Storytellers Vault for Chronicles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    THe failure of apology and the phrasing of their "walk back" speak volumes. Let's not pretend that Paradox Wolf is good at hiding their intentions.
    Either way, if nuWW had that much distaste for CofD, they wouldn't have bothered to keep it around.

They would have shut it down and just had OPP go all-hands-on-deck with WoD5e. And even then, all we know for sure that OPP is doing is *just* Chicago by Night V5.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

Either way, if nuWW had that much distaste for CofD, they wouldn't have bothered to keep it around.

They would have shut it down and just had OPP go all-hands-on-deck with WoD5e. And even then, all we know for sure that OPP is doing is *just* Chicago by Night V5.
      That's not how these politics work.

1) It's still a cash revenue with a solid base. PW may not like CofD and not want to draw any more attention then they have to, but no one says no free cash(and yes, this isn't free cash, but it's still cash flow).

2) They already have enough trouble dealing with the lashback of the old guard fanbase in response to the things they are trying out right now-pissing off even more of a fanbase and creating even more negative word-of-mouth by canning the CofD would really have hurt their business model, which they can't afford to do right now.

3) Also, CofD represents a loose alliance with the old guard of White Wolf's crew, in some ways, since OPP was born out of Richard catching the falling pieces from CCP and CofD has been a rather prominent feature of OPP's productions since it's inception.

Like, as is, no, they don't like ChroD.* You are talking about people who clearly feel that it contributed to the fall of White Wolf and RPGs in general(whether or not they have a point is a subject all together). It definitely does not represent the glory days of gaming they so desperately want to try and revive.There's no point denying that.

But it's current operations are beneficial in a wide variety, both in establishing legitimacy, maintaining a ready-and-curious word-of-mouth base for promotion, and keeping a decent cash flow coming in as it can, so long as it doesn't ultimately detract from what they're doing with World of Darkness. Give it time and possible success, and they might feel they can satisfactorily toss it off, but for now that's a dumb decision in practical terms.

People can not like things and still keep them because they make sense for the current mode of operation. It happens a lot.

*Which isn't to say they don't like individual lines within the entire franchise, because that would be silly.
      Last edited by ArcaneArts; 08-18-2018, 03:47 AM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

^Which is fair.

However, I feel there's no real reason to worry much about CofD right now.

Even if they do decide to cancel CofD completely, it's not as if they're going to send spooks to roll in and forcibly confiscate everyone's books. And no, I don't think they would be as petty as removing CofD books from DRPG (if anything, it seems like nuWW is trying to distance themselves from DRPG and not make themselves reliant on it).

Because otherwise, CofD is fine where it's at right now.

Books are released at a steady pace, devs regularly interact with fans including clarifying on any rules and lore debates when able, and we have a healthy community of people.

The stuff that could happen by nuWW/Paradox officially backing CofD...would just be adding more to what we already have right now. Even if there's no official ST Vault, it's not going to stop people from making and releasing homebrew stuff on the Internet. Or it not getting official multimedia projects...when we as players and STs can just make our own stories to our liking instead of being dependent on another group of people to do it for us.

Comment

I can only think they would cancel CofD if their numbers show that CofD cannibalizes part of the WoD market.
          However I think they catter to different public, CofD manages to get the people that want personal horror without the WoD metaplot while also exploring new splats such as prometheans, demons as robotic spies, beasts etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pluvinarch View Post
            I can only think they would cancel CofD if their numbers show that CofD cannibalizes part of the WoD market.
            However I think they catter to different public, CofD manages to get the people that want personal horror without the WoD metaplot while also exploring new splats such as prometheans, demons as robotic spies, beasts etc.
            This. As I see it, their only interest in ChroD lies in whether or not it's going to interfere with OWoD. As long as ChroD doesn't interfere, they have no reason to kill it.

So: would ChroD material in Storyteller's Vault interfere with OWoD? If yes, you're not going to see it. If no, ParaWolf will probably allow it.

Comment

I must say that it looks kinda annoying- and silly- that a company decides for its buyers which game they should play, instead of deciding which game they should develop according to the one which, objectively, sells more and is more popular. I'm not an economist, but that sounds like a terrible way to do business.

Anyway, I do hope to see a Storyteller's Vault for CofD, but with all the strange dynamics (to which I'm not even aware of), I won't eagerly wait for it.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

I'm not privy to the deal that WW and OPP has over the CofD license, but logically WW can only get part of the profits. Otherwise OPP would have to develop CofD with either no profits at all, or at a loss. Without knowing any sales figures I would still bet that WoD is more profitable for WW than CofD regardless of which one sells better.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                  I'm not privy to the deal that WW and OPP has over the CofD license, but logically WW can only get part of the profits. Otherwise OPP would have to develop CofD with either no profits at all, or at a loss. Without knowing any sales figures I would still bet that WoD is more profitable for WW than CofD regardless of which one sells better.
                  Yeah: as far as I'm aware, no sales figures have ever been given from DRPG, or from OPP...and, well, they're aren't really obligated to give them out.

And while the "Hottest sales" section on DRPG isn't the most precise of indicators...I have noticed that V20 is always consistently present, and it was always above VtR2e.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                    I must say that it looks kinda annoying- and silly- that a company decides for its buyers which game they should play, instead of deciding which game they should develop according to the one which, objectively, sells more and is more popular. I'm not an economist, but that sounds like a terrible way to do business.
                    It's way more complicated than that, but it's worth noting that if Paradox Wolf were interested in Not Terrible Ways of Doing Business, they would have cleaned up their marketing campaign ages ago. They did not.

Also, most businesses are never going to post their sales figures directly because that gives their opponents an idea of how the internals are working and how to respond in kind, which can hurt a whole friggin' lot. That said, there are ways to infer based off of exterior evidence based on things at the time, depending on how open a company is.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Well, Exaltd is getting added to the Vault, and I'm pretty sure OPP does all of the books for that line. So while I think it remains a long shot, I will upgrade my response to "never say never."

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                        Well, Exaltd is getting added to the Vault, and I'm pretty sure OPP does all of the books for that line. So while I think it remains a long shot, I will upgrade my response to "never say never."
                        This is true. Up until this point, nuWW hasn't done anything directly with Exalted either...

...granted here we do have an official edition in Ex3. So it's a bit of a different situation.

Comment

As Matt McElroy said on the Facebook announcement re Exalted hitting the SV: "Other settings will get unlocked over time. In part this is the first step to show that SV won't just be WoD exclusively."
                          Last edited by Acrozatarim; 08-26-2018, 12:04 PM.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Fingers cross for CoD Vault's!

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                            X