Awakening Kindred, Devoured Werewolves, and other Hybrids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nofather View Post

It's in the God Machine Chronicle update and Blood & Smoke.

Probably a flat 3 Experiences. Realistically I'd get rid of the Willpower cost, too, since you're already charging them for the power.
    Thanks... I was looking at the GMC core and didn't see it, but will look again.

So you would charge PCs 3 XP for the acquisition of a stolen power...? And maybe a temporary WP for the activation of the gift--keeping in mind as-written it requires several periods of observation?

I suppose that makes sense since they spent 15 XP for the Renown, then bought the Gift expressly to obtain "alien" powers... or a mimic of them anyway.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Keep in mind that the 15 XP on Renown has their own benefits, such as 10 XP's worth of Facets.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
        So you would charge PCs 3 XP for the acquisition of a stolen power...? And maybe a temporary WP for the activation of the gift--keeping in mind as-written it requires several periods of observation?

I suppose that makes sense since they spent 15 XP for the Renown, then bought the Gift expressly to obtain "alien" powers... or a mimic of them anyway.
        They seemed to be trying to moving away from charging PCs for everything possible, and especially things achieved in-game. So you don't have to pay Experience for rites to say you're sorry, or fetishes, for instance. As it is you have to watch a supernatural use the ability a few times.

I don't see any reason to make it cost a lot just because it's different.

Comment

I was thinking about a mix between Promethean and Mummies. As a Created is neither dead nor alive, and Sekhem is the life-force of a being, maybe they register as a Relic or a Vestige than a creature to an Arisen (especially an Unfleshed). Arisen could then try to turn them into a Talisman, giving them Utterances, the ability to show them visions etc.

Edit: I came up with Ushebti as a name.
          Last edited by Adrasalieth; 03-29-2018, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrasalieth View Post
            I was thinking about a mix between Promethean and Mummies. As a Created is neither dead nor alive, and Sekhem is the life-force of a being, maybe they register as a Relic or a Vestige than a creature to an Arisen (especially an Unfleshed). Arisen could then try to turn them into a Talisman, giving them Utterances, the ability to show them visions etc.
            I like that approach. This way, the rite of return is left outside, and rather than mixing the templates outright, you mix one template With Another's mcguffins.

Comment

I was unhappy with the Bale Hounds as originally presented, so I actually changed the Bale Hounds into hybrid Uratha/Other Splat crossovers, where the various strains of Bale Hound are Werewolves remade into the service of various supernatural Bads, of which the Maeljin are only the most well-known example.

(Within the variant, I'd also state that the Forsaken are divided over whether or not Pure are basically spirit Bale Hounds, while the Pure absolutely believe the Forsaken are Lunar Bale Hounds).

So, for various Bale Hound types, there are Hounds of the Inferno (serving the Maeljin: Powers resemble those of the Possessed in Inferno), the Hedge (who gained some basic bargaining power and the ability to travel in the Hedge), the Raptor (with Proximi-like Blessings) and so on.

I never more than half-finished the concept, but it sprung to mind when I saw the thread.

Comment

So, calling someone a Bale Hound is like calling a Mage Legacy Left-handed in your games?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Yes. The distinction is slightly more than ‘just’ political (since it has vaguely-defined mechanical repercussions), but Bale Hound is effectively just a broad category of “Uratha in thrall to a supernatural player (except the ones *I* am in thrall to)”.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirthless View Post
                    Yes. The distinction is slightly more than ‘just’ political (since it has vaguely-defined mechanical repercussions), but Bale Hound is effectively just a broad category of “Uratha in thrall to a supernatural player (except the ones *I* am in thrall to)”.
                    That... sounds reasonable. However isn't it effectively what Lodges were meant to be? You join a Lodge by swearing yourself to a supernatural patron and take on characteristics (broadly put) from it.

And yes, the Pure habit of acquiring weird and powerful pack totems edges them hard toward "mini Lodge" territory by this benchmark.

So, um, I suppose we're back to "Bale Hound" as a political label for whatever wrecking crew you signed up for in blood.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
                      That... sounds reasonable. However isn't it effectively what Lodges were meant to be?
                      It seems to be anchored in first edition, where lodges didn't have the 2-way investment and potentially other supernatural things involved. Plus it's based off of a disliking of first editions Bale Hounds (they've barely been mentioned in 2nd, and not enough to make any sound judgment).

Maybe Mirthless will change their mind with Shunned by the Moon, maybe not.

Honestly, it seems like the perfect kind of situation to introduce actual bale hounds. Because they really do well when operating covertly, and everyone throwing around the bale hound term would act as a lot of obfuscation towards their actual heritage.

Comment

Nofather pretty much has it. My thoughts and ideas were effectively related to first edition Forsaken.

The Bale Hounds as I understood them (in Blasphemies) were never my favorite, because they seemed, to a large degree, like they were based on Black Spiral Dancers, what with the Maeljin influences and such, but without the sort of larger mythology that made the Black Spiral Dancers connect with Apocalypse. So to me, they just came off as feeling like they were a slapped-on, uninteresting foe compared to the spirits, Pure, and Hosts already out there.

Perhaps the new edition will give me something to hold on to in a way the last one didn't. I'm certainly hoping it does (and the work on 2e so far has been top notch so I have high hopes).

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                          Honestly, it seems like the perfect kind of situation to introduce actual bale hounds. Because they really do well when operating covertly, and everyone throwing around the bale hound term would act as a lot of obfuscation towards their actual heritage.
                          Alternatively, politically minded actual Bale Hounds practicing semi-openly by setting themselves up as victims of prejudice and scapegoating. Either way, great plot hook right here for a game that’s usually less focused on political intrigue.

Speaking of which, I heard the term Wilde Jagd (?) some time before, something connecting werewolves and changelings - they sounds like material for brainstorming hybrid templates. Can anybody point me to where I should look for?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                            Speaking of which, I heard the term Wilde Jagd (?) some time before, something connecting werewolves and changelings - they sounds like material for brainstorming hybrid templates. Can anybody point me to where I should look for?
                            Looks like 'Wild Hunt,' what with Jagd being German for hunt. Wild is wild, I think, but throw the e in there for old timey stuff. I think it was posted by ArcaneArts in the Changeling forum, but it might be a 2e setting or not. I believe it was more changelings and werewolves working next to each other rather than werewolf changelings.

Comment

Dont know where to Find it, but Wild Hunt As A Changeling/Werewolf crossover template sounds soooo obvious, now.

Edit: wilde Jagd is indeed wild hunt, the e is not old, though, but contemporary german
                              Last edited by Wormwood; 03-29-2018, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Now that I take a longer look at it, this Wild Hunt sounds more like a pack/lodge with a Gentry totem and few Huntsmen packmates...

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Working...
                                X