Fansplats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fansplats

I have always wanted to make my own fully fleshed out fan splat, and I have had so many ideas that I am verging on ADD. I have two favorites in my mind and I was hoping to get opinions from the community.

The first idea I had would be some kind of serpent folk. I have always been fascinated with the idea that some cultures have of snakes being the first teachers of humanity. With this I could feel the vibe being lost glory. With serpent folk I could also see incorporating the idea of shape shifting Lizard people and could have some fun with conspiracies. Though if I use the idea of them being the first teachers I feel like it could infringe on the werewolves shamanistic niche.

The other rough idea I had would be characters physically and spiritually transformed by these rising love craft style leviathans. I read an article about how there might be a giant lightless ocean larger than any other ocean under the earths mantle. I do not know if this is true but I like the idea of ancient primordial creatures coming from and a base located on the actual real world. With this I could see being able to introduce a lot of Lovecraftian shenanigans into the mixThough I know the world of darkness is not at a loss for this.

Anyone’s ideas, criticisms, or just plain opinions would be appreciated.

If there's a vote... I'd vote for the Serpent-men. You have a certain amount of Lovecraft/Hyperborean (I know that's not the right term, sue me) lore to draw on, plus serpent-alien visitors, folklore and the like. In fact, with sea-serpents as a thing of legend, you could combine your inclinations and do both: have the serpent men retreat into the earth, seeking the sunless seas of the Underworld and shunning the light of the Sun and Moon.

Don't be afraid of developing your own parallel lore. In fact, traditions and folk-tales inherent to your fansplat are probably the first place to start detailing: what do they say about themselves that reinforces who they are and their place in the world? Collisions with other splats, such as the werewolves, are to be expected and accepted: after all, the history can be true, from a certain point of view!

"When Atlantis was young we taught the Wolves to be Wise and the Wise to be gods. We were paid in the coin of betrayal. The Wise broke our neverborn kingdoms, and the Wolves broke our god. They both have forgotten.

Yet you remember us.

In every fiber of your instinct, you know us.

We will teach you what that instinct means."

--Khanwulf

Comment

Naga The _________

Aboleth The _________

Comment

Not to commit the taboo of the double post but with the one I have codenamed have not to commit the taboo of the double post but with the one I have codenamed aboleth The general idea is this love craft style entity known as an aboleth Rises from the under ocean and seeks to gain a foothold in the modern world by manipulating certain humans into its sp rises from the under ocean and seeks to gain a foothold in the modern world by manipulating certain humans into its spawn with different aboleth having potentially similar or differing goals. Basically Cthulhu-looking psychics mucking about. With this I would hope to explore bodily and cosmic horror. I even had an idea to remake the cult meritInto a way of having enthralled servants.

With the idea I have code named Naga the idea is that there are secretive cabals Of serpent people that exist in the shadows. They deal in old deep magic, philosophy, and the secret history’s of the world. They deal in old deep magic, philosophy, and the secret histories of the world. There are the hooded kings of India, the Coatl of the Americas, The poisonous hunters of Africa etc. I would have to research more to make different regional groups. The focus would be finding lost knowledge and exploring the world.

These ideas are far from entirely fleshed out. I have things to consider once I decide on one. I think it would be better to fully devote to one instead of splitting my brain between two.
        Last edited by ThriceHonored; 04-27-2018, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Have you checked out existing Fan-splats?
          *Genius: the Transgression (1E, 2E in progress)
          *Princess: the Hopeful (1E, 2E)
          *Leviathan: the Tempest (1E, 2E in progress)
          *Dragon: the _ (2E in progress)
          *Empyrean: the Redemption (2E in progress)
          *Siren: the _ (2E in progress)
          *Monarch: the Endless (2E in progress)
          Last edited by Vent0; 05-01-2018, 09:51 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I have. That is part of the reason why I felt driven to contribute something of my own. Some of them are very well done and hopefully once I get my mind on track I can deliver something comparable.

Comment

Are you looking at the full baggage of a Splat (X-axis, Y-axis, Theme, Mood, mythology, setting, powers, antagonists, etc.), or just something like a Micro-template (see Hurt Locker for examples)?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Being a bit fan of R. E. Howard, I would love to see your take on the Serpent Men.

Project consolidation:
                Rough Draft: Dhole Shifters, Ottawa By Night, Tribebook Bunyip, Garou Variant
                In redaction: Lasombra Bloodline

Comment

Originally posted by ThriceHonored View Post
                  Though if I use the idea of them being the first teachers I feel like it could infringe on the werewolves shamanistic niche.
                  Depends what they teach, I guess. The Serpent of Eden is sometimes interpreted as bestowing maturity and free will. The Naga of India can be portrayed as guarding gods and bodhisattvas (though a Buddhist legend has the Buddha telling a human-transformed Naga than he cannot become a lama until he comes back as a true human). These all kind of suggest serpent people helping humans get to something that's closed to the serpents themselves. Which seems a bit altruistic for the Chronicles of Darkness - so what would the serpent people get out of human enlightenment?

Is teaching something they still try to do, or is it something they did in their civilisation's mythic past?

Comment

Hmm the crowd seems to be leaning towards the serpent men. Interesting .

I’m wanting to go full on major template.

I was thinking they were teachers until there students turned on them. Maybe during the time of the god machines eden? Maybe now sharing secrets with mere mortals is a sin? Now I see them hoarding knowledge for their own sake.

I was thinking about having different groups hoarding different types of knowledge example) scientific, spiritual, historical etc...
                    I just have an image in my head of albino cobra monks....

Comment

Originally posted by ThriceHonored View Post
                      Hmm the crowd seems to be leaning towards the serpent men. Interesting
                      I think the other option has been done in fansplats (Leviathan, for instance, and I think Outsider). Plus people have seemed to want other animal-people for a while.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with Serpentpeople. Lots of resources for that.

Comment

I’m actually glad. The idea of the serpent people really interested me. Weirdly enough the day I had the idea I saw a snake on my porch and an episode of ancient aliens came on talking about snakes in myth. Wild.

I’m wanting to go the route of a full splat. Fuel stat as Akasha. Still feeling that idea out. Not sure as to a resistance stat. To me wisdom seems appropriate for integrity but mages already called dibs on that. I’m also keen on the idea of schools of practice such as elemental or spirit focused shamanism, psychic abilities (in the old world spiritual sense), alchemy, etc...also not wanting them to step on mages toes. I want them to be similar but unique.

I imagine humanoid snakes with human guises. Thin lithe humanoid with a long sinewy tail, slender digitrade legs, long neck and snake head.
                        I have the image of an albino cobra person in my head. Stuck in there. Appearances would vary based on origin and type.

But are they made? Do they reproduce sexualy? I toyed with the idea of old snakes gifting mortals with this transformation with a bite like vampirism. Maybe that’s why they’re so sagacious, they only pass it on to good students. Then who was the first? Many theories. Some say the Mayan gods, some say Satan, some even suspect the Norse world serpent.

Comment

Try searching this forum for “Serpentblooded,” the thread title being They Bleed Snakes or something like that. It’s a minor template made by amechra that may be of inspiration for snake people.

MtAw Homebrew:
                          Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
                          New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

You might also check out Cinder's expansion on the Razilu, the snake host.

Comment

I may make large groups of Serpentfolk then have more specific ones under each group. Like what changeling does with seemings and kiths.

I won’t lie visually I was inspired by the new snake race in Warcraft.

I’m thinking Family > Subspecies > Occupation

Not using those words per se. For example: Venemous>Rattler>Shaman

Once again not using those words but the framework might work?

The overarching theme I want is the search for knowledge. Any and all knowledge. Everything from a pale cobra on a mountain pondering nirvana to a mighty boa mastering judo.
                              Last edited by ThriceHonored; 04-28-2018, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X