Orpheus 2e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orpheus 2e

This might have come up here in the past, but I was just curious what people thought about the concept of a 2e Orpheus game?

I know that the original was kind of a once-off experiment and had a very specific end game. But I was just thinking, what if there was a second run by of it, with updated 2e rules that (potentially) touches off of the ghost/underworld stuff we know about from the (incredible looking) upcoming GtSE 2e book.

So you could still have Orpheus, Tyrell & Squib (sp), etc. And still have the sequential crazy episode-books. But just have a slightly different background story/meta.

Thoughts?

The Sword Emperor did this awhile ago, though my link to the file seems dead.

Comment

Orpheus? Isn’t that from WoD? There’s a CoD version of that?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
        Orpheus? Isn’t that from WoD? There’s a CoD version of that?
        My first thought too was "This should be in the WoD forum". But I think the OP is hoping or checking interest in a CofD reboot under (or linked) to Geist 2E.

Project consolidation:
        Rough Draft: Dhole Shifters, Ottawa By Night, Tribebook Bunyip, Garou Variant
        In redaction: Lasombra Bloodline

Comment

Originally posted by Boneguard View Post

My first thought too was "This should be in the WoD forum". But I think the OP is hoping or checking interest in a CofD reboot under (or linked) to Geist 2E.

Bingo. My apologies if I'm in the wrong forum, I wasn't exactly sure. But it's like you said: after playing 2e CofD, oWoD is not the easiest system to go back to. I know it's not on Onyx Path's radar, but I was curious if people were interested in the idea etc.

It just seemed that while it's not something they're doing, if they wanted to, Geist 2e is a pretty sweet jumping off point considering the depth of work that's gone into the underworld etc.

Comment

Originally posted by baileyborough View Post
            It just seemed that while it's not something they're doing, if they wanted to, Geist 2e is a pretty sweet jumping off point considering the depth of work that's gone into the underworld etc.
            Are there any real differance between Geist and Orpheus beside that game is pointed on corporation - that would simply by very large Krewe?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Are there any real differance between Geist and Orpheus beside that game is pointed on corporation - that would simply by very large Krewe?

Very fair point I guess.

I think the things I liked so much about Orpheus personally, apart from some of the splats and abilities etc, was the setting and structure.

Setting as in, everybody knows ghosts exist. This isn't like some weird thing that happens to people and the Krewe goes and takes care of business. Google and Apple have taken a sideline to this new industry that's sprung up overnight. How do people deal with this knowledge.

Structure in the way the books moved the story on. My personal favourites were books 1 and 2. Spend as long as you like playing through any number of the short mission descriptions at the end of the main book (another thing I'd love to see more of ideally) and get a feel for Orpheus the functioning corporation.

When you're ready, let the proverbial hit the fan, and play through the book two stuff. New rules tweaks, huge change to the meta setting, more mysteries introduced, etc etc.

For me, the final reveal wasn't as satisfying as it was for others who knew the longer term history I'm sure, but I think there's definite scope for some very very cool stuff there. I also think the Sin Eater/Geist abilities and flavour is pretty different to the Orpheus skimmer/sleeper/ghost setup.

Personal opinions only.

Comment

Sounds like an excellent place for a Shard for Geist.

Comment

Shard? Apologies, that's a new term for me.

(also, in case there's any doubt, I adore Geist, this isn't me wanting something instead of it)

Comment

I'm adding to this voice - much easier to you will make a Shard ( an alternative setting hack ) for Geist - than written whole game from ground up.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

(also, in case there's any doubt, I adore Geist, this isn't me wanting something instead of it)
                      Like wyrdhamster said, an Alternate Setting basically. Like what Demon (the Descent) has with that God-Machine controlled city in the Storyteller’s Guide. Lets us shuffle up the basic premises and themes of games a bit more than what adding a new group or hacking in a few setting/mechanic changes usually do. Like, say, the Skimmers etc being the default splat instead of the Bound.

Comment

Shard is massive 'setting Hack' - you change not one, but few, related things. Example Shards are Vampire in Space, Mage in REAL Camelot / Atlantis or Werewolf related to ghosts. You leave most of mechanics the same as original game - but change a large part of setting to fit your's vision.

So, basiclly, we advise you to ' take Geist 2E and make changes for it to be like Orpheus'.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Challenge accepted. Thanks guys. Are there any existing shards that you'd recommend for a look in terms of a good template etc?

Comment

I do not read any official Shard to this date - but as I hack a games a lot, I would advise you to make two lists - Things that are important for you in Orpheus - and reflective list of how those things work in Geist. Than simply for each point on lists made rules for Geist to better emulate Orpheus.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Challenge accepted. Thanks guys. Are there any existing shards that you'd recommend for a look in terms of a good template etc?
                              Check out Mirrors from 1E, or the Demon Storyteller's Guide. Any of the 1E Chronicler's Guides had a few Shards (even if not called that).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
                              X