Supernatural martial arts, or: contemplating a micro/minor-template

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh. Curious example.
    Surpressing a condition for a scene sounds very topical - especially if the price were to somehow aggravate the condition. The typical Dangerous Forbidden Technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
      Heh. Curious example.
      Suppressing a condition for a scene sounds very topical - especially if the price were to somehow aggravate the condition. The typical Dangerous Forbidden Technique.

Aha. Suppressing a Condition is different from a Tilt. Tilts are usually physical or environmental impediments that ignoring for a bit would be helpful in almost any case. Conditions could be good or bad, so...

Text:
      Suppress the negative modifiers of a Condition (or all Conditions) for a scene while taking the Aggravated (Condition) Tilt, which increases by one all negative modifiers on a given Condition (the one(s) selected for suppression, natch). Tilt is resolved by.. um... resolving the Condition?

You would not want to make a Condition permanent, unless you like the idea of characters with permanent Inspired and the like. That's also why the above only acts on negative modifiers: penalties to the character's rolls, or increases to target's resistance attributes.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Khanwulf right, my bad - mix up those terms occassionally.

Had an idea inspired by a... certain series. It is atm only a half-serious write-up, but I intended to make it workable within the setting of the microtemplate. What needs to change in your opinion?

Might o-ooooo (Supernatural, style)
        The human body, tempered By Training and Willpower, is capable of so much more - even limits cannot Contain the practitioner's power. However, limits exist for a reason.
        o Going Fast - By spending a turn to get himself pumped, the Practitioner becomes much more agile. Roll Resolve + Stamina as an instantly action, sacrificing defense. On success, add successes / 2 rounded up to the practitioners speed and jumping range. Dramatic failure - the practitioner's muscles cramped up and he takes a -2 penalty to all physical actions.
        oo Going Agile- The practitioner may also add a temporary dot of dexterity and derived traits.
        ooo Going Strong- instead, the practitioner may add A Temporary Dot Of Strength and derived traits.
        oooo Going Full- by paying a willpower, the practitioner may use both oo and ooo at the same time for (successes) consecutive turns. After that, he takes 3 bashing damage, which are upgraded to lethal at the end of the scene.
        ooooo Going Beyond - The practitioner may spend a wp and sacrifice his Defense to inflict +3L with his next attack. In addition, it ignores Armor, and deals Lethal even to unliving Tissue (so deals full damage to vampires, Sat . expenditure Unbreakable etc.)
        Such power comes at a prize, however - the User takes 1Agg, either Arm or Leg Wreck (which persists until the Agg is healed), and an additional -1 penalty to physical actions due to the pain - even if the attack misses.

Sorry for random capitalization and no bold/italics. Posting via phone.

Comment

Wormwood A few thoughts then:

I've recently understood that 2e versions of CofD games are expurging successes as a factor to power results--either you succeed for X or critically succeed for Y. With that in mind I would suggest changing Going Fast to "add Might/2 rounded up" instead of "add success/2 rounded up".

However if you have Might at 2+ dots you will only use Going Fast in edge cases. For example, if you have Might at 2 dots you might use Going Fast to gain jumping distance. Otherwise, Going Agile provides the same benefit, and later, Going Strong covers jumping distance. Ideally, you will want each level of a Merit to remain relevant, as opposed to being a "tax" to reach higher levels... if a tax is needed just start the Merit at 2 dots and be done with it?

Going Beyond should not penalize you if you miss. You've already blown a WP and failed a critical roll, life is going to suck mightily (heheh) for a while thanks to that! Further, suggest you inflict 1L instead of 1A on self... humans have as much trouble healing L as they do A, so it really only will factor into supernatural healing. Of course, that could be your point....

Suggest: "inflict +3L barehanded damage with his next attack, which gains +3 armor penetration and reduces the Durability of objects by 3; the blow deals Lethal damage even to corporial unliving beings such as vampires"

Just first thoughts.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
            Wormwood A few thoughts then:

I've recently understood that 2e versions of CofD games are expurging successes as a factor to power results--either you succeed for X or critically succeed for Y. With that in mind I would suggest changing Going Fast to "add Might/2 rounded up" instead of "add success/2 rounded up".

However if you have Might at 2+ dots you will only use Going Fast in edge cases. For example, if you have Might at 2 dots you might use Going Fast to gain jumping distance. Otherwise, Going Agile provides the same benefit, and later, Going Strong covers jumping distance. Ideally, you will want each level of a Merit to remain relevant, as opposed to being a "tax" to reach higher levels... if a tax is needed just start the Merit at 2 dots and be done with it?

Going Beyond should not penalize you if you miss. You've already blown a WP and failed a critical roll, life is going to suck mightily (heheh) for a while thanks to that! Further, suggest you inflict 1L instead of 1A on self... humans have as much trouble healing L as they do A, so it really only will factor into supernatural healing. Of course, that could be your point....

Suggest: "inflict +3L barehanded damage with his next attack, which gains +3 armor penetration and reduces the Durability of objects by 3; the blow deals Lethal damage even to corporial unliving beings such as vampires"

Just first thoughts.

--Khanwulf
            Good points (and well-placed pun, damn you, I actually snickered a bit!).
            The idea of going fast was to give something outside of a combat situation, heightened reflexes, that kind of jazz, to help with e.g. jumping from rooftop to rooftop in a chase scene.
            So how about this?

o Think Fast - The character's natural instincts go into overdrive as his physical prowess rises. Add 2 dots to his Athletic rolls. In addition, the character ignores up to Style/2 rounded up negative modifiers due to unstable ground, vegetation, or other hindrances when running, jumping etc. This stacks with similar benefits from e.g. Parkour.
            oo- oooo stay the same.

The idea for the fifth dot was to be a heavily double-edged sword, sacrificing immediate gains for long-term drawbacks.
            The Aggravated thus is entirely intentional. You're not going to just meditate this off! =D
            The "prize comes into effect no matter what" might be a bit much indeed. I still want to inflict damage, to make this a highly precarious skill - used at the right time, invaluable, but also a power that used unwisely will cripple you and turn you into a drag for your team.
            However, balancing concerns might outweigh my desire for a fluffy style, as you pointed out. And no effect for blowing out a WP and losing defense is harsh...

For ooooo - The practitioner may spend a wp and sacrifice his Defense to inflict +3L with his next barehanded attack. In addition, it gains +4 Armor Penetration, and deals Lethal even to unliving Tissue (so deals full damage to vampires).
            Such power comes at a prize, however - the User takes 1Agg, either Arm or Leg Wreck (which persists until the Agg is healed) as his arm or leg is ripped into shreds, leaving his bones and muscles a bloody mess, and an additional -1 penalty to physical actions due to the pain.

Comment

Look very serviceable, Wormwood; I suspect a major source of inspiration is Fist of the North Star and similar anime with gratuitously painful effects. By the way, Think Fast reminds me I did a conversion of the Telens fan discipline a bit ago, from which you might find related inspiration. No real reason why that powerset has to be vampiric, after all. Magic is magic.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
                Look very serviceable, Wormwood; I suspect a major source of inspiration is Fist of the North Star and similar anime with gratuitously painful effects. By the way, Think Fast reminds me I did a conversion of the Telens fan discipline a bit ago, from which you might find related inspiration. No real reason why that powerset has to be vampiric, after all. Magic is magic.

--Khanwulf
                Looks good, I think I will have to steal, I mean salvage a few things for myself I especially like things like Slipping the Bonds of Earth, since there we have some mechanics I completely overlooked so far. Hu-hum... *toils away*

And indeed. Mostly, though, it's brought on by Boku no Hero Academia, as the main character Deku gets One-for-All, more or less the greatest power around, and his body can't handle it. At all. Following the progression of the anime would flip the style around - learning how to use just a bit of the power is a huge advantage and increase in power, because, you know, it's really useful in a fight if you don't constantly break all your bones and rend your muscles with every strike. I sneaked in "Go Beyond" as a skill title because it's a kind of Arc words for the series.

Comment

You could do a style that starts with the 5-dot power, and then buys off the disadvantage (plus adds some advantages) along the way to simulate better the "awesome technique that literally kills you" trope.

Borrow away--that's why I linked it. Also, note that the way that powerset was constructed is also a possible structure: it has a 1-5 Merit that serves as a prereq to other abilities. In this case they are Devotions, but you could achieve the same objective (XP cost to effectiveness balance) by making them all 3-point Merits with the main Merit as a prereq. An advantage to breaking things up this way--intentionally--was that you could have a character who just "knew how to fly" and not the other stuff, whereas with a style or Discipline progression such an ability would likely be the capstone.

--Khanwulf

Comment

So, here's something to think about, but why not port Shadowrun Adepts into World of Darkness? I mean, if you're going to make a supernatural martial template or some sort, you could look at an example of a character archetype from a different setting with more or less roughly equivalent "frameworks" and port it; it isn't like you're attempting to make a DnD Monk fit into WoD. And the Adept framework can be adjusted to fit within a WoD framework.

I actually tried to do something like this a while back, though never posted, with a couple of changes to make them have resource mechanics instead of having all powers on all the time. And to avoid the whole messy fractional "magic point investment" that really ticked me off especially when you factor in Prestige class bonuses.

Adepts:
                    Had a "Power Stat" like most Supernaturals, which let's call Power Level. 1 to 10, which defined their maximum "Focus", how much "Focus" they could invest in a given turn, and up to how much Focus could be invested into a given ability. Invested Focus isn't spent, it is just applied to empower an ability and could be recouped (before you do actions) to spend it somewhere else.
                    -Had "powers" that they could invest "Focus" into, which were bought at a flat rate of say 3-4 exp. These had simple effects, but would scale based on the amount of Focus invested. Such as say "Killing Hands" would do let you do lethal damage on brawl attack if you invested a 1 Focus into it, but would do additional damage for every additional Focus you spent.
                    -Powers also had a "burn" effect, which is basically you actually permanently spend Focus for a dramatic effect, in Killing Hands's case, this was Aggravated damage instead of lethal. I believe Focus regained at a daily rate.

The idea I had with this system was to essentially represent Stances, with Focus being the ability to get into the sort of mindset or mode needed to perform the action. And by rendering the entire thing "style independent" it could be given any theme without needing to say make up flavor for each style.

Power Level was the gating mechanic, used to essentially cap how much potential an Adept could absolutely muster- it was designed such that no Adept could do everything at the same time, but otherwise had free reign in deciding on how to depict their personal fighting style, given their investment in the powers they knew.
                    Last edited by Almarck; 04-04-2018, 03:23 PM.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
                    DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
                    Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

This gives me a neat little idea for each splat having it's own secret society of Supernatural Martial Artists... And an idea for a Begotten Society too

Comment

Working...
                      X