Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Draws You To Chronicles of Darkness/World of Darkness?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Draws You To Chronicles of Darkness/World of Darkness?

While this is technically World of Darkness-related, since it relates to both Classic World of Darkness and Chronicles of Darkness, I figured I'd put it here because I started with New World of Darkness. If the mods feel like it belongs in General Discussion, feel free to move it there.

Recently, ArcaneArts and I got into a bit of an argument and they brought up good points that made me re-evaluate some things about myself. This is NOT an attack on them, all I am saying is that they made some good points and got me thinking about some stuff. I was in the wrong and they were in the right, and I will own up to that.

Why do I even bother with World of Darkness anymore? I have to extensively Rule Zero the fuck out of it just to be able to stomach it, and my constant complaints over the concept of personal horror has earned the ire of the majority of the people on this forum and elsewhere. And for that, I am truly sorry.

But I do want to give these games and their themes a proper second chance and change the way I see and do things around here.

The point I am trying to make is that I am trying to re-evaluate what I like about World of Darkness and give certain themes a second chance, as well as get input from others on here as to why they like the Chronicles of Darkness/World of Darkness setting or its themes and style. It'll help me understand this whole thing better and I will be keeping an open mind for the very first time in many years.

So, why did I get involved with World of Darkness?

It is a question worth asking. While I do like psychological horror in some media (such as Evangelion), I just never cared for it in gaming and bad experiences with others both online and IRL has colored my perception of the very concept of personal horror. But intellectually, I know it's NOT pretentious pseudo-Goth wangsting despite past perceptions. There is a lot more to it than that, but it does raise the question as to why I was attracted to a game whose themes never appealed to me in the first place. I should give these themes a second chance.

As for political intrigue, well that is one part of the World of Darkness I actually do like, so I won't go on there.

I suppose we should go back to 2010, when I was in high school and I first got involved in this fandom. I'm not going to discuss my conflicts on the old White Wolf Forums because old forum drama is NOT germane to this discussion and I'd rather not bring it up. But I will discuss what attracted me to White Wolf's properties.

When I was sixteen, D&D 4E had been out for a year and I was not a fan of it. I wanted something different, something more modern. I had heard about Vampire: The Masquerade from my Dad (who played it casually back in the 1E days) and I had played the Hunter: The Reckoning PS2 game, so the idea of a modern RPG setting with monsters really appealed to me, and so I started doing research about the games on Wikipedia and Google, and within a few months I bought the corebooks for WoD and Requiem. Since then, I have been involved with the World of Darkness and Chronicles of Darkness fandoms.

Although I have had a rough time in this fandom and stuff like V5 and Beast: The Primordial do not appeal to me (although I am starting to like Requiem 2e) I still find myself drawn to these games and I don't know why. Maybe I can adapt and accept the default themes to a certain extent, in fact that is what I aim to do. But it's high time I give these ideas a chance and a fresh new take on them instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

But enough about me, the main question I am asking you all is this: What draws YOU to Chronicles of Darkness (and World of Darkness, for that matter)?

What do you find appealing about it?
    Which game lines are your favorites?
    What drew you into the games?
    ​How long have you been in the fandom?
    Last edited by Camilla; 07-13-2018, 09:24 AM.

Why World of Darkness? Most of my players played it back in the day. So we have an instant understanding what I mean when I reference something in the metaplot. I don't have to explain how things work in the world because they are already familiar with that. I only have to tell them what I've changed. So, I like the familiarity of it. We'll get there in CoD, but it'll take years to get to the point we are with WoD.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
      Why World of Darkness? Most of my players played it back in the day. So we have an instant understanding what I mean when I reference something in the metaplot. I don't have to explain how things work in the world because they are already familiar with that. I only have to tell them what I've changed. So, I like the familiarity of it. We'll get there in CoD, but it'll take years to get to the point we are with WoD.

So you like World of Darkness because of the familiarity of the metaplot? Interesting.

While I personally don't care for the metaplot, I can understand why it has some appeal due to common familiarity among the players.

Comment

Originally posted by Camilla View Post

So you like World of Darkness because of the familiarity of the metaplot? Interesting.

While I personally don't care for the metaplot, I can understand why it has some appeal due to common familiarity among the players.

Yeah, it's a blend of the comfort of something you know plus the ease of having a shorthand among players.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post

Yeah, it's a blend of the comfort of something you know plus the ease of having a shorthand among players.

I get you. I sort of prefer the toolkit approach of CofD (always found metaplot to be too intrusive) but I can definitely see the advantages to it that you are speaking of.

Comment

RE: Why WoD/CofD?

I have several reasons! This a bit of an essay, so I thank you in advance for your patience.

Genre: Considering that I am posting on a gaming fan board, it should be no surprise that I am a HUGE nerd. As such, I love science fiction, fantasy, and especially horror. Not just any one particular narrow definition, but the gamut ranging from Lovecraftian cosmic horror to the intensely personal, from emotional dread, to visceral repulsion, to darkly comedic. The Storyteller/Storytelling system is a good framework to explore concepts of fear, death, monstrosity, the very concept of evil itself. Its also a good space to contrast all that awful with a sense of normalcy, hope, and redemption. I like telling story's about that darkness and the glimmer of light within, so much so that sensibility creeps in even when I am playing technically non-horror games (you should see what my Supers games look like!).

Familiarity: Full disclosure. I have been playing White Wolf/Onyx Path since the release of first edition Werewolf the Apocalypse. since that time, I have Been Storyteller or Player in games for every edition and every variation of the Storyteller system (with the exception of Scion, more to lack of opportunity than anything else). I know how the system works, whats its good for, where it can be modified, where it can be pared back and what types of play styles it works best for. There are few other systems I know as well or a thoroughly (although d20 OGL systems are a close second).

System: I have lovingly described Storyteller, across different versions as "RPG's for Theatre Majors". This is a feature, not a bug. In most systems, I am going to spend a session, maybe two explaining to a brand new player the character creation, the mechanics, and setting. In Storyteller I can do all of that in two hours, and spend the rest of the time talking about the character (the important stuff). I always found a pleasing balance of mechanics that give the events of the game some weight, but not so much you need an calculator and a flowchart to figure out what is going on. I also feel that mechanics should reinforce genre, which is something I truly love about the Violence-not-Action style of the second edition CofD rules set. While there is no such thing as perfect game mechanics, the system does what I need it to do, so I am satisfied.

Setting: Over the years, the writers and artists that have worked on the various "Worlds" of Darkness have built a fantastic depth of story and ideas. The aesthetic of a darker,more mysterious, more fantastic version of the world outside your window has always been a hook I appreciate and can easily communicate to a prospective player. Even if I don't stick to an established metaplot, there is enough material there that I can pick and choose what I want to use (and saves me the work of writing an entirely new setting myself).

As far as any advice I can offer, I always ask the question" What is the story I want to tell?" Talk to your players about the story they want to play in. I find when telling stories about strange powers, mysterious events, and elaborate conspiracies, horror creeps in at the edges, even if it is not a major (or even a minor) theme.
            Last edited by Reighnhell; 07-13-2018, 08:25 PM.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
            The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
            Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
            Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Working...
            X