The primary pros and cons of the splats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

What about prometheans themselves? Like is there truly a pro to being a promethean that ISN'T a centimani
    Um yes there are advantages for being a Prommie. While they have stuff that suck it's just about stuff around them, not about necessarily about themselves.

I mean just from what I remember.

1. They don't suffer wound penalties, that's pretty good.
    2. They can spend pyros to endure blows by canceling damage, another point.
    3. Can spend pyros to add a +1 to any attribute, regardless of restriction, this can be for momentary things but also for extended actions. So broader, while weaker but potentially more useful to what vamps can do with Vitae.
    4. They get 1 free revive, meaning that with them in the first place being very hard to kill now you can have them coming back for a round 2, likely now there favor.
    5. Nature of Alembics. They are a scene long, meaning you benefit from the entire combat, also note the powerscaling, that if you pay the cost for the most powerful ability you also gain access to the abilties below for free with no cost, all on top of the passive you have. Meaning you can very well spam, alot when it comes down to combat focused alembics.

Cons- there is a negative for spending alot of pyros, as it quickens the area around you and forms a Wasteland. Have a bunch of prommies spamming as much as they can and there's even a chance a Firestorm will form. Though it would take a bit to get to it. Also it's relatively not easy to obtain pyros and you normally get it gradually so whether you can spend all you have or not is something you don't.consider until your really desperate since doesn't always come in supply

- using a lot of their powers require to show disfigurements, and that leads to disquiet. When trying to keep that hidden for Alembics has you taking some nasty conditions so it's really having you choose between two very bad options.

That's basically what I remember for the moment, anyone can correct me if I got anything wrong. But notice that the cons they have hasn't to do whether there weak or not, but it relates to the consequences of what they do. Being a Centamani or not makes no difference to what I said above, this is something all Created have. What Centamani has different is that they just have a unique Transmutation they can use others can't pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

Yes, it was. The feed attack is mechanically inefficient. If you just make it as an attack, you can only get 1 Vitae, even in Frenzy. If you want more, you have to grapple, maintain control in the grapple, and use the feed move, which caps the amount of Vitae you can get by your Blood Potency.

It's great if you're attacking a mortal. It's not great if you're attacking something powerful, including other vampires. I've actually had this play out in vampire games.
      I guess it is. Whether it's hard or not to maintain a grapple depends on the skill set of the paticualar vampire, it's not something they can all do. I think I was thinking the scarred condition would help more in a way but after rechecking I guess not.

Primordial newcomer I don't know enough about Prometheans to get into it, but I do know it isn't a good situation for them, the purpose of the game is to stop being a Promethean, to become a whole person, and there's a lot that encourages it.
      yeah but the reasons for it isn't really because of their powers or how they are in combat. They can be really scary in combat, is just out of that it's nearly impossible to form a healthy social life as they destroy whatever they have or could create with them just being them.

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
        Ahh ok, so vampires really, REALLY have to worry about resource management, because even making it alive in combat could just end with them starved and giving into the beast.
        Put it like this: vampires get no free resource recovery over time and (contrary to werewolves, ironically) have a direct core mechanical incentive to maintain and stick to a territory with a secure stronghold and a means of actively generating those resources. They're built for the long game, and their means of handling short bursts of bad news are sufficiently limited that it taxes their stockpiles to handle emergencies like that in a sustained manner.

The flip side of that, admittedly, is that their common Disciplines include three always-on stat boosts that have direct relevance to violence, mobility, and survival — a character with multiple dots in Celerity, Resilience, and Vigor is going to be better at getting out of a bad situation and going to ground without a huge Vitae investment.

What about prometheans themselves? Like is there truly a pro to being a promethean that ISN'T a centimani
        Prometheans who raise their Azoth and don't relish the prospect of exploding with mutagen on a weekly basis tend to effectively run in power-save mode when they aren't working on something that requires them to shift a lot of the Divine Fire, which, combined with the fact that electricity refills both Health and Pyros, gives them a differently-scaled counterpart to Demon's going loud.

They only have to spend resources on power development for permanence, and even without spending Pyros they still acquire a suite of persistent bonuses, and many of their effects scale with Azoth; a character with even a single Refinement Furnace is particularly tricky to deal with because of this.

Resident Lore-Hound
        Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post

Cons- there is a negative for spending alot of pyros, as it quickens the area around you and forms a Wasteland. Have a bunch of prommies spamming as much as they can and there's even a chance a Firestorm will form. Though it would take a bit to get to it. Also it's relatively not easy to obtain pyros and you normally get it gradually so whether you can spend all you have or not is something you don't.consider until your really desperate since doesn't always come in supply
          Well, as long as you're in a City, both healing up and refueling Pyros are pretty easy - just find something electric (power outlet can be enough), and do the things you're not supposed to do, e.g. touch the wires, put a fork in it etc. As long as you don't just cause a short-out, you get an enduring source of Pyros.

"Rebuke the Shroud" is something I want to call special attention to, because it basically means the Promethean becomes undying until his goal is fullfilled, even being topped out on Aggravated damage doesn't stop them - and it lasts a whole scene. Better yet, if they manage to get a source of electricity within a few turns afterward achieving the goal, they can still save themselves. In a fight, this makes them as much if not more of a lasting opponent than a Gaoru-Form Uratha. Titan-only, yes, but since Ferrum is a common Refinement, and Calcifying is a thing, it wouldn't be totally out of the ordinary to come across Created with the proper Alembic.

Oh, and Prometheans occasionally get visions and Quashmallim support in dealing with their state of suck. Opaque help, sure, but better than nothing, so I just wanted to throw this out there.
          Last edited by Wormwood; 07-21-2018, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X