Product Request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Request

Hi there! Anyone else remember this product? World of Darkness: God-Machine Rules Update

I really liked it and would love to see similar treatments created/released for all the Onyx Path gamelines such Vampire, Mage, Werewolf, etc.

I would also love it if the information which has lately been contained within the appendix sections of supplement books (ie: disciplines/merits/devotions, etc) would be sold separately, either as an anthology comprising the appendices of several books together or as pamphlets released concurrently with the full book.

I am not interested in any of the other content and do not want to subsidize it with my dollars.

Is anyone else interested in such a release?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that although this product is available for free I would have gladly paid for it, and will pay for any similar future releases.
    Last edited by figurehead; 06-14-2018, 12:14 AM.

[Actual Play] Baltimore: The Kiddie Pool Saga

You're asking Onyx Path to put in extra layout and publishing work to sell alternate versions of their major Chronicles of Darkness books, using less of the content they already paid writers and artists to put into them, and presumably to sell them at a lower price. You're using as an example of what you want a free summary of the rules changeover from introducing the core of the second edition system, something that was a pretty nice show of goodwill for Onyx Path to put out (and serves the dual purpose of giving them something to point readers at if their monster corebooks don't have room for a particular core system without feeling like double-dipping). You end your request with an implication that it's motivated by dislike of a large proportion of the company's creative output and a feeling that it's not worth your money.

Is that right?

I'm just saying, if I were Rich Thomas, this proposal wouldn't look very profitable, nor very flattering.

(There's the Dark Era splitup books, but that's a bit different conceptually, given that each Era is a different conceptual and thematic pitch, and for a different gameline the reader might not own.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
      (There's the Dark Era splitup books, but that's a bit different conceptually, given that each Era is a different conceptual and thematic pitch, and for a different gameline the reader might not own.)
      I'm also pretty sure Rich said prior to the DE2 Kickstarter that this would not be done for any future Dark Eras books. I could be wrong about that though.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
      He/His Pronouns
      CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'd really prefer it if posters in this thread would just let me know if they would or would not be interested in such a product. So if such a product were available, would you buy it?

[Actual Play] Baltimore: The Kiddie Pool Saga

Comment

I'll play fair and directly answer the OP's question:

If it came free or next to free when bundled with the full length book I'd probably use it as a PDF now and then just because it would be a smaller file and easier to quick-scan for mechanics. If not, I'd probably prefer to buy the full length book.

Comment

Wasting time for all of us here, but, uh, no.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
            Work Blog Coming Soon
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Buy it? No. If it was available as a free PDF like with the GMC rules update? Yeah, I'd download it. But if I'm going to be paying for it anyway, I'd rather buy the full product. Also, as I strongly prefer the mechanics to be closely integrated with the setting, I would be pretty displeased if they started writing every book to have the mechanics in their own separate section to acomodate something like this.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                Buy it? No. If it was available as a free PDF like with the GMC rules update? Yeah, I'd download it. But if I'm going to be paying for it anyway, I'd rather buy the full product. Also, as I strongly prefer the mechanics to be closely integrated with the setting, I would be pretty displeased if they started writing every book to have the mechanics in their own separate section to acomodate something like this.
                Likewise. Setting and lore is the strength of CofD. I started playing these games because Promethean: the Created was so unique. The mechanics are useful and inspiring, but I am much more interested in seeing how the setting develops so that I can tell new stories.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                He/His Pronouns
                CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Not for new material (if that makes any sense). But i wouldnt say no to a made for efficiency, no art, rules and tools compendium. Ideally on line so that it can be updated when you have new material. Maybe something in the matter of DnD beyond.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
                  Currently playing: Tomb of Annihilation (DnD5e) - Thulwir, Aasimar Circle of Dream Druid.

Comment

I'd love to have a rules compendium for each splat, and would certainly purchase it for the game lines I play.

Comment

I'm with others, it is a reasonable play aid, but I wouldn't buy such a thing seperate from the books it supports. I also just make similar things myself right now by copy/pasting content from the pdfs.

A DnD Beyond like product I could get behind though. Particularly if they found a way to make it not cost an extra purchase like Beyond currently does.

Backer #2010

Comment

I usually make my own for every game. But I’d appreciate something along those lines. Maybe a compilation of all the current mechanics per game line. But that would be more fitting Later as the content increases per product.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOwl View Post
                          I usually make my own for every game. But I’d appreciate something along those lines. Maybe a compilation of all the current mechanics per game line. But that would be more fitting Later as the content increases per product.
                          Kind of like an SRD for the storytelling system? That’s something I’d probably pay a little money for.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Something like that yeah. I could see it being really useful for all of mages spells and it’s spell casting mechanic. A bit so little grimoire. The core books take up on space and all.

Comment

No I wouldn't. The GMC update was useful because it updated a lot of core rules, therefore having a separate section made a lot of sense. The stuff in non-core books isn't generally that useful in actual play where I need a quick reference.

Also, the mechanics are created in conjunction with the setting. A purely mechanical appendix is therefore subsidised off the people who paid for the whole thing; it wouldn't exist if the setting didn't. I'm not all that keen to see person with the pure mechanics supplement still benefit from a setting they didn't pay for. That would though depend on the exact price, and I wouldn't exactly loose sleep over it.

Comment

Working...
                              X