Illithid The Flaying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illithid The Flaying

Horrible monster reproduces by using human thralls. Bow to the establishment (big brain) or rebel. Sounds like you could make a whole splat off this. Question is could you make a fansplat without wotc sueing you into 3rd world poverty?

Originally posted by ThriceHonored View Post
    Horrible monster reproduces by using human thralls. Bow to the establishment (big brain) or rebel. Sounds like you could make a whole splat off this. Question is could you make a fansplat without wotc sueing you into 3rd world poverty?
    I think that name is copyrighted or trademarked, so you can't do that.

Using the concept with different names should be fine, though, since there will obviously be background changes to supply a different setting.
    Last edited by Vent0; 07-09-2018, 10:40 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Uhhh there are no Illithids... we call them Chulorviah...

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Fair point

would Illithid work for a Beast concept?

terrible Inscrutable, has mind power's, eats brains.... no idea what lessons it would teach... not sure I want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
          Fair point

would Illithid work for a Beast concept?

terrible Inscrutable, has mind power's, eats brains.... no idea what lessons it would teach... not sure I want to.

During the kickstarter with the first set of rules presented, I put together an illithid concept. It hinged a lot on the You Are Meat nightmare, which I don't think made it into the book.

I'm going to go easy this time: Mind Flayer. I could go a couple of different ways here. Makara makes sense because they live in the Underdark and have tentacles. However, I'm going to go with Namtaru. I find the idea of slimy tentacles sliding over my head and shoulders, questing for my brains to be pretty revolting. It also gives me access to their Birthright. Mind Flayer can inflict Confusion on its victim once per scene. (That's my way of translating some of their psychic power.)

What does a Mind Flayer hunger for? Braaaaaains! Well, yes, but what else do they do? They enslave beings in order to maintain the level of comfort they've become accustomed to. So, I'm giving this one a Hunger for Power. Ruling and dominating are bread and butter to the Mind Flayer.

You Are Meat is a necessity for this Horror. Nothing is more delicious to it than when it gains another Thrall.

Finally, a lesson. Originally, the lesson the Mind Flayer was supposed to teach was the power of collective action. Get enough people working for the same goal, and nothing is impossible. However, its Hunger has perverted the drive of the Mind Flayer. It would rather rule over everything than teach humanity anything.

Comment

Working...
          X