A Dash of Deviants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dash of Deviants

One of the things that really makes me excited for Deviant is the promise that it will be able to support many different concepts and origins for its characters. This thread is a place to discuss and develop ideas for everyone's homebrew Deviant types. Obviously right now, details on the mechanics of Scars and Variations will either be fairly minimal or subject to change, but I think there's room to have fun anyway.

​Tell us about YOUR Remade!

Brief Concept

Background

Scars

Variations

​Who's after them?

What if a beloved children's character was actually a Deviant? Catthew D. Hatter, Was once a troubled child. When he was 14,he was captured by the Seuss enterprise who mixed his dna with the one of a cat! and gave a kickass magical hat,but that in turn turned him into a even more chaotic person,the more he uses the powr of the hat,the more crazy and mischievous he makes

Comment

Will it be possible to combine powers of scientific origin with magical origin?

More than that, it will be possible to have other splat capabilities. Like a cyborg having some psychic power.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
        Will it be possible to combine powers of scientific origin with magical origin?

More than that, it will be possible to have other splat capabilities. Like a cyborg having some psychic power.
        You should ask one of the developers that

Comment

Now that we have this thread I'm wondering if it's time for a Deviant sub-forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
            Now that we have this thread I'm wondering if it's time for a Deviant sub-forum.
            ​I wouldn't be against it, but I've barely posted on here so I'll defer to the mods judgment.

Comment

Here's mine, for my usernamesake.

Concept: A shoggoth-esque shapeshifter, created and abandoned by the Company.

Background: Borne was a piece of biotech found by the scavenger Rachel, who saw him first as a source of parts, then as a trade good, then a pet, then a child. He is a reverse Mowgli, an alien creature raised by humans as one of theirs, but increasingly aware of his alienness. As he grows in power, the ethics he was taught jar with the instincts he was programmed with.

Character sheet, somewhat kludged together with Dread Powers (Warning: spoilers for the book)
              Name:Borne
              Virtue:Hopeful
              Vice:Gluttony
              Int 4
              Wits 1
              Resolve 2
              Strength 2
              Dex 2
              Sta 4
              Presence 3
              Manipulation 1
              Composure 2

Skills
              Academics 2
              Investigation 1
              Science 1
              Athetics 3
              Brawl 3
              Stealth 1
              Survival 4
              Empathy 3
              Expression 2
              Intimidation 1
              Socialize 1

Merits
              Hardy 3
              Empath
              Eidetic Memory

Willpower 4
              [POWER STAT] 3
              Conviction: 7
              Loyalty: 5

Touchstone: Rachel

Variations (Dread Powers) and Scars
              Chameleon Horror Scar: Poisoned or wounded areas cannot camouflage.
              Bizarre Weaponry 3 Scar: Creating weaponry does damage to Borne equal to the created weapon's damage modifier. This damage is healed when the weapon is retracted.
              Skin-Taker Scar: Borne is compelled to consume organic matter (including sentient beings) and find new forms.
              Water Elemental Scar: Borne can be diluted in large amounts of liquid and is particularly vulnerable to toxins while fluid.

Conspiracy: The Company, a Kafka-esque biotech corporation that want to use Borne for mysterious ends.

Blowout: Borne self-destructs dealing Size*Hitpoints*10 aggravated damage to everything within a 200 meter radius.
              Last edited by Borne; 07-19-2018, 11:24 PM.

Comment

I like it quite a bit. What kind of variations would Borne have (I can guess things based on forming useful appendages/weapons)?

Comment

Originally posted by Kvedulf View Post
                  I like it quite a bit. What kind of variations would Borne have (I can guess things based on forming useful appendages/weapons)?
                  Thank you; all credit for the cool ideas really ought to go to Jeff Vandermeer. I was using Dread Powers to approximate Variations, and assumed an over-simplified one-for-one with Scars.

Comment

Originally posted by Kvedulf View Post

​I wouldn't be against it, but I've barely posted on here so I'll defer to the mods judgment.
                    I think this is the third or fourth Deviant-specific thread now. A place to aggregate them together would be handy. Not sure what the official policy is though; we might have to wait until the Kickstarter deploys (which I hope will be sometime this year).

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post

I think this is the third or fourth Deviant-specific thread now. A place to aggregate them together would be handy. Not sure what the official policy is though; we might have to wait until the Kickstarter deploys (which I hope will be sometime this year).
                      I wouldn't bet on the KS being this year, to be honest - it's one of those KSes where they'll want the text done before doing it, and there're a number of other KS candidates currently ahead in development, enough it could easily be next year.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Well, this is my first take on an origin for a group of Deviants. Feel free to suggest improvements, particularly in terms of power and Scar balance issues. These are meant to be fairly high-powered Deviants with a correspondingly tough adversary - a conspiracy that's well-funded, devoted, and has a lot of supernatural backup.

The Arcturans
                        “If we’re talking about getting back to my old self, physical transformation isn’t the main issue, Tommy.”

“I dunno, it looks like there’s some significant differences.”

“And there’s a lot that happened that you can’t see. The Interpreter, or whatever the thing inside the system really is called – it can be anything. A lover, a teacher, a tormentor, a wise innocent, whatever. Your own personal bodhisattva to open you up to the insane world. I’ve talked to others who experienced something completely different during overhaul than I did.

“Whatever the form, the Interpreter will either mold your mind to think how it wants, or it will decide to terminate you. There’s some people who just went in there and never came out.

“And now it knows me. I wonder sometimes if they can predict exactly what I’ll do and where I’ll go. That would explain some things.”

Concept: Supposed “Aliens” with mystical powers related to the arcana of Mages.

Origin: An Arcturan is made by uniting the mind (plus the remnants of a soul) belonging to a mortal with an artificial body. That body is woven together in a creche, made from tissue not quite like any natural organism, hairlike glass-fibers, and traces of one or more metals associated with the Supernal Paths. Spells are cast and arcane rituals performed over the creche to bless the being taking shape within. When complete, an Arcturan’s body is optimized for both physical vitality and easy “conductance” of sorcerous energies.

However, the real magic happens behind the curtain. When a mortal begins the initiation process in earnest, he or she is gradually induced into a torpid state while in the presence of a bizarre, hulking computer that is also connected to the creche in which the new Arcturan’s body will be synthesized. While seemingly comatose, the mortal’s mind is actually being uploaded into an ephemeral environment referred to as the Binah Shell.

Once there, they will be confronted by an intelligence known as the Interpreter. The identity of the Interpreter is one of the mysteries surrounding these Remade, but the Interpreter itself will often demur or couch slightly different answers to different inductees based on their preexisting beliefs. The general consensus among Loyalist Arcturans is that the Interpreter is a representative of a nonhuman collective or civilization (whether this group’s members are actually extraterrestrial life forms, from another universe, or simply exists in such a grand scale that both ideas are true is not clear). This force wishes to intervene in humanity’s affairs, but does so by guiding a few to deeper understanding of the world so that they can act as its agents. Pentacle mages assume that the Interpreter is one of the Exarchs or possibly a sub-soul.

The Interpreter’s tests may subjectively seem to take mere hours or entire months, but in real time two to three weeks pass. During this time the inductee will be plied with riddles and dilemmas, shown mind-bending vistas and put through extremes alterations of consciousness within the Binah Shell (imagine existence without any dimensions in space, or temporarily experiencing the cognition of an animal). This is an essential adaptation period for the mind of candidate, as they learn how to recognize potentialities in the world to which mortals are blind. Insofar as both loyalists and renegades have inferred patterns from the psychology of Arcturans who pass the tests, the Interpreter seems to encourage candidates to develop a utilitarian moral calculus (mixed with a sense of loyalty to the organization) conjoined with a penchant for creative expression and problem-solving.

Should they be judged sufficient by the Interpreter, the new Arcturan is downloaded into their now fully-grown body and awakened. Often conspiracy members and older Arcturans will hold a sort of birthday celebration for the event. Many Arcturans still experience difficulties adjusting to their new existence. The form they have now often looks little or nothing like their original one. On one or two occasions downloading to the artificial body involved changing from one biological sex to the other.

Special rules: Maximum rating that Strength, Dexterity, and Stamina can be raised to during character creation or by spending experiences is 6, not five. All Arcturans start with at least one nonhuman physical feature (see Scars).

Variations: Similar to Proximi. Arcturans can buy individual spells from a single Arcanum as powers (loyalists refer to these as algorithms, referring to a procedure by which a specific problem can be solved).

Scars:
                        Alien Appearance Scar: Even without detailed medical examination (which would reveal some… interesting… things going on internally), Arcturans are visibly easy to distinguish from a mortal. Think Next Generation-era Klingons or some of the weird-but-humanoid Quirk users from My Hero Academia and you are in the right ballpark. Bizarre skin pigmentation or pattern, pupil shape or eye color impossible for humans, more or less prominent teeth, etc. have all been observed. Any roll to by others remember or recognize an Arcturan character is made as if he or she had the Striking Looks merit, but the character does not receive the social bonus of that merit unless it is bought with experience points as normal.

Spell-scorched Scar: The physical form of an Arcturan is in a precarious homeostasis atop the various mystic forces threatening to tear it apart. Using algorithms in rapid succession inflicts progressively worse damage/Tilts as optical fiber “nerves” melt and fuse, and chunks of tissue begin to shut down or out right necrotize.

Conspiracy: To the public, Tricept is a tech company involved in computer chip manufacturing, known to have an R&D wing investigating novel forms of computing such as biologically-based logic gates and quantum technology. It is name most associated with the bizarre beings known as Arcturans, but even this seems to be only a front. Recently a Renegade and his allies burned down what they believed was the main office of Tricept, only to find cardboard boxes with the company logo on them on a UPS truck months later.

In reality, the conspiracy which the Remade will have to fight is a loose assortment of respectable businesses, personal empowerment programs, and UFO theorist groups, interwoven by a cult known as the Universal Communion. The UC believes itself to be a the link between the unenlightened, polluted, and flawed planet of Earth and benevolent sentient beings originating from all corners of the cosmos. The commands which high-ranking cult members receive and pass on to Arcturan agents may demand the planting of a tree in a specific place, acquisition of a mystic object, or assassination of a political organizer. Regardless, they are meant to reform the human world and bit by bit to prepare it for admission into a “brotherhood of minds”. The worst sin, in the teachings of the Universal Communion, is to knowingly interfere with the great work of humanity’s preparation. Thus, cult agents and even fellow Arcturans will be sent to kill any Remade who outright denounces or opposes the Communion.

Behind all of these, several Awakened are embedded within the cult. It is generally accepted that these are Seers and that the UC are merely stooges for their continued dominance of sleepers. But as more and more strange shapes flit at the edges of astronomer’s telescope lenses, and places where the Universal Communion has touched experience the genesis of strange artistic movements illustrating alien vistas, the truth or falsehood of the cult’s beliefs remains to be seen.

Comment

Working...
                        X