Spirits Influences

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirits Influences

Hi! Simple question: The Spirit can use its Influence to raise some Attribute dots related to its sphere? Because the first level, Strengthen, says something about raise Structure or Health, but nothing about Attribute:

The entity can enhance its sphere of
    influence; it can add to the Defense of
    a loved one, make an emotion stronger,
    an animal or plant healthier, or an
    object more robust, gaining the entity’s
    Rank in Health or Structure. This Influence
    can shift the Anchor, Resonant or
    Infrastructure Condition to Open for
    its duration. The cost is one Essence.

A permanent stat increase? Probably not. Temporary? Perhaps, but I'd go for specific dice pools rather than whole Attributes or Skills. A violence spirit might Strengthen someone's Strength + Brawl rolls to punch someone, but not a Strength + Expression roll to impress someone with physical fitness. On the other hand, it might be able to Strengthen someone's Dexterity + Firearms rolls to shoot someone, but again not a Wits + Firearms roll to assess a gun's maintenance conditions. (And of course, all this rests on Strengthen going beyond RAW and working on dice pools in the first place!)

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

A good metric might be to look at it similar to Specialties - relatively narrow bands of focus - possibly combined with Interdisciplinary Specialty. Like in 21C Hermit's example, a Violence Spirit might Strengthen "Physical Violence", so all rolls involving Physical Violence get the bonus (and ones that aren't violent or physical, don't). A straight-up Strength Spirit might be able to generally boost Strength, but I'd still limit it to rolls, instead of a direct Attribute boost.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Understood. The question is because one of my players ask about some Magic item, imbued or Fetish to increase his physical tests. I thought the Influence sphere related at level Strenghten (level 1). So, the Second part is to make this permanent. With Influence rule, duration Permanent only Spirit levei 5 can do that, even to provide a simples bônus (+4 Influence level to do Permanent), right?

Comment

Originally posted by winchester View Post
          Understood. The question is because one of my players ask about some Magic item, imbued or Fetish to increase his physical tests. I thought the Influence sphere related at level Strenghten (level 1). So, the Second part is to make this permanent. With Influence rule, duration Permanent only Spirit levei 5 can do that, even to provide a simples bônus (+4 Influence level to do Permanent), right?
          Strictly speaking, yes. You may want to allow some hacks or workarounds to get beyond that limit (increased Essence costs, Resistant damage, Willpower costs, requiring certain Conditions, etc.), but be warned that this may have unforeseen implications for the other Influence abilities.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
          X