Deviant at GenCon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deviant at GenCon?

Did anyone get a chance to take a look at the Deviant manuscript at GenCon? Any juicy bits to reveal?

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

The Deviant manuscript was at GenCon this year?

EDIT: ...and I just now noticed the previous thread in Mage.

Comment

I just really want to know about the Clades,so I can start building characters in my head

Comment

Here's some stuff from an anonymous who playtested

Sure. Nothing at the session was really secret, though there’s a handful of details I can’t recall off the top of my head and some stuff might change since this was also kind of a playtest session. Our characters were members of a military unit that wound up tricked into participating in an unauthorized super-soldier program and went rogue on our first mission. The story of the one-shot is that an FBI agent masquerading as a reporter was in touch with our group and fed us intel about a facility where the folks that turned us into Deviants were still at it. Officially, we were supposed to break in steal evidence of what they were doing and get it back to our contact, with the out-of-character understanding that we were probably going to completely wreck the place up in the process.

Spoiler alert: We completely wrecked the place up in the process. But we also saved another group of recruits from being transformed, and got the evidence back to our contact.

I can’t remember the official terms for what all the types of Deviants are (though it’s based on how you were modified), but I do remember what powers we had and their drawbacks. (The powers and drawbacks aren’t inherently linked, there’s apparently going to be some room for customizations.)

We had a guy who had a literal computer brain (the cyborg type) that gave him access to a bunch of Mental Merits, but he had to have someone open up his brain and replace the batteries (simple AA batteries) every couple of days.
        * I played a guy with really weird luck (I think that was called ‘Atypic,’ and is the catch-all for just really weird stuff), so I got massive bonuses if I ever had to make a chance roll, but the drawback was that the Storyteller could take dice out of my pool because the luck goes both ways.
        * We had a character who was effectively boneless (enhanced with injected DNA, I think called a ‘Chimera’), could fit into almost any space, contort herself however, and lock her body into weird shapes. But she heals at half the normal rate.
        * We had a guy who could blank the long-term memories of people around him (the psychic type), either with a focused effect or just making people forget him when he left the room, but his head was massively swollen and he couldn’t pass for human without a sufficient disguise.
        * We had a guy who had a bunch of shapeshifter stuff implanted into him (which is a ‘supernatural stuff spliced into you’ type, sort of like a Cheiron Group hunter dialed up to 11), basically making him something like a werewolf, but he couldn’t talk when transformed.
        * And then there was a guy who could literally eat anything (I don’t know what type he was supposed to be, off-hand, there was some wonkiness there), but his mouth was full of teeth made of this glowing alien metal and he also couldn’t pass for human any more without completely covering the lower half of his face.

Comment

They sound suitably freakish in appearance.

Comment

Yup, i wonder if the atypic will get more work than the others though. It does not exactly sound like a bad deal at all (storywise, not mechanically)

Comment

Atypic is, iirc, one of the names we're changing because I don't like it. The wrexking crew were given the very earliest draft that was "complete" (as in, all chapters present) to build their scenarios from.

Variations are grouped by Clade with an extra category for Universal ones - you have to have a certain number come from your Clade's list at chargen. Scars are grouped by mental/physical/social and can be combined with Variations howsoever you please.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

If you wanted to go full bio nerd, you could call them the outgroup.

Comment

Anomaly, perhaps? Assuming, of course, that the term isn’t already in use.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                  Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                  Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

I just hope one of the sub splat names is cronenbergs. Also anomaly sounds like a good name

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                      Atypic is, iirc, one of the names we're changing because I don't like it.
                      So can we describe it as the clade-that-isn't? Ie its members aren't particularly more similar to each other than they are to the other clades?

If so, what about Anagens? (Anagenisis as distinct from cladogenesis)

Comment

Personally, I like how it stays true to being comparatively low level in power and being gross looking. Plus I like how instability works

Comment

Could pivot towards movies with Coolers or Intacts (from the Cooler and Intacto, respectively).

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                            Atypic is, iirc, one of the names we're changing because I don't like it. The wrexking crew were given the very earliest draft that was "complete" (as in, all chapters present) to build their scenarios from.

Variations are grouped by Clade with an extra category for Universal ones - you have to have a certain number come from your Clade's list at chargen. Scars are grouped by mental/physical/social and can be combined with Variations howsoever you please.

As I imagined.

Is it possible to pick up a variation from another Clade?

Comment

If you can think of a way to reskin it for your character's Clade, then yes. The character in the Wrecking Crew demo with the brain implants sounds like an Invasive character that has some Cephalist powers. Or possibly the other way around. I wasn't involved in the games, and don't know how they statted them.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Working...
                              X