of them dont want answered.
    Finally, abjects have no integrity stat, and dont cause Wastelands, but they Suffer from stage one disquiet when dealing with normal human beings for extended Periods of time, and cant share the gnawing feeling to have made an error, a sense of emptiness - their larval horror has no lair, cannot access the primordial dream, and cannot claim chambers.

They themselves are, Perhaps, a lesson to other prometheans...

Comment

Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
      An idea seed for Created with a side of Beast:

'Flux is not the only thing down that path - a voice beckoned me, spurred me on to ever greater acts, but they needed a certain context. Finding that one was hard, but finally, I felt embraced. The flickering flame went out, and something like a worm took its place inside. Now, I feel better than ever. And I am better off than all those fools on Aurum, Ferrum and the others.'

Centimani are on a dead end - or so everyone thought. Turns out, however, that by becoming a monster, you CAN attain a soul- it is always hungry, sure, but it alleviates the waste Land and disquiet problems.
      When a Promethean spreads enough fear, but is advanced enough on the Path, they can be embraced by the Dark Mother.
      This allows them to keep their Bestowements, as well as acquire nightmares, atavisms and Passing resemblance.
      While weaker than a promethean, seeing how they lack access to Transmutations, they can buy both beast and promethean merits, and retain their knowledge of Alchemy.
      Mechanically, an Abject is an Alchemist who does not suffer from Exposure to pyros, can use Nightmares, identify supernaturals on sight, and buy superhuman merits. They cannot have more Atavisms than Magnitude/2 rounded down.

Instead of just Heroes, however, Quashmallim too hunt the Abject, because the Principle does decidedly not like it when the Dark Mother meddles in its affairs. In addition, other prometheans feel very uncomfortable Around abjects, as their mere existence raises questions most of them dont want answered.
      Finally, abjects have no integrity stat, and dont cause Wastelands, but they Suffer from stage one disquiet when dealing with normal human beings for extended Periods of time, and cant share the gnawing feeling to have made an error, a sense of emptiness - their larval horror has no lair, cannot access the primordial dream, and cannot claim chambers.

They themselves are, Perhaps, a lesson to other prometheans...

At first I thought you were mixing Created and vampires. There's a lot here that could go that way as well, should the Thing that takes up residence be from/a Strix. A "living" crucible of divine fire, extinguished, might hold a Strix far too well for its own liking--more like a cage than a home, and while a shadowed flame could provide all kinds of advantages those yellow eyes and constant, nagging voice that you should do monstrous things will complicate existence....

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

At first I thought you were mixing Created and vampires. There's a lot here that could go that way as well, should the Thing that takes up residence be from/a Strix. A "living" crucible of divine fire, extinguished, might hold a Strix far too well for its own liking--more like a cage than a home, and while a shadowed flame could provide all kinds of advantages those yellow eyes and constant, nagging voice that you should do monstrous things will complicate existence....

--Khanwulf
        I like! Definitly a concept worth keeping in mind

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
          I thought Dead Wolves (the Bloodline) kinda count? As for Werewolves with a vampiric side, I don't know?
          Dead Wolves are a wolf-blooded bloodline. They would sort of be obsolete now since you can just keep your Tell as a vampire. Also one of its big bonuses was being able to support a totem bond in a pack, which anyone can do. The others were fairly 'meh' and can be done with wolf-blooded Merits or Tells. The transformation was way too expensive but also something you can replicate with just Protean, now.

Though if you wanted to go that route, and I think it's kind of weak but obviously more doable without house rules, you could just have a wolf-blooded (any full template).
          Last edited by nofather; 03-27-2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
            I think if you were going Mage and Werewolf, you would for the most part cut out arcana. Instead you would focus on mage sight, prime, and maybe attainments, though making them more fluid to use than mage's distracted staring. Then motivation-wise they would be like the Sidereals from Exalted. I suppose it's more of a werewolf and archmage mash-up, though, where they act as enforcers of the pax arcanum and general supernal guardians.
            The 1e Changing Breeds book had a Merit (or "Aspect", see Beast Magic, pp.79-80) that amounted to "learn a Mage spell while (severely) limiting your max Primal Urge"... new Merit for each spell. I'm both paraphrasing and translating with that sentence, but we can call a spade a spade. This could provide a mechanical avenue for a Supernal-attuned werewolf to manifest magic--essentially their spirit-side being plucked by an encounter with the Supernal or an aspected Pangaean (or similar power) such that they continue to resonate.

They could define a series of Arcana from which they could draw Attainments, and also use that to limit their spell selection list much like Proximi. This is handwaving, since my grasp of Mage is tenuous at best.

One of the interesting things about cross-bred splats (even minor splats) is that you end up with something unique, something unlikely to be duplicated very often (rarer than new!Dhampir), and therefore something that will be misunderstood by even their closest supernatural relatives. Cue conflict and angst!

Geist and Vampire seems pretty easy, as you can have an alternative 'vampirism' where they are undead but rather than having all the standard vampire abilities it's channeled through this vampiric 'entity' in the form of the Beast, a strix, or some other hungry dead. Disciplines and abilities would probably have to be retooled as blood sorceries and necromancies, but some could be made permanent through a scarring of the soul, forcing you to gain more traditional, then focused, vampire weaknesses the more powerful you get.
            I know nothing of Geist, however this also starts to smell like another avenue for expressing the concept of "Tremere". That's not a bad thing.

--Khanwulf

Comment

The 1e Changing Breeds book had a Merit (or "Aspect", see Beast Magic, pp.79-80) that amounted to "learn a Mage spell while (severely) limiting your max Primal Urge"... new Merit for each spell. I'm both paraphrasing and translating with that sentence, but we can call a spade a spade. This could provide a mechanical avenue for a Supernal-attuned werewolf to manifest magic--essentially their spirit-side being plucked by an encounter with the Supernal or an aspected Pangaean (or similar power) such that they continue to resonate.
              This is available with Forsaken with less of a drawback. The Milestone Gift Thief of Shadows (which required 5 Cunning) would let you steal abilities you see other game lines perform. You had to buy them yourself and it cost a permanent Willpower, but at least that was buyable back.

So if you really wanted more regular spell-slinging werewolves you could have a lineage of these, perhaps members of the Lodge of the Cage, who have managed to grab a supernal entity as their totem and it allows them to share the spells stolen by their most cunning.

Comment

Something I wrote for a Mummy/Geist hybrid, I currently call "Hery Sesheta"-

The voices of the cultists sang through the air, vibrating through Neter Khertet and opening the gates of Duat. The ancient soul answered to their call, furious for the state it was reduced and burning with the zeal of the Judges. Its enemies would pay for what was done to it, it vowed- by the Laws of the gods, it would return and show them how truly deathless truly were the powers of Irem, and how dreadful was the wrath of the Judges.

Hovering above the body of the sacrifice, the soul examined the destined vessel- it was fine, it assumed. Not the best specimen humanity had to offer, and not someone from its cult- apparently, no one volunteered to serve as the vehicle to their god's rebirth. Understandable- but still, a sign of disloyalty. It would have to punish them for this, of course- give a too loose hand, and in the next Sothic Turn you would find yourself dumped in an unmarked grave, with no cult to serve you. Better to end the rebellion before it begins, it thought, as it made sure that the doors to the body were open, and that all of the four organs were in place. At least that its cult did right. Maybe it would kill only the head priest- many others in the cult would be happy for getting the promotion.

Filled with thoughts about what terrible death its priest was going to suffer from, the soul sent its hand and grasped the corpse's heart, ready to fill it with its essence and claim it as its own.

The corpse grasped it back.

Surprised, the soul looked at the ethereal hand which held its with a force gained by death alone. Shaken, the soul looked at the ethereal face which hovered over the corpse like a shroud of mist. Terrified, the soul was cut by the venomous screams which echoed from the dead throat.

"You fucking killed me! You son of a bitch!"

Confusion filled the souls mind- confusion which has quickly replace with a cold dread. The rite! The corpse should have been cleaned from any remains of the soul- but apparently, the head priest messed up. Again. Even a thousand deaths won't be able to pay for that mistake. The vessel should have been cleaned from all signs of death and soul, but apparently, the cultists forgot to remove the dead's Shadow. And now, there was a ghost residing inside the vessel- and it was angry.

"Let go of me, lowly being!" the soul commanded "Accept your death and carry on to the halls of Duat, were you would be rightfully judged. That body is not for you to dwell in anymore- and I demand it, in the name of the Judges and the Gods!"

Apparently, the ghost didn't really cared for complicated things such as the Judges and the after life. It simply turned its blind eyes toward it and howled "Let go of my body, you fucking bastard!"

The soul cringed. All it wanted to do was to reap the soul's hold, throw the poor shadow to Neter Khertet and claim the body to serve the Judges as was its right. However, the grasp of the ghost was too strong- and the only way to free itself from it would be by leaving the vessel's heart. However, the summoning rite was about to over. If it would act too hastily, it would be thrown back to Duat to suffer from the rage of its Judge. Worse, if it would mess up and won't manage to channel itself properly, it would have the danger of becoming one of the Devourer's spawn.

The wrath of the Judges from one hand. The breath of the Ammut from the other. And in the middle, an angry ghost which simply wasn't going to let go.

Fear and rage both burned in the soul's heart- but there was nothing it could do, at least on its own, and the time was almost up. Frustrated, the soul looked in the blind eyes of the corpse and spat words it never thought it, the chosen servant of the gods, would have ever need to say in all of eternity.

"Perhaps we can have some short of... a Bargain?"
                I'll have some thoughts about mechanics later, but the way I see it right now would be having a Mummy template "dressed" with a Bound one, such as having Synergy as the effective Sekhem score for the Hery Sesheta, making all of them having Sheut as their Decree and having the ability to express Affinities only when they "Unleash" their Arisen. They may, however, have a Key instead of a Judge, and may be able to learn Ceremonies (not sure about Haunts).

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

LostLight that is a great and evocative bit of lead-in. Nice point as well that if you mess up with necromancy, there's going to be a serious price to pay!

This is available with Forsaken with less of a drawback. The Milestone Gift Thief of Shadows (which required 5 Cunning) would let you steal abilities you see other game lines perform. You had to buy them yourself and it cost a permanent Willpower, but at least that was buyable back.

So if you really wanted more regular spell-slinging werewolves you could have a lineage of these, perhaps members of the Lodge of the Cage, who have managed to grab a supernal entity as their totem and it allows them to share the spells stolen by their most cunning.
                  Very interesting. Filed among the many things I did not know!

So now we have an idea of what, in XP terms, the cost of having cross-splat powers in werewolf could be (blessed by the Balance Fairy, that is). 15 XP (5x Renown, once) + 8 XP for permanent Willpower (per the power, only) + 8xdot of power duplicated. Set aside for the moment the in-game deeds needed to justify 5 Cunning Renown, as those cannot be quantified; likewise for the quest needed to secure the Gift.

Pretty stiff cost, it seems like.

So if a werewolf+mage were sporting mage sight+attainments+some spell access (let's assume at least a Proximi-level listing), what would they give up from the shapeshifter template, so to speak, to justify such and bring the XP cost down?

--Khanwulf

Comment

Willpower only costs 1 Exp in second edition. I'm pretty sure the cost of the power would go way down as well.

Comment

Willpower only costs 1 Exp in second edition. I'm pretty sure the cost of the power would go way down as well.

Yeah I wanted to remember that too, but after going through the Core and WtF book with various searches could not find anything on Willpower XP costs... do you have a citation?

It wasn't clear to me from Googling the Gift if it was 1e or 2e. How would you rewrite the costs for 2e?

--Khanwulf

Comment

Yeah I wanted to remember that too, but after going through the Core and WtF book with various searches could not find anything on Willpower XP costs... do you have a citation?
                        It's in the God Machine Chronicle update and Blood & Smoke.

It wasn't clear to me from Googling the Gift if it was 1e or 2e. How would you rewrite the costs for 2e?
                        Probably a flat 3 Experiences. Realistically I'd get rid of the Willpower cost, too, since you're already charging them for the power.

Comment

A quick pass at trying to make a Mage/Promethean(Alchemist) hybrid.

(please be gentle)

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

I have been working on a changeling/werewolf hybrid on and off for a while now, although I’ve put them on hold until the final CtL book is in my greedy little hands. I’m calling them the Cu Sith, and they’ll be individuals that go through their First Change during the process of their Keeper twisting them into a changeling.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                            Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                            Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
                              I have been working on a changeling/werewolf hybrid on and off for a while now, although I’ve put them on hold until the final CtL book is in my greedy little hands. I’m calling them the Cu Sith, and they’ll be individuals that go through their First Change during the process of their Keeper twisting them into a changeling.

I remember them. Are they going to be Glamour-Infused Werewolves or Changelings with a very strange Seeming?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

I remember them. Are they going to be Glamour-Infused Werewolves or Changelings with a very strange Seeming?
                                I’m leaning towards making them more on the changeling side, but I’m definitely going to try to get a good blend. Nothing’s written in stone yet, though.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                                Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                                Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Working...
                                X