Maximum Achievable Attribute Score?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum Achievable Attribute Score?

Hello. I was wondering what the maximum rating in an Attribute a character can get is with supernatural powers and a power stat of 10, and which splat can do it. I am referring to playable splats here, so not things like Rank 6+ spirits. For the purposes of this, I am referring to powers that last at least a full turn as opposed to for a single roll.

I'm sure there's probably something better, but off the top of my head an Uratha can gut up to 19 Strength for their Gauru form duration:

Primal Urge 10, Strength 10, Purity 5, the Purity Strength Facet, Gauru Form, Favored Form (Gauru, +1 Strength) 2+, gets you there.

It feels like most splats hit the 15-16 range since they don't have something like Gauru to give them a boost on top of the basic Strength 10 + 5 from powers, plus something else thing (esp, things that give you a +1 to your Attribute max for one Attribute).

Comment

Do you mean actual Attribute dots or would bonuses to all rolls involving that Attribute suffice?

Edit: I ask because it's the difference between vampires having 15 or 55 in a Physical Attribute.
      Last edited by Tessie; 08-14-2018, 02:08 PM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Rahu werewolves can temporarily reach arbitrarily high levels of Strength via Crimson Spasm, if you're lucky enough to just keep rolling those 10s.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
          Rahu werewolves can temporarily reach arbitrarily high levels of Strength via Crimson Spasm, if you're lucky enough to just keep rolling those 10s.
          Concerning the explosion possibility, I feel like the old rule of thumb of (3 Dice=1 Success) will probably help to keep dice-variable attribute boosts useful.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

I forgot about Crimson Spasm... but even with just taking an average, a Primal Urge 10 character could be looking at +8 or 9 from that, on top of the 19 I already posted. That's pretty nasty.

Comment

Mages with three dots in Life (Physical Attributes) or Mind (Mental and Social Attributes) can use Perfecting spells plus an extra reach to add Spell Potency dots to an attribute and increase it above the normal attribute maximum. This can lead to very high values because of the way spellcasting works.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology; Priests of the Watchful Eternity - a 2e Silver Ladder Moros Legacy (Life/Death) of Mages that enhance Mortals to fight strange entities

Comment

Creating a number for mages would probably require setting a bar for the odds of success that are acceptable, since that's going to directly impact how much oomph you can put into the spell. A mage can push themselves into a chance die for a bigger bonus, but has significant risk for doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                  I forgot about Crimson Spasm... but even with just taking an average, a Primal Urge 10 character could be looking at +8 or 9 from that, on top of the 19 I already posted. That's pretty nasty.
                  Don't forget about Embodiment of the Firstborn, too.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                  Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post
                    Mages with three dots in Life (Physical Attributes) or Mind (Mental and Social Attributes) can use Perfecting spells plus an extra reach to add Spell Potency dots to an attribute and increase it above the normal attribute maximum. This can lead to very high values because of the way spellcasting works.
                    It can also mesh well with some of the other bonuses, since it doesn't have to target the mage casting the spell.

Probably including itself, unless I am misremembering something, having a bunch of Mages team up to boost a guy into Stat Godhood seems doable.

Clarifying edit, as in you could have one spell for each stat, only the highest + would actually take effect for each.
                    Last edited by Ruger; 08-14-2018, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Assuming a maxed mage casting Honing the Form or Augment Mind from a Grimoire. No teamwork because that opens up to a literally infinite dice pool in theory.

4 Persona + 5*3 Sacraments = 19 bonus dice from Yantras
                      10 Gnosis + 5 Life/Mind + 19 Yantra + 5 Ritual Intervals + 3 Willpower - 20*2 spellfactor steps = 2 dice
                      5 base + 20 steps = 25 Potency
                      3 Reach (Rote) - 2 Reach for exceeding trait maximums - 1 Reach for switch primary spell factor (Honing the Form only, oversight?) = 0 free Reach left, meaning no Paradox

Dice Pool: 2 with Rote Action (Success 75.99% of the time)
                      Casting Time: 6 minutes
                      Cost: 1 Mana for exceeding trait maximums
                      Duration: 1 turn (could be 1 scene for an extra Reach)
                      Effect: Add 25 dots to an Attribute

A mage with 10 base dots could reach 35 in an Attribute this way, but as mentioned they can also cast it on someone else, like that werewolf.
                      Last edited by Tessie; 08-15-2018, 06:03 AM.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

A Beast Incarnate can get incredibly strong. At Lair 10 they can have 10 base strength, +10 from taking the Titanic Onslaught ability, +11 from spending satiety on Skin Deep. And then on top of that 31 they can get an automatic 10 successes from Cyclopean Strength, giving them the effective equivalent of ~60 strength.

Alternatively, the same Beast in Horror form in their Lair could put all their bonus points into Power for a bonus of 20 instead of Titanic Onslaught's 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                          Do you mean actual Attribute dots or would bonuses to all rolls involving that Attribute suffice?

Edit: I ask because it's the difference between vampires having 15 or 55 in a Physical Attribute.
                          Sorry for the somewhat late response, Bonuses to rolls would suffice.

Comment

Physical Attributes for vampires:
                            10 base + 5 Vigor/Resilience/Praestantia + 10 Frenzy + 15*2 Physical Intensity = 55
                            You can gain an additional +10 to certain Strength rolls through Riding the Wave Style.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                              Physical Attributes for vampires:
                              10 base + 5 Vigor/Resilience/Praestantia + 10 Frenzy + 15*2 Physical Intensity = 55
                              You can gain an additional +10 to certain Strength rolls through Riding the Wave Style.
                              And with buffs from the previously optimized mage, we're at 80.
                              (assuming a Creative Thaum Death spell that functions as Honing the Form)

Comment

Working...
                              X