Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soldier: The Valorous (Army Men-themed New WoD/CofD fan game)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier: The Valorous (Army Men-themed New WoD/CofD fan game)

Who here remembers the Army Men? Those little green plastic soldier dudes that have been around since the 1950's and are still going strong today. They are one of the quintessential toys of an American boy's childhood and you could fit them into any imagination-based scenario you wanted, anything you could think of.

Hell, even if you weren't that imaginative, you could still go out in the backyard and blow them up with firecrackers....

Alright, this is a fan-game for First Edition New World of Darkness (mainly because I am more familiar with 1e) that is sort of a tongue-in-cheek game that could also be theoretically functional within the setting (similar to the fan-game Senshi: The Merchandising from the Classic World of Darkness) where the PC's are essentially living Army Men and similar toy soldiers, tapping into the collective subconscious of Humankind's own hopes and dreams of valor, glory, and heroism to fight against the forces of darkness and evil in the hopes of restoring some semblance of truth and justice to the World of Darkness.

It is heavily inspired by the themes discussed in Changeling: The Dreaming, Hunter: The Reckoning, Senshi: The Merchandising, Hunter: The Vigil, and Princess: The Hopeful.

The main theme of Soldier is Sacrifice, and the main mood of the game is one of dark adventure and unlikely heroism.

Soldiers (also known as the Valorous) are often randomly selected from the ranks of the ordinary people who have dreams of being something greater than themselves, whether it be the kid playing superhero in the backyard or the twenty-something mall ninja who fantasizes about being a commando, they all get the Call from a mysterious entity known only as the High Command to go out and fight the myriad evils that plague this world that they live in. The truth of the supernatural is revealed to them and they choose to make a stand (I'll admit, I stole this one from Hunter: The Reckoning) and they undergo a spiritual and metaphysical process known as The Imagining, which gives them their new abilities and directives.

Soldiers need not be based on just the common World War II and Cold War-era G.I.'s most commonly represented among Army Men toys, although these are the most common Soldiers.

Soldiers can also take on the archetypes of any classic warrior or hero whether it be Cowboys & Native Americans, Civil War troops, Roman legionaries, Samurai, Ninja, Medieval Knights, Vikings, Celtic tribesmen, Aztec warriors, 18th Century Pirates, Revolutionary War-era Minutemen, or even Sci-Fi/Fantasy archetypes such as Spacemen, Colonial Marines, or D&D-style Adventurers. Soldiers come in many different styles and archetypes as they give their all to make the World of Darkness a little less dark.

Alright, I don't have much else as I just came up with this idea on the fly but I do want to dedicate myself to the development of this idea and see if we can make a full fan game out of it. This is very much a work in progress and fan input is welcome.

Some ideas I had for general character creation is as follows.

The main five splats are called Detachments (similar to Clans or Auspices)
    The main morality stat is called Duty and is based on devoting yourself to a cause and making sacrifices for the greater good
    Powers are called Techniques and are fueled by an energy called Chakra
    Instead of Blood Potency or Wyrd to measure the capacity of your powers, you have Rank, each level corresponding to a common military rank.

As for factions, I am unsure if I want to do another five splats to accompany the Detachments or if I should do like Hunter: The Vigil and have a tier system of factions (Squads, Platoons, Battalions) similar to the Cell/Compact/Conspiracy system of Vigil.

Inspirational materials are listed below.

Video Games & RPG's
    Army Men
    Call of Duty
    Dynasty Warriors
    Samurai Warriors
    Twilight 2000
    RECON

Movies & TV
    Toy Story
    Small Soldiers
    Deadliest Warrior (2009-2011)
    Red Dawn (1984 Original)
    The Delta Force
    Aliens
    Tour of Duty (1987-1990)
    The A-Team (1983-1987)
    M*A*S*H (1972-1983)

Books & Print Media
    The Indian In The Cupboard
    Soldier of Fortune Magazine (1975-2016)

Other Inspirations
    Historical Reenactment
    Miniature Wargaming
    Last edited by Camilla; 07-12-2018, 07:11 PM.

Who or what are they fighting against?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
      Who or what are they fighting against?

Still working on that;

Comment

So, are they actually toys? Like, do the people chosen become action/plastic figures?

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post
          So, are they actually toys? Like, do the people chosen become action/plastic figures?

Probably. It would add to the humor effect of it all, actually.

Or maybe they're just the spirits of warriors reborn and given powers, not sure yet.

Still torn between if I want to go full-on silly or make it a serious game of sorts.

Comment

I mean, turning into a figure is not necessarily silly. It could be pretty horrific actually, even with a bit of tongue-in-cheekness. Turning to plastic, having a limited range of motion, possibly a change in scale.

Personally I prefer the transformed version since it is a very different thing from other CoD gamelines. The idea being that since these are embodiments of the gestalt concept of a soldier that the stronger imagination of children has caused the effects to be more toy focused than real soldiers.

Failing in your duty could turn you more toy like.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

This is giving me some very Jonathan Coultan Creepy Doll vibes. Looks like a fun project.

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post
                I mean, turning into a figure is not necessarily silly. It could be pretty horrific actually, even with a bit of tongue-in-cheekness. Turning to plastic, having a limited range of motion, possibly a change in scale.

Personally I prefer the transformed version since it is a very different thing from other CoD gamelines. The idea being that since these are embodiments of the gestalt concept of a soldier that the stronger imagination of children has caused the effects to be more toy focused than real soldiers.

Failing in your duty could turn you more toy like.

I like that idea a lot, actually. And I will be borrowing it, if that's okay with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Camilla View Post

I like that idea a lot, actually. And I will be borrowing it, if that's okay with you.
                  Please do, thats why I posted it.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Originally posted by Camilla View Post

Probably. It would add to the humor effect of it all, actually.

Or maybe they're just the spirits of warriors reborn and given powers, not sure yet.

Still torn between if I want to go full-on silly or make it a serious game of sorts.
                    The main roadblock to being serious if going for astic toys would be the total inabilitt to talk to normal humans as equals. Youre going to need to solve that.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
                    DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
                    Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Almarck View Post

The main roadblock to being serious if going for astic toys would be the total inabilitt to talk to normal humans as equals. Youre going to need to solve that.

Indeed I will. I need to do some thinking on this

Comment

Why is their energy called Chakra?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                          Why is their energy called Chakra?

It's a working name, I needed a title that wasn't already taken.

Comment

Maybe make the magic name nationalism? Like their love for whatever they defend is so big it's made manifest

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                              Maybe make the magic name nationalism? Like their love for whatever they defend is so big it's made manifest

Eh, "nationalism" is a loaded term. Especially these days. Assuming you're not trolling though, I do get the concept behind what you are describing.

Maybe call it 'Patriotism" or "Valor"?

Comment

Working...
                              X