Making Zombies or Slashers scary.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Zombies or Slashers scary.

For another one shot and I did a little brainstorming and I came up with either the PCs sieged by zombies (I was thinking of having intelligent, curse reanimated zombies so they could have a relatable yet scary opponent) or a Maniac Slasher holding the PCs in a death trap ladenbuilding, kinda like Saw. I was thinking of using the Antagonist book if it's still compatible with 2E but I think the Horror rules are still good for that. Same for the Slasher. Any tips?

Originally posted by damocles23 View Post
    For another one shot and I did a little brainstorming and I came up with either the PCs sieged by zombies (I was thinking of having intelligent, curse reanimated zombies so they could have a relatable yet scary opponent) ... Any tips?
    I ran a game like that a few weeks ago. I wouldn't worry too much about making them scary. The tension of constant danger will do that very easily.

Comment

Are your Player normal Mortals or Supernatural?

Comment

With horror less is more. The fewer concrete details your players know about their enemies the more they will assume the worst possible situations.

In tabletop this can be a bit of a double edged sword though, as it will inspire certain types of players to plan overwhelming pre-emptive counter measures

Comment

Originally posted by damocles23 View Post
          For another one shot and I did a little brainstorming and I came up with either the PCs sieged by zombies (I was thinking of having intelligent, curse reanimated zombies so they could have a relatable yet scary opponent) or a Maniac Slasher holding the PCs in a death trap ladenbuilding, kinda like Saw.
          Why not both? Trapped in a deathtrap ladden building and zombies. Is the Slasher responsible for the zombies? Are the zombies the reason for the Slasher (driven mad, maybe)? Are they unrelated, except that they are both occupying the same hazardous place?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Magus Black View Post
            Are your Player normal Mortals or Supernatural?
            Mortals. I like playing with those.

Comment

The scariest thing about zombies is contagion. If you want an intelligent undead that's relatable, go with vampires (or revenants, for the best of both worlds).

The horror factor in Saw wasn't Jigsaw. It was the games he played, and the cost of winning, and losing in them.

Comment

Imo, if you go slasher, go classical slasher, e.g. Jason Vorhees or Michael Meyers. You don't need a death-trap building, but if you go there, listen to Malus' advice and make the games and the costs horrific. Jigsaw is fairly boring in and of himself.

Comment

I ran a zombie siege game in 1st edition. The two things I think make zombies scary in 2e would be the zombie moan that drains Willpower (from the Antagonists book) and the reduction of Defense from multiple attackers in a round. One zombie isn't scary because it has a small dice pool relative to most characters' Defense. However, if five zombies surround someone, one or two of those zombies have a decent chance of connecting.

Comment

I'd use the heck out of Surprise Entrance for both slashers and zombies. But I would modify it if you have a horde of zombies so they take a turn to turn up and simply can't use it if the players have barricaded themselves.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

There are two big fears at the heart of a siege. First, the fear that the defenses will fail. This can happen in a number of different ways: Not enough eyes to keep all the weak points covered at all times, clever or stealthy enemies that can breach the lines without being detected, or simply the gradual destruction of a barricade the defenders don't have the means to restore.

The second big fear is that food, water, or other limited resources will run out and force the defenders to abandon their safehouse.

As long as there are complications preventing them from developing a sustainable routine they won't ever get too comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                      X