X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primordial newcomer
    started a topic I know, stupid idea

I know, stupid idea

But would it be possible to have a game based on being an alien for chronicles of darkness? Like picking be the classic grey alien and such?

• nofather
    replied
    They might require a soul, depending on how literal the broken soul stuff is.

Chronicles is a fairly earth-centric and furthermore human-centric setting.

But there's plenty of things that can already exist as aliens, someone already pointed out changelings who had them as an option among, I think, the wizened, and homebrewing your own variant race isn't exactly hard, Mirrors already did it for the standard alien races.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

Seems like kind of a reverse Deviant. Aren’t Deviants people made into monsters by people? This sounds like aliens made into humans by aliens.
    That's true... but character I think of as a Deviant the most is Prototype's Alex Mercer and...

the Alex you play as was never human either. He's really the Blackwatch virus, having gained a stable form and absorbing Alex's memories as it killed him in the initial outbreak. One of my favourite parts of the game is how the virus is a better person than Alex ever was by the end of the main story. Alex chooses humanity even after the truth comes out.

So I guess the questions, if the alien infiltrators define themselves by their human memories and morals more than their extraterrestrial origins, is there a reason they couldn't be Deviants?

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Also those that want to phone home.

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    And then there are the curious, researcher, non-interference type. They also have to stay hidden.

Leave a comment:

• Maitrecorbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
    We have basically two types of typical aliens in fiction.

Those Cthulhian races, which could be added as antagonists in the second edition of Mummy. And the war-invaders of the worlds who have had the same limitations can create deviants to modify their survival.
    Another type of alien is those that have to stay on earth. Their struggle is the need to manage staying hidden and integrating to an alien (to them) culture.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Linus
    replied
    We have basically two types of typical aliens in fiction.

Those Cthulhian races, which could be added as antagonists in the second edition of Mummy. And the war-invaders of the worlds who have had the same limitations can create deviants to modify the world in favor of its survival.
    Last edited by Ben Linus; 05-28-2018, 04:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    That smells like an awesome idea for a Deviant to me...
    Seems like kind of a reverse Deviant. Aren’t Deviants people made into monsters by people? This sounds like aliens made into humans by aliens.

Leave a comment:

• Sidious
    replied
    There's a game line by Eden studios (Conspiracy X) that you could use to draw more inspiration from.

Leave a comment:

• milo v3
    replied
    The only issue I see with using changeling for this is ... well all the fairytale mechanics and the hedge and contracts and dreams and.... basically everything in the game after being abducted and having a durance. Would probably be easier just to a type of playable cryptid from Demon the Descent or just Demons because they can basically be aliens already, can have a sci-fi aesethic, and already fit into CofD lore.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
    You could go with a Becoming The Mask scenario - an ancient, conquest obsessed alien race is infiltrating Earth, taking on the appearance and mannerisms of certain people in order to ingratiate themselves into positions of power, influence and or simple access. However, to do this the alien mindset must be submerged entirely for the human persona. Only problem is, certain infiltrators find themselves not only awakening early, but only partially. Their human minds are conflicting with their originals, and the stronger they grow in their supernatural resistance trait, the stronger their original mind becomes. This process grants them greater power, but strangely humanity is tempting them to stay with one thing that they didn't have before: tranquility.

Sure, humanity is warlike, violent and xenophobic even amongst themselves, but for the aliens that's like a child's tantrum to genuine rage. They don't care, they don't worry, they don't sleep in their normal form. Yet these things are intoxicating to them, and being human is simply relaxing, exciting and, for a lack of a better term, simple. They like it far more than they do normally.

Problem is, just because the first wave is showing reluctance doesn't mean the rest of the species isn't willing to keep trying, and they are far less likely to try the subtle approach if they're aware of this development.
    That smells like an awesome idea for a Deviant to me...

Leave a comment:

• Taidragon
    replied
    You could go with a Becoming The Mask scenario - an ancient, conquest obsessed alien race is infiltrating Earth, taking on the appearance and mannerisms of certain people in order to ingratiate themselves into positions of power, influence and or simple access. However, to do this the alien mindset must be submerged entirely for the human persona. Only problem is, certain infiltrators find themselves not only awakening early, but only partially. Their human minds are conflicting with their originals, and the stronger they grow in their supernatural resistance trait, the stronger their original mind becomes. This process grants them greater power, but strangely humanity is tempting them to stay with one thing that they didn't have before: tranquility.

Sure, humanity is warlike, violent and xenophobic even amongst themselves, but for the aliens that's like a child's tantrum to genuine rage. They don't care, they don't worry, they don't sleep in their normal form. Yet these things are intoxicating to them, and being human is simply relaxing, exciting and, for a lack of a better term, simple. They like it far more than they do normally.

Problem is, just because the first wave is showing reluctance doesn't mean the rest of the species isn't willing to keep trying, and they are far less likely to try the subtle approach if they're aware of this development.

Leave a comment:

• Boneguard
    replied
    How about a subtle version of Alien Nation? Here you have alien enslaved by their own that landed on earth and became free and integrated into society. However discrimination, former slavelords and alien drugs are still an issue to deal with.

It could be rework in making them less obvious, but there's a couple to good nuggets to mine there.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    One of my head canons way back when was that Marco Singe's angels were actually transdimensional aliens the built the God-Machine as a "civilization builder" a technological singularity that could tap into occult physics our reality to elevate any species to their societal maximum. Of course, the angels used it on themselves and invaded our dimension to enslave humanity. That ended when the Atlantean Mages allied with Father Wolf to overthrow them. The Exarchs betrayed everyone and tried to use the God-Machine to become all-powerful and the Angels wounded Father Wolf so badly that he never properly recovered, but the Oracles were able to break the alien's control over the planet by giving the God-Machine two inputs: elevate humanity and elevate its own drones (also called angels). History was rewritten as the Supernal was ripped away from the Fallen World. The drone known as Morningstar fell in that moment, becoming the first Demon, and issuing one command to the God-Machine before its input circuitry was broken: create a civilization of Demons. Most of the First Angels are slaughtered as reality snaps back to what it would have been without their meddling, but one refugee ship survives bearing 42 aliens, barely children themselves, to the banks of the Nile river: the Shan'iatu.

It has been seriously blown to hell by various things published since then, but damn if it wasn't fun.

Leave a comment:

• 2ptTakrill
    replied
    You could always go the Superman route, the Aliens are on Earth because they have no home world to return to. This is it, make a life on Earth among humanity or die. This would place them somewhere between the Promethean drive to become human and the Demon need to blend in for survival. They would have the outsiders perspective of the human condition.
    Their antagonists could be forerunners of the force that destroyed their home world, come to Earth to repeat the process.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X