Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad_Maudlin
    replied
    Okay, updated description of the Kindly Ones/Good Cousins. (With credit to Overlord62 for the initial idea of Autumn Courtiers interested in the Dark Mother)

Sometimes an oneiromancer gets lost on the Dreaming Roads and ends up wandering the Astral. Some sorcerers of the Autumn Court have heard of the Dark Mother and are curious about what kind of power they might be able to bargain for. When these changelings, by accident or intent, find their way into the Primordial Dream, they can potentially "go native," taking some of that place's dark Astral energy into themselves in order to survive there--but at a cost.

The Kindly Ones retain the Seeming and Kith they gained in Arcadia, though their mien often shifts to fit in among the Horrors of their new home. They must spend Glamour to maintain the Mask when in the material realm, and just as a Beast merges with their Horror when a Primordial Pathway opens, the Mask stops functioning when the Kindly Ones are in the Dream. They can open their own Primordial Pathways, but they do not have a true Lair; typically a Kindly One occupies a Chamber for a short time, moving on as it sinks into the Mists, unless they grow closer enough to a Beast to have access to its Lair instead.

Instead of Wyrd, the Kindly Ones have a Legend: this both protects them in the Primordial Dream and constrains them to act within its bounds. At high levels of Legend, the tension between their Legend and their life (represented by both their Needle and Thread) has a corrosive effect on their Clarity, making contact with their Touchstones especially important. Weakening their connection to the Wyrd is also a double-edged sword: they are harder for Huntsmen to track, and can escape from the consequences of broken oaths, but they lose most of their Contracts and the ability to bind or seal oaths themselves.

They still need Glamour--in fact, they tend to burn through it faster than normal changelings and thus need more of it--but can only harvest it from fear. Reaping Glamour from emotions other than fear is possible, but with a -3 penalty. On the other hand, they can harvest Glamour from far less intense fears than a Beast needs to regain Satiety, and they lack a picky Hunger driving them to particularly horrible acts. They are "Kind" or "Good" only by comparison to the Begotten, but the names stick.

Instead of Contracts, the Good Cousins have access to Nightmares, spending on Glamour for the high-Satiety effect and two for the Satiety Expediture effect. They retain a changeling's dreamweaving abilities, though, and can use them in the Astral as well as within a Bastion. All Kindly Ones add their Legend to any roll meant to produce dreamweaving successes (triggering a Clash of Wills if they're in a Beast's Lair) and they do not suffer penalties from Dream Intruder or other related Conditions. This makes them potent enemies on their home turf.

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post

These things don't seem to be related to changeling at all, though, it seems like something a changeling would never want to be part of. Taking people, hunting, using offerings, these are straight werewolf things. Even omens when you bring spirits with you. The memory loss is easily attributed to any form of Breaking Point, though. Chasing a fairytale character just makes it sound like it's a particular Siskur-Dah.

There's a rite, Great Hunt, that this seems to be representative of. 'At the rite’s culmination, all human and Wolf-Blooded members of the pack immediately shift to Urhan form, gaining the full range of bonuses that the form offers, the senses of a werewolf and regeneration as if they had Primal Urge 1. They also gain the Ban Condition until the sun rises They are compelled to hunt the pack’s prey. Taking part in the Great Hunt is an Integrity breaking point for humans, but not Wolf-Blooded.' But it could just as easily be a Fire-Touched or Predator King, as their sacred hunts let them sort of recruit spirits and warp the world around them.

You don't even have to be there. Just members of the pack changed into wolves at night, including the humans who aren't even aware they're part of a pack.

I think Satchel and someone else suggested Briarwolf for a Lost/Uratha Firstborn.
    It is indeed nothing a changeling might want to do, but quite possibly exactly what he went through in his durance, and very much a Fae thing to do imo.
    The great overlap with werewolf (to the point it could be simply a lodge) is what made me go 'this fits perfectly'.

I mean, imagine a being with PTSD and a hate for what happened to them as part of the hunt, but with an innate desire to keep hunting, trying to find a positive outlet for this need.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
    I think I should have went into more detail. the kidnapping Element is what makes it so fae/changeling for me - people sleep in their bed or take a walk, are Suddenly swiped away, Part Of A Hunting party. When they return, a lot of time has passed, or maybe none at all.
    There is also the 'omen' Character: it is less often that they bring death, but more that it follows in their wake (well, mythologically, at least. Contemporary fantasy has a slightly different approach). So seeing the hunt is like hearing your beansidhe. It means a storm, or a war, or horrible times are coming.
    There is also a character of oaths- not giving enough offerings to odin's horses (who is occassionally considered to lead the hunt) can result in the hunt punishing you by causing a bad harvest, but the year is supposed to be exceptionally good if the hunt sings. Certain ceremonies were/are celebrated, in a similar vein to halloween - to placate the hunt.
    It is more fae than changeling, but imo mixing changeling's oaths-and-fairytale themes with The Wolf Must Hunt lends itself well, here.
    Plus the hunt often chases a fairytale character, e.g. Frau Holle.
    These things don't seem to be related to changeling at all, though, it seems like something a changeling would never want to be part of. Taking people, hunting, using offerings, these are straight werewolf things. Even omens when you bring spirits with you. The memory loss is easily attributed to any form of Breaking Point, though. Chasing a fairytale character just makes it sound like it's a particular Siskur-Dah.

There's a rite, Great Hunt, that this seems to be representative of. 'At the rite’s culmination, all human and Wolf-Blooded members of the pack immediately shift to Urhan form, gaining the full range of bonuses that the form offers, the senses of a werewolf and regeneration as if they had Primal Urge 1. They also gain the Ban Condition until the sun rises They are compelled to hunt the pack’s prey. Taking part in the Great Hunt is an Integrity breaking point for humans, but not Wolf-Blooded.' But it could just as easily be a Fire-Touched or Predator King, as their sacred hunts let them sort of recruit spirits and warp the world around them.

You don't even have to be there. Just members of the pack changed into wolves at night, including the humans who aren't even aware they're part of a pack.

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    Well, we do have an Firstborn called "Sky Hunter". Perhaps they are the ones to lead the Lost!Uratha Wild Hunt?
    I think Satchel and someone else suggested Briarwolf for a Lost/Uratha Firstborn.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    Well, we do have an Firstborn called "Sky Hunter". Perhaps they are the ones to lead the Lost!Uratha Wild Hunt?

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied

Seems like Uratha, except for the sky hunting thing. Changelings don't seem like they would do a hunt or be involved with it at all. Maybe elements of Changeling, like the True Fae. And that's only because you describe it as 'Usually Fae of some kind.' But the idea of a bunch of hunters who come with otherworldly elements taking or killing people seems more like werewolf and way unlike changeling.
    I think I should have went into more detail. the kidnapping Element is what makes it so fae/changeling for me - people sleep in their bed or take a walk, are Suddenly swiped away, Part Of A Hunting party. When they return, a lot of time has passed, or maybe none at all.
    There is also the 'omen' Character: it is less often that they bring death, but more that it follows in their wake (well, mythologically, at least. Contemporary fantasy has a slightly different approach). So seeing the hunt is like hearing your beansidhe. It means a storm, or a war, or horrible times are coming.
    There is also a character of oaths- not giving enough offerings to odin's horses (who is occassionally considered to lead the hunt) can result in the hunt punishing you by causing a bad harvest, but the year is supposed to be exceptionally good if the hunt sings. Certain ceremonies were/are celebrated, in a similar vein to halloween - to placate the hunt.
    It is more fae than changeling, but imo mixing changeling's oaths-and-fairytale themes with The Wolf Must Hunt lends itself well, here.
    Plus the hunt often chases a fairytale character, e.g. Frau Holle.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied

You are welcome.

The wild hunt in fiction (e.g. witcher, Dresden Files) is commonly A mythological group of otherworldly hunters, Usually Fae Of Some Kind, Who Are Considered A Bad Omen (draught, war, death), Bringers Of Death, and Also Kidnappers that sweep up people to participate in the hunt. It is based on a european myth, where the wild hunt is exactly the above, pretty much.

Edit: should mention they Hunt in the sky.
    Now, wouldn't that be something for LostUratha?
    Seems like Uratha, except for the sky hunting thing. Changelings don't seem like they would do a hunt or be involved with it at all. Maybe elements of Changeling, like the True Fae. And that's only because you describe it as 'Usually Fae of some kind.' But the idea of a bunch of hunters who come with otherworldly elements taking or killing people seems more like werewolf and way unlike changeling.
    Last edited by nofather; 03-30-2018, 08:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied

I don't get the changeling part of it, just based on the name.

Thanks for the correction.
    You are welcome.

The wild hunt in fiction (e.g. witcher, Dresden Files) is commonly A mythological group of otherworldly hunters, Usually Fae Of Some Kind, Who Are Considered A Bad Omen (draught, war, death), Bringers Of Death, and Also Kidnappers that sweep up people to participate in the hunt. It is based on a european myth, where the wild hunt is exactly the above, pretty much.

Edit: should mention they Hunt in the sky.
    Now, wouldn't that be something for LostUratha?

Leave a comment:

• Gallus
    replied
    Originally posted by Gallus View Post
    A quick pass at trying to make a Mage/Promethean(Alchemist) hybrid.

(please be gentle)
    Added some rough ideas for Merits.

I don't really know what I'm doing

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Dont know where to Find it, but Wild Hunt As A Changeling/Werewolf crossover template sounds soooo obvious, now.
    I don't get the changeling part of it, just based on the name.

Edit: wilde Jagd is indeed wild hunt, the e is not old, though, but contemporary german
    Thanks for the correction.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Now that I take a longer look at it, this Wild Hunt sounds more like a pack/lodge with a Gentry totem and few Huntsmen packmates...

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Dont know where to Find it, but Wild Hunt As A Changeling/Werewolf crossover template sounds soooo obvious, now.

Edit: wilde Jagd is indeed wild hunt, the e is not old, though, but contemporary german
    Last edited by Wormwood; 03-29-2018, 06:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
    Speaking of which, I heard the term Wilde Jagd (?) some time before, something connecting werewolves and changelings - they sounds like material for brainstorming hybrid templates. Can anybody point me to where I should look for?
    Looks like 'Wild Hunt,' what with Jagd being German for hunt. Wild is wild, I think, but throw the e in there for old timey stuff. I think it was posted by ArcaneArts in the Changeling forum, but it might be a 2e setting or not. I believe it was more changelings and werewolves working next to each other rather than werewolf changelings.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Honestly, it seems like the perfect kind of situation to introduce actual bale hounds. Because they really do well when operating covertly, and everyone throwing around the bale hound term would act as a lot of obfuscation towards their actual heritage.
    Alternatively, politically minded actual Bale Hounds practicing semi-openly by setting themselves up as victims of prejudice and scapegoating. Either way, great plot hook right here for a game that’s usually less focused on political intrigue.

Speaking of which, I heard the term Wilde Jagd (?) some time before, something connecting werewolves and changelings - they sounds like material for brainstorming hybrid templates. Can anybody point me to where I should look for?

Leave a comment:

• Mirthless
    replied
    Nofather pretty much has it. My thoughts and ideas were effectively related to first edition Forsaken.

The Bale Hounds as I understood them (in Blasphemies) were never my favorite, because they seemed, to a large degree, like they were based on Black Spiral Dancers, what with the Maeljin influences and such, but without the sort of larger mythology that made the Black Spiral Dancers connect with Apocalypse. So to me, they just came off as feeling like they were a slapped-on, uninteresting foe compared to the spirits, Pure, and Hosts already out there.

Perhaps the new edition will give me something to hold on to in a way the last one didn't. I'm certainly hoping it does (and the work on 2e so far has been top notch so I have high hopes).

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
    That... sounds reasonable. However isn't it effectively what Lodges were meant to be?
    It seems to be anchored in first edition, where lodges didn't have the 2-way investment and potentially other supernatural things involved. Plus it's based off of a disliking of first editions Bale Hounds (they've barely been mentioned in 2nd, and not enough to make any sound judgment).

Maybe Mirthless will change their mind with Shunned by the Moon, maybe not.

Honestly, it seems like the perfect kind of situation to introduce actual bale hounds. Because they really do well when operating covertly, and everyone throwing around the bale hound term would act as a lot of obfuscation towards their actual heritage.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X