Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binder: the Pact. D&D class port

Pactbinder
    Many humans aren’t born with the potential for innate supernatural powers, most are meant to remain ordinary-mortal for all of their lives. This fate doesn’t appeal to some, and for many they choose to find a meaning in their limited existences.
    Most mortals would confide in faith, but a select few solicit the aid of other, stranger beings beyond the physical realm; whether it be in Arcadia, in the Shadow, in the Underworld, or stranger places, it doesn’t matter. Most end up serving the beings for favors for a few scraps of magical ability, but fewer still form a compact with things even less than the creatures of the darkness.

Vestiges are the barely coherent scraps of a long dead entity or the ideal of an entity, so far removed from existence that it cannot even be made manifest in any way, not even as a specter of a shadow of an idea, save by existing only in proxy. A binder can graft a Vestige to his body and have it become more than just a figmit

It is a trade. For an allotted time, the mortal gains a sample of power and the Vestige gains the one thing denied to it - existenace. This strains the humanity and will of the binder, for each entity will enforce its desires upon another. And stronger binders learn to make covenants with many Vestiges at once.

Notes:
    The pactmaker lesser template is based off of the Dungeons and Dragons 3.5e, Tome of Magic class called the pactmage and its derivatives in 3rd party books. I figured it would be a fun little archetype to try out. As such it inherits many of the same terminology of this… experiment.
    I know that certain splats deal with pacts with otherworldly beings in their own way, but I think this attempt deserves its own shot. This is a rough prototype and more a showing of how it functions. It will be ready for actual play, though I believe I need more more Vestiges and cleaning up.

Binder Template
    Binders are mostly human and retain their vices, virtues, aspirations, and integrity as they would as a human. Being a binder is not compatible with other templates except for some lesser templates at Storyteller's discretion.

New Advantage: Anointed Vessel
    In order to facilitate the binding of Vestiges to one’s body, the body must be practiced and prepared to handle the Vestige’s power. This is doubly true if the binder. This mental and spiritual fortitude is represented thus: for each dot of Anointed Vessel the binder has, he may bind 1 Vestige to his body.

Anointed Vessel dots above 6 also increase the maximum base attribute ratings a character may have to equal the number of dots said character has in Anointed Vessel.

Binders starts with 1 dot of Anointed Vessel. It costs 5 exp to raise one dot level and may be raised upto 10 dots.
    There is no penalty for raising your Anointed Vessel rating high, because binding additional Vestiges to your body is punishment enough.

Vestige
    A vestige is little more than a scrap of something that was once greater, lesser than even a shard of a great spirit, these remnants require skill, practice, and understanding to unlock their secrets and their vast powers.

Each Vestige bound to a binder adds to the Supernatural Tolerance of the Binder.

A new binder starts at Initiated with one Vestige and has it available for binding.

Becoming Initiated with a New Vestige costs 5 experience.
    A binder may choose to enhance his connection with a Vestige she already has; this unlocks additional benefits as described in the Vestige’s entry.

Becoming Favored with a Vestige cost 7 experience, selecting an Initiated Vestige.
    Becoming Exalted with a Vestige costs 9 experience, selecting an Exalted Vestige. Once a Vestige is Exalted, it is forever bound to the binder, forever a portion of his soul dedicated.

Binding Vestiges
    Binding a Vestige is a simple act storytelling wise. It is only a 10 minute ritual, though it can be expediated to a single turn at a -10 penalty to the check. Also, each Vestige currently bound to a Binder results in a -2 penalty to all binding checks - spirits are jealous and do not like to share.

The Binding Check is dependent on the Vestige being bound.

Dramatic Failure - The Vestige is bound
    for a default time of 24 hours, for retaliation for proper misuse of its powers, it prohibits suppressing of its Sign and afflicts the binder with its Bane and Ban.
    Failure - The Vestige is bound for a default time of 24 hours, but the binder is under the influence of Ban and Ban
    Success - The Vestige is bound for
    a default time of 24 hours. And it allows the Binder to select whether the binder would be subjected to its Bane or its Ban. It must be one.
    Exceptional Success - No further benefit for successes.

You get the powers the being offers, but you also take the side effects, all of it in accordance to its nature.
    Vestiges are broken down into a small number of categories.
    Name and Title - The Vestige’s name and/or title if any.
    Legend - The story about the Vestige and how it came into being.
    Binding Check - The dice pool used to bind the Vestige. This dicepool
    Sign - The physical manifestation of the vestige upon you, that warps your appearance while you are bound. You may choose to suppress a vestige’s sign by spending a minute to focus and meditate. When suppressed, you may not benefit from any granted powers.
    Ban - The emotional or psychological change inflicted upon you by the Vestige according to its nature. For as long as the Vestige is bound to you, acting against a Vestige’s influence is always a Breaking Point and this applies even while the physical sign is suppressed. If multiple Vestiges have conflicting influences, Exalted Vestiges take priority, followed by Favored Vestiges. If there is a tie, it is up to the Storyteller’s discretion. You do not take Breaking Points from the Vestige that failed to obtain dominance, so long as the Vestige that was prioritized wins out. Vestiges with an influence incompatible with a character, such as in the character’s ambitions conflict with a Vestige’s Influence cannot be bound.
    Bane - Where the Ban is a compulsion, a Bane is a weakness, a malady of the flesh brought upon by binding, a significant effect important to the Vestige when it was whole. Exposure to a Bane hurts the binder. Banes in the form of weapons cause aggravated damage, after applying Armor and other damage negation. Banes can never be suppressed, negated by a Vestige's granted abilities, even if it's a different Vestige that provides resistances or immunities to said bane effect - Vestiges aren't willing to help each other out.

Granted Powers - The abilities granted to you by the Vestige upon binding. Some have stronger or different effects if you are Favored or Exalted, or will not function if you are not of a certain level.

The Burning Prophetess

Legend - The Vestige that constitutes the Burning Prophetess was said to have been a religious leader touched by the divine. Her followers refused to accept her efforts to reform the faith because of her sex and in so doing cast her into the flame, where her spirit lived on. After death, she forgave them and set about a new mission.
    Binding Check - The Burning Prophetess respects kindness but also force of will. Resolve + Empathy
    Sign - Your skin slightly cracks with fire seeping out. Ash and dust pour from your lungs with every exhale.
    Ban - You are compelled to be compassionate to those who you would consider of your kind, especially to those who follow you. You must always show deference if it is at your own expense, though you may intervene if others might be affected by your actions.
    Bane - She burned at the stake. Fire will take you.

Granted Powers
    Cleansing Blaze - Creatures vulnerable to fire, consider all attacks you make against them to have been fire based, unless you or they are wet. Requires Favored.
    Endless Compassion - You may take on the injuries of others. By touching another being, you may takes its injuries into your own flesh.
    For Another’s Sake - As a reflexive action, you may choose to intercept an attack meant for another that is nearby you. You may only due this once per turn, selecting a successful attack.

Challenger Wolf

Legend - The rumors surrounding Challenger Wolf paint him as a spiritual being from the time of Pangea. Some say he is one of Fenris Wolf’s spawn. Others claim him to be a mere werewolf who grew boastful and proud. And still a few claim him to be the remnants of Father Wolf’s killer. Regardless, his vestige offers power and the crave to challenge everyone and everything.
    Binding Check - Challenger Wolf prides physical resilience and dominion. Stamina + Politics
    Sign - Your mouth is wider than it should be and you have a ragged appearance about you, like you had never groomed yourself in months..
    Influence - Your pride swells to an enormous degree. You must accept any challenge for dominance laid against you from someone of equal or near equal competence or threat.
    Bane - Like the werewolves, you are vulnerable to silver weapons.

Granted Powers
    Body of the Wolf - You may become a wolf, functioning as the Urhan form a werewolf would take.
    Strength of the Champion - Your Strength is considered to be 2 dots higher. This improves to 3 dots at Favored.
    Howl of Challenge - You howl in a voice only your chosen opponent can truly hear, and call them out. Distance and location seemingly don’t matter, because all that does is your hatred for each other. Requires Exalted
    Once Per Story.
    Presence + Expression versus the target’s Resolve + Composure
    Dramatic Failure: Your opponent replies, but becomes the one that sets the challenge and rules, abiding by the same restrictions you have when making the challenge, or is free to cancel the challenge altogether.
    Failure: The message fails to be sent entirely.
    Success: You may select a rival or threat you know about, you may call them out for a challenge, specifying a time, location, and an objective. The challenge must be “fair” and you and your opponent must abide by the terms you set to the best of your knowledge and ability.
    If one of you fails to show up, the person who was not there forfeits and considered the loser.
    Exceptional Success: As success, you may choose to add a gamble to the challenge, of which both parties must put at stake 2 things that are of roughly equal value, winner take all.
    Last edited by Almarck; 09-10-2018, 03:29 AM.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
    DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
    Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Interesting.. will read more later.

Oh, and the class was the Binder.

Some ideas from a cursory reading:
    You might want to set the Supernatural Tolerance to the number of Vestiges actually Bound, since they are the real source of power. It is more cumbersome, but doing a simple social roll, or Social Maneuvering, for the Pact might be nice. It could influence the degree of Influence. Influence could simply be stated as assuming their Ban. Perhaps not all powers should be suppressed if you don't display the sign?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Les Mysteres is your cornerstone in principle, build from their powers into what Urging and Claiming can do for you.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
      Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
        Les Mysteres is your cornerstone in principle, build from their powers into what Urging and Claiming can do for you.
        I'm not quite so sure about it. Mostly because I've never gotten used to the Claiming and Urging rules since I never used Immaterial things much... and because well, I am not limiting myself to just Spirits.

The Sign and Influence mechanics are built from the result of what I am porting over. It's possibly simpler, though arguably more gamey.

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
        Interesting.. will read more later.

Oh, and the class was the Binder.

Some ideas from a cursory reading:
        You might want to set the Supernatural Tolerance to the number of Vestiges actually Bound, since they are the real source of power. It is more cumbersome, but doing a simple social roll, or Social Maneuvering, for the Pact might be nice. It could influence the degree of Influence. Influence could simply be stated as assuming their Ban. Perhaps not all powers should be suppressed if you don't display the sign?
        Yeah. V = ST is interesting mechanic, though potentially limiting unless we allow people to have more Vestiges.

Not sure I know what to do for the Binding check though. But it is something that a Binder should manipulate since that's what they did historically.

Last edited by Almarck; 08-30-2018, 06:44 PM.

DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
        Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Almarck View Post

I'm not quite so sure about it. Mostly because I've never gotten used to the Claiming and Urging rules since I never used Immaterial things much... and because well, I am not limiting myself to just Spirits.

The Sign and Influence mechanics are built from the result of what I am porting over. It's possibly simpler, though arguably more gamey.
          Hence "cornerstone in principle". Of course the whole spectrum should be use.

Some other useful comparisons, although not as direct, is looking into how Werewolf and Geist worked as retranslating the Ephemeral Rules and the principles of Influence, Manifestations, and Numina into Gifts and Haunts. Also worth checking out are any examples of weird powers in entries that are possibly related to the physical nature of Claiming. Finally, check out Chris Allen's stuff in general

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
          Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Another option is in addition to or instead of Merit Dots = # of Vestiges able to be bound, you reduce Integrity. At a certain point, make them immune to possess (too crowded), so one of the normal downsides to low Integrity is obviated.

Vestiges should probably be formatted as a small group of powers, one non-sign dependent, one dependent on a good Pact. Or you use the Normal/Favored/Exalted tier and have making a good Pact as a +1. Exalted just locks you into the highest rating.

But use Bans - that's basically what Influence is. Binders essentially are Claiming/Hive-Claiming themselves, but maintain control. Plug-in-Play Claiming.

Comment

Another option is in addition to or instead of Merit Dots = # of Vestiges able to be bound, you reduce Integrity. At a certain point, make them immune to possess (too crowded), so one of the normal downsides to low Integrity is obviated.

Vestiges should probably be formatted as a small group of powers, one non-sign dependent, one dependent on a good Pact. Or you use the Normal/Favored/Exalted tier and have making a good Pact as a +1. Exalted just locks you into the highest rating.

But use Bans - that's basically what Influence is. Binders essentially are Claiming/Hive-Claiming themselves, but maintain control. Plug-in-Play Claiming.

I probably will make it part of being the template.

I will note that Anointed Vessel is the power stat, and instead of having mana or resources to spend, it lets you bind more Vestiges.

Also, yeah I could definately use some streamlining the power structure.

I will likely change and evolve as feedback comes in.

You got suggestions for Vestiges?

Comment

I think Binders should get a bane AND a ban from each spirit currently possesing them. That´s the price of power.
                It also forces the pactmaker to evaluate the pros and cons of binding several vestiges at once.

Comment

I probably will make it part of being the template.

I will note that Anointed Vessel is the power stat, and instead of having mana or resources to spend, it lets you bind more Vestiges.

Also, yeah I could definately use some streamlining the power structure.

I will likely change and evolve as feedback comes in.

You got suggestions for Vestiges?
                  Well, to mirror Tome of Magic, Vestiges are the remnants of things outside of conventional existence. I'd state that they were great powers, gods, legendary figures, etc. (at least, the ones still known) that were more than cast down - they don't exist anymore. Ghosts of ghosts, no amount of searching will let you find the Vestige - they aren't in the Shadow, don't haunt the Underworld, and only the echos of their prior existence drift through the Astral.

To call them forth is almost deceptively simple, if not exactly easy. You need a Soul - they don't respond to the urgings of just anything. You need a Symbol - something that is tied to their legend and prior existence. After that, you call them forth and Seal the deal with them. Despite vast differences and alien mindsets, all Vestiges have one thing in common - they want, need to exist again. Lacking material (or any) form, they do via proxy - inhabiting their caller, for a time.

But you wanted suggestions for examples? Well, given the constraints above, let's plumb the CofD lore for "lost" figures of note...
                  • [Patron of the Julii], Emperor of the Night
                  • Urfarah, the Ultimate Predator
                  • [That Atlantean King], the King of Regret
                  • Iset,
                  • Lucifer, First of the Fallen
                  Originally posted by Raistlin View Post
                  I think Binders should get a bane AND a ban from each spirit currently possesing them. That´s the price of power.
                  It also forces the pactmaker to evaluate the pros and cons of binding several vestiges at once.
                  You know, that could be the "reward" for a successfully negotiated Pact: you get to choose the Ban or​ the Bane. If you fail at negotiations, you are stuck with both.

Comment

Well, to mirror Tome of Magic, Vestiges are the remnants of things outside of conventional existence. I'd state that they were great powers, gods, legendary figures, etc. (at least, the ones still known) that were more than cast down - they don't exist anymore. Ghosts of ghosts, no amount of searching will let you find the Vestige - they aren't in the Shadow, don't haunt the Underworld, and only the echos of their prior existence drift through the Astral.

To call them forth is almost deceptively simple, if not exactly easy. You need a Soul - they don't respond to the urgings of just anything. You need a Symbol - something that is tied to their legend and prior existence. After that, you call them forth and Seal the deal with them. Despite vast differences and alien mindsets, all Vestiges have one thing in common - they want, need to exist again. Lacking material (or any) form, they do via proxy - inhabiting their caller, for a time.

But you wanted suggestions for examples? Well, given the constraints above, let's plumb the CofD lore for "lost" figures of note...
                    • [Patron of the Julii], Emperor of the Night
                    • Urfarah, the Ultimate Predator
                    • [That Atlantean King], the King of Regret
                    • Iset,
                    • Lucifer, First of the Fallen
                    You know, that could be the "reward" for a successfully negotiated Pact: you get to choose the Ban or​ the Bane. If you fail at negotiations, you are stuck with both.
                    Okay, so following that advice, I've updated the binding rules, Vestige rules, terminology, and streamlined things. More adjustments in the future, I guess, but I think I have nailed things down.

As to Vestiges. Well, I guess some of that works. Granted, I was thinking of stuff that's more... "could have existed", though not "setting critical" similar to how the original Vestiges were in Tome of Magic. They were figures who were important enough to Fade into Legend, but never so important that the existences of their Vestiges changed much, barring a few Shout Outs.

like, for instance, an Urfarah Vestige is a fucking big deal, which is why I used Challenger Wolf instead, something that could have existed.

Comment

As to Vestiges. Well, I guess some of that works. Granted, I was thinking of stuff that's more... "could have existed", though not "setting critical" similar to how the original Vestiges were in Tome of Magic. They were figures who were important enough to Fade into Legend, but never so important that the existences of their Vestiges changed much, barring a few Shout Outs.

like, for instance, an Urfarah Vestige is a fucking big deal, which is why I used Challenger Wolf instead, something that could have existed.
                      And that's fine. I was just throwing out ideas. Feel free to do one-off of any if the above so they aren't instantly recognizable.

Comment

Okay, so following that advice, I've updated the binding rules, Vestige rules, terminology, and streamlined things. More adjustments in the future, I guess, but I think I have nailed things down.

Maybe, but you cannot deny binding Urfarah in order to milk him for power has a lot of potential jimmy rustling when the PCs meet Urathas.

Comment

So enemies, rivals, allies, and mighty supporters of the big set pieces. Little known and possibly heretical side stories of the great myths that underpin the cosmology. And quite possibly just famous supernaturals, perhaps? I dig it.

Vampire is so rich with mythology and might be true tales it's scary. Sister of the Crone, rendered down for a blasphemous working. What remained after even her ghost was used beyond its ability to recover? Childe of Dracula, he took his work in a heretical direction, becoming a monster among monsters that had to be eliminated. What terrible transmutations could he have wrought on his damaged soul, and were the records all found and successfully destroyed? A powerful Strix, the bane of civilizations in the past, who became a bit too arrogant and was destroyed in detail. But the cult it had gathered fled and carried its story and markings with them. These are but a few of the Vestiges waiting in the utmost dark of non-existence.

Werewolf has its Challenger Wolf, but he is but one of many tall tales. Urrfarah may have failed to eliminate some of his prey, who survived as the Hosts, but he did have his share of unambiguous victories, some of which may cling still to the barest edge of an existence they cannot feel. On the other hand, the Firstborn were not completely free of casualties. Death Wolf may have returned from the land of the dead, but that does not mean a sibling could not be less fortunate. And what happened to those Idgam banished to the Moon who were drained completely of Essence? Were all traces of them truly wiped from the surface of the Earth? Could a curious find from the Moon landings have been lost from the vaults of NASA? Food for thought, that.

Mage has a whole realm of Things-That-Cannot-Be-But-Are, the Abyss. Is this where the Vestiges cling, or is even this anti-reality too close to reality? What happens when one of the Anunnaki is struck down for good in battle with an Archmage, or vice-versa? The Old Gods of the Supernal were cast out of their holdings and Bound, but some may well have necessitated more... permanent measures. But were they truly enough? And speaking of upheaval in the Supernal, the Oracles waged war on the Exarchs, or so the story goes. Is any war ever free of casualties? How about collateral damage? The Mages ever pursue their mysteries with zeal, helped along by Sleepwalker assistants, and sometimes a clue may present itself to Watson that Sherlock cannot see.

Prometheans encounter the Quashmalin, messengers of the Principle. Though mighty, these servants are nevertheless not immutable nor invulnerable. Perhaps a few that gave up everything in the pursuit of their mission still try when they can to fulfill their role. Then there is the question, what happens to the Created who die for good, with no resurrection? What is left when a proto-soul of an old Promethean passes into the great beyond?

Changelings are abducted by the True Fae, who leave a bundle of whatever is at hand and a scrap of shadow behind in their place. Though these Fetches are perfect copies, except for one aspect that is missing, they are often slain by Changelings out of hand. Oh what might be made of such a simulacra that managed to leave enough of an impact on history that their name is known far and wide, only to be killed in the end. As for the enigmatic masters, nothing so much as living stories, the Gentry struggle mightily among each other to avoid losing what they are to the chaos of Arcadia. Some do though; the story ends, but may well not be forgotten.

Sin-Eaters are all about the ghosts, and who better to witness the great tragedies of the Underworld, of ghosts' (and stranger beings') final moments in the Great Below, and carry their stories and symbols to the surface to tell their confidants, or blubber drunkenly at the bar? Then again, sometimes one reaches for contact from the other side, and what answers is even deader than one usually expects.

Mummies, when they can remember that far back, recall the time of Irem, and the many demons, gods and alien things the Shan'iatu dealt with. Some may well have been infamous and made an example of. Mummies contend with Amakhat, the twisted inversions of Sekhem and children of Amut. Sometimes these abominations can be destroyed for good, or so the Mummies hope. And the Mummies themselves, when they are destroyed, their cults culled and their names erased may yet leave a story and a sign of their existence.

Comment

Working...
                          X