The primary pros and cons of the splats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The primary pros and cons of the splats

Basically I'm asking about what each splat excels at and is...Well not bad, but lacking in. For example, werewolves are best at combat and have amazing teamwork, however, they do have a hard time socially and managing their enemies.

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
    however, they do have a hard time socially and managing their enemies.
    Do they, though? You can make ridiculously good social werewolves, it's not even difficult. And 'managing their enemies' is a very broad concept.

If you listed silver and death rage as cons, sure, but how broad and ambiguous are we going here?

Comment

Vampires are masters of social manipulation and structures based on strong wants, taking advantage of the dark, and generally finding neat ways to become eldritch abombinations.

Werewolves are masters of controlling the environment, denying their opponents resources, and generally taking down things much bigger than them-demigod god-killers will do that.

Mages are masters of metaphysical analysis, long-view upheaval and responses, and generally cheating the rules of any form of engagement given enough perspective.

Prometheans are masters of Dealing With ShitTM socially, violently, and environmentally, working out the resources they need to get on by, and generally being unstoppable survivalists.

Changelings are masters of stacking the deck, manipulating trust and distrust into favourable support structures, and generally being slippery bastards.

Hunters are masters of community building, pulling deperately more out of every situation that calls for it, and generally providing new definitions for overkill in all of their forms.

Sin-Eaters are masters of bringing back what was lost, being eldritch abombinations, and generally knowing what you did last summer for the last hundred summers.

Mummies are masters of controlling civilization, effecting long-term societal change and sudden area changing events, and generally having more than you ever will to start with.

Demons are masters of background dealings, radically changing the contexts of the world around them, and generally overthrowing the systems that you casually rely on.

Beasts are masters of community building, controlling/being the environement for the defense of the groups, and generally making you realize the lies society lives on and maybe also how to make them better.

Deviants are masters of indisclosed capabilites, being god knows what, and generally being subject to any number of current NDAs.

That last one is subject to change.
      Last edited by ArcaneArts; 06-20-2018, 01:27 AM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Sticking more to across the board, narrow focus. Yes, a member of the Ordo Dracul can overcome parts of sunlights weakness, but there's limitations and they're just one group, so it stays a con.

Vampire:
        Pro: Powers. Addict others through blood. Things that feel/taste good seem to feel/taste inhumanly good. Immortality.
        Con: Sunlight is a pain. Fire destroys (more than usual). Sometimes you lose your temper, big. Humanity drains away. Need increasingly tricky blood. Don't really have a day life.

Werewolf:
        Pro: Powers. Perfected senses (if blinded before First Change, your eyes will grow back). Really fast healing. Access to another world. Get acknowledged for great deeds in a real way.
        Cons: Silver is a pain. Religious conflict. Lots of enemies. Death rage. Increasingly tricky dietary requirements.

Mage:
        Pro: Powers. Pretty organized/established social structures. Have seen the truth of the world. Access to multiple other worlds. Killer at investigating mysteries. Passively detect most (activated) magics. Can theoretically archmage.
        Cons: Seeing the truth doesn't mean you can't fall for lies anymore. Paradox. Interest can turn into obsession. You're in the Fallen World.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
          Werewolf:
          Pro: Powers. Perfected senses (if blinded before First Change, your eyes will grow back). Really fast healing. Access to another world. Get acknowledged for great deeds in a real way.
          Cons: Silver is a pain. Religious conflict. Lots of enemies. Death rage. Increasingly tricky dietary requirements.
          I'm sorry, this must be said:

Also con: Can't polka properly in Urhan or Urshul. Challenging in Gauru due to being a raging death machine.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Here's another thread with a similar subject that you might want to read.
            As per my own post in that thread, I'd like to add that being good at combat is a vampire's largest strength compared to other splats. Including werewolves, if you compare mid to high level characters.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Thanks @Tessie.

nofather sorry for late reply. Basically I mean In gameplay, through a narrow scope, such as the werewolves black rage and vampires needing blood so much, but being able to use it for many powers

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                Thanks @Tessie.

nofather sorry for late reply. Basically I mean In gameplay, through a narrow scope, such as the werewolves black rage and vampires needing blood so much, but being able to use it for many powers
                Getting that granular would mean being here all day and invoking a lot of arguments.

Not saying you shouldn't, just clarifying what you might be getting into.

Comment

Ahh ok. Well how about general weaknesses and strengths, along with the ups and downs (if there are any) of being that monster

Comment

I can only really speak for vampires, so here we go.

Pros: Immortality, Better Night Vision, No real limit on what powers they may develop given time, the time to binge watch every show on their Netflix list (comes with immortality), the ability to be explosive killing machines at the drop of a hat, their likelihood of running any curse into the ground that's thrown on them before it can kill them, very hard to kill on most occasions, can eventually know someone in most parts of society.

Cons: Immortality, bad sun and fire allergies, little to no ability to interact with ephemeral entities whatsoever, generally can't outlast opponents, being spiritually dead inside, may or may not lack an actual soul to speak of, their likelihood of turning into murderous killing machines when angered too much, can easily be killed with the right tools, their greatest enemy (the strix) is practically untouchable by anything they can do, have a bad habit of taking century long naps to find everyone they love is dead, and they may or may not be eldritch abominations.

Comment

Thank you Ever Professional. Would you say they have any disadvantages in terms of combat? From what I know, they are actually quite capable of taking on werewolves and are very tough

Comment

Based on what we've seen from mechanical testing in combat, while vampires can deal a lot of damage, they have a big problem with Vitae usage. Their powers use a lot of Vitae for bonuses that work for one turn, that plus the potential for needing healing can mean they don't keep up with more energy-efficient monsters, combat-wise. But in a story, it keeps the PCs hungry and focused on feeding as an aspect of the game.

That's not counting things like fire, stakes being an 'instant win,' improvised sorceries and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                          Based on what we've seen from mechanical testing in combat, while vampires can deal a lot of damage, they have a big problem with Vitae usage. Their powers use a lot of Vitae for bonuses that work for one turn, that plus the potential for needing healing can mean they don't keep up with more energy-efficient monsters, combat-wise. But in a story, it keeps the PCs hungry and focused on feeding as an aspect of the game.

That's not counting things like fire, stakes being an 'instant win,' improvised sorceries and so forth.
                          Curious but does that take into consideration feeding during combat? The thing with vamps is that they can technically refuel anywhere and if they are running low they would have little motive to say no to try to refuel on the guys they are trying to kill anyway, especially if they are in a frenzy which makes it easier to do. I'm just wondering if that actually was looked on in the test, because to me on paper that is an advantage vamps have for a majority of splats in that they can get what they need right there in the battle (Well at least for most foes, they probably need some sorceries prepared or crazy devotions to do so against say ephermeral enemies, which Is something unique and unavailable to the splat as a whole)

Comment

Ahh ok, so vampires really, REALLY have to worry about resource management, because even making it alive in combat could just end with them starved and giving into the beast.

What about prometheans themselves? Like is there truly a pro to being a promethean that ISN'T a centimani

Comment

Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
                              Curious but does that take into consideration feeding during combat? The thing with vamps is that they can technically refuel anywhere and if they are running low they would have little motive to say no to try to refuel on the guys they are trying to kill anyway, especially if they are in a frenzy which makes it easier to do. I'm just wondering if that actually was looked on in the test, because to me on paper that is an advantage vamps have for a majority of splats in that they can get what they need right there in the battle (Well at least for most foes, they probably need some sorceries prepared or crazy devotions to do so against say ephermeral enemies, which Is something unique and unavailable to the splat as a whole)
                              Yes, it was. The feed attack is mechanically inefficient. If you just make it as an attack, you can only get 1 Vitae, even in Frenzy. If you want more, you have to grapple, maintain control in the grapple, and use the feed move, which caps the amount of Vitae you can get by your Blood Potency.

It's great if you're attacking a mortal. It's not great if you're attacking something powerful, including other vampires. I've actually had this play out in vampire games.

Primordial newcomer I don't know enough about Prometheans to get into it, but I do know it isn't a good situation for them, the purpose of the game is to stop being a Promethean, to become a whole person, and there's a lot that encourages it.
                              Last edited by nofather; 06-24-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X