Chronicles as a General Horror Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronicles as a General Horror Game

Sorry, this has nothing to do with V:R but I had to pick one of the games to post. Ive purchased the Chronicles of Darkness Core Book and love the system, Im also using Innocents but want to run a general horror campaign involving children growing up in a small town and a decades long battle with an evil there. Is Chronicles of Darkness a game in its own right or merely a core rulebook for one of the other Vampire/Werewolf etc. game? Not that it matters I suppose but Im confused by the lack of a forum category here for gamers like me, using the system but not one of the other better known books.

Originally posted by rgrove0172 View Post
    Sorry, this has nothing to do with V:R but I had to pick one of the games to post. Ive purchased the Chronicles of Darkness Core Book and love the system, Im also using Innocents but want to run a general horror campaign involving children growing up in a small town and a decades long battle with an evil there. Is Chronicles of Darkness a game in its own right or merely a core rulebook for one of the other Vampire/Werewolf etc. game? Not that it matters I suppose but Im confused by the lack of a forum category here for gamers like me, using the system but not one of the other better known books.
    It's at the bottom below the subforums.

And yes, it's a game in it's own right which the others overlay.

Comment

The Core book can be used on it's own yes. It is the mortal book and is written in the perspective of mortals(not Hunters) taking glimpses into the shadowy world it ignores. It's like a classic ghost story, of a bunch of people trying to investigate some local folk legends and come off more then they can chew or at least that is one of the stories. The Core book on it's own is unneeded for the other game a because each book contains a copy of the rules for reference. This the core is best used for mortals since that is what it focuses on.

Comment

Chronicles of Darkness on its own works wonderfully as a general horror game, it’s one of my favorite ways to use the system. I find it infinitely preferable to, for instance, Call of Cthulhu, both mechanically and thematically.

We do have a CofD general forum, all the various gamelines are sub-forums off of it. I can move this thread there if you’d like.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

There is a pretty big section in the book detailing running games with the God-Machine, but that's completely optional. There's also a system for designing custom antagonists and monsters without ties to either the God-Machine or any other game in the same setting. It works perfectly fine on its own.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Discussion of "blue-book" games, as games about mortals using the Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook (or the 1e World of Darkness Rulebook before it) are sometimes called, goes in the Chronicles of Darkness forum to which Vampire is a subforum. And yes, it's a pretty good system for straightforward horror games, especially with the CofD Rulebook's addition of sections on building Horrors and ephemeral entities as antagonists. That addition plugged the one significant hole I saw in the 1e Rulebook, which, outside of ghosts, left that work to the Storyteller without much in the way of guidelines.

Comment

I will chime in and say my favorite mode for game play is actual the Mortals Campaign - I probably get more milage our of my core Chronicles of Darkness book than any of my Gameline books.

For your Campaign theme I would also recommend WoD:Innocents. Its a 1st Edition book, but its a well written guide to playing children in the World of Darkness and offers a few mechanical tweaks that would still play well in the 2nd Edition ruleset.

And it can be helpful to scan the forums,since there are more than few posters that are compulsive writers and homebrewers- cribbing an idea here and there can save you a ton of work when planning your next session.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
              The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
              Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
              Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                Chronicles of Darkness on its own works wonderfully as a general horror game, it’s one of my favorite ways to use the system. I find it infinitely preferable to, for instance, Call of Cthulhu, both mechanically and thematically.

We do have a CofD general forum, all the various gamelines are sub-forums off of it. I can move this thread there if you’d like.
                Yes by all means. Don't know how I missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Reighnhell View Post
                  I will chime in and say my favorite mode for game play is actual the Mortals Campaign - I probably get more milage our of my core Chronicles of Darkness book than any of my Gameline books.

For your Campaign theme I would also recommend WoD:Innocents. Its a 1st Edition book, but its a well written guide to playing children in the World of Darkness and offers a few mechanical tweaks that would still play well in the 2nd Edition ruleset.

And it can be helpful to scan the forums,since there are more than few posters that are compulsive writers and homebrewers- cribbing an idea here and there can save you a ton of work when planning your next session.
                  Yep, I've Got "innocents" and plan to use it.

Comment

Working...
                  X