Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on gauging the Strengths and Weaknesses between Splats.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent0
    replied
    As far as Vampires go, while they have "easy" access to their fuel, they can also blow through it quickly, it decreases over time, and they need it to exist. As far as their powers go, they don't have too many that affect the wider material world without going into Blood Sorcery or exotic Devotions (or maybe Bloodline Disciplines). They have very little inherent ability with any Ephemeral group as well.

Leave a comment:

• Iceblade44
    replied
    Okay, thanks. Yeah thinking about it vampires does seems to be good spread of different abilties they can get good no matter how they focus. They have good regen, easy enough refuel in combat, naturally resistant, and has very good combat abilities. While at the same time many of them have access to the mental disciplines to also play the game socially plus blood bonds and ghouls also gives them an advantage on that area naturally. Now would you say a vampires weakness would be it's slow start in terms of power? That is it's gonna take vampires a lot of time to get that good compared to others in-game time? Of course Vamps can buy Blood Potency but even then it's expected for their to be timeskips in a game. Though maybe not since they redid exp to be cheaper for 2e.

Also how good is Predatory aura for blunt social manipulation when that is taken into account? I have only played vamp as 1e so I find how aura works now to be interesting. How does that help them?

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    I don't have the energy to go through all splats, but I can start with giving some pointers about the first splat: Vampires

Vampires are considered to be the social splat, but that's mostly because their stories are often geared towards political games rather than any innate abilities of the vampire template (that all vampires share, I mean) other than the blood bond. They do have access to three Disciplines that can help with politics (Majesty makes people like you more, Dominate mind controls people, Auspex can dig up their secrets) but each of them are tied to one of the five Clans, meaning two of the Clans doesn't have direct access to these Disciplines. All in all it's still really easy for vampires to become good at the political game (all vampires can still learn those three Disciplines but at a higher XP cost and having to drink another vampire's Vitae) but it's not something you can expect from all vampires.

One thing about vampires that I think is overlooked is how physically overpowered they can be. All vampires can learn the three physical Disciplines Celerity, Resilience and Vigor, which permanently increases their Defense, Stamina and Strength, respectively (including the derived stats Speed and Health), and each Clan gets an XP discount on at least one of those three. On top of the permanent boons they can also be activated for additional benefits that can turn combat completely around. Especially Resilience (that can ignore incoming damage even if the source has armor penetration) and Vigor (that increases damage on a successful hit) are god-stats in combat. But even if the vampire doesn't take any of these Disciplines, they all still share the ability to spend Vitae to get a bonus to a physical Attribute (but not derived stats) at the rate of +2 per Vitae spent, as well as reflexively healing 2 bashing or 1 lethal damage per Vitae spent. On top of this all vampires can enter Frenzy and gain their Blood Potency as a bonus on all rolls and resistances using the physical Attributes. This means vampires scale like crazy compared to all other splats. In comparison, new werewolves (the combat splat) start out with their shape shifting bonuses and access to several combat enhancing Gifts that gives them a clear edge over new vampires, but despite all the bonuses and tricks an elder werewolf has access to, an elder vampire can compensate by sheer number of dice. (As an example, though extreme and not representative of most games, I'm playing in a several year long VtR campaign and at this point combat dice pools below 50 dice aren't even trying.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X