X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organizational Subsytem - Temp Homebrew

Hey All!

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post

Yes, the Krewe rules are the first use of the Chronicles' bright new organization-level subsystem.

Now that we've got the first rules/use of the new Organization creation, I thought it'd be fun to post a home brew of the base system for use before the actual actual base rules gets published for Deviant. Essentially just something to make use out of till we get the official.

Here's what I have so far (On next Post for ease of Editing)

Very Big Note: Most of this is just a dumbed down and stripped version of the Krewe Creation section. It's essentially the exact same formula from where each step is and everything. So don't think I came up with almost any of this. All I did was strip and replace the GtSE references for more generic versions. If this is too 'copy/pastey' I can delete my post or edit it to be just a simple 'cheat sheet' style.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Edit: I've made it and a cheat sheet but I need to edit it a bit so I'll post it tomorrow.
    Edit 2: Finished! But I want to re-iterate that nearly all of this is just the GtSE Krewe Creation rules but made a bit more generic. If I need to take it down I can and just leave the cheat sheet.

Organization Creation
    Rule 0 before any other steps is to consider the main players in this organization. If your Player-Characters are at the heart of this organization, at least most of the typical Character Creation should happen before this. If this Organization has a heart of at least mostly ST-Characters, they should be at least partially created first. I’ll reiterate that below as well, but I just want to get that out there. While you could make the organization first and fit the characters in it, and that would be totally valid, it might still be easier to follow the Creation Rules to fit the grouping of Characters.
    If this creation is the organization for the PCs, this session needs to be a conversation.
    You’re going to be making a few characters per player during this process: the main characters of the Organization, an important non-PC main player, and a handful of supporting characters.
    Finally, Organizations have a character sheet just like any other character, with Traits that measure their ability to act as a group and their collective resources. You’ll be defining those Traits in this step as well.

The Main Characters
    First, we create the heart of the Organization. These are the Main Characters (the PCs) of the org.
    If you haven’t made your PC yet, this is the time to make one. It might be a good time to ask everyone else what kind of Organization they’d like to make as well.

Step One: Introductions
    Once you have your characters built, go around the table and introduce your finalized character. A lot can change in character creation between stating a concept and filling out their sheet. Give their name, describe important facets of their personality and Modus Operandi, talk about what they’re good at, reveal anything else Interesting about them, and talk about how they might relate to the Organization. Everyone should ask questions, make suggestions that could tie the Org together, and find something about the character to be a fan of.

Step Two: Connections
    Now that you’ve met all the characters, it’s time to go around again and build some starting connections. You’ve just started a little group with these people, so you must think something about them. When it’s your turn, make a proposal how your character is connected to another. It’s up to everyone at the table, but especially the other player whose character is involved, whether a proposal is appropriate or not. If an idea gets vetoed for any reason, move on and don’t try to force it.

If you don’t have an idea now that’s okay. You can tell the table that, and maybe suggest some inroads to connecting with your character. Talk about family they might have, experiences they’ve gone through, or even silly hobbies. Things that lead to other players yelling out “Wait, that’s it, both of our characters have that in common!”

If you’re still not sure about it, these things tend to change in play. It’s kind of like how television show pilots may feature an actor as a character, but once it’s broadcast they’re played by somebody Completely different.

The Supporting Cast

The Beta Characters
    Next, you’ll create the members of the Organization that that play a significant role in the Organization but are not PCs. These characters are often, but not always in the same “Supernatural” types as the main characters like additional Bound & Ghosts in a Krewe, Wolf-Blooded and secondary Spirits in a Pack, Ghouls and Neonate Kindred in an elder’s Coterie, Fae-Touched in a Motley, or maybe it’s a character that would otherwise be in the Main Cast if it weren’t for a player not playing them.

Discussion should be passed around on ideas for these characters, there doesn’t need to be one Beta Character for each Main Character, but all players should contribute ideas for at least a few of the Betas.

Below is what you would need for Human Beta Cast, these can be changed or added to depending on the Organization.
    Aspirations
    Each of the Beta should have two Aspirations. They can be anything.
    Virtue and Vice
    Choose a Virtue and Vice to help flesh out the character’s drives.
    Attributes
    Distribute dots among Physical, Mental, and Social (5, 4, 3) as normal.
    Skills
    Distribute 10 dots among skills and choose two skill specialties.
    Derived Traits
    The character has the normal derived traits of other mortal characters.
    Finishing Touches
    Once you’ve filled out character sheets for the Beta Cast, establish connections between them just like you did with the Main Cast. They can also have relationships with the Main Cast.

The Side Cast
    Next, you’ll create other members of the Organization that that play a role in the Organization. They might be active participants in the organization or barely aware of the actions of the upper echelons of the Organization. They might be occultists, reporters, spies, or just someone that owes a favor. They could be friends, family, or acquaintances. Every player should make at least one or two but feel free to make more than that depending on the Organization (though I would caution making more than five each, see “Background Players).

Each Side Organization member has:
    Name:
    Concept:
    An Aspiration:
    3 Actions that support the Concept: (assign each a dice rating of 5 to one, 4 to another, and 3 to the last)

The Supporting Cast should be mortal unless the Organization has the Exceptional Membership Merit.

Background Players
    There may be more characters in the Organization then the created above, but for game play-wise choices, dealing with only the above helps the game from getting mired down in the loads and loads of characters.

Organization Creation Steps

Now is the time we fill out the Organization Sheet. Filling this out is not dissimilar to an individual Character but will represent a whole mess of people and the efforts that the Organization can engage in. Everyone at the table should work together for each step along the way so that each trait is something that everyone can agree on.

Step One: Organization Type
    The First Step is to figure out the type of Organization. More specified Organizations like Krewes or Packs may have a set of “Classes” that the Organization can fit into but for Mortal/Mundane Organizations these can be a simple statement of type not unlike a Characters Concept.

Is your Organization a Grassroots Rights Group intent on 501(c)3 status? Is it a budding paramilitary group intent on rooting out local nasties? Or is it Spy network focused on the subversion of efforts of a shared enemy?

Any of these can be the type.
    [quote note: I bet that types could prolly be sorted into something like archetypes… I might do that later and just edit this post]

Step Two: Organization Goals/Focuses [not sure which is more apropro]
    The Organization Goals are the whole reason the Organization is together and informs how it operates. Be careful when creating these as how cohesive the goals and how active they are can either lead in a productive way or in a way that inevitably leads to infighting. Both are fine the type of story everyone wants to play should show through and be transparent for everyone.

Goals
    • Choose Three: Define Goals/Focuses for your Organization.

Step Three: Virtue and Vice
    An Organization’s Virtue and Vice represent, respectively, the highest ideal to which the Organization holds itself and the common distractions that hold it back. In concert with its goals, they help to shape how the Organization acts defined by its type.

Step Four: Attributes
    Organizations use the same simplified Attributes as ephemeral entities: Power, Finesse, and Resistance.
    Power represents the ability to effect change through direct action.
    Finesse is the “soft leverage,” the ability of its members to employ their own influence and talents for the collective benefit.
    Resistance is a measure of how committed the members are to the Organizations Goals:
    Low Resistance means you’re more vulnerable to desertion or members not following through, high Resistance means you’ve got a core of fanatics at your beck and call.
    It also serves as a yardstick for number of members: Not counting the main characters, an Organizations typically has (10 × Power) members.

Attributes
    • Base Competency: The Organization starts with one dot in all Attributes for free.
    • Additional Dots: Assign six dots to the Attributes, divided however you like.

Step Five: Merits
    Merits represent the collective belongings and talents of the Organization, not necessarily individual members.

At this point, you should design a Mystery Cult Initiation Merit for the for the Organization. Even if the Organization is more mundane, there is likely some benefit that can be gained from higher levels in your organization. Assume that most members have access to the first dot; more advanced members can be created with the Exceptional Membership Merit

Merits
    • Organization Merits: Choose seven dots worth of Merits, all of which must have the Org or Org Only tag. [note, only GtSE has this now but it should be easy for an ST to say that a merit is org or org only]
    • Safe Place: All Organizations begin with one dot of Safe Place, representing their central meeting place.

Step Six: Add Shared Supernatural powers
    If applicable to your organization, here’s where you add the shared supernatural things ™

Step Seven: Advantages
    Organizations have two Advantages: Autonomy, which represents the organizational power and how well the organization can exert itself, and Cohesion, which Serves the Organization in a manner similar to Health for individual characters.

Advantages
    • Autonomy: 1
    • Cohesion: 5 + Resistance

Organization Advancement
    Attribute = 6 per dot
    Merit = 1 per dot
    Shared Supernatural Resource = 2 per dot
    Autonomy* = 5 per dot
    * Autonomy may only be increased with Org Experiences.
    Last edited by xiongrey; 08-17-2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Organization Creation Cheat Sheet
      1. Step 1) Create the Cast
        1. Main Cast
          1. Each player creates a Main Character
          2. Introduce each character and come up with at least 2 connections each.
        2. Supporting Cast
          1. Beta Characters
            1. Each Player creates up to 1 Main Supporting Cast member
            2. Can be supernatural depending on the Org.
            3. Create the following for each of them:
              1. 2 Aspirations
              2. Virtue and Vice
              3. Attributes (5, 4, 3)
              4. Skills (10 Dots
              5. Derived Traits
              6. Finishing Touches (establish connections)
          2. Side Characters
            1. Each Player creates up to 2 Side Characters
            2. Can only be supernatural if Exceptional Membership is taken
            3. Create the following for each:
              1. Name
              2. Concept
              3. An Aspiration
              4. 3 Actions that support the Concept: (5, 4, 3)
      2. Step 2) Create the Organization
        1. Decide Organization Type
        2. Define 3 Goals
        3. Define a Virtue & Vice
        4. Assign Attributes
          1. Start with one dot for free
          2. Assign 6 dots
        5. Choose seven dots of merits
          1. Design Mystery Cult Initiation if applicable
          2. Safe Place is free
        6. Add shared supernatural traits if applicable
        7. Determine Advantages
          1. Autonomy: 1
          2. Cohesion: 5 + Resistance

Comment

Working...
      X