Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Innocents 2nd Edition

So according to this brochure.

I says that coming soon, we may be getting something like Innocents second edition. I have heard that the first edition was well received but I wasn't into this game during that time, so I don't know much about this, or why it was considered so good. So please enlighten me, if you have time.

How can I know if what I claim I know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I might not know? How can I know if what I claim I don't know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I do know?
    -Zhuangzi

It was not good.

It was great.

(Working, so I can't elaborate right now.)

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Innocents was announced at Gen Con last year (although it didn't make it into the brochure) and has been on our Projects page since then. While we're certainly excited about it, it's not one of this year's new announcements.

Ian A. A. Watson
      Onyx Path Community Manager
      Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Innocents is my single favorite book of the entire franchise, even more than Slashers. To say I look forward the 2nd Edition is a big understatement.

What's great about it? It's not easy to explain that quickly.

It might be because, for a combination of Goosebumps, Mighty Max and Stephen King, I'm a huge fan of kids in Horror, but Innocent catered to that love of mine with skill and great writing.

The crunch was good, replacing the Cardinal Virtue and Capital Sins systems with one of Asset and Faults I will never stop believing to be the precursor of 2nd Edition Virtue and Vices. We liked it so much at my table that switching to the regular 1st Edition one always took us time. The Merits gave support to a lot of little, simple things that reminded me of the flavor and important things of being a kid.

The fluff was not good, it was stellar. It had great fiction, essays on portraying children in Horror, about the psychology of a minor, grey areas, touchy subjects, complex issues and all sorts of other tools needed to provide both inspiration and mood. The Antagonist section had lots of unaligned critters that were perfectly fit to use against children and the premade sample stories ranged from the spooky to the terrifying. This book was both Summer Night, Something Wicked This Way Comes, IT, Stranger Things, Attack the Block, The Goonies and Are you Afraid of The Dark?

Innocents is, to this day, the only book I can reliably read if, for some reason, I want to cry, because of Matt McFarland's essay about the true monsters that prey on children in the real world and that dreadful, terrible story that's the kidnapping of Polly Klaas. I learned about it in this book and, in two paragraphs, it gets me everytime. And I mean actual, rageful tears.

The hardest thing to describe about Innocents is the feeling it manages to convery throughout the book, the perception that the thing you hold between your hands speaks of a smaller, limited world, that's nonetheless even more vivid and meaningful exactly because the stakes for its small protagonists are so high. It's a mixture of nostalgia and empathy that people can feel, enhanced by the way the characters are created and played. I ran these things for fourteen years, almost half of my life, and if you ask any of my historical players what's the chronicle they remember more fondly they'll all reply "the kid one!"

So, yeah: Innocent was great. The 2nd Edition of it will have my money for sure.
        Last edited by Cinder; 08-01-2018, 08:12 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Um... what Cinder said.

I am a bit concerned though, simply because there's so much great stuff in Innocents that's already readily applicable to 2e games. A lot of the mechanics are already in 2e (as mentioned Asset and Fault are basically how Virtues and Vices work now), so... what are we going to get in a 2e version that's not repetition?

Comment

Okay, that sounds pretty neat, so it seems that the first edition is worth it for the read alone.

How can I know if what I claim I know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I might not know? How can I know if what I claim I don't know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I do know?
            -Zhuangzi

Comment

Innocents would also be a cool fit to merge with the Heirs to Hell book! I have wanted to run a Innocents game where the Children are/become Supernaturals themselves

Comment

Originally posted by Caedus View Post
                Innocents would also be a cool fit to merge with the Heirs to Hell book! I have wanted to run a Innocents game where the Children are/become Supernaturals themselves
                And Half-Damned. Dhampir are a thing. Throw in some others (Wolfblooded, Proxmi, maybe a Lucifige lineage) and we can watch worlds collide, where only the children see without bias.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Stranger Things!

It's basically Innocents prequel to Hunter, with using a lot of Deviant/Werewolf stuff.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

And Half-Damned. Dhampir are a thing. Throw in some others (Wolfblooded, Proxmi, maybe a Lucifige lineage) and we can watch worlds collide, where only the children see without bias.
                    That would be awesome!

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

So, you've seen everyone else's response and you're going to see that echo'd by all who read or played it. There's a certain trope or feel about playing or watching a piece of fiction about the world through the eyes of yourself but younger. You half remember the way you thought and really it was likely very different. And the rules worked VERY well to emphasize that. Cinder did an amazing job summarizing that up.

So what I can add, instead, is my experience with a game where I was a player in an innocents game.

The setting was very supernatural so it was not light on the supernatural themes. The backdrop is one of our friends slipped into a coma for no reason and he's been taken care of at home for the past month since being released from the hospital for home-care (with the proper equipment and house checks). We (aged about 8-9) were able to come over and just "visit" every once in a while so that we could hopefully lend our voices to his dreams and maybe our friend will wake up.

Well, at some point we found ourselves in his dreams (I honestly don't remember, it's been years since this game). And as we were trying to figure out where we were and how to find our friend, it became immediately obvious that we weren't alone. There was something stalking the dreamscapes of our friend's mind. Just imagine that, being a kid, in a spooky house and hearing things around the corner. I can almost guarantee you that you had similar experiences for real when you were a kid (for me, my friends and I went to the high school during summer just to see what the place looked like and we were afraid of getting caught so we tip toed about going from place to place in the dark and each sound the vents made was hyper-scary).

The game that followed was one of the scariest games I've played, we were all on the edge of our seats. And it wasn't just because it's a horror themed setting (some nightmare roaming the mid), but because we were kids and there's not much that we could do about it. We had very little support and throughout the course of the game, inch by inch, we had to take back our courage and agency and find out that we can do something. The characters, all of them , changed in some way. It was very much a growing up story in a way.

And none of us players realized it till the game was concluded. The rules reinforced how we approached our problems and that had a real emotional impact on the players.

Playing an Innocents game, feels like the real culmination of the kind of story and emotional impact you'd expect from a gameline called (at the time) "the World of Darkness".
                      Last edited by xiongrey; 08-03-2018, 05:09 PM.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

Hi everyone. Is there any update on the Innocents 2e book? The first edition was one of my favorite game we played. I can't seem to find any official word on the book. Any info would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Typath View Post
                          Hi everyone. Is there any update on the Innocents 2e book? The first edition was one of my favorite game we played. I can't seem to find any official word on the book. Any info would be great.
                          It is still on the Products page, so I would assume it is still being planned/outlined.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

curious Ideas how it would work with Dhampirs from VTR?

Not sure if a Child aged Dhampir even has access to their powers.

Comment

Honestly I can think of a less appealing book, but perhaps it because childhood is not something I remember fondly, for the most part, although there are a few exceptions.

I don't even like seeing kids in TV or movies, although I will make an exception for Stranger Things, and Interview with.a Vampire, because Brilliant acting can not be ignored.

Comment

Working...
                              X