Just For Fun: Dairies of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just For Fun: Dairies of Darkness

"... while there are many claims about the true origin of the vampiric race, I believe that vampires are less of a specie and more of a phenomena, a symptom for a being which is trapped between both life and death. Evidence for this theory are the so called "Post Mortem Embrace" which was once popular among the Mekhet, until their meeting with the roman Kindred (especially the Julii) which has introduced to them the "conventional Embrace"- which seems to be originated from the Owls.."

"... the Uratha (as the most spread form of werewolves call themselves) suffer from the curse of silver for the part their ancestors has taken in the murder of Father Wolf- one of the two spirits responsible for their creation. The other spirit, Luna, has used her Influence over her children and her sacred metal (a feat which may be used only be imperial spirits such as herself) in order to take her vengeance upon the betrayers..:"

".. the Free Council is the newest among the Orders, having founded only in the modern era. Standing on the border between a Nameless Order and a true political entity, it was made out of Apostates which were bound together out of a common agenda, turning the Diamond into a Pentacle. However, not all of the Nameless Orders has join together- many has remained neutral, following their own heart, and few have even joined forces to the Seers, under the service of the Exrach named as the Eye.."

"... if there is a force which makes this world into a World of Darkness, it is the God Machine. While there are many beings in this world which have god like powers and care nothing about humanity, the God Machine is the only one to work actively in order to maintain the status que, in which the supernatural is hidden and manipulates the world, while keeping a few points of light which gives hope for a better place. While it has human worshipers, it makes its own servants to fulfill its will-which are usually known as Angels.."

No one known who was the one to write the so called "Diaries of Darkness". Actually, most people aren't sure that the Diaries are real. They are usually treated as a rumor, an urban legend. According to the rumors, the Diaries are a scattered fragments of information which describe the world (to which they constantly refer to the "World of Darkness") with such an insight, that one could only wonder how someone even did such a work. The Diaries contain, if there is a truth in a rumors, not only historical facts, religious practices and political and social structures of the supernatural dwellers of the world (which is quite an achievement by itself), but also information about specific individuals- from powerful spirits and Gentry, up to the local leaders of the vampiric Covenants and the most influential werewolf Packs in a certain city.

No one knows how much information is covered by the Diaries, for no one ever found a complete copy (or the original).. Actually, it isn't even known if such a copy ever exist, for there is a real chance that the Diaries were not written by a single individual- after all, how one person could cover so much information- something that even the oldest vampires didn't achieved. Usually, when (if) someone finds a part of the Diaries, it is a fragment, an excerpt, a paragraph or two at best, and they come in every shape one could think about- from random scribbles in a book, up to a some advertisement in the mail or even a random search in Google, so finding in the form of a book is a rare event. Finding a full page of the Diaries is actually seen as finding a treasure, something which happen once in a life out of pure luck- or careful management.

There is a theory, which follows the rumors about the elusive Diaries. According to it, people don't simply "find" the scattered pieces of the information. No, someone wants you to know that information, and he/ she/ it gives it to you in order to forward some kind of agenda. No two people agree about what that "agenda" may be, but some of the most popular theories are world domination, experiment made by aliens, an occult matrix of some kind, an attempt to make the world into a better place or even just a way to spread chaos in the world. Those dark theories may be true or false, but there are people who make sure to spread them, for knowledge is not only power- but also a curse.

The problem with the Diaries is very simple- they are accurate. Too accurate. Even when they present a theory, that theory was not made by the writer, but recorded from the ones who thought about that. Not even once the Dairies made a mistake, and as such they are the closest thing to "truth" which has ever happened in the World of Darkness. They are reliable, and as such it could mean that by using their guise one could advance private agendas and make elaborate schemes, not to mention that by having a part of the Diaries, one could use the reputation of having it in order to justify his own lies. And if the political mind games are not worse enough, one must remember that knowledge gives despair, and that by known only a part of the truth someone who isn't careful could make some.. fatal mistakes. Finally, there are things which are better to be left unknown- after all, it is one thing to believe in God. It is totally another thing to know that He exist.

In the end, there is still the possibility that the Diaries are what most claim them to be- a rumor, a simple urban legend about what happens when you know too much. Yet, being a lie doesn't harm their power- after all, if you tell a lie enough times, it may become into truth, and by simply claiming you have the Dairies you may get exactly what they offer- a power and a curse. The only thing you need to do is to find someone to write some of the scary truths of the world for you, use them once or twice- and bang! You have the Diaries! This may actually be how the Diaries have came into existence, and by being the truth of the world, it may tell us something about the true nature of the World of Darkness- that in the end, the truth is simply the lie that most people believe in.

How to use the Diaries:

The Diaries of Darkness are, by essence, a combination of a Plot Device and Painting the Fourth Wall- it is a way to give your players an info they need about an upcoming plot right from the books. Because that giving such information may ruin the mystery mood in the game, the Diaries are given in a form which is wrapped in a mystery of its own. Unless you decide to make an whole chronicle around the Diaries, it is better to use them only in a once in a while, and before introducing them you should spread the rumors about them or after them, and making the finding of the fragment as weird as possible- one doesn't just find the Dairies. They simply show up randomly. If you really want to drive your players crazy, you could use the Diaries in order to give them some obscure information they don't need together with what they need, so they won't know which of the info is the important one.

On the other hand, one could make an whole Chronicle based around the Dairies, and in that case here are few suggestions about the possible "true power" behind them, or rumors which may be spread about them. Feel free to make your own!

Vampire: "It's all part of VII! Really! The vampires of VII use it in order to bring down the Masqueraded and tell everyone about our existence and weaknesses! Sure, you may ask about why should they also collect information about all other critters of our world, but it is very simple- after getting rid of us, they plan to take the others down. one by one"

Werewolf: "Most people think that the Hosts come only in the form of animals. This is false. The so called "Diaries" are also a form of an Host- one which was shaped by a powerful, ancient spirit in the days before the Gauntlet. The spirit was a spirit of information, and as it was hunted by Father Wolf, it spread its Essence into letters and ink. Than, the letters scattered, and as they gathered they created words. Be careful when you read those words, for those words crawl in the minds of the weak, possessing them and consuming them from the inside"

Mage: "The Diaries are a byproduct of the Awakening. When the Oracles built the Watchtowers, they didn't simply meant to allow us to Awaken, but to give the all world a way to fight the Lie of the Exrachs and their servants. Every time one of use Awaken, we are able to see the whole truth of the world, and by writing our name in the Watchtower, we connect the Fallen to the Supernal. Through that connection, the Oracles write their will in the Fallen, which shows up as a new fragment of the Diaries. You see those sentences? That is the world itself trying to Awake"

Promethean: "The one behind the Diaries was one of use- an Argentum, more exactly. She believed that if she'll gather the whole truth of out world, she would finally understand the truth behind humanity, and by doing so she'll become human herself. Don't ask me if she did it, because I have no clue. What I do know is that she got some help- from a qashmal. I have no clue from which choir it was- but I don't think it's important. It could break to world or enlighten the world, but in the end, it would change it- one way or another"

Changeling: "Stay away from those "Diaries"! I mean it! You want to know way? Well, let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, there was a proud Fae Lord, which one day found an humble woman servant. The Fae found the woman fair and wished to take her to his palace, yet for an ancient pledge he could not- for only those who agreed to go with him could be taken by him from behold the Hedge. Fortunately, the Lord was fair and beautiful, and could lure any man or woman to his kingdom- yet the woman refused to go with a person so arrogant, and she said that only when he would help 333,333,333,333,333,333 people she would go with him. The Fae agreed, with the condition that if he won't be able to do it while she was alive, he would claim her children. And so, the Fae wrote the Diaries, waiting for people to use them and get his "help" from them. Sure, you may think it has nothing to do with you- but first, let me tell you that woman's name- Eve"

Hunter: "It is a Conspiracy! Yes, a Conspiracy. I don't have an idea how they call themselves, but this is their way to maintain the Vigil- they gather all the information they can and spread it to as many people as possible. They also give that information to the monsters, in order to make them fight among themselves. Sure, you may think that it is a good thing- but let me ask you something: if they truly want to help humanity, why they give only some parts of the information and only to certain people? They have their own plans, and while I don't know what they are, I do know I don't like them. At all."

Geist: "You know what is the source of all knowledge? The Underworld. I mean, everything dies, and when it does its soul moves to the world of the dead. Sure, not everyone have a ghost, but enough people leave one in order to make the underworld into a great library, which is why our Ceremonies work the way they work. The Diaries are wrote by a long lineage of necromancers and Abmortals who abuse their power over the dead in order to get that knowledge. Sure, I don't like abusing ghosts for personal gain myself- but if they already did the process, it's not really a bad thing to use the product, right?"

Mummy: "The Diaries are true to their name, for they are the Diaries of a Sesha Hebsu. He wished to rebel against the will of our Judges by fighting against the lose of our Memories and record all which he ever knew about this world. Some claim him to be himself judges and found lacking by his Judge and that his heart was fed to the Devourer as a punishment, yet other tell that he is still wandering the world, awakening when his Cult calls him as he search after the memories he lost and recording new ones constantly- this is, my friends, the true punishment for arrogance"

Demon: "Do I even need to say it? It's the God Machine. The Diaries are a complicated form of an Infrastructure, with which it use in order to manipulate hundreds of beings in the same time. This complex occult matrix is the very essence of the God Machine, for it does exactly its prime mission- to maintain the status que. It give some points of light, while covering the rest with darkness. What I think is that because the God Machine is so focused through this Infrastructure, maybe controlling the stream of information given by the Diaries could allow one to control the God Machine itself- that is, unless it is what the God Machine wants you to think.."

Mortal: "No one knows it, but the Diaries is actually a secret code- something like the Da Vinci code. Sure, they have some good information in them, but the true secret is that the time that the fragments of the information are revealed, the type of the information found and where they are found is some part of a grand system used in order to communicate between different groups. They use us like chess pieces in order to fulfill their goals, while preparing for their grand invasion and taking over the whole world! Oh- you ask who are they? Simple. Aliens"
    Last edited by LostLight; 04-29-2014, 06:01 PM.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Cool concept.

However, I think the word you are looking for is Diary. A Dairy is a place where you buy milk and milk byproducts.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

damn auto correction! :P going to fix it now..

Edit- now I'm thinking about those people who would enter the thread, hoping to see an army of cows which seek to take over the world through milk :P
      Last edited by LostLight; 04-29-2014, 05:48 PM.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

I was thinking stink over milk, but either way I am a wee bit disappointed.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post

Edit- now I'm thinking about those people who would enter the thread, hoping to see an army of cows which seek to take over the world through milk :P
          I honestly thought it was going to be a line of dairy farms run by different major templates.

I mean, the Exalted forum has its "you have two cows" thing.

You know...

Vampire: You had two cows. Then you Frenzied. Whoops.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post

I'm not ashamed to say I was one.

Comment

I'm getting a real Gravity Falls feel from this.

Comment

well- I've never heard about Gravity Falls. Actually, the source for that is an old project of mine, which I've named after that name, in which I've summed all the setting information of WoD (both New and Classic) from an IC point of view, up to saying that "vampires rise with power from the potency of their blood" to "werewolves must maintain harmony between their flesh and spirit"

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post

I honestly thought it was going to be a line of dairy farms run by different major templates.

I mean, the Exalted forum has its "you have two cows" thing.

You know...

Vampire: You had two cows. Then you Frenzied. Whoops.
                  Changeling: You have two cows, and you can hear them crying for mommy.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Hunter: You have two cows. One is bait for the werewolf, the other is on loan to the Abbey.

Comment

I was seriously thinking back to the Moo Moo Farm, the hidden cow level from Diablo.

The mooing......THE MOOING..........THE HORRIBLY-DONE MOOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Infrastructure.

Rule #2: Never let the game-mechanics get in the way of a good story.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy254 View Post
                        Hunter: You have two cows. One is bait for the werewolf, the other is on loan to the Abbey.
                        Mage: You have two cows. You keep one to understand the significant forces at work within it's biology and structure, breaking down the meaning behind it's melodic mooing and strange color patterns. The second one is for milk.
                        Last edited by ArcaneArts; 05-02-2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Changeling: You had two cows. One of them belongs to your Fetch now and the other one is you.

Comment

Mummy: You think you remember some cows. Where did you leave them? It's been so long...

Comment

Sin-Eaters: You have two cows. You found them with the help of the ghosts of some dude's cult.

EDIT:

Mummy: You have two cows. One is your high priest....Wait, that can't be right.

EDIT:

Changeling: The mummy has two cows. You are totally his high priest.
                              Last edited by ArcaneArts; 05-02-2014, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X